Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Because only mad tossers would have any interest in it.

Wait... :eek:

Maybe not..........

Yeah that is true, sure no one likes super cars. You would see any amount of them around Roscommon., its a bit like Dubai in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Why do you think that was a mad idea?

Location, Location, Location.

It was more a vanity project. If you want a museum then either place it in a major city (Schlumpf, Le Mans, Autohaus) or else offer something along with it (Manoir d'Automobile in Loheac or Classic Remise in Berlin), or put it somewhere near a lot of people with good infrastructure nearby (Technik Museum Sinsheim, British Motor Museum).

If you wanted people to look at cars then in or near Dublin is the place. Having it down a boreen in north Roscommon is not a good idea. If it had becvome a success then getting there and back would have been a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

KevRossi wrote: »
    Location, Location, Location.

It was more a vanity project. If you want a museum then either place it in a major city (Schlumpf, Le Mans, Autohaus) or else offer something along with it (Manoir d'Automobile in Loheac or Classic Remise in Berlin), or put it somewhere near a lot of people with good infrastructure nearby (Technik Museum Sinsheim, British Motor Museum).

If you wanted people to look at cars then in or near Dublin is the place. Having it down a boreen in north Roscommon is not a good idea. If it had becvome a success then getting there and back would have been a disaster.

Look at all the visitors Arigna mine gets every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Visited a wonderful car museum in Nelson on the South Island NZ last year. Best to have visitor attractions geographically spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Water John wrote: »
    Visited a wonderful car museum in Nelson on the South Island NZ last year. Best to have visitor attractions geographically spread.

Are there water charges in that neck of the woods John?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Actually don't know, was just visiting. Great public health insurance. for example if you get a sprain, doesn't matter whether at work or sport, you visit your GP who certifies you. your off work (paid) and get physio sessions. So good you don't need insurance to drive a car, if you don't want to.
    Really off topic, see a mod peeping over the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Water John wrote: »
    Actually don't know, was just visiting. Great public health insurance. for example if you get a sprain, doesn't matter whether at work or sport, you visit your GP who certifies you. your off work (paid) and get physio sessions. So good you don't need insurance to drive a car, if you don't want to.
    Really off topic, see a mod peeping over the horizon.

Good observation, John.

Adios.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Odelay

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Look at all the visitors Arigna mine gets every year.

I hear they are moving it to Dublin next year to get more visitors from the Guinness Storehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The legal entity of former Garda Kevin Taylor is suing KBC/Garda Comissioner/Security Company
    for physical and psychological injuries he says he sustained during the eviction in Co Roscommon two years ago.

He's even engaged conventional legal representation! Wonders will never cease.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/ex-garda-sues-bank-andstate-for-alleged-assault-at-disputed-farmhouse-eviction-39820216.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

there should be no story here , they should have been turfed out long ago , the issue has been hijacked by SF populist types who think railing against the banks endlessly will deliver more votes

repossessions are far too few and far between in this country , its why mortgage rates are so high , ignore spoofers like Pierce Doherty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    there should be no story here , they should have been turfed out long ago , the issue has been hijacked by SF populist types who think railing against the banks endlessly will deliver more votes

repossessions are far too few and far between in this country , its why mortgage rates are so high , ignore spoofers like Pierce Doherty

I cant believe politicians at pierces level would back this farce , far enough the bailiffs that said they were not irish should be shot but it should have gone no further then that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I cant believe politicians at pierces level would back this farce , far enough the bailiffs that said they were not irish should be shot but it should have gone no further then that

Why? We are in the EU, bailiffs from any other EU country can work here and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's a bit like Trump encouraging people to ignore the law (when it suits them)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

3 scumbags will serve 15 years.

This case was complicated however there can be no excuses for the violence against persons and an animal on the night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

15 years are pretty hefty sentences alright. Some of them didn't exactly help themselves...

Before imposing sentence, Judge Baxter asked O’Toole, who was representing himself, if he wished to address the court or to seek the assistance of counsel. O’Toole said: “I’ve been denied the right to a free and fair trial because my legal team refused to take my instructions, that’s all I have to say”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

15 years is a crazy length of time for what they did. It's regarded as an attack on the longer arm of the 'great and the good' in this country, i.e. the financial institutions. Mad how you can spend a couple fo decades raping kids and get half that sentence. Or fcuk the country up financially and you get no sentence at all.

5 years each would have done them. FWIW I would have know Paul Beirne back in his 20's and 30's and I never got on with him, always thought him to be a hotheaded prlck, but this is excessively harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

I wonder if all those who participated are still happy they tried to help these millionaires hold onto the land they borrowed for and failed to pay back. The family out bid many locals for land that came up as the other locals actually intended paying back the loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Not long enough some might say..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Allinall

No sympathy for them at all.

They won't be able to do similar for a long time, and it may well deter others from such thuggery.

Well done judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭apache

Was it not a brutal sustained beating though? All the weapons they used. It must have been terrifying. And the abuse of the dog and the setting fire to vehicles and breaking into the house. It was mayhem. A good sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

They deserve every bit of that sentence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

All of this, and they showed no remorse for their actions whatsoever. Society is better without them in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I assume the farmer involved contributed a hefty sum of money to their legal defences and stood with them each day in court....................

No, I'm joking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The man was in a hole and when offered a chance by the judge he tries to dig his way to Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

pity consecutive sentencing is not the norm here - they'd then rot behind bars.

Utterly barbaric actions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Make up your mind buddy - you either want strong sentences or weak ones. You can't be whinging about certain crimes not being given adequate jailtime while claiming these violent sociopaths should only be given 5 years.

Personally I'm delighted these scumbags have been locked away for a very long time - good riddance to them

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Don’t ever mess with the grubby money lenders is the message it sounds out

15 years is outrageous

Is there a “good Republican” angle to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Undoubtedly - Boards resident Shinnerbots are already mobilizing to decry the severity of the sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They made a guy get down on his knees and eat dogshít (that came out of a dog that they had battered half to death) under the threat of death, and you think that's fine because... banks.

You're broken.

Advertisement