Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,739 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What about the big sheds...what’s in those bad boys.
    I'm not sure talking about the whole property. I'm talking only about the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm talking about harmless people here in that they are not that capable of looking after themselves.
    There originally wasn't a mortgage, the other brother re-mortgaged the property. He deserves nothing, he deserves to be turfed out on the street. I'm talking about two very poor, very harmless siblings.
    If you don't have any sympathy for them then imo you are deserving of any bad luck that comes your way.

I'm pretty sure the social welfare system will look after all 3 of them - especially in a high-profile case like this where they'll be seen as a high priority. It shouldn't be difficult to find an empty 3-bedroom bungalow in rural Roscommon, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fritzbox wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the social welfare system will look after all 3 of them - especially in a high-profile case like this where they'll be seen as a high priority. It shouldn't be difficult to find an empty 3-bedroom bungalow in rural Roscommon, surely?

With a few big sheds down the back?

Might be...

bubblypop wrote:
    People can have sympathy for these two people, but it's the fault of the brother that they are losing their home. If they cannot look after themselves it's now the job of the state to look after them That's also the brothers fault. So, yeah, I'm sure most people do have sympathy for them, but they can't stay in the house, that their brother didn't pay for.
    While that's one way if looking at it, it's also the case that the house should never have been included in any re-mortgage due to their lifetime part ownership of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'm talking about harmless people here in that they are not that capable of looking after themselves.
    There originally wasn't a mortgage, the other brother re-mortgaged the property. He deserves nothing, he deserves to be turfed out on the street. I'm talking about two very poor, very harmless siblings.
    If you don't have any sympathy for them then imo you are deserving of any bad luck that comes your way.

They have other properties. The sister lives elsewhere and only moved in while this sh1te was happening.

Brendan, you've mentioned sheds are few times in the thread now. Could you enlighten us as to what relevance sheds have?

• Advertisement

While that's one way if looking at it, it's also the case that the house should never have been included in any re-mortgage due to their lifetime part ownership of it.

Well legally that's not true.
    My grandfather left the house to one of my uncles, my grandmother had lifetime rights to live there.
    That was no barrier to my uncle borrowing against the house, it was his responsibility to make payments. His responsibility to make sure his mother was not thrown out on the streets.
    Luckily my uncle did actually pay his debts, so my grandmother lived there till she died.

pablo128 wrote: »
    They have other properties. The sister lives elsewhere and only moved in while this sh1te was happening.

Brendan, you've mentioned sheds are few times in the thread now. Could you enlighten us as to what relevance sheds have?

That’s what I’m trying to find out Pablo, very big impressive edifices attached to a rather run down dwelling.....duddn’t kind of click if you get my drift.

Jus wondering....

That’s what I’m trying to find out Pablo, very big impressive edifices attached to a rather run down dwelling.....duddn’t kind of click if you get my drift.

Jus wondering....

Imagine having farm buildings on a farm. I still don't understand what relevance it has to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

What do you suggest the bank should do?

Imagine having farm buildings on a farm. I still don't understand what relevance it has to this thread.

Sorry bout that Pablo, the incongruity between the farm buildings and the dwelling is palpable .

Hope that clears things up.

• Advertisement

Sorry bout that Pablo, the incongruity between the farm buildings and the dwelling is palpable .

Hope that clears things up.

No it doesn't clear up what relevance it has to this thread. You have made numerous references to sheds, and for the life of me I can't understand why.

No it doesn't clear up what relevance it has to this thread. You have made numerous references to sheds, and for the life of me I can't understand why.

Okey dokey so.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

While I still don't approve of the eviction, this is absolutely the way it should be handled and should have been handled from the beginning, with state enforcement of court orders rather than lawless thugs from private security firms. It's repulsive that they're allowed to be involved to begin with, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Odelay wrote: »
    What do you suggest the bank should do?

Make it much harder for everyone else who wants to borrow money against a residential asset (ie obtain a mortgage) by demanding huge up front deposits;

screw them on interest rates even though money is practically free in the Euro zone at the moment thanks to "quantitive easing" so that they, the banks, can leech off people who ARE paying their mortgages to cover the costs of shysters like the Strokestown Stroke pullers;

Obtain Government support by allowing speculators to sit on vacant properties or undeveloped sites without any tax liability so that the market remains starved of property and prices soar for those who already have property, or indeed propertIES;

oh wait.....isn't that all happening already?

Happy now, Eagle Eye? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Fritzbox wrote: »

The brother owns a guest house aswell no reason for the to be homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Report in the Irish Times today says that the army will be buying 120 trucks at a cost of nearly €25m from a company based in Strokestown!!!!

For those not paying to enter the paywall:
    The Defence Forces are to receive 120 new 4x4 vehicles at a cost of almost €25 million to the State.

Minister with Responsibility for Defence Paul Kehoe awarded the contract for the provision of vehicles to Westward Scania, which is a company based in Strokestown, Co Roscommon. The cost of the contract will be €24.6 million including VAT.

So each truck costs 200 grand!! Isn't that rather a lot? And it goes to a company in Strokestown of all places.

A political move?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,243 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Report in the Irish Times today says that the army will be buying 120 trucks at a cost of nearly €25m from a company based in Strokestown!!!!

The Defence Forces are to receive 120 new 4x4 vehicles at a cost of almost €25 million to the State.

Minister with Responsibility for Defence Paul Kehoe awarded the contract for the provision of vehicles to Westward Scania, which is a company based in Strokestown, Co Roscommon. The cost of the contract will be €24.6 million including VAT.

So each truck costs 200 grand!! Isn't that rather a lot? And it goes to a company in Strokestown of all places.

A political move?

Westward scania are the biggest scania dealer in the country. I cant comment on the price because i dont know how much they cost new but if you are buying scania trucks they are the place to buy them from. I think you're reading too much into a coincidence. they didnt decide to buy these trucks yesterday.

They own the rights to Scania in Ireland. Two brothers, very wealthy men.

They own the rights to Scania in Ireland. Two brothers, very wealthy men.

they have a massive operation down there. I wonder if they are still using the computer system i installed for them back in 1998.

I wonder did they store some of them in the ‘big sheds’.

Things are hotting up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

A political move?
    Here is the original tender document, all very transparent and advertised throughout the EU. Always welcome to challenge the result if you feel it was unfair https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/211319

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

caff wrote: »
    The brother owns a guest house aswell no reason for the to be homeless

I’m sure they don’t let their guests stay for free.
    Any connection between these two and the Scania brothers?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Ah ! Lookit!! Two lads just scratchin a livin ....why should they pay anything to the national coffers ?

No....fcuck tax an insurance ,,,,an fcuck rivinue as well ....Ris-common bize wowon't be bullied !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ah ! Lookit!! Two lads just scratchin a livin ....why should they pay anything to the national coffers ?

No....fcuck tax an insurance ,,,,an fcuck rivinue as well ....Ris-common bize wowon't be bullied !!

You on the turps, amigo?

What?? Westward scania have been in business for decades and have no connection to the people being evicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

A political move?

Ah here, you`re on the wrong track with this. Westward Scania are and have been one of the biggest and best truck dealers in the country. Only natural they would be looking at tenders and would be in a position to supply. You will not win any Government tender these days unless all your ducks are in line

The McGanns have agreed to vacate the property. https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/1023/1173574-strokestown/
    I feel sorry for the brother and sister, who seem to be innocent victims of their brother’s actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The psa got their piece of the pie anyway.
    PSA prosecutes company for providing security services at Falsk, Co.
    Roscommon

Today, the 16th October 2020, GS Agencies Limited of Portadown, Craigavon,
    Co. Armagh was found guilty at Castlerea District Court of 6 breaches of
    the Private Security Services Act. The prosecution by the Private Security
    Authority followed the provision of an unlicensed security guard service at
    Falsk, Strokestown, Co. Roscommon in December 2018. Judge Deirdre Gearty
    fined the company €500 on each of 6 counts with costs of €7,500 awarded
    against the company.

The PSA’s Chief Executive, Paul Scallan, speaking after the court case said
    “This prosecution stems from investigations conducted around security
    services which were provided subsequent to a repossession of a property in
    Strokestown in 2018. While the PSA does not have any statutory role in
    regulating repossessions, we do regulate any security services which occur
    post a repossession. In this instance, a security guarding service was
    provided at a location in Falsk in the days following the repossession.
    Such services require a PSA licence and in this instance, the security
    provider, GS Agencies Limited was unlicensed.”

“I would like to acknowledge the commitment of our inspection team in
    investigating this matter. We are committed to eradicating unlicensed
    security services and our inspectors continue to conduct compliance
    activities across the county.”

The Private Security Authority (PSA), an agency of the Department of
    Justice and Equality, is responsible for the regulation and licensing of
    the security industry. The PSA licences over 1,400 contractors and 30,000
    employees. As well as contractors providing security guarding services, the
    PSA also licences intruder alarm, CCTV and access control services,
    locksmiths, private investigators, event security and door supervisors.
    Details on the PSA and licensing can be found on our website,
    www.psa.gov.ie .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    This is farm land, bidx1 (formally allsop) will sell your mother's wedding ring but recently had to end all involvement with the sale of repossessed Farm land

Farmers have zero regard for the law when it comes to banks trying to enforce debts on land, I was raised on a farm BTW

Hi there

Old post, so I'm not sure if you'll see this.

Can you elaborate a bit on "Farmers have zero regard for the law when it comes to banks trying to enforce debts on land".

Is this due to farm areas being a bit more lawless and people doing what they want (I have no ideas if this is true) or is it something specific about land laws?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The McGanns have agreed to vacate the property. https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/1023/1173574-strokestown/
    I feel sorry for the brother and sister, who seem to be innocent victims of their brother’s actions.

I doubt they are quite as innocent as you are making out.

Advertisement