Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow vest movement ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And you need to continue paying for it. But not just your own.
    Water isn't something you buy once. Its ongoing. It needs paying for forever.

Unless we just shut off mains water and let everyone buy their own bottles. But sure then we may as well just meter everyone and let each person pay for their own...............

chip chip chip

Its this constant chipping away and services that ordinarily would have been provided for by the State and pushing them into Private Hands is what has nations where they are today. Degredation in what your tax actually gives you, less on less year on year.

Sure dont we all have to tighten our belts.

Sure its the people on Social welfare that are the problem.

Sure its the foreigners.

Sure its.....

Chip Chip Chip Chip Chip Chip.

Its any wonder the Island is still alive with all the services we provided to people over the last 100 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

listermint wrote: »
    chip chip chip

Its this constant chipping away and services that ordinarily would have been provided for by the State and pushing them into Private Hands is what has nations where they are today. Degredation in what your tax actually gives you, less on less year on year.

Sure its the foreigners.

Sure its.....

Its any wonder the Island is still alive with all the services we provided to people over the last 100 years..

Who said anything about privatisation? -the only people who ever said anything about privatising the water were those opposing it.

As for the last 100 years. Is the population the same as 100 years ago or has it gone up? Its a wonder we needed all those houses built in the last 100 years. Surely we had enough? Would you get by on the household income your family had 100 years ago?

All this governmenting stuff is easy, anyone could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The worst thing about politics and class wars is how it sets Irish person against Irish person against Irish residents. What constitutes a hard working person?
    If you tax high earners heavy, what message does that send to those who aspire to better themselves to become one of those higher earners? Why bother if most the money you or your parents put into studies is going elsewhere? Do we want to be a country that rewards smart workers as well as hard workers? And how do we do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jmayo wrote: »
    I am one of the many thousands that pay for my own water and sewage, I don't get to tell revenue to divert a few grand towards the installation and upkeep of my well or my sewage system.

Now if you want a demonstration against the entitlement culture and classes in this country I might be interested.

Or you could look at it from the perspective of you choosing to live somewhere off the mains and complaining because you have to provide your own solution as a result.

But don't feel too bad.. I'm sure you also paid less for the house and land than your urban counterparts and probably have a bigger house and more land in a quieter area, less traffic and other benefits to make up for it.

This argument always comes across as bitter that the taxpayer won't subsidise your choice to live in an area where its not economical to provide a service. You could always move.

And everyone already pays for the provision of water through general taxation, unless you think its funded by good thoughts and generosity. All Irish Water adds to the equation is a hugely expensive layer of unnecessary administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Who said anything about privatisation? -the only people who ever said anything about privatising the water were those opposing it.

As for the last 100 years. Is the population the same as 100 years ago or has it gone up? Its a wonder we needed all those houses built in the last 100 years. Surely we had enough? Would you get by on the household income your family had 100 years ago?

All this governmenting stuff is easy, anyone could do it.

chip chip chip chip chip chip.

Youd have us like the UK, universal credit

or the US, where non one can afford healthcare unless their company pays for it.

chip chip chip

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

People are odd,

We are actually part of this bio sphere, the bio sphere created us , Basically we are they same thing as the world we live in,

Will climates changes because of us yes they will have an effect but that just part of the bio sphere evolving its going to happen no mater what,

Its like you see add's that animas are going extinct and we most save them but they fail to tell you that 99% of all Earth species to have lived on this planet are now Extinct ,It happened since time began ,

We get so caught up in our little time frame we imagine everything is new, but its all happened before , Don't be to worried about things you can't effect and enjoy your life ,

Go into your local mosque and tell them that

"We are all one.....the earth is but one biosphere.....why can't zebras and lions get along bla bla bla"

You would be rightfully laughed out of court. No matter how hard you try, you will always be a dirty infidel and morally inferior to them.. even moreso as a liberal

Funny how you lefties love to demonise Conservatives and Traditionalists in your own country.....when the worst a Conservative Traditionalist will do is disagree with you.

While you'll defend an Islamic regime that would have you put to death.... you nick those that point out that fact.

But worry not stupid younger liberal brothers.......we Conservative Traditionalist are like the older wiser brother.that tries to put you right.........but your youthful arrogance gets the better of you.

One day in future.......when Liberals are in Sharia Prison Cells awaiting beating and hanging................. they'll be laughing to themselves about how they didn't listen to their older wiser brothers

The older wiser brother that they threw under the bus.........this big softie rightists.who they used to whinge over

When they are under Sharia Law.....they will BEG to have us back as their foremost concern

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭AbdulAbhaile

Lux23 wrote: »
    And how do they ensure that you're actually Joe Bloggs, do they just take your word for it?

Facial recognition on their fancy new mobile devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

mammajamma wrote: »
    The fuel tax in France was just the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of French people. It could easily have been a plastic tax, a housing tax, an onion tax that tipped it over the edge

It is but the real reason working class french from more rural regions are pissed off is because of decade of austerity, continued privatization or elimination of public services and tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations.

Wage growth for ordinary french has only grown 1% per annum since 1983 while cost of living has far exceeded that. Couple that with the government closing a vast number of public hospitals and schools in rural areas and yes taxing them heavily on top of that for essential fuel was the straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

listermint wrote: »
    chip chip chip

It should stay in public hands but pay by use makes sense.

When it comes to water it’s the lads with swimming pools who are the problem. But everybody should pay.
    Sure its the foreigners.

Not sure they over use water.

When I think about it the water protests were our yellow vest moment. An anti tax, anti environmental uprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

There was an ice age 30,000 years ago and ther will be one again soon yet people blame humans for climate change??
    Donald , c'est toi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Unlike a few years ago, the cost of living in France is now just as high as Ireland

-Price of food is almost the same for the same size shop, if anything it's more expensive in France

- while car insurance is cheaper, the price of used cars in france is far more expensive, anyone who doubts this can compare leboncoin to done deal. In Ireland i'd be happy spending 3k to 4k to get something that'll get me from A to B. In france you'd have to pay close to double that.

- mortgages are generally lower interest rates in France but I reckon smaller term loans are about the same.

-very hard to compare house prices because just like Ireland there are massive differences depending in location.
    but one thing for sure, is that the french live in much smaller houses with much smaller gardens or no garden, also they are far more chances of them settling for renting.

-no bin charges in France,
    phones, electricty, internet roughly the same

Overall cost of living very close to that of ireland

Problem is, wages and take home pay is far far less in France. It's very common for so-called middle class people not to be able make it to the end of the month.

The gilet jaune is very real, much more so than anything I've ever seen in Ireland. Nothing to do with this left/right bolloxology they simply haven't enough money to pay the bills and feed the kids.

^

Also the property and habitation tax.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

This argument always comes across as bitter that the taxpayer won't subsidise your choice to live in an area where its not economical to provide a service. You could always move.

It's not economical to provide water to people who don't pay for it but we still do.

Still so many posters here trying to paint this as a mere "tax issue".

I thought it would have been fairly obvious to anybody familiar with recent years that such an assessment is nonsense.

France is in flat out revolt for its very future

Try and reduce it to economic arguments all you want.....but the truth is, is that France is in revolt against the EU model.

And hopeful Ireland is to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The gilet jaune is very real, much more so than anything I've ever seen in Ireland. Nothing to do with this left/right bolloxology they simply haven't enough money to pay the bills and feed the kids.

This from someone I know in France

"The rioting has gone really out of control, while coming back from work in Lyon in a work van, we were refused entry onto the autoroute by drunken rioters and that is the problem, every little **** that feels like it can go our put on a gilet jaune and act like a policeman

The gilet jaune are breaking into shops,  looting and generally having a massive party, ...they are now attacking banks, with the police outgunned and outnumbered. A lot of pissheads having a big party. The Arch de Triumph was trashed last week, the museum inside destroyed"

In a nutshell stopping people trying to pay the bills and feed the kids...

gozunda wrote: »
    This from someone I know in France

"The rioting has gone really out of control, while coming back from work in Lyon in a work van, we were refused entry onto the autoroute by drunken rioters and that is the problem, every little **** that feels like it can go our put on a gilet jaune and act like a policeman

The gilet jaune are breaking into shops,  looting and generally having a massive party, ...they are now attacking banks, with the police outgunned and outnumbered. A lot of pissheads having a big party. The Arch de Triumph was trashed last week, the museum inside destroyed"

In a nutshell stopping people trying to pay the bills and feed the kids...

Oh yeah, that's all that the potection of European civilisation and it's culture mounts to nowadays in the eyes of One Worlders

"a bunch of pissheads on the loose"

No doubt if it were Muslims protesting in France

[B)] there would be some food reason for it [/b]

But no doubt ...if Muslims start the usual guff tomorrow....there will be some excuse about how Muslims are not been accepted into France

Only right wing protestors are considered bad

No doubt we'll be hearing about"The Religion of Peace" when France gets back to day togocer and

And Liberal Logic 101

Make those who don't agree with us imprisoned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

DS86DS wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that's all that the potection of European civilisation and it's culture mounts to nowadays in the eyes of One Worlders"a bunch of pissheads on the loose"No doubt if it were Muslims protesting in France[B)] there would be some food reason for it [/b]

And your point is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Stay off the drugs. They are not doing you any favours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

As yes, it's the usual 'I want to pay less taxes and get better services' rant.

Luckily OP, there are plenty of political parties established in Ireland for the sole purpose of pandering to people such as yourself.

May you always remain a minority or god help the rest of us.

You're already ****ing paying more than people do in france which has the best health service in the world so what the **** are you talking about people wanting stuff for free????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Apparently they have banned the sale of yellow vests in Egypt and in France another yellow vest protester has died, hit by a truck, six now dead there since the protests started.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Go into your local mosque and tell them that

"We are all one.....the earth is but one biosphere.....why can't zebras and lions get along bla bla bla"

You would be rightfully laughed out of court. No matter how hard you try, you will always be a dirty infidel and morally inferior to them.. even moreso as a liberal

Funny how you lefties love to demonise Conservatives and Traditionalists in your own country.....when the worst a Conservative Traditionalist will do is disagree with you.

While you'll defend an Islamic regime that would have you put to death.... you nick those that point out that fact.

But worry not stupid younger liberal brothers.......we Conservative Traditionalist are like the older wiser brother.that tries to put you right.........but your youthful arrogance gets the better of you.

One day in future.......when Liberals are in Sharia Prison Cells awaiting beating and hanging................. they'll be laughing to themselves about how they didn't listen to their older wiser brothers

The older wiser brother that they threw under the bus.........this big softie rightists.who they used to whinge over

When they are under Sharia Law.....they will BEG to have us back as their foremost concern

I see where you're coming from.
    Any liberal fck wit I know are usually old money brats, more than likely living in plush pads paid for by mummy an daddy.

I came across them protesting against the gulf war at their camp outside Drumgeely flats in Shannon.

Not one of these goons we're your normal working class individual, mostly with name's like Fiacra Oisine and Isobel... from fairly affluent background s....
    Usually college degree addict's, degree's in Art's, Humanities and that rubbish.

None of them can hold onto a job as they're just what I would call educated idiot's.
    Always embroiled in controversy.

Anyhow these liberals think because they're "nice people" the Sharia wouldn't effect them... because they're sweet and nice...

Well guess what ?

They'll string you up for breaking laws in their country.

I used to follow some leftie snob who was a bikini model and so called vegan/femminist /social justice warrior....

She's all for uniting the world, peace on earth and love...

Then harp's on about #metoo and all that stuff.
    Go back a few weeks on her Twitter account, she makes a mockery out of some dude falling over a pier and getting hurt...

The irony of the left, absolute narcissm...

gozunda wrote: »
    And your point is?

Something something something, evil Eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

France is in flat out revolt for its very future

Try and reduce it to economic arguments all you want.....but the truth is, is that France is in revolt against the EU model.

And hopeful Ireland is to follow.

It has nothing to do with EU model or nationalism. That's nonsense spewed by people like Charlie Kirk who is paid to say those things by huge mega donors.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So you have never forgotten your wallet ever in your whole life?
    I find that hard to believe.
    And for the leave it in your car argument,all grown ups drive different cars at times.
    The punishment doesn't fit the crime simple as.
    The people that drive without tax/insurance don't care if they lose their licence because they will continue on without it anyway.
    Its the law abiding honest person (the 99%) who will suffer from ****e like this.
    The 'law-abiding' people who are breaking the law are the ones who will be punished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Heard Paul Murphy mentioning earlier after been asked what is he actually protesting about on Saturday for the tenth time.

The homeless he says yeah the homeless!!!!

Someone need to explain how the yellow vest protest in France started.

Anyway his smug head been there Saturday is enough for me to know what this is all about.

Free houses for the non tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

How are you paying for the milk? With the cash or card that's in your wallet beside your licence by any chance?

Last time I did it was yesterday and I tapped the phone to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

Tin foil hat. Is it a coincidence or just a simple brain washed approach by our state owned TV to have a show about direct provisions followed by a significant (silent)signing of the UN PACT. I mentioned the pact to my 70 year old mother. She's sold on the pact without even reading it. Sad times. Right or wrong this pact may be, the media dictates the minds of the minions. And no disrespect to my mother, she has a busy life and can only only have faith in the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Theres nearly a 70% tax on fuel here if you think that should be increased you are nuts
    I wouldn't have a problem with that if corresponding taxes on labour were reduced.

• Advertisement

But no doubt ...if Muslims start the usual guff tomorrow....there will be some excuse about how Muslims are not been accepted into France

Only right wing protestors are considered bad

No doubt we'll be hearing about"The Religion of Peace" when France gets back to day togocer and

And Liberal Logic 101

Make those who don't agree with us imprisoned

I think the protestors were from all parts of France including les Banlieus

Advertisement