Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow vest movement ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Used to be the way, but nowadays anybody over 23 can enter college as a mature student

A low % of places are set aside for mature students! Not anybody over 23 can just start any course they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Would you walk 20 or 30km to work?

That is neither the point nor what you said. You claimed increasing costs on cars regardless of public transport is uniquely Irish. It isn't and that is what I commented on.

It’s all Leo’s fault!!!

Did anyone say that?

Leo was on tv last week saying he has sleepless nights regarding homeless etc... Does he ****!

Scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mammajamma wrote: »
    The fuel tax in France was just the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of French people. It could easily have been a plastic tax, a housing tax, an onion tax that tipped it over the edge

The reaction is not indicative of peoples attitude to climate problems, rather an outcry against "everything".

There are just so many things going wrong in Europe that climate change is one problem amongst hundreds. Yes, it obviously has greater long-term impact, but I have the inclination that the world is has accepted it and is instead engaged in a "who'll be the last man standing" competition.

The American government, basically, pulled out of climate agreements because it gave the likes of china way too much advantage. I can agree with that stance. Why should an irish person be fretting over separating bins when they know that India is a cesspool of filth comparatively?

Either this is all equal, no concessions for being late to the party as a developed country, or else this isn't going anywhere.

Anyway, good times ahead!

I would agree with much of that - however the French are a nation of whingers even at the best of times

Road (motor) tax in France was abolished for private vehicles in 2001 ...

I would look at this pushing of the concept of carbon emissions as a tax and whom it benefits most.

Tbh most of the planet is neither signed up to or gives a proverbial about how much carbon or other greenhouse gases are being produced and yet here are the masses being squeezed by the main parties behind the EU. What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

Effective in delaying the inevitable.
    were water charges reintroduced ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The French like a riot.
    The Irish like to moan.

Alternatively..

The French get out and protest until the politicians remember that they are there to serve the electorate, not the other way around.

The Irish whinge and moan but rarely stand up for themselves. Part of that is the divide and conquer "us vs them" tactic that is used so effectively in this country, but a lot of it is the me fein attitudes.

Last real protest was against the farce and scandal around Irish water and it worked.. Before that was what? Anti drug protests in the 90s? That worked too.

If we want real change in our lives we need to make our voices heard effectively

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

gozunda wrote: »
    Tbh most of the planet is neither signed up to or gives a proverbial about how much carbon or other greenhouse gases are being produced and yet here are the masses being squeezed by EU. What gives?
    Somebody has to. It won't just go away if we all stick our fingers in our ears. I would rather we attempted something rather than said "fvck it, we'll go out in a blaze of glory, enjoy ourselves".

The problem is that the individual has trouble with this. Just like you're saying, "China isn't doing anything, so why should we?", the farmer in France is also saying, "Chinese farmers don't have to pay carbon tax, why should I?".

People can't be trusted to act in their own long term interests, they have to be pushed.

But carbon tax is not an incentive. A suggestion I heard during the week was to repay carbon taxes back to people. So if we take in €200 of carbon tax per person, you give them a €200 cheque in December, then you hike their carbon tax by 5% and give them €210 the following December.

People can then see that it's not a cynical tax to extract more money from their pockets, but an honest attempt to reduce carbon emissions. And people will reduce their use of fossil fuels to try and save money and then pat themselves on the back for "cheating" the system when they still get their fuel fossil fuel rebate at the end of the year.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Alternatively..

The French get out and protest until the politicians remember that they are there to serve the electorate, not the other way around.

The Irish whinge and moan but rarely stand up for themselves. Part of that is the divide and conquer "us vs them" tactic that is used so effectively in this country, but a lot of it is the me fein attitudes.

Last real protest was against the farce and scandal around Irish water and it worked.. Before that was what? Anti drug protests in the 90s? That worked too.

If we want real change in our lives we need to make our voices heard effectively

Yeh Irelands towns and Citys are not littered with drug since the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

You're right OP, it's about time.

I, for one, am outraged.

I'm not really sure why, though. But it must be because of all the things that have been happening in this so-called "country", because why else would I feel so annoyed and unhappy all the time?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Given our failure to reduce emissions, we should be No. 1 in that list with the highest excise duty rate.

Since we have so many relying on the car in order to commute to work, until alternative environmentally friendly power sources for cars reach critical mass and/or sufficient public transport capacity is provided as an alternative, your idea of immediate implementation of such tax increases is a non-runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Aye, all those Yellow Vest bolting through Electrical Stores and Department Stores tearing equipment off walls and stealing Apple Products.

They really want low taxes on fuel or whatever nonsense they are peddling

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DS86DS wrote: »
    ...smug, arrogant and elitist ...One World Creed of the EU and UN....haughty leftist smugness ... elitist ivory tower ledtiets.........snivelling and privileged leftists ...

Jaysus. Who pissed on your chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Why should anyone have to?
    We must be one of the only first works country's that they can't get all your information up inside the police or garda car

So you want to put on a hi vis jacket and wreck the place because you're too precious to carry a driving license in your wallet? Bet you were on the water protests too.!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Have a licence.
    If a guard stops me who are you? Joe bloggs.
    Checks data base joe bloggs has a licence to drive this vehicle.
    Cop car is behind me reads number plate.
    This car belongs to Joe bloggs he has 0 penalty points

Whatabout if you Prawo Jazdy ?
    Alternatively..

The French are a nation of whingers and they are in for one almighty surprise because the welfare system, early retirement state is coming to a shuddering end.

A number of years back a Goodyear tractor tyre plant was closing, the French government hit on an American tyre company to take it over.

The CEO of that company wrote an letter to the French that became public and it should have brought home to them how inefficient their country is, but no it was those awful yanks and their work practices.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/20/so-called-workers-french-tyres

As for water demonstrations.
    Yes Irish Water was a fooking disaster in planning, but Irish people need to cop on that they should pay for their water usage because it is a fooking service.
    This cr** that it comes from the sky so why should I pay. :mad:
    So wait until next time it is raining to go out and fill the kettle and have a shower at the same time.

I am one of the many thousands that pay for my own water and sewage, I don't get to tell revenue to divert a few grand towards the installation and upkeep of my well or my sewage system.

Now if you want a demonstration against the entitlement culture and classes in this country I might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Jaysus. Who pissed on your chips?

The leftists by the look of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jmayo wrote: »

As for water demonstrations.
    Yes Irish Water was a fooking disaster in planning, but Irish people need to cop on that they should pay for their water usage because it is a fooking service.
    This cr** that it comes from the sky so why should I pay. :mad:
    So wait until next time it is raining to go out and fill the kettle and have a shower at the same time.

I am one of the many thousands that pay for my own water and sewage, I don't get to tell revenue to divert a few grand towards the installation and upkeep of my well or my sewage system.

Now if you want a demonstration against the entitlement culture and classes in this country I might be interested.

I have my own well too,

I still believe water should be provided by the State.

Oh also i have to pay for my own upkeep of my own well too, including a new pump / filters / switchgear etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Since we have so many relying on the car in order to commute to work, until alternative environmentally friendly power sources for cars reach critical mass and/or sufficient public transport capacity is provided as an alternative, your idea of immediate implementation of such tax increases is a non-runner.
    Reliance on cars is overstated. More people think they need a car than actually do. Nationally the length of the average commute is just shy of 15km. In Dublin, it's less than 10.

That's a whole big chunk of people who don't need to drive to work but choose to do so because it's convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

How are you paying for the milk? With the cash or card that's in your wallet beside your licence by any chance?

Or maybe the two euro in his back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

The yellow vest protest was triggered by introduction of the deisel tax. As someone already said, it's the straw that broke the camel's back. It's seen as another way of milking the worker. They're right. If the government was serious about reducing pollution then where is the big tax incentives for lower polluting alternatives. The protests are about people not being able to afford to have a life despite working all their lives.
    To answer the op, can people in Ireland afford to have a work/life balance? Is effort properly rewarded? I recently read that years ago a house was roughly 5 times earnings. It's now 11 times, so even with 2 people working, a house is still less affordable per worker. Maybe house prices are our deisel tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Alternatively..

That's why I think we should do it an Irish way
    Instead of going out wrecking the place just call a red alert day
    Everyone stay at home and have the craic stock up on the bread though 😂
    The country will still come to a standstill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Have a licence.
    If a guard stops me who are you? Joe bloggs.
    Checks data base joe bloggs has a licence to drive this vehicle.
    Cop car is behind me reads number plate.
    This car belongs to Joe bloggs he has 0 penalty points

And how do they ensure that you're actually Joe Bloggs, do they just take your word for it?

seamus wrote: »
    Reliance on cars is overstated. More people think they need a car than actually do. Nationally the length of the average commute is just shy of 15km. In Dublin, it's less than 10.

That's a whole big chunk of people who don't need to drive to work but choose to do so because it's convenient.

Short distances in theory but it takes a long time to do them due to congestion. Plus most Irish car drivers will not walk or cycle to work. Period. Weather, perceived danger of being a cyclist on car crowded roads etc means the majority will not make the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Like a previous poster said the French take action we irish simply moan
    .except for the water charges when did the majority of the nation stand together to our government......we simply vote them in and sure well wait and see.....and also our population is so small and at any point in time everyone has a different issue to moan about..
    Don't like the French in general but they at least got liathroidis..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Personally the fuel tax here bothers me the most.

The hospital and bed situation is absolutely dire.
    Discuss

As yes, it's the usual 'I want to pay less taxes and get better services' rant.

Luckily OP, there are plenty of political parties established in Ireland for the sole purpose of pandering to people such as yourself.

May you always remain a minority or god help the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

oceanman wrote: »
    were water charges reintroduced ???

No. People who don't pay tax continued to not pay for water while the rest of us do.

And before you start, paying vat on goods from money you got from the government doesn't count. Giving someone 200 and getting 23% of it back in vat doesn't make you €46 better off than when you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Driving licences these days are the size of bank cards. I very much doubt a person who drives various vehicles is without their bank card. Carry the license in the same slot as your bank card.

Or maybe the two euro in his back pocket.

But what if he forgets the €2? People can't be expected to remember their €2 every time. So the shop should give it to him for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

No. People who don't pay tax continued to not pay for water while the rest of us do.

And before you start, paying vat on goods from money you got from the government doesn't count. Giving someone 200 and getting 23% of it back in vat doesn't make you €46 better off than when you started.
    I have being paying for my water since I started working over thirty years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Gardaí are already starting the yellow vest movement themselves.
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1072474839951269889?s=19

• Advertisement

oceanman wrote: »
    I have being paying for my water since I started working over thirty years ago...

And you need to continue paying for it. But not just your own.
    Water isn't something you buy once. Its ongoing. It needs paying for forever.

Unless we just shut off mains water and let everyone buy their own bottles. But sure then we may as well just meter everyone and let each person pay for their own...............

Advertisement