Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow vest movement ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

matsy1 wrote: »
    Tin foil hat. Is it a coincidence or just a simple brain washed approach by our state owned TV to have a show about direct provisions followed by a significant (silent)signing of the UN PACT. I mentioned the pact to my 70 year old mother. She's sold on the pact without even reading it. Sad times. Right or wrong this pact may be, the media dictates the minds of the minions. And no disrespect to my mother, she has a busy life and can only only have faith in the government.

Because RTE and the Govt have drummed it into people's head that "We need these immigrants", "They'll strengthen our economy.","They'll pay our pensions", "Diversity is our strength",etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Funny how all this pact does is maintain we control our borders.

More uneducated faux outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Time will tell,but it does reek of disdain on Macron knowing that the French are protesting because of the high costs of immigration and he goes and signs these pacts anyway. Plus the fact that the media buried it adds to the vibe that these pacts aren't good for us. If the pacts were good the media should have been upfront since day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

nthclare wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from.
    Any liberal fck wit I know are usually old money brats, more than likely living in plush pads paid for by mummy an daddy.

I came across them protesting against the gulf war at their camp outside Drumgeely flats in Shannon.

Not one of these goons we're your normal working class individual, mostly with name's like Fiacra Oisine and Isobel... from fairly affluent background s....
    Usually college degree addict's, degree's in Art's, Humanities and that rubbish.

None of them can hold onto a job as they're just what I would call educated idiot's.
    Always embroiled in controversy.

Anyhow these liberals think because they're "nice people" the Sharia wouldn't effect them... because they're sweet and nice...

Well guess what ?

They'll string you up for breaking laws in their country.

I used to follow some leftie snob who was a bikini model and so called vegan/femminist /social justice warrior....

She's all for uniting the world, peace on earth and love...

Then harp's on about #metoo and all that stuff.
    Go back a few weeks on her Twitter account, she makes a mockery out of some dude falling over a pier and getting hurt...

The irony of the left, absolute narcissm...

So you're a stalker who left school after the Inter and works for minimum wage?

Some sort of movement is needed, but thus far these so-called "movements" haven't been marked by much more than self-interest, alas. Water charges, for instance, make huge sense: you are penalised if you waste a valuable environmental resource. What with the parasites in "consultancies" seeking state contracts for privatising water, or the parasites in poorer areas who want free everything, something that could have benefited society -a world class, safe, serviced state-owned water system - never came to fruition. Mé féinerism from rich and poor alike triumphs.

More generally, the rich are getting much, much richer in the western world, and this is no longer disputed by any economist. It is very, very well established now - and has become markedly more unequal since the 2008-2010 recession where the wealthy used the recession to intensify more cutbacks/accumulation of wealth. Again, this pattern has been extensively researched.

However, all most of the plebs can do online is attack other plebs (usually the ones on social welfare). Western governments, meanwhile, refuse to unite to prevent the obscenely rich from having a tax-free/low-tax zone and these countries consequently compete against each other to offer rich people/corporations a place to pay even lower tax. This is the stunning myopia of western societies in 2018. Like something from Machiavelli's statecraft in Discourses: the division between states on this issue makes these enormous corporations stronger. In 2018, it is these mega corporations and not states which are playing "divide and conquer". That's a sobering thought for people who value democracy and societal infrastructure.

Time for the plebs to rise up against the billions upon billions of euro of resources given in corporate welfare via enormous grants, subsidies, the availability of a state-financed educated and healthy workforce, tiny or negligible tax rates and so very much else to the wealthiest people in western societies.

Inequality Is Rising Across the Globe — and Skyrocketing in the U.S. (15 Dec. 2017)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Video by Stefan Molyneaux on French riots

https://youtu.be/TNyVcP0e5hw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

If it does go ahead, it will be a love Ulster Mk2.

The usual scum will take the opportunity to kick in and rob Footloker and burn everything.

Its not a movement. Its planned robbery and arson.

Interesting video on France and Emmanuel Macron from the Iconoclast

https://youtu.be/noR_7BOeU20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Macron is a weasel tbf. Nothing endearing about the manipulative bluffer from the start. Very surprised the French fell for it. He is in that weird cohort of EU politicians that suck up to big businesses and whose policies are influenced by billionaires the the detriment of the majority they are supposed to represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

DS86DS wrote: »

Molyneaux talks about race and IQ far too much for my liking. It discredits him to a massive extent imo. Equating so many issues down to some races having lower IQs than others is not a healthy way to view the world.

He's also just a guy on YouTube. He's not an academic who is qualified in anyway. Yet he talks like an absolute authority figure on issues.

He does his homework and is clearly a smart guy, but he is ultimately just a right wing ethno nationalist and should basically be ignored.

• Advertisement

Molyneaux talks about race and IQ far too much for my liking. It discredits him to a massive extent imo. Equating so many issues down to some races having lower IQs than others is not a healthy way to view the world.

He's also just a guy on YouTube. He's not an academic who is qualified in anyway. Yet he talks like an absolute authority figure on issues.

He does his homework and is clearly a smart guy, but he is ultimately just a right wing ethno nationalist and should basically be ignored.

Whoever said that you had to be an academic on social issues to have a valid argument on certain topics?

Politics ain't Physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Eh we don’t have a border in Ireland - are you getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

prinzeugen wrote: »
    If it does go ahead, it will be a love Ulster Mk2.

The usual scum will take the opportunity to kick in and rob Footloker and burn everything.

Its not a movement. Its planned robbery and arson.

No that's just what the establishment will want so ordinary middle class people will distance themselves from it. FG 101.

No that's just what the establishment will want so ordinary middle class people will distance themselves from it. FG 101.

Why would FG be bothered about this nonsense?

Theya are still the most popular party.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

DS86DS wrote: »

Christ!!!

WFT is that?

You guys really need to get out of the house/room where ever you are. So many people on here have become completely detached from reality.

Seriously this stuff is not good for. You simply cannot find out about the world from a screen.

If you've something to say why not get involved in politics at a local council level.

The first thing you'll realise is just how completely irrelevant all this "BIG STUFF" online BS is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why should anyone have to?
    We must be one of the only first works country's that they can't get all your information up inside the police or garda car

No one HAS to. But if you don't you'll get a fine. Thems'll be the rules. You don't HAVE to wear a seatbelt. You don't HAVE to keep to the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

heroics wrote: »
    Last time I did it was yesterday and I tapped the phone to pay.

But surely a man can't be expected to remember his phone every time he goes to get milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No doubt its easier ive often forgotten my licence been stopped and told bring to the closest station within 7 days I think.
    Done that and the jobs done.
    Its a bit severe to get penalty points because I left my licence on the last car I was in.

There are no penalty points, its a straight E80 fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

listermint wrote: »
    I have my own well too,

I still believe water should be provided by the State.

Oh also i have to pay for my own upkeep of my own well too, including a new pump / filters / switchgear etc.

I believe water like other key infrastructure (railways, telephone landline network, electricity network) should remain in the ownership of the state but that people should pay something towards their use of it.

Do you think that electricity should be provided by the state?
    Refuse collection was once provided by the state, should we go back to that ?
    chip chip chip

Its this constant chipping away and services that ordinarily would have been provided for by the State and pushing them into Private Hands is what has nations where they are today. Degredation in what your tax actually gives you, less on less year on year.

Sure dont we all have to tighten our belts.

Sure its the people on Social welfare that are the problem.

Actual people like the Margaret Cashs of this country are very much a problem.
    Do you realise that she is on the equivalent of over 80k a year for a normal worker?
    And that is a high salary, not your average industrial wage.

How is it fair that a working person has to go out to get up 5/6 days a week, commute to work, put in the hours to earn what she basically has to visit a few state agencies a few times a year for ?

And the normal worker who does earn that 80k then doesn't get any free prescriptions, free doctor visits, free dental care, free college grants for their kids, free legal aid.

No they have to pay for it out of their 55k after they have paid their tax.
    Tax destined to go fund the Margaret Cashs of this world. :mad:

Social welfare in this country is a fooking joke and has long since gone past being a safety net for those in trouble.

This morning on newstalk they were discussing how it seems some politicans are telling "homeless" people not to take accommodation as they will slip down housing list.

And they actually read out comment by someone, obvious a taxpayer, that kids are being used as a visa to get services.
    Of course one of the presenters, being an Irish media liberal lefty, could not believe this to be true.

Fooking muppets.
    Sure its the foreigners.

Yes, foreigners that arrive claiming asylum on bogus premises, with no identification, no means of support, no usable skills, no education qualifications are a fooking drain.

Foreigners from other EU countries here to work hard, foreigners here legally with necessary skills contribute to the country and are damn welcome to offset the leeching entitled Irish as exampled above.
    Sure its.....

Chip Chip Chip Chip Chip Chip.

Its any wonder the Island is still alive with all the services we provided to people over the last 100 years..

Chip chip me ar**.

The ones paying for the chips are getting pi**ed and Peter Casey was a prime example of that.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Or you could look at it from the perspective of you choosing to live somewhere off the mains and complaining because you have to provide your own solution as a result.

Most of Ireland is off the mains unless you live in a the middle of a city or town.
    Even then towns provided their own schemes for years.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    But don't feel too bad.. I'm sure you also paid less for the house and land than your urban counterparts and probably have a bigger house and more land in a quieter area, less traffic and other benefits to make up for it.

This argument always comes across as bitter that the taxpayer won't subsidise your choice to live in an area where its not economical to provide a service. You could always move.

And everyone already pays for the provision of water through general taxation, unless you think its funded by good thoughts and generosity. All Irish Water adds to the equation is a hugely expensive layer of unnecessary administration.

Taxpayers should fund education, healthcare, security, infrastructure not how much water one uses.
    Should taxpayers fund peoples electricity and gas usage ?

Nice try at making this about people living in rural Ireland though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone at the inaugural one at Custom House Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ireland doesn't need a yellow vest movement - it takes very little to get a government to have its mind changed.

Some are big, some are small but they all got dropped.

water charges - gone (not that it'll do us any good)
    Local government charges/rates return - gone (terrible defeat for local democracy and the current property tax is nowhere enough to be a genuine replacement)
    electronic voting - gone (actually this turned in to a good idea given Putin etc!).
    Upward only rent reviews - defeated
    Carbon taxes - put off year after year
    Buzzard control programme - dropped

There are plenty more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ireland doesn't need a yellow vest movement - it takes very little to get a government to have its mind changed.

Some are big, some are small but they all got dropped.

water charges - gone (not that it'll do us any good)
    Local government charges/rates return - gone (terrible defeat for local democracy and the current property tax is nowhere enough to be a genuine replacement)
    electronic voting - gone (actually this turned in to a good idea given Putin etc!).
    Upward only rent reviews - defeated
    Carbon taxes - put off year after year
    Buzzard control programme - dropped

There are plenty more.

Because putin could have mind controlled the electronic voting machines with his mysterious putin mind waves? They aren’t actually connected to the internet.

That said the fact that pen and paper is transparent makes it better for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Because putin could have mind controlled the electronic voting machines with his mysterious putin mind waves? They aren’t actually connected to the internet.

That said the fact that pen and paper is transparent makes it better for sure.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with e-voting it just need to also be physical to appease the paranoid. Bad implementation is what happened along with exaggeration of issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone at the inaugural one at Custom House Dublin?

About 40 people.

With speakers of the "calibre" of that crackpot Ben Gilroy, I'm surprised they even managed to attract that many.

https://twitter.com/Mark_Coughlan/status/1073979662508843008

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with e-voting it just need to also be physical to appease the paranoid. Bad implementation is what happened along with exaggeration of issues.
    That's naive. Here's one of the most famous guys in computer security in a US-centric article on the topic: Election Security by Bruce Schneider
    As computer security experts have been saying for years, our newly computerized voting systems are vulnerable to attack by both individual hackers and government-sponsored cyberwarriors. It is only a matter of time before such an attack happens.
    Voting-security experts can deal with the technical details, but such machines must include a paper ballot that provides a record verifiable by voters. The simplest and most reliable way to do that is already practiced in 37 states: optical-scan paper ballots, marked by the voters, counted by computer but recountable by hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ray Palmer wrote: »

The very fact that we get the conspiracy theories about electronic voting invalidates it. What does it gain, speed? We don’t need speed.

Was Paul Murphy present?

Heard him during the week saying he’ll be there and this is the start of some massive protest.

When asked for what he really couldn’t answer it.

Something about the vulnerable and poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The very fact that we get the conspiracy theories about electronic voting invalidates it. What does it gain, speed? We don’t need speed.

Every time there's a vote the conspiracy theorists are out. Putting up clips of count centres apparently showing piles of one side being counted for the other side and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

noodler wrote:
    Health and housing record increases.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Of course it's Been Gilroy. It's like the unmasking of a Scooby Doo villain.

Advertisement