Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow vest movement ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭johndeere3350

blanch152 wrote: »
    The tax on fuel annoys me too. It is far too low and should be doubled to help us meet our climate change targets.

Clearly your a cyclist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

The tax on fuel annoys me too. It is far too low and should be doubled to help us meet our climate change targets.

Doubled is not enough, need 500% increase to notice any meaningful difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

Yeah. Business owners will no doubt thank you for smashing their shop and stealing their stock. Sure people living in towns don't need cars anyway, you're doing them a favour by burning them for them.

id never condone that.
    In an ideal world none of that would not happen. Even with 99% of protestors with good intentions the 1% of bogeys would still spoil it.

Government buildings would be legitimate targets. Id like to see them try stop 50,000 people heading through them dail gates.

This is all hypothetical anyway, i dont think we are anywhere near a point where any of that would be warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I wonder is it time something like this happens here.
    Personally the fuel tax here bothers me the most.
    It seems the young working class have no hope of getting on the property ladder.
    The latest brainwave by Shane Ross seems to have pissed off alot of people.
    These measures would be all well and good if we had a top class road network around the country if our motor tax wasn't outrageous.
    Some people could drive five or six different vehicles everyday I can imagine how many licences will be lost or misplaced.
    The hospital and bed situation is absolutely dire.
    Discuss

It will have to kick off in Ireland at some point. Especially after last night when Fianna Fail [the so called opposition] refused to call for a General Election until 2020 [watch this time next year they'll find a reason to push it back to the mandatory 2021 date]

10,000 Homeless Irish [3,000 of which are children] a Hospital bed shortage, 250+ Billion in debt [50 Billion of which is due in a few years] and Varadkar just committed to UN pacts that opens our borders [they can throw out the "non binding" term all they want but anyone with sense knows they'll hold us to the exact word on these agreements [even with the old passive aggressive "It would be in your best interest to follow it. spiel]

This Govt should have been thrown out over the Summer. Now they have another year to make the Country even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Theres nearly a 70% tax on fuel here if you think that should be increased you are nuts

47.9 cent per litre of diesel.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/mineral-oil-tax.aspx

That's 35.77% of the 133.9 I paid for diesel this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

I wonder is it time something like this happens here.
    Personally the fuel tax here bothers me the most.
    It seems the young working class have no hope of getting on the property ladder.
    The latest brainwave by Shane Ross seems to have pissed off alot of people.
    These measures would be all well and good if we had a top class road network around the country if our motor tax wasn't outrageous.
    Some people could drive five or six different vehicles everyday I can imagine how many licences will be lost or misplaced.
    The hospital and bed situation is absolutely dire.
    Discuss

It can't come soon enough. And the Yellow Vest Movement is as much about putting nationalism and national self-, determination back into the political debate as it is about taxes.

The average French person is and rightfully so fed up with the One World Globalism of the anti-nation EU and it's insistence on turning every nation in Europe, including France into the Middle East for some pathetic reason and wants to restore the birthright their ancestors fought and died for.

Macron, like Leo has absolute disdain for his native country.....and the less French people in France the better for him and the less French that France becomes all the better.

Also what a joy.....only recently did Macron try to humiliate Donald Trump with his nonsense speech about "post-nationalism"........

....only for within days his own people to rise up in Revolution against him and his arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Clearly your a cyclist
    Clearly you eat in your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Clearly your a cyclist

No I'm not, just a regular car driver.

Other measures haven't worked to reduce our carbon emissions, so doubling fuel tax is a serious option that should be pursued.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We'll call them the Breakfast Rolls in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

As bad as rioting is, i think without it Macron wouldnt have caved into the protestors demands. It can still be done without targetting ordinary joe soaps vehicles. Specific targets.

The defacing of the monuments was disgusting but we know who was behind that.

How did he cave? An extra €25 a week that will be just be gone just as fast as it went in. "We need a discussion on immigration" while not calling for halts to immigration and mass deportations and all the while being in Morocco to sign the UN pacts that permanently open the borders.

He didn't cave. He gave them lip service. This weekend should be interesting. Especially after the latest attack.

• Advertisement

Theres nearly a 70% tax on fuel here if you think that should be increased you are nuts

To reduce car usage, we should tax car usage, not car ownership.

Cut VRT.

Increase fuel duty.

Introduce congestion charges in cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

yellow vests in ireland will just be the usual rag tag group of the permanently outraged classes.

I can see Ben Gilroy already on social media giving it a big plug - so that should tell you a lot about what it's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Other measures haven't worked to reduce our carbon emissions, so doubling fuel tax is a serious option that should be pursued.

I think a serious look at how those emissions are being calculated would be a better exercise tbh ...

8. Excise rates on both petrol and diesel have remained constant since 2012.

The rate on a litre of petrol is 58.7c, including a 4.6c carbon charge, while the rate on a litre of diesel is 47.9c, including a 5.3c carbon charge.

The rate in Ireland on petrol is the 12th highest in the EU while diesel is the 10th highest.

The applicable excise rates for all Member States are contained in Appendix II.

https://www.finance.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/TSG-18-07-Environmental-Taxes-Paper-GK.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    How did he cave? An extra €25 a week that will be just be gone just as fast as it went in. "We need a discussion on immigration" while not calling for halts to immigration and mass deportations and all the while being in Morocco to sign the UN pacts that permanently open the borders.

He didn't cave. He gave them lip service. This weekend should be interesting. Especially after the latest attack.

He didnt cave fully, but he showed weakness. Protestors have the bit between their teeth now they wont be stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Don't bother. The posters in this forum are either climate change deniers or complicit in the genocide of the human race because they think every single individual has some sort of divine entitlement to a mechanised palanquin.

The planet is dying because of the attitude of most of the posters on this forum: "I'm alright jack and I want to condemn my grandchildren to a climatial Holocaust because I don't like the radio station they play on the bus."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

Its going to take a bit more then writing on monuments and burning cars to get change while the police are knocking the crap out of you with batons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Don't bother. The posters in this forum are either climate change deniers or complicit in the genocide of the human race because they think every single individual has some sort of divine entitlement to a mechanised palanquin.

The planet is dying because of the attitude of most of the posters on this forum: "I'm alright jack and I want to condemn my grandchildren to a climatial Holocaust because I don't like the radio station they play on the bus."

Don't know what you're talking about, breeding is the main cause of genocide of absolutely everything. I'll put it simply.
    More humans = more need for resources = more factories and production to meet demand = more destruction of nature and everything as more oil needs to be extracted and more forests cut down and more land farmed for increased food production. Breed breed breed until nothing is left

What's the alternative electric?
    Lithium mining isn't very good for the environment.
    I'm all for a cleaner way of moving about but to cripple people using fuel to the point where its not viable isn't the answer because there's no decent alternative being provided

What animal ate your breakfast this morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

He didnt cave fully, but he showed weakness. Protestors have the bit between their teeth now they wont be stopping.

Without a cohesive organisation they'll lose steam, so Macron is playing the waiting game. Give it three to six months and they'll have cheesed off enough people that the Gendarmerie can roll in and give them a hiding, by which time all but the most dedicated protestors will have moved on to something else.

For precedent just look at Occupy Wall Street or the 2011 protests on Egypt: well intentioned, diverse, organised online. They were effective at protesting but totally ineffective at implementing an alternative, which is why occupy faded away to leave the protest vote for Trump to exploit and the well organised Muslim Brotherhood picked up the baton in Egypt. In fact many Tahrir Square activists came to support the military coup to protect them from islamists.

Maybe the Gilets Jaunes will result in a cohesive movement with shared aims, but at the moment all the evidence is that it won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The French like a riot.
    The Irish like to moan.

Yes. And it’s cold and windy Saturday.

We’ll have a yellow vest demonstration here instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Digital form of your licence on the computer including a picture

How do the gardai search for this digital form of a licence when they stop you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

If I knew what a palanquin was I might agree with you. As it stands a good auld daysul will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Geuze wrote: »
    8. Excise rates on both petrol and diesel have remained constant since 2012.

The rate on a litre of petrol is 58.7c, including a 4.6c carbon charge, while the rate on a litre of diesel is 47.9c, including a 5.3c carbon charge.

The rate in Ireland on petrol is the 12th highest in the EU while diesel is the 10th highest.

The applicable excise rates for all Member States are contained in Appendix II.

https://www.finance.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/TSG-18-07-Environmental-Taxes-Paper-GK.pdf

Given our failure to reduce emissions, we should be No. 1 in that list with the highest excise duty rate.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Without a cohesive organisation they'll lose steam, so Macron is playing the waiting game. Give it three to six months and they'll have cheesed off enough people that the Gendarmerie can roll in and give them a hiding, by which time all but the most dedicated protestors will have moved on to something else.

For precedent just look at Occupy Wall Street or the 2011 protests on Egypt: well intentioned, diverse, organised online. They were effective at protesting but totally ineffective at implementing an alternative, which is why occupy faded away to leave the protest vote for Trump to exploit and the well organised Muslim Brotherhood picked up the baton in Egypt. In fact many Tahrir Square activists came to support the military coup to protect them from islamists.

Maybe the Gilets Jaunes will result in a cohesive movement with shared aims, but at the moment all the evidence is that it won't.

It’s far too diverse to be coherent - no doubt about that. However the underlying issues are going to be there for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

The fuel tax in France was just the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of French people. It could easily have been a plastic tax, a housing tax, an onion tax that tipped it over the edge

The reaction is not indicative of peoples attitude to climate problems, rather an outcry against "everything".

There are just so many things going wrong in Europe that climate change is one problem amongst hundreds. Yes, it obviously has greater long-term impact, but I have the inclination that the world is has accepted it and is instead engaged in a "who'll be the last man standing" competition.

The American government, basically, pulled out of climate agreements because it gave the likes of china way too much advantage. I can agree with that stance. Why should an irish person be fretting over separating bins when they know that India is a cesspool of filth comparatively?

Either this is all equal, no concessions for being late to the party as a developed country, or else this isn't going anywhere.

Anyway, good times ahead!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    Don't know what you're talking about, breeding is the main cause of genocide of absolutely everything. I'll put it simply.
    More humans = more need for resources = more factories and production to meet demand = more destruction of nature and everything as more oil needs to be extracted and more forests cut down and more land farmed for increased food production. Breed breed breed until nothing is left

There's an Irish philosopher called John Moriarty who had a lecture called "Prometheus and the dolphin"
    It's on YouTube...

He went along the lines of humanity being like a virus in the earth.....

It's on YouTube search for, John Moriarty Prometheus and the dolphin.

Given our failure to reduce emissions, we should be No. 1 in that list with the highest excise duty rate.

Are emissions because we are all driving more per capita or population increases?

That kind of tax either doesn’t change behaviour or it’s so strong that it’s rejected.

Green technologies are the way forward. I’m not sure why the EU isn’t trying to finance green technology as a way out of the semi permanent slowdown.

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    There's an Irish philosopher called John Moriarty who had a lecture called "Prometheus and the dolphin"
    It's on YouTube...

He went along the lines of humanity being like a virus in the earth.....

It's on YouTube search for, John Moriarty Prometheus and the dolphin.

Humanity can’t kill the earth, in fact there’s no long term steady state for the earth.

(Unless we blow it up, perhaps).

Advertisement