Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan & Neil Young, Kilkenny July 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭loadwire

Choochtown wrote: »
    Fantastic day!

My personal highlights were Neil's opener "Like an Inca", "Cortez" (of course) and "Hey Hey My My...". The emotion he put into that was unreal!

Dylan's "Love Sick" was magnificent.

Ya he gave Hey Hey My My loads. "They give you this but you pay for that"... clearly not a fan of rip off Ireland 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

whos set is that download?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

greenspurs wrote: »
    whos set is that download?[/QUOTE

neil young

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

nokiatom wrote: »
    whos set is that download?[/QUOTE

neil young

Jeez !! Thanks a mill !! That's excellent !! :cool:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Comerman

nokiatom wrote: »

Jeez !! Thanks a mill !! That's excellent !! :cool:

+1 cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Comerman wrote: »

+1 cheers

Great stuff! Many thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Why at the Nolan park gigs do they put the stage at the seated end off the pitch and not the terrace end. You would think they would be able to get more money by selling them seats

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

roadmaster wrote: »
    Why at the Nolan park gigs do they put the stage at the seated end off the pitch and not the terrace end. You would think they would be able to get more money by selling them seats

Easier for access I imagine and they can use the dressing rooms for stuff. Was up in the terrace for some of Youngs set and the sound wasant great. It would be be the same for that new stand

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Neil taking in Bob's set prior to joining him on stage in Kilkenny!

u5qiyhpdewa31.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

roadmaster wrote: »

Might have something to do with the sound. I was at a few stadium gigs in the old Lansdowne Road and noticed that the sound when the stage was at the Lansdowne Road end was much better than when it was at the Havelock Square end.

Don't know whether that's an acoustic issue or a quality-of-sound-crew issue but it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Car park out the back of the O Loughlins end would be my guess.

It’s a lot easier to put all the VIP areas down there and that’s where all the trucks were parked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

adrian522 wrote: »
    Neil taking in Bob's set prior to joining him on stage in Kilkenny!

u5qiyhpdewa31.jpg

Darryl Hannah over his shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭fafy

Daryl Hannagh was in front of the front rail for about 15 minutes, before Glen started. She had a headscarf and shades on, but definitely her. She was giving instructions to the cameraman who was stationed just in front of the rail underneath Neil ‘s mic position. Lots of cameras in place because of the live stream. Lots of gesturing, she is a film maker herself, and was involved in Neil’s film “Paradox”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

fafy wrote: »
    Daryl Hannagh was in front of the front rail for about 15 minutes, before Glen started. She had a headscarf and shades on, but definitely her. She was giving instructions to the cameraman who was stationed just in front of the rail underneath Neil ‘s mic position. Lots of cameras in place because of the live stream. Lots of gesturing, she is a film maker herself, and was involved in Neil’s film “Paradox”

Aww :( I was there and missed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Neil was great. Really enjoyable. Worth the price of the ticket alone.

Dylan was absolutely diabolical. I expected this though from having read reviews of this tour. He thwarted any and all attempts the fans made at singing along by never singing anything in the original or a predictable way. Teems of people were leaving after 2 or 3 Dylan songs - which was completely fair enough as it sounded absolutely shocking to be honest. It was great to see him perform all the same, I won't be able to move at his age.

Great day out all the same and Kilkenny was a lovely venue for it - loved walking around before the gig in the sunshine with the brilliant vibe in the town.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He thwarted any and all attempts the fans made at singing along by never singing anything in the original or a predictable way.

Dylan has been doing this for over 3 decades. Not sure why people go to a gig for a singalong. Makes no sense to me.

Dylan's performance was exceptional from where I was standing. The new arrangements of Like a Rolling Stone and Girl from the North Country were worth the entry, not to mention Can't Wait and Love Sick.

Then you add new lyrics for the last verse of Simple Twist of Fate and you are witnessing the greatest songwriter of the last 50 years at the top of his game and people are complaining he didn't just do a singalong. Jesus Wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Dylan has been doing this for over 3 decades. Not sure why people go to a gig for a singalong. Makes no sense to me.

Dylan's performance was exceptional from where I was standing. The new arrangements of Like a Rolling Stone and Girl from the North Country were worth the entry, not to mention Can't Wait and Love Sick.

Then you add new lyrics for the last verse of Simple Twist of Fate and you are witnessing the greatest songwriter of the last 50 years at the top of his game and people are complaining he didn't just do a singalong. Jesus Wept.

It wasn't just that he didn't do a singalong. The compositions he played were absolutely awful. They sounded dire. As I said, I was fully aware that he would do this and it didn't bother me too much. It just sounded objectively awful.

The man can clearly still sing. His new sound just didn't sound very good.

There's no need for the air of condescension just because most people (judging by the tens of thousands of people who left early) didn't enjoy what you enjoyed. Different people have different opinions about things - and to be honest if you think going to a gig to singalong and enjoy the music is weird, then maybe you need to get your head examined. Jesus wept :).

This "New Sound" that started back in 1988. Sorry so many "tens of thousands" were caught out like this. Even as far back as 1966 Dylan as playing songs significantly different that what was found on record.

A lot of these people might be better off going to more sing along based acts (of which there are many). No way tens of thousands left early. The total attendance was 28,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

It wasn't just that he didn't do a singalong. The compositions he played were absolutely awful. They sounded dire. As I said, I was fully aware that he would do this and it didn't bother me too much. It just sounded objectively awful.

The man can clearly still sing. His new sound just didn't sound very good.

There's no need for the air of condescension just because most people (judging by the tens of thousands of people who left early) didn't enjoy what you enjoyed. Different people have different opinions about things - and to be honest if you think going to a gig to singalong and enjoy the music is weird, then maybe you need to get your head examined. Jesus wept :).
    What a load of nonsense. First of all objectively does not mean what you think it means. I'm a long time Dylan fan and honestly have no issue with people not enjoying his current stuff. In fact, I can understand it. However myself and many many others really enjoyed Dylan's set. Even a lot of the reviews of the gig were quite positive about Dylan which isn't always the case. Either way, accept the fact that just because you thought it was awful, does not make it objectively so. You're not the ultimate authority on the matter, no one is. It was awful in your opinion, it was very good in mine. Lots of people enjoyed it, I'm sure their were plenty of people that didn't as well. I can respect that. However it's an outright lie to suggest that ten's of thousands of people walked out. Even as exaggeration, it's a ridiculous assertion that you only made to suit your own narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

People asking for Dylan to do a karaoke style show with sing alongs .....

The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I left after Young not because I didn't want to see Dylan but because I had one of the worst hey fever attack. Only a few people left after Young yet hundreds were coming in the gates as I left

I have seen Dylan many times. I'd love to see him doing his greatest hits but it's just not what he does. I saw him in 2009/2010 when he was touring the Together Though Life album. He did almost the full album. I'd never heard any of these songs before yet I had a great time. There aren't many acts that can play a new album & still keep the audience happy. He always has a cracking band with him. My only gripe is that he mumbles through his set.

I'm so sorry I missed Young & himself on stage at the same time. I've seen him with Mark Knopfler and was disappointed that they didn't do any songs together

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I left after Young not because I didn't want to see Dylan but because I had one of the worst hey fever attack. Only a few people left after Young yet hundreds were coming in the gates as I left

I have seen Dylan many times. I'd love to see him doing his greatest hits but it's just not what he does. I saw him in 2009/2010 when he was touring the Together Though Life album. He did almost the full album. I'd never heard any of these songs before yet I had a great time. There aren't many acts that can play a new album & still keep the audience happy. He always has a cracking band with him. My only gripe is that he mumbles through his set.

I'm so sorry I missed Young & himself on stage at the same time. I've seen him with Mark Knopfler and was disappointed that they didn't do any songs together

2 men/1 voice

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Think I was either in the Jack's or queuing for those ****ing rockshore bottles at the bar when they both appeared on stage together. Annoying but tbh my own fault. Got into the stand tho ha

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭mrk75

This "New Sound" that started back in 1988. Sorry so many "tens of thousands" were caught out like this. Even as far back as 1966 Dylan as playing songs significantly different that what was found on record.

A lot of these people might be better off going to more sing along based acts (of which there are many). No way tens of thousands left early. The total attendance was 28,000.

Yeah, I went out in between sets and coming back in you could see the place was still jammers for Dylan. People were streaming out alright (like myself) but that was for the jacks and food/drink. I'd wager they came back in again mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Dylan's band were amazing

They sure were. They carried him, I thought. Dylan never had the best singing voice but it's really gone now. Fifty years ago someone described his vocals as being "The sound of a dog with his leg caught on barbed wire"
    Not much changed since then.

Even more of a howl nowadays. At times he reminded me of some cartoon dog, but I can't remember which one. Maybe Goofy or some other Disney dog.

Not disappointed because I didn't expect anything else. And Neil Young really kicked it. Really pleased to have seen him live at last.
    Scooby Dooby Doooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭fafy

Live Stream rebroadcast :

Neil Young + Promise of The Real live stream concert from Kilkenny, Ireland on 14 July 2019 will be re-broadcast for two days world wide: Wednesday July 24th at 12pm PT, and Sunday July 28th at 12pm PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I heard Neil Young is also a cool old skool Jungle DJ too. ;)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Thanks whoever put up the link for Neil's set.

Is there one for Bobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

20Cent wrote: »
    Thanks whoever put up the link for Neil's set.

Is there one for Bobs?

Bob Dylan

14 July 2019
    Nowlan Park
    Kilkenny, Ireland

Disc 1
    Ballad of a Thin Man
    It Ain't Me, Babe
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Simple Twist of Fate
    Can't Wait
    When I Paint My Masterpiece