Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan & Neil Young, Kilkenny July 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dylan's band were amazing

They must be really really good musicians to get that gig. Imagine auditioning for Bob Dylan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

A really enjoyable day.

Got in for Hansard. He's the type of act I should like but I just can't warm to him. His voice is great but I find him a bit shouty..

Neil Young blew me away, it was insane how good he was.

Dylan was Dylan. he was better than I had expected. Hearing girl from the north country and the Neil duet will live long with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

weser777 wrote:
    By reading your comments, I think you would have a gripe no matter what - - I've never been there before yesterday, but found the parking, location etc to be very handy.

Not at all. Seeing Dylan live will be something I'll remember for the rest of my life. Maybe we were unlucky with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭mgkelly

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    My grandchildren will say, who's Bob & Neil? :)

Never mind grand kids, my kids had no idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

If anyone missed the merchandise stand you can buy them from the official Dylan website. Might pick myself up another couple of tshirts off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭mgkelly

weser777 wrote: »
    By reading your comments, I think you would have a gripe no matter what - - I've never been there before yesterday, but found the parking, location etc to be very handy.

And I was standing, but got a pain in my hole cos my misses isn't the tallest, so we asked could we sit in the stand - the steward let us in no problem..the steward didn't have to let us into the stand, but he did out of niceness -

I have to say, where I was sitting in the stands, section Z, there was a wonderful security guard. I never left my post from 4pm to 1030pm. Neither did she. I never saw her get food. She was unfailingly polite, helpful and gracious to people. She always smiled. And was standing in the heat with all the layers/garb they have to wear. I was most impressed. If there was any way of passing on such thoughts...
    I felt like going down and saying near the end, but she'd have been maybe creeped by the slightly scruffy middle-aged fella in a Ride t-shirt!! Well done her, anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BuffaloTengo

fafy wrote: »
    While i have criticized already the entry q for early people(we were in line at2:15pm). ,it went fairly well from there. Got to the front rail, just after 4pm, and didn’t leave that spot, until 3rd last Dylan song, off to the side, watched the end from there to get out quick, as we were travelling home. We always bring in snacks etc, and a good lunch in before we head in.

At the front rail, water available constantly on tap, security dealt quickly with the usual messers that go to these things, and a few had to be pulled out.

Its like every time, there is a large outdoor gig, its like a repeat of a lot of the same queries. People complain about toilet queuing after several pints consumed, people don’t check information, which was all available months before the gig (and the colour coded route was on all tickets and clearly signposted)and say they didn’t know which route, which entrance, people arrive at the same time, and expect to get in quick( maybe they should have showed the Kilkenny match there, might have helped this, but thats not normally done- only exception i experienced was in 2nd Slane U2 gig 2001 where the Ireland world cup match was shown at the gig) people complain about food q’s, as a good chunk of people, have to have a burger and hot dog ! And we all know the grub is usually dire at these things, there is never an issue bringing in snacks, fruit, & juices not in bottles. Not ideal i know, but better than nothing, and will keep ya going.

Have been to a good few-outdoor gigs, and if i’ve learned one thing, its about controlling your own experience, i’m there for music, not anything else, so to do that, you have to get in reasonably early, probably stay off the pints, and bring in your own snacks. Do that you won’t miss anything, don’t do that and you probably will.

Plenty time for pints post gig, or the night before in my case.

You must have a strong bladder?!
    I was near enough to the front left for Neil Young and did not see any signs for water. After his set I went around the back of the stand for water and to use the toilet. It was a one way system and was chaos trying to get back onto the pitch. In fact the crush was very dangerous, thankfully most people were chilled and there was no pushing.
    I was definitely there for the music, was not drinking alcohol, got food early before the music started, but still found the organisation very bad.
    Thankfully though did not spoil the day as I got to see the whole gig and really enjoyed both acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

mgkelly wrote: »
    Finally, at 49, for the first (and probably last) time I felt young at a gig!

Pah!! I felt young too and I've nearly ten years on yah! :) First time I've seen those little wheelie zimmer frames at a rock and roll gig.

(Not mine, I hasten to add)

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I must have been right beside you outside.

I was wondering if it takes this long to get people in to the grounds, what happens in an emergency? I'm surprised that they can get planning permission for this sized crowd if they can't get them in & out in a smart manner.

What's with all the complaining about the organisation? We saw the long almost stationary queue, with other people walking along the side so didn't know what was what so.......you ask a man in a hi-viz vest what the story is and he tells you: "That's the queue for standing room, for your seats head on up to the next gate on the left"

We were in in double quick time.

Thank God it was so hot, though, and any drink was sweated out of me because I didn't have to use the jacks at all. The missus did and she was gone for almost an hour!! Memo to the organisers: if the GAA won't put any more toilets into Nowlan Park, get some portaloos next time.

That being said: beautiful weather, nice venue, great sound (hang your head in shame 3 Arena and Lansdowne Road) and very pleasant city.

I'll be back.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Dylan's band were amazing

They sure were. They carried him, I thought. Dylan never had the best singing voice but it's really gone now. Fifty years ago someone described his vocals as being "The sound of a dog with his leg caught on barbed wire"
    Not much changed since then.

Even more of a howl nowadays. At times he reminded me of some cartoon dog, but I can't remember which one. Maybe Goofy or some other Disney dog.

Not disappointed because I didn't expect anything else. And Neil Young really kicked it. Really pleased to have seen him live at last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What's with all the complaining about the organisation? We saw the long almost stationary queue, with other people walking along the side so didn't know what was what so.......you ask a man in a hi-viz vest what the story is and he tells you: "That's the queue for standing room, for your seats head on up to the next gate on the left"

I think you quoted the wrong person there. I wasn't complaining. I did say being in the wrong queue wasn't the end of the world & we were still in good form getting into the ground.

I was wondering about people's safety. If it takes so long getting people in I'd be worried that they won't be able to get them out quickly enough in an emergency. I've been to just about every venue in Ireland and I've never seen a queue of 30 to 45 minutes to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭fafy

As many people know, Neil streamed his Kilkenny gig live last Sunday to members of the Neil Young Archive.

This is a paid subscription service. I have an annual sub for $20 a year, but it is possible to sign up for a month for $1.99

There was apparently a few issues with broadband speed for Archive members, watching the online stream, and many of us experienced signal drops, while at the gig.

So, they announced they will be streaming the full gig for a 24 hour period later this week, to be confirmed later this week.

Unfortunately, the Neil Young Archive, confirmed that the duet with Bob will not form part of this.

https://neilyoungarchives.com/

As many people know, Neil streamed his Kilkenny gig live last Sunday to members of the Neil Young Archive.

This is a paid subscription service. I have an annual sub for $20 a year, but it is possible to sign up for a month for $1.99

There was apparently a few issues with broadband speed for Archive members, watching the online stream, and many of us experienced signal drops, while at the gig.

So, they announced they will be streaming the full gig for a 24 hour period later this week, to be confirmed later this week.

Unfortunately, the Neil Young Archive, confirmed that the duet with Bob will not form part of this.

https://neilyoungarchives.com/

a very nice person might put in on youtube :D

PTH2009 wrote: »
    a very nice person might put in on youtube :D

Its streaming only via NY archives, no way of recording it, and i’m not that nice!!

$1.99 is not that bad to watch a top tier gig.

Its streaming only via NY archives, no way of recording it, and i’m not that nice!!

$1.99 is not that bad to watch a top tier gig.

I'd rather have it permanently and don't want to pay for a streaming service I prob not use

Ah I saw it in person **** it

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭mrk75

Yeah, thought it was a great gig. Didn't catch Hansard but was in good and early for Neil and not far from the front. Thought he was excellent. Great to hear Like an Inca and Over and Over. ****in' Up also a highlight along with Throw Your Hatred Down, which I wouldn't have paid much mind to previously.

The last three of Cortez, Hey Hey and RITFW were superb - just a pity we didn't get an encore. Like a Hurricane would've put the cap on it.

I thought Dylan was excellent too. So good to hear them both together as well. I thought the duet showed that, when Dylan wants to, his voice is just fine. It was great to hear so many classics - even if they were different versions. But Ballad of a Thin Man was fairly faithful to the original. Rolling Stone was obviously different but I liked the way he did it - slowing it down and speeding it up..."I want you to tell me again, how does it feel?"

It was funny leading up to the duet - his bass player seemed to have a chat with him as if asking him if it was ok to bring Neil out and Bob sort of shrugged and nodded. The other guy does a double fist pump to the rest of the band like "THIS IS ON!!"

As said above, though, "Girl from the North Country" was worth the ticket money alone. And so good to hear Blowin in the Wind - I mean that's like Shakespeare reciting one of his sonnets for you...!

Great night and a huge crowd despite the amount of radio ads suggesting tickets were hard to shift. I'd say the weather brought an extra few in on the evening.

As others have said, queues for drink and food were mental but I guess if you're going to spend over a hundred quid for a ticket and want to spend your time queueing for food when you could have had your dinner earlier, I've no great sympathy...

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭mrk75

Oh and I thought the sound was excellent for a stadium, by the way. I went to the back of the stadium for most of the Dylan set and could hear perfectly....

mrk75 wrote: »
    Oh and I thought the sound was excellent for a stadium, by the way. I went to the back of the stadium for most of the Dylan set and could hear perfectly....

Good to hear it was good all around.

Its fairly clear that any venue sound, is all down to the competencies of act’s sound people. Some venues are undoubtedly more difficult to get this right, but the crucial factor, is the act’s sound people.

mrk75 wrote: »
    As others have said, queues for drink and food were mental but I guess if you're going to spend over a hundred quid for a ticket and want to spend your time queueing for food when you could have had your dinner earlier, I've no great sympathy...

I have zero sympathy !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Maybe people were travelling from other counties and didn't have time to eat before? Surely decent food and drink facilities is something that should be expected at a big outdoor gig like that

• Advertisement

While some are grumbling about the quality of stadium food and others are saying "Catch yourselves on and get something to eat before you go near the place" can I just--as someone who came up and down on the day on a coach--give a big shout out to Zinis, a little bar/restaurant near where the bus dropped us off.

Terrific bar food, good vegetarian option, and friendly service. And that's from a walk-up customer who had never heard of the place before. I suspect the restaurant proper at the back would have been just as good.

If all food outlets in Kilkenny are like that, there should be zero sympathy for those queuing for an hour for an Eddie Rocket burger while the band is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Wow....

People being scolded for getting food inside the venue !! Shame on you hungry heathens!!
    People complaining about q'ing inside for food inside they venue because they were hungry !! Shame on you hungry heathens...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I don't understand how you can put on a show for 30/40k people and not be able to have adequate food and drink outlets. Apart from anything else it's a money maker for the promoter!
    I get the point that there are plenty of places to go outside the stadium but I was in Hyde Park, 65k people, no bar queues, we got fresh wood fired pizzas in the time it took them to cook them, queues were at a minimum because there were LOADS of places. Got in early enough and seen all the acts, I bolted to the loo between the end of NY & him coming back for an encore, again no queues because there were loads of toilets so missed probably 30 seconds of the end of RITFW

For some reason, I have always seen massive queues at outdoor gigs in Ireland. When we went to Springsteen a couple of years ago we did what greenspurs did and ate and drank on the way to Croke park, I think we had 1 drink in the ground that was it. Because the alternative would have been to miss half an hour or more of the music standing in a massive queue.
    It makes no sense commercially to me for this to be the set up and for your average punter who might not be as well organised as a regular big gig goer it can mean a pretty crappy experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Hi

I thought it was a great day out

I only got tickets the night beforehand as i was reluctant to go, but couldnt resist the option of seeing 2 of my top music idols and also Glenn Hansard who is an outstanding artist

In my innocence i thought we would get in fairly easy and as we were driving down and home after i wasnt drinking

being a law abiding person i parked in the concert car park aonly brought one small bottle of water as i though they wouldnt let it in

by the time we got to the que to get in to Nowlan park, the queue was very big and only one steward marshelling it, it was a sign of things to come, so some were skipping que etc, but we got in by the start of the 3rd song. and got a good spott up near the front

first problem was when my wife wanted the toilet and we asked a steward where the toilets were and he said "You would be better getting a bottle"...and repeated it!!. so we left it for later , she did eventually get to go but gards were stopping people from using the wall!

next proplem was for us non drinkers,...no sign of where to get water or non alcoholic drinks.. plenty of alcohol all over but nothing for us boring sods..

i tried queueing up for food at interval between Young and Dylan and gave up..would till be their now waiting..

My wife eventually got me a coke half way through Dylan

as for the music..well Hansard was brilliant. we are big fans of his and he was great. really enjoyed the song he sang without any backing or instruments

Nial Young was the star of the night, my 3rd time seeing him and he blew me away..

during his concert, i kepted on pinching myself think that Dylan still had to play

Loved Youngs acoustic set and "Piece of Crap"

Dylan was a bonus, my sixth time seeing him and wasnt expecting much but he really played a great gig and really enjoyed it

blowing in the wind was the song of the night for me.. finally got to hear him sing it.

really glad i went even though i was like a zombie at work the following day

great show, bar toilets and water issues off course

give a big shout out to Zinis, a little bar/restaurant near where the bus dropped us off.

I’d say you mean “Zuni”, have been there amazing food.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Deag4

Does anyone know when the kilkenny gig is going up on the neil young archives.

Deag4 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the kilkenny gig is going up on the neil young archives.

It was confirmed as being “later this week” a few days back, so we don’t know yet, but there should be news soon, keep an eye on Neil Young Archives is best advice,
    Note- the stream, will be available for a 24 hour period only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Fantastic day!

My personal highlights were Neil's opener "Like an Inca", "Cortez" (of course) and "Hey Hey My My...". The emotion he put into that was unreal!

Dylan's "Love Sick" was magnificent.

Advertisement