Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shane Ross' new speeding penalties

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Bruthal wrote: »
    Point was, if there was a ban for that, some posters here would have no worry about it. As it would only affect those breaking the law.

But there’s no ban just for that and no one is suggesting there should be, so it’s an irrelevant point at best or a straw man at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Slave_no_more

Hi Folks,
    Just joined up today.
    I can't help but compare us with the French; macron decides to put a few cents on the litre of Diesel and they've been out on the streets every week since protesting and wrecking the place, so much so that he has scrapped the increase and given them a pay rise.
    here in Ireland we have a minister who decides to criminalize people who are doing 19mph over speed limit and give penalty points to anyone who forgets their license and no one is doing anything. What is wrong with us that we are such wimps? Maybe we deserve it we are such serfs?
    When are motorists in Ireland going to stand up for themselves the way the French do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hi Folks,
    Just joined up today.
    I can't help but compare us with the French; macron decides to put a few cents on the litre of Diesel and they've been out on the streets every week since protesting and wrecking the place, so much so that he has scrapped the increase and given them a pay rise.
    here in Ireland we have a minister who decides to criminalize people who are doing 19mph over speed limit and give penalty points to anyone who forgets their license and no one is doing anything. What is wrong with us that we are such wimps? Maybe we deserve it we are such serfs?
    When are motorists in Ireland going to stand up for themselves the way the French do?

You have to buy fuel, you don't have to go 19km/h over the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

amcalester wrote: »
    But there’s no ban just for that and no one is suggesting there should be, so it’s an irrelevant point at best or a straw man at worst.

Some here will support any increase in severity. Only the people who break the law have any concerns.....

Some here will support any increase in severity. Only the people who break the law have any concerns.....

Perhaps, but we can only discuss the actual proposals not some made up punishment that doesn’t exist and isn’t being suggested.

And some will object to any (increase in) punishment for speeding because they want to drive faster than the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Slave_no_more

People who support Ross remind me of a sign we have on the wall at work..
    "Flogging will continue until morale improves"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

Hi Folks,
    Just joined up today.

Looks legit...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

He can shove his speed limits up his hole.
    I was done last week by a sneaky van hidden around a bend.
    89kmph in an 80 zone.

KUNTS

Had you considered doing <= 80 in an 80 zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Is there a link between that and safer driving?

A 'link'...??? Does everything boil down to the internet, and having to 'link' something....
    It's nothing to do with safer driving and everything to do with simple common sense.
    If you are driving a car, keep your licence with you, if for no other reason than for the paramedics to identify you in the event of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

ff fg saying no is a good think. ross is a typical loon think they know better. the picture with his zip down says it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A few years ago, didn't want to jerk by stopping and knock my snack box off the window, 1am in a rural town only 2 cars around were mine and the cops.

Why would it have been a jerk?
    We're you not paying attention to the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Point was, if there was a ban for that, some posters here would have no worry about it. As it would only affect those breaking the law.

I am sorry everyone has speeded at some point. Everyone....even you.

amcalester wrote: »
    Perhaps, but we can only discuss the actual proposals not some made up punishment that doesn’t exist and isn’t being suggested.

And some will object to any (increase in) punishment for speeding because they want to drive faster than the limit.

We can discuss why a percentage might be a more reasonable approach, and how the stated "only law breakers are affected" is too simplistic a support argument for the proposed changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That sounds like we have a problem.

I'm sorry, but that's my point

sdanseo wrote: »
    As previously mentioned in this thread I have a BSc in this area and came to a similar conclusion in relation to motorways in a road safety thesis. I found the proportion of accidents on high speed roads to be very significantly lower than on low speed roads. Yes, there are more low speed roads than motorways, so it's not a perfect measurement and the detail didn't extend to traffic counts at the time as the data wasn't as available. But the motorways carry infinitely more traffic.

In my qualified opinion, a direct inference of that is that speed alone, on roads with higher limits which have similar segregation of obstacles and VRUs from moving traffic, have a significantly lower propensity for accidents caused by speed or speed alone.
    Other factors are more weighted in causing the accident and must also be present (e.g. a driver blocks Lane 3, so an impatient driver undertakes in Lane 1, doesn't see the truck merging... you get my drift).

Forget the number of accidents, what were the outcomes of the accidents?
    You are more likely to die in an accident at 120 than an accident at 50.

I don't really care if I'm twice as likely to have a fender bender on a 50 road, I'll happily walk away from that.

mgn wrote: »
    Not many can.Whatever about the fine the points are the problem.It only gives the insurance companies an excuse to add on another few hundred on to your insurance.I always try to keep within the limits but there is times when you can be a small bit over.

You aren't keeping working the limits then, you are driving at the limit.

People need to go look up the definition of what a limit is again.

GreeBo wrote: »

I don't really care if I'm twice as likely to have a fender bender on a 50 road, I'll happily walk away from that.
    It's not only people inside the car that are involved in accidents. And people outside it are far more likely in the 50 road.

We are being told to do an awful lot more than we were 20 or 30 years ago. I'm just sh1t sick of the government encroachment at this stage. Every aspect of our lives has a law now and no sooner is it introduced and they're already thinking up a newer, stricter one. Shane Ross & friends and the EU can all take a long walk off a short pier as far as I'm concerned.

I'm old... proper old.
    I remember a time when drinking and driving went hand in hand (with a fag in one of them), with no seat belts, no airbags, no isofix, no 'ncap' ratings.
    I remember driving from gig to gig, and having a few pints before, during and after the gigs.
    I remember falling asleep at the wheel of a Transit on the way to Dublin from The Beaten Path in Longford, falling asleep at the wheel and ending up in a field having no clue what happened, and then having a laugh about it at the next gig, with the bouncers (who were usually Guards).
    I remember regularly finishing a gig, staying back for a few pints, and saying goodnight to the same bouncers when they headed of for work at their real jobs.
    I remember as driving through a village or town, you'd wait till the white circular sign with the diagonal black band. The one that we took as 'End of Speed Limit' then we'd boot off to the next town.
    You've just confirmed my view of the Irish in your post... we hate being told what to do.
    After surviving the 60/70/80/00's driving in Ireland, I've decided it's time to grow up, accept the speed limits, and enjoy the few years I have left.
    Unfortunately I'm more likely to be done in by some dope similar to what I was like 50 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

swarlb wrote: »
    The Irish hate being told what to do...
    They also love being praised and being told they are 'doing a good job'
    But most of all they hate being told what to do...
    Taxes are to be avoided at all costs...
    Any written warning sign is there simply to be ignored...
    Hard earned driving licences are meant to be left ANYWHERE except with the driver...
    If an Irish person sees an 80 kph sign, as far as they are concerned it really means 'anything above 80 within (what they think is) a reasonable amount...
    For some reason they also seem to think there is an 'allowance' that is considered to be ok 'above' any posted speed limit for the purpose of being caught.
    But most of all they really, really hate being told what to do..
    They'll evoke anything to get out of it.. from 800 years of oppression to 'The but we are Special' clause.
    I would guarantee that every Irish person who has left to live in the USA (for example) has stuck rigidly to posted speed limits, yet at home they feel somehow exempt.
    Apart from hating being told what to do, they even have more hatred for any figure of authority.
    Just get on with it, obey the posted speed limits, and incur no fines.
    It isn't rocket science....

What's with this " The Irish".Where are you from.And why the F*uk should i listen to an idiot of minister that doesn't even own a car. I had been driving for over 35 years between here and the UK.So i think i know a bit about driving at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

GreeBo wrote: »

What about the person you hit?

What's with this " The Irish".Where are you from.And why the F*uk should i listen to an idiot of minister that doesn't even own a car. I had been driving for over 35 years between here and the UK.So i think i know a bit about driving at this stage.

Because this thread is specifically about 'The Irish', and their attitude to any sort of enforcement, in this case speeding and penalties.
    Where does it matter where I am from ? As it happens I am Irish, so perfectly placed to have a view of them.
    And by and large, quite a lot of them are egits.
    For all you think you know about something, chances are you don't know everything.

As long as you know how to stay below the limit you’ll be grand.

Because this thread is specifically about 'The Irish', and their attitude to any sort of enforcement, in this case speeding and penalties.
    Where does it matter where I am from ? As it happens I am Irish, so perfectly placed to have a view of them.
    And by and large, quite a lot of them are egits.
    For all you think you know about something, chances are you don't know everything.

Then why don't you say we or us instead of the Irish.

Then why don't you say we or us instead of the Irish.

'cos I hate being told what to do.... it's in my nature'
    Plus 'The Irish' also hate being spoken of in the third party, that really gets up their goat... even more so than being told what to do.
    Personally I blame the parents...

'cos I hate being told what to do.... it's in my nature'
    Plus 'The Irish' also hate being spoken of in the third party, that really gets up their goat... even more so than being told what to do.
    Personally I blame the parents...

Probably got the latest American accent too like a lot of King Leo's band of merry men.

Probably got the latest American accent too like a lot of King Leo's band of merry men.

If only you knew !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Are these fines - points an attempt by Ross and Fine Gael Dublin to get country folk banned off the roads and make them move into Dublin ??

download (1).jpg

This is our minister for transport.Doesn't know he has to be in the water.Thinks the canoe can go on dry land.

• Advertisement

hurler32 wrote: »
    Are these fines - points an attempt by Ross and Fine Gael Dublin to get country folk banned off the roads and make them move into Dublin ??

The muppets in this government cannot house the people that are there all ready.never mind the country people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement