Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors that aren't doctors. Dr. that are not Dr.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

feargale wrote: »
    You seem to have a problem with history.

i presume you think a 'gay fággot' is a lovely bunch of sticks....?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

In my experience those that have studied for and achieved a PhD tend to be those who weren't the brightest in their undergraduate or post graduate studies. Not the dumbest by any means but very much the mediocre. The ones who couldnt secure well paying employmeng outside and decided to stay in the safe cocoon of academia.

They also often suffer from an inferiority complex as a result and try to compensate by using their title.

This is especially true in the sciences.

Have you ever actually met anyone with a doctorate?? :pac:

I am willing to die on this hill. Old Norse God crap means nothing. If you call yourself a doctor but only know a lot about something irrelevant than you're not a doctor.

Knowing a lot about a certain part of ancient history does not make you a doctor. :confused: :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

In my experience those that have studied for and achieved a PhD tend to be those who weren't the brightest in their undergraduate or post graduate studies. Not the dumbest by any means but very much the mediocre. The ones who couldnt secure well paying employmeng outside and decided to stay in the safe cocoon of academia.

They also often suffer from an inferiority complex as a result and try to compensate by using their title.

This is especially true in the sciences.

Your experience is limited very in that case- I've known a few mediocre PhDs but they were very much in the minority- 5% or so at most- of the total I'd have had direct dealings with. The rest were top of their class types, mostly went into industry rather than post-doc (the recession tanked all the post doc opportunities anyway) and were very successful there- software development for the financial services, blockchain tech entrepreneur, NASA, Johns Hopkins... they've done very well.

I also don't know any PhDs who use the title of Doctor outside of their specific area of expertise. Typically use it when they go to conferences. Most of them sign off with PhD on emails, if it's for business, and again only if they wen't into business in the area they studied. Otherwise they just ignore the title entirely.

I don't know any Dr, medical or academic, who uses the title except in the most formal circumstances or on certain documentation.

I would assume the people with big problems with the mere existence of the title are probably a bit insecure. You have to work hard for a PhD, it's not awarded for clipping toenails and daydreaming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Knowing a lot about a certain part of ancient history does not make you a doctor. :confused: :rolleyes:

The public seems quite aware of the distinction, OP. At least, I've never heard of anyone confusing a university history department with a hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Panthro wrote: »
    Exactly what kind of doctor was Dr Who?

Ok, here is the nerd in me coming out.

Timelords have a tradition of keeping their actual name secret and picking an alternative name that is appropriate to their nature. In the case of our well known blue box travelling character, he chose the name 'The Doctor' because of his vocation to travel through time and space to help people.*

It is a name she/he picked to identify with throughout all of time.

* not sure how that intention holds out when 'The Doctor' regularly wipes out entire civilisations and destroys planets on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I am willing to die on this hill.

If you think you're in danger of death, I'd suggest consulting a physician: they can diagnose disease and recommend treatment, or refer you to a surgeon if a hands on intervention is needed.

If you think you're in danger of death, I'd suggest consulting a physician: they can diagnose disease and recommend treatment, or refer you to a surgeon if a hands on intervention is needed.

Apparently surgeons aren't doctors at all, preferring as they do the address of "Mr" or "Ms". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

jimgoose wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Ah, good ol' Mr Cox........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The word "doctor" is from the Latin for "to teach", and academic doctorates have been awarded since the 13th century. Its use as a medical title only came later. So it's a bit late to start arguing this now. In the USA they use "MD" after the name to indicate a medical doctor - why not do that?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Except that most doctors on this side of the pond don’t have an MD. More confusion!

Most medical doctors will have 3 degrees. At least. And any who are fully trained (ie to consultant level) will have further postgraduate degrees, diplomas, and also may have a doctorate. Becomes cumbersome to insist on all of them being used when addressing them.

Three degrees at level 8 versus one degree at level 8, one masters at level 9 and a doctorate at level 10. The latter is still more entitled to the Dr in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Dr Vinny Boombatz
    Every day when I wake up I look in the mirror and want to throw up. What's wrong with me?
    I don't know, but your eyesight's perfect.

I told him I think my wife has VD.
    He gave himself a shot of penicillin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if you are famous you will get offered an honary degree from some university.i,m not sure what the point of this is, maybe good pr for the university.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Holy zombie thread Batman! Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement