Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors that aren't doctors. Dr. that are not Dr.

Options
  • 10-12-2018 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I think the word doctor should be a title preserved for those that provide healthcare to people. If you can diagnose or prescribe or write a note for someone that's ill you're a doctor. Otherwise you are not a doctor and should not be allowed put that title before your name.

Who the fuck made Dr. Ian Paisley happen? :confused: There's other examples too btw...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Archeron

Doctor Bunsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah having a person with a doctorate in sound engineering or English will not be any help if ur having a massive heart attack in front of them

They should rename Doctorate of non medical subjects to something else

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think the word doctor should be a title preserved for those that provide healthcare to people. If you can diagnose or prescribe or write a note for someone that's ill you're a doctor. Otherwise you are not a doctor and should not be allowed put that title before your name.

Who the fuck made Dr. Ian Paisley happen? :confused: There's other examples too btw...

You can't go round changing the English language like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

And surgical consultants are Misters, not doctors. The zany scamps.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The title was originally dedicated to those who had obtained a Doctor of Philosophy.

Therefore, all them medical doctors are really only fake doctors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah having a person with a doctorate in sound engineering or English will not be any help if ur having a massive heart attack in front of them

They should rename Doctorate of non medical subjects to something else

The term Doctor was originally exclusively for people that had a doctorate degree, it was later adopted by medical doctors as it was deemed a title of honour and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Anyone with a doctorate is correctly called a doctor. It spread to medical practitioners and is used as a courtesy title. Recently vets in Ireland also use the title doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Doctor of medicine would be fuqall use trying to balance the sound between the delay towers in Slane on a windy day.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

A non doctor with Dr in front of their name will have a degree, masters and a doctorate. A medical doctor just has a degree. Maybe the medical doctor should change their name to just their specific job e.g. GP. It would be easier that way and people would not think they had a doctorate and would know what type of medical doctor they were. Or would this not be ok with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The term Doctor was originally exclusively for people that had a doctorate degree, it was later adopted by medical doctors as it was deemed a title of honour and respect.

^ Seems some people here are avid readers of the 'I bet you didn't know that.....' thread.

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Who the fuck made Dr. Ian Paisley happen? :confused:

Bob Jones University, honoury doctorate i.e. Micky Mouse doctorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Chiropractors who use the title Dr. Now that is confusing

I don't mind dr of say chemistry etc as they don't try to be medical

KevRossi wrote: »
    ^ Seems some people here are avid readers of the 'I bet you didn't know that.....' thread.

;-)

No, I'm doing a PhD :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

endacl wrote: »
    Doctor of medicine would be fuqall use trying to balance the sound between the delay towers in Slane on a windy day.

:D

Must have been a medical doctor doing it for GNR last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Dr. Mantis Toboggan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I'm always puzzled when my dentist's receptionist answers the phone with the words "Doctor XXXXX's surgery"

I assume that "Doctor" is an honourary title that he has awarded himself. Or are dentists entitled to call themselves doctor?

Also, it's Dr not Dr. this side of the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The title was originally dedicated to those who had obtained a Doctor of Philosophy.

Therefore, all them medical doctors are really only fake doctors!

No, the original doctorates were theology, law and medicine. Doctor of Philosophy emerged in the mid-17th century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Someone with a NFQ level 10 qualification is a doctor and, in gaining their qualification, has made a significant original contribution to the field of knowledge in their area.

Perhaps medical practitioners should differentiate themselves by using the M.D. suffix

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Squatter wrote: »
    I'm always puzzled when my dentist's receptionist answers the phone with the words "Doctor XXXXX's surgery"

I assume that "Doctor" is an honourary title that he has awarded himself. Or are dentists entitled to call themselves doctor?

I wonder what a dictionary would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What a show! Good aul Jed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

There are different types of doctorates such as a DPhil, PhD, JD, DDS and of course an MD.

They're all doctors. Saying that only MDs should be called doctors is bizarre.

It should be noted that the last three are called professional doctorates which means they require no research so if anything it should be the MDs which drop the doctor label. Lawyers have never used theirs even though they're just as entitled.

dr. bollocko?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Dr Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Exactly what kind of doctor was Dr Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

And while I'm here, Dr Dre.
    What's his deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

KevRossi wrote: »

;-)

Or some of us have Doctorates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement