Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors that aren't doctors. Dr. that are not Dr.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lvoc

And surgical consultants are Misters, not doctors. The zany scamps.

Nowadays these also come in the female variety...
    (Ms/Miss)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Panthro wrote: »
    Exactly what kind of doctor was Dr Who?

Everything, as the Doctor has stated many times.
    Or some of us have Doctorates.

Yep. It's the honorary ones you have to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,549 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I went to the doctor a few times recently. He told me I had hypocondria. I said you're probably right, I have had everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

troyzer wrote: »
    There are different types of doctorates such as a DPhil, PhD, JD, DDS and of course an MD.

I just read Dr Phil
    Sarn wrote: »
    Anyone with a doctorate is correctly called a doctor. It spread to medical practitioners and is used as a courtesy title. Recently vets in Ireland also use the title doctor.

Pretty much screwed if on an airplane and someone shouts is there a doctor on board - psycho analysed, castrated...before someone realises you mean a medical doctor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Panthro wrote: »
    Exactly what kind of doctor was Dr Who?

Trust me, I'm the doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

DR Congo was another one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

kal7 wrote: »
    Chiropractors who use the title Dr. Now that is confusing

I don't mind dr of say chemistry etc as they don't try to be medical

A chiropractor has as much legitimacy calling themselves a doctor as a butcher or a barber ( in this country)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Doc07

Someone with a NFQ level 10 qualification is a doctor and, in gaining their qualification, has made a significant original contribution to the field of knowledge in their area.

Perhaps medical practitioners should differentiate themselves by using the M.D. suffix

And to add more confusion, in Ireland and UK, if you already have an undergraduate medical degree and are called Dr you can do a research Doctorate in Medicine also called an MD which is NFQ level 10 like a PhD.

Still no guarantee they will be any use on a plane if someone faints.

Respectfully yours

Dr DOC MD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    A chiropractor has as much legitimacy calling themselves a doctor as a butcher or a barber ( in this country)

Unless they earned a legitimate doctorate in something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dr Alban

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Dr Alban

It's his life in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's his life in fairness

Stop fighting me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

I believe the Latin root of the word 'Doctor' is 'Docere' meaning, to teach or instruct, therefore all our teachers should be doctors :|

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Dr Ficheall is here to woefully ineptly answer any medical questions you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Someone with a NFQ level 10 qualification is a doctor and, in gaining their qualification, has made a significant original contribution to the field of knowledge in their area.

Perhaps medical practitioners should differentiate themselves by using the M.D. suffix

Except that most doctors on this side of the pond don’t have an MD. More confusion!
    A non doctor with Dr in front of their name will have a degree, masters and a doctorate. A medical doctor just has a degree. Maybe the medical doctor should change their name to just their specific job e.g. GP. It would be easier that way and people would not think they had a doctorate and would know what type of medical doctor they were. Or would this not be ok with you?

Most medical doctors will have 3 degrees. At least. And any who are fully trained (ie to consultant level) will have further postgraduate degrees, diplomas, and also may have a doctorate. Becomes cumbersome to insist on all of them being used when addressing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

A fair few 'doctors' have posted on this thread already lol. Yep. Guarantee none of them are actual doctors that involve healthcare.

There should be a distinction. And 95% of people know doctors as someone who will look after you if sick. Otherwise putting a Dr before your name is a fake title.

So someone who "has made a significant original contribution to the field of knowledge in their area." They are worth being called a doctor?

Only people that deserve the title of doctor is a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So someone who "has made a significant original contribution to the field of knowledge in their area." They are worth being called a doctor?

Only people that deserve the title of doctor is a GP.

Grand. Don’t use the title so.

How’s the phd in knickertwisting coming along?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

There should be a distinction. And 95% of people know doctors as someone who will look after you if sick. Otherwise putting a Dr before your name is a fake title.
    Given several posts in this thread have clearly explained why that's a stupid position, and given that you've just ignored them and restated your position, and given your ridiculous username, I'm going to assume you're a troll.

That's a word we used to use exclusively for mythical Norwegian monsters, but in the modern meaning is also used to discribe muppets on the internet. Does that confuse you too?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

y-doctor-here-im-a-doctor-ts-going-on-heart-27889177.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A fair few 'doctors' have posted on this thread already lol. Yep. Guarantee none of them are actual doctors that involve healthcare.

As long as you are rushing to the nearest hospital, rather than the nearest Faculty of Arts, in the case of a medical emergency then you should be okay.

There's plenty of Doctors in the English and Sociology departments in my local university, but somehow I've managed to know that whatever field they may have expertise in they probably won't be able to perform an emergency tracheotomy.

Seriously, does anyone in the world get confused by this non-issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Trust me, I'm the doctor.

Not the only doctor in the house!

On a serious note - we have a consultant in work who has a doctorate in a completely unrelated subject but likes to think she knows every about everything, simply because she has a doctorate. Those are the worst kind of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I think the word doctor should be a title preserved for those that provide healthcare to people. If you can diagnose or prescribe or write a note for someone that's ill you're a doctor. Otherwise you are not a doctor and should not be allowed put that title before your name.

Who the fuck made Dr. Ian Paisley happen? :confused: There's other examples too btw...

I haven't read the whole thread and I'm sorry if I'm missing something.

You have this the wrong way around. The original meaning of doctor is teacher, e.g. Thomas Aquinas is a "Doctor of the Church." It is the medical profession who have hijacked the title, not vice versa. Universities have for centuries conferred the title of Doctor on people who have demonstrated special expertise in various fields. In France a medical doctor is "medecin", in Italy "medico." The Italian dottore is as likely a lawyer or an engineer.
    A far greater abuse is the conferring by a university of the title doctor on some illiterate who can kick a football, or a political tyrant or a shady businessman who gives money to the relevant institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Where did Dr. Oetker get his degree? His pizzas are shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

What about 'flying doctors' ? Are they then to be called Captain Doctor XYZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

kyote00 wrote: »
    What about 'flying doctors' ?

"Tango Victor 7"

mikhail wrote: »
    Given several posts in this thread have clearly explained why that's a stupid position, and given that you've just ignored them and restated your position, and given your ridiculous username, I'm going to assume you're a troll.

That's a word we used to use exclusively for mythical Norwegian monsters, but in the modern meaning is also used to discribe muppets on the internet. Does that confuse you too?

Lol. Don't assume I'm a troll. I made a genuine point and judging from the responses it stacks up just fine.

Doctors provide healthcare to people. Otherwise you are a fake doctor. I'll stand by this point. :)

feargale wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread and I'm sorry if I'm missing something.

You have this the wrong way around. The original meaning of doctor is teacher, e.g. Thomas Aquinas is a "Doctor of the Church." It is the medical profession who have hijacked the title, not vice versa. Universities have for centuries conferred the title of Doctor on people who have demonstrated special expertise in various fields. In France a medical doctor is "medecin", in Italy "medico." The Italian dottore is as likely a lawyer or an engineer.
    A far greater abuse is the conferring by a university of the title doctor on some illiterate who can kick a football, or a political tyrant or a shady businessman who gives money to the relevant institution.

So what? Who the fukc cares about the historical significance of the word. The word doctor to the vast majority of people today means a healthcare provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭t1h9mgqsxopj0r

Dr Mantis Tobogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Are people seriously getting offended over a word!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement