Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors that aren't doctors. Dr. that are not Dr.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Donnybrook Polytechnic and its affiliates issue medical degrees with the designatory letters MB BCh BAO. Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery. Not “Doctor”.

In the interests of accuracy we should then refer to Medical Practitioners and reserve the title of Doctor to real Doctors, like academics with degrees of PhD and above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

What about that poo sniffer Dr. Gillian Mc Keith? Wonder what collage you go to for that doctorate.

What about that poo sniffer Dr. Gillian Mc Keith? Wonder what collage you go to for that doctorate.

A collage of poo. What an intriguing thought before breakfast. No wonder Jackson Pollack used different coloured paints to avoid confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Kinda sick of this godlike worship so many people seem to have for doctors - and the unquestioning godlike respect many of them demand. They are just doing a job like anyone else and are well paid for it. And some of them are arrogant and pretty bad at it.

professore wrote: »
    Kinda sick of this godlike worship so many people seem to have for doctors - and the unquestioning godlike respect many of them demand. They are just doing a job like anyone else and are well paid for it. And some of them are arrogant and pretty bad at it.

Medical Practitioners’ enthusiasm for means tested medical cards needs to be faced down rapido before it scuppers a post-Brexit United Ireland deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I think the word doctor should be a title preserved for those that provide healthcare to people. If you can diagnose or prescribe or write a note for someone that's ill you're a doctor. Otherwise you are not a doctor and should not be allowed put that title before your name.

Who the fuck made Dr. Ian Paisley happen? :confused: There's other examples too btw...

Another day, another pointless thread in after hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Bob Jones University, honoury doctorate i.e. Micky Mouse doctorate.

Mickey Mouse how?

No roman follower of the whore of Babylon was ever going to beat the good doctor in a bible quiz :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Unless they earned a legitimate doctorate in something else.

Yes but the Irish state does not recognise the "job" of a Chiropractor as a legitimate medical skill - practice.

Chiropractors are quacks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Hello!

You're Dr Bob???!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

professore wrote: »

Most of them are arrogant, older doctors being the worst, they were second to priests for decades

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

biko wrote: »
    y-doctor-here-im-a-doctor-ts-going-on-heart-27889177.png

Few years ago at a large gathering a woman asked me if there were any doctors around (she had had a very minor accident). I looked around, saw many doctors so said " sure - do you want Philosophy, History, English, Art History, or Sociology?" :D

Then I got me First Aid Kit out and patched her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Keyzer wrote: »
    Another day, another pointless thread in after hour...

So why read/post/look into it?

Think my point is okay. The fact that so many people on here are so completely butt hurt is hilarious :)

Doctor Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Doctors provide healthcare to people. Otherwise you are a fake doctor. I'll stand by this point. :)

Nah, nurses provide healthcare

Doctors just prescibe pills and refer people to surgeons... ie more qualified doctors who are called Mr, not Dr.

Does that mean we should stop calling people who aren't surgeons Mr?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Seems a bit of a British hangover trying to give everyone titles when they're irrelevant to general life. Dr, sir, lord etc.
    I'd only and solely use the term Dr for medical doctors as a reference to their job and not overly as a title either.

I'm not myself any form of doctor I might add, but I work with many "doctors" in engineering, science and philosophy, and not one would use the title. So I don't think there's a bit need for much angst surrounding the subject as it tends to come out in the wash anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

05c43cf0219b68e2bd9a5e7897a1c954.jpg

I think the word doctor should be a title preserved for those that provide healthcare to people. If you can diagnose or prescribe or write a note for someone that's ill you're a doctor. Otherwise you are not a doctor and should not be allowed put that title before your name.

Who the fuck made Dr. Ian Paisley happen? :confused: There's other examples too btw...

Medical doctors are not doctors at all as they don’t have a PhD. So no, your suggestion is nonsense.

People who don’t have a PhD should not be allowed to call themselves doctors including any healthcare practitioner.
    enda1 wrote: »

I'm not myself any form of doctor I might add, but I work with many "doctors" in engineering, science and philosophy, and not one would use the title. So I don't think there's a bit need for much angst surrounding the subject as it tends to come out in the wash anyway.

Lots of us in the science engineering field do use the title though, mostly not privately but always for work purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

For most healthcare professionals the title Dr is more a job description than a qualification.

Dentists get a Bachelors degree in dental science, not sure should the use the title. Same with Vets.

Pisses me off to see physios using the title Dr.

Yes I have a PhD, and only use the title Dr when dealing wit my bank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There is an arshole who writes to my office on a regular basis and titles himself as Dr XXX. His doctorate is in some form of sociology or some other nonsense ...ology. Anyway I refuse to address his as Dr (either on the phone or in writing) and it drives him nuts and generally detracts from the original complaint or whatever he was ringing/writing about. I have told him firmly that the only person I will address as Dr is my own doctor and as he is not my doctor and as his communications are not associated with his doctorate then I will address him as Mr XXXX. He has complained to my boss about me but as i'm being polite then there is nothing they can do about it. I'm nearly sure he burst a blood vessel one day while on the phone to me. When I meet him out and about I address him by his first name, it drives him absolutely insane.

He is a Grade A, top drawer wanker.

There is an arshole who writes to my office on a regular basis and titles himself as Dr XXX. His doctorate is in some form of sociology or some other nonsense ...ology. Anyway I refuse to address his as Dr (either on the phone or in writing) and it drives him nuts and generally detracts from the original complaint or whatever he was ringing/writing about. I have told him firmly that the only person I will address as Dr is my own doctor and as he is not my doctor and as his communications are not associated with his doctorate then I will address him as Mr XXXX. He has complained to my boss about me but as i'm being polite then there is nothing they can do about it. I'm nearly sure he burst a blood vessel one day while on the phone to me. When I meet him out and about I address him by his first name, it drives him absolutely insane.

He is a Grade A, top drawer wanker.

Your customer, yes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

griffin100 wrote: »
    For most healthcare professionals the title Dr is more a job description than a qualification.

Dentists get a Bachelors degree in dental science, not sure should the use the title. Same with Vets.

Pisses me off to see physios using the title Dr.

Yes I have a PhD, and only use the title Dr when dealing wit my bank :)

Agreed. I only use mine on papers. Likewise the listing of qualifications like FRS, CEng MIEI etc should be reserved for dealing with professional bodies only and not on every email or bit correspondence in everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It has been the practice for some time to let the various and assorted quacks and travelling vendors of snake-sqeezings to their "Doctor" or "Dr." and address right and proper doctorate holders via their actual academic titles, e.g. The Rt. Hon. James Daniel Augustus St. Rufus Mary Peter Goose Ph.D Comp.Sci.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Hook & The Medecine
    Robitnick
    Pepper
    Yer wan Ciara Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Doctor Jones, Jones,
    Calling Doctor Jones
    Doctor Jones, Doctor Jones,
    Get up now
    Wake up now
    Doctor Jones, Jones,
    Calling Doctor Jones
    Doctor Jones, Doctor Jones,
    Wake up now
    Wake up now
    Ah yippie yi yu
    Ah yippie yi yeah
    Ah yippie yi yu ah

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Are people seriously getting offended over a word!

It’s a thing. We’re all doing it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Medical doctors are not doctors at all as they don’t have a PhD. So no, your suggestion is nonsense.

People who don’t have a PhD should not be allowed to call themselves doctors including any healthcare practitioner

Don't they have an MD, which literally translates as doctor of medicine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

hynesie08 wrote: »

Not the other way around, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Your customer, yes?

No, serial complainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

hynesie08 wrote: »

No. The Medicinae Doctor around here is a postgraduate degree in medicine, not a doctorate in the academic sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not the other way around, no?

Well, in Latin it's Medicinae Doctor, I'm not sure if that translates to medical doctor or doctor of medicine, Google says both..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement