Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And the winner of dreamer of the year is... Part 2!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What does TFB think of that. He knows them cars probably better than anyone else here.

Whats that grey thing in passenger foot well?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s called a Clean Box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

15k Sterling for a turbo shopping trolley...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That went through the auction in Japan in 2016 and 2017. Theres two for sale with just 30,000km for around 9k each not including import and fees. 15k for that wouldn't be far off, looks like an absolute gem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If it was a timewarp gt advance ep82 it might make something near that sorta cash, can't see a glanza making it.

The relative ease at which you can "build" a glanza will always hinder their high end price to an extent as well.

Same thing for civics.

For cars to really start to skyrocket in price they have to be unique/bespoke while becoming rarer and rarer or the base model has to be rare and somewhat valuable too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Looking for one at the mo myself, 3-4k. If i had 14k to spend it wouldnt be for a starlet!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

14k...sterling, plus jap tax and nox... so closer to 20k.

They're horrendous yokes to drive, when I was a youngfella I lusted after one thinking they were fast, when I could finally afford one I test drove it and decided only an idiot would pay good money for one. First bend, almost ended up in a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If it was a timewarp gt advance ep82 it might make something near that sorta cash, can't see a glanza making it.

The relative ease at which you can "build" a glanza will always hinder their high end price to an extent as well.

Same thing for civics.

For cars to really start to skyrocket in price they have to be unique/bespoke while becoming rarer and rarer or the base model has to be rare and somewhat valuable too.

Don't know about that now, you'd be doing well to get a rough EK9 for 10k, a clean original one is going to cost a bit more.
    Just because you stick a load of parts on a base spec car or even an SiR, that won't make it a real Type R so it doesn't dilute the market.
    14k...sterling, plus jap tax and nox... so closer to 20k.

They're horrendous yokes to drive, when I was a youngfella I lusted after one thinking they were fast, when I could finally afford one I test drove it and decided only an idiot would pay good money for one. First bend, almost ended up in a ditch.

Yeah, a bit of engine work and they are decent in a straight line, unfortunately that's all they're good for. A little disappointing really especially considering what else Toyota were making at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Same thing for civics.

Think I agree with you. I dont think it's total dream territory but it is strong. He'll probably get close to it. It's an appealing car.

Youd probably spend 7 or 8k easy importing one that clean, if you could find one. Like 7k kms is ridiculously low.

You see haggard yokes here on their second engine without a straight panel on them going for €3500-4k. Even the newest glanzas are 21 years old now and do have a cult following outside of boy racers now IMO.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Don't know about that now, you'd be doing well to get a rough EK9 for 10k, a clean original one is going to cost a bit more.
    Just because you stick a load of parts on a base spec car or even an SiR, that won't make it a real Type R so it doesn't dilute the market.

€10k is a long way off £15k though.

And an ek9 is in a different league to a glanza. This is why I mentioned a gt advance ep82 in my first post.

The market is diluted in the sense that something similar is attainable though. This is the crux of the issue. Those who want the original will seek it out and get it. But those on the fence might be happy with something similar this reduces competition among buyers which in turn can reduce prices.

Take an AE86 as an example it's not cheap to get something similar. An AE85 with a 20v 4age is still going to cost a lot hence AE86's cost even more and timewarp examples are near priceless.

Its not easy break through that €10k barrier.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point but its horses for courses too. If I had €10 or whatever to blow on an auld jap yoke an EK9 of DC2 or whatever wouldnt interest me at all. Nothing wrong with them but I think most things old+jap=money now. Youd never get an opportunity like that again with that Glanza.

Would I get €2k for my own in it's current condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Is a Glanza worth more than 2k in general? Don't think so? What did it do for Toyota, akin to what Type R did for Honda or 'R' did for Nissan (GTi-R, VZR, GT-R)? BTCC and JGTC became what it did because of them. You could make the same argument for Toyota with the Celica GT4 in Rallying but not the Glanza.

Maybe I just don't get it, but having driven a few they just never tickled any part of me. Same with any (most) 90s Toyota tbh.

That's a fair point but its horses for courses too. If I had €10 or whatever to blow on an auld jap yoke an EK9 of DC2 or whatever wouldnt interest me at all. Nothing wrong with them but I think most things old+jap=money now. Youd never get an opportunity like that again with that Glanza.

Would I get €2k for my own in it's current condition?

Ya you'd get €2k handy enough for it I'd be thinking. It runs doesn't it?

I'd be of a similar mindset. Personally I'd struggle to go above 6k for most of the fwd jap hot hatch/performance cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

There was an absolute gorgeous two tone Caldina for sale last year in Limerick for around 2k, it was immaculate, and diesel, and automatic...it ticked all my boxes but not my insurance companies! Black over grey if I remember correctly.
    I think I know the one. It's a gorgeous car alright. And yes black over grey. It'd be dog slow but that'd nearly add to its charm.

Autoline on a classic policy would be the only hope for insurance. Car has to be over 25 years old now though and ya have to be over 30 for jap imports.

Speak of the devil!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2000-toyota-caldina/24189705

It was actually petrol not diesel, this is the exact one I was looking at before.

This makes that Jap Corolla look like daylight robbery!

I bought my Glanza because they were so easy to modify especially engine wise. I paid 2k for it about 6 years ago, its standing me about 9k now

Is a Glanza worth more than 2k in general? Don't think so? What did it do for Toyota, akin to what Type R did for Honda or 'R' did for Nissan (GTi-R, VZR, GT-R)? BTCC and JGTC became what it did because of them. You could make the same argument for Toyota with the Celica GT4 in Rallying but not the Glanza.

Maybe I just don't get it, but having driven a few they just never tickled any part of me. Same with any (most) 90s Toyota tbh.

Yeah I think you just dont get it.

It's not a notion if what the car done for the brand but what the car does for you as an individual that gives it its value.

My own one runs. Off the road 6 years this year so would need a freshen up of fluids and a battery but it's in decent order.

Speak of the devil!

It was actually petrol not diesel, this is the exact one I was looking at before.

A fine wagon.

There's definitely a diesel black over grey one hiding down munster or the south east somewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Speak of the devil!

That's been up for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Yeah I think you just dont get it.

It's not a notion if what the car done for the brand but what the car does for you as an individual that gives it its value.

My own one runs. Off the road 6 years this year so would need a freshen up of fluids and a battery but it's in decent order.

6 years!
    It may need more than a freshen up unless it's been started and moved throughout that time?

Glanzas are a funny car, by all accounts most of their competition was superior but they have always had such a strong following in this country. I can see the appeal of a nice clean one, like your own but with that money, in that class of car I couldn't see myself going for one.

I mean honestly, it didn't even get a race in Initial D. :pac:

Not even Takumi would have the balls to drive one flat out down mount akagi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

6 years!
    It may need more than a freshen up unless it's been started and moved throughout that time?

Glanzas are a funny car, by all accounts most of their competition was superior but they have always had such a strong following in this country. I can see the appeal of a nice clean one, like your own but with that money, in that class of car I couldn't see myself going for one.

The appeal was insuring them as a starlet simple as that abortions they are mostly dead now thankfully!

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    The appeal was insuring them as a starlet

That and cranking up the boost till they outran the other sub 200bhp hot hatches of the day up the bypass.

Levelling up to a Td04 turbo and a bar of boost made for many an upset sports car.

Hooliganism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Jim Carey. Some comedian alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What's that box attached to the passenger footwell?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

bear1 wrote: »
    What's that box attached to the passenger footwell?

It’s called a clean box, just a storage box/bin for inside the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It’s called a clean box, just a storage box/bin for inside the car.

There is some sort of electronics mounted just above that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

There is some sort of electronics mounted just above that too.

It's likely an automatic toll payment thing, speaks to you in japanese every now and then.

That will sell. None in the auctions at the moment. He had another one that went for the same money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Who would buy a automatic 20v.

Advertisement