Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

https://www.autosport.com/dtm/news/146033/audi-admits-to-dtm-talks-with-kubica-management
    Audi motorsport boss Dieter Gass admits he has held discussions with the management of Williams Formula 1 driver Robert Kubica about racing in the DTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Good for him. I'd guess that DTM involves lots of arm movement too but if they think he could drive a DTM car well, then I'd wish him the best of luck and it opens a seat for a faster f1 driver.

Good for him. I'd guess that DTM involves lots of arm movement too but if they think he could drive a DTM car well, then I'd wish him the best of luck and it opens a seat for a faster f1 driver.

I don't see Latifi being any better other than from a financial aspect

I don't see Latifi being any better other than from a financial aspect

I'll take your word for it. But he could hardly be worse and Kubica is also a pay driver with the Polish oil money.

I'll take your word for it. But he could hardly be worse and Kubica is also a pay driver with the Polish oil money.

I agree, pretty much like for like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In Williams current position, one thing they don't want, from cost point of view is someone who might crash the car every weekend. At least we know Kubica tends to finish the races, as does Russell of course.

mickdw wrote: »
    In Williams current position, one thing they don't want, from cost point of view is someone who might crash the car every weekend. At least we know Kubica tends to finish the races, as does Russell of course.

True. In the current position, the car is so bad that they're guaranteed last place in the Constructors. So this year it n as jes sense to face the drivers with the biggest sponsorship rather than driving talent. But you're absolutely right that the drivers need to keep costs down.

If Williams is expecting another terrible season next year, then they would be better to go with the biggest pay drivers again. But if they're expecting another season as the worst team by a distance, they might have to consider whether they can continue in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

For a minute there I thought it was going to say Audi were going to buy the Williams F1 team.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    For a minute there I thought it was going to say Audi were going to buy the Williams F1 team.

I’d love it if that were the case, can’t see it happening after the VW emissions scandal though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Remember watching that crash at the start a few years ago, couldn't figure out how Ferrari would do that, still can't.

Hopefully Max doesn't get pancaked by them this year.

• Advertisement

Question about engines: Renault had their best recent result at monza, ferrari doing well on power circuits (they sen to have a low do enforce philosophy in general which hurts them elsewhere) Honda holding its own and capable of winking races when circumstances are right, and or course Mercedes doing a grand job.

What's the difference between engines now? Have the closed up to the point that it doesn't make much difference or is there still a clear pecking order?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Question about engines: Renault had their best recent result at monza, ferrari doing well on power circuits (they sen to have a low do enforce philosophy in general which hurts them elsewhere) Honda holding its own and capable of winking races when circumstances are right, and or course Mercedes doing a grand job.

What's the difference between engines now? Have the closed up to the point that it doesn't make much difference or is there still a clear pecking order?

I don't have enough to time quote certain Journalist pieces, but here is a great website F1technical that has a mix of Fans, engineeers and even F1 staff.

The consensus there is the following::

Qualifyin Peak Power
    Ferrari (990hp)
    Mercedes (-10hp)
    Renault (-20hp)
    Honda (25hp)

Race overall efficency:

Mercedes
    Ferrari
    Honda
    Renault

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

flexcon wrote: »
    I don't have enough to time quote certain Journalist pieces, but here is a great website F1technical that has a mix of Fans, engineeers and even F1 staff.

Qualifyin Peak Power
    Ferrari (990hp)
    Mercedes (-10hp)
    Renault (-20hp)
    Honda (25hp)

Race overall efficency:

Mercedes
    Ferrari
    Honda
    Renault

Did you leave Red Bull out purposely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Did you leave Red Bull out purposely

Honda is red bull

Honda is red bull

Apologies, was reading that all wrong!!!

flexcon wrote: »

Qualifyin Peak Power
    Ferrari (990hp)
    Mercedes (-10hp)
    Renault (-20hp)
    Honda (25hp)

Race overall efficency:

Mercedes
    Ferrari
    Honda
    Renault

Cheers for that. Looks like things are pretty close. 10bhp isn't a lot and it's much smaller than the gap in the past. 2014 gaps were massive.

Honda and Renault still significantly behind but doing reasonably well. Honda's trajectory over the last couple of years is great. If they could maintain it, they could be close to merc and ferrari next year. What are the chances they can maintain it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Cheers for that. Looks like things are pretty close. 10bhp isn't a lot and it's much smaller than the gap in the past. 2014 gaps were massive.

Honda and Renault still significantly behind but doing reasonably well. Honda's trajectory over the last couple of years is great. If they could maintain it, they could be close to merc and ferrari next year. What are the chances they can maintain it?

I happen to be a big Honda Fan over the past few years since I joined the forums and started reading some articles and pieces on the "Bad Mclaren" years. I am a huge Alonso fan but even I had to question the public damming of Honda towards the end.

But, to your question about Honda -
    Spec4 they have now is supposedly a match for Mercedes efficiency in the race. They can run the engine Hard, really hard for laps on end and it doesn't go pop. Its thermal efficiency is so good they can run in extreme heat and lower Air pressure than the others. Their venture with their Jet engine department seems to have fixed their troubled MGU-H part. With this, their energy recovery is now incredible. A Match for Mercedes.

Peak power still eludes though however on the test bench the current Spec4 has the ability to match Ferrari by year-end.

Next year is seriously going to be promising.
    I remember an interview with the boss and he even mentions being "Surprised" at how Hard they can run the Spec3 and 4 without issues.

So this will probably mean Vettel back to Red Bull.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Hamilton give Ferrari a go before the end of his career and maybe Alonso @ Merc for a couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I wouldn't be shocked to see Hamilton give Ferrari a go before the end of his career and maybe Alonso @ Merc for a couple of years
    What?

What?

The progression with the Honda engine. Vettel's days in Ferrari are numbered anyway and i can't imagine Vettel would continue in the sport unless he had a realistic chance of winning races

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised by either of those moves but Alonso is gone. In recent times we've seen drives come back from retirement and it doesn't go well. Alonso is getting older, not faster.

He left F1 because he couldn't get a drive he wanted and the teams he wanted, didn't want him. If he comes back it would be primarily a publicity stunt and nobody really wants that.

Alonso is gone from F1. he was great and now he's gone

Not so sure. He hinted at the last race that a return could be on the cards

Not so sure. He hinted at the last race that a return could be on the cards

He has hinted he'll be back so many times. Every now and then he drops info that red bull asked for him. it looks desperate TBH. It's not because he doesn't want to come back, it's because the top teams don't need him and the baggage he carries. He causes war at every team he goes to. The team boss tends to lose their job. I wouldn't touch him as a team boss unless i planned to move soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

C4 will continue to show highlights of F1 for next season and more

https://twitter.com/C4F1/status/1173901910769750018?s=19

Ms

skipper_G wrote: »
    C4 will continue to show highlights of F1 for next season and more

https://twitter.com/C4F1/status/1173901910769750018?s=19

If only they could leave out the adds during the race highlights then it would not be so bad. I do not mind the adds during the qualifying highlights but hate them during the race highlights and never watch them so they are wasted anyway. I wonder is there anyone here that actually watch's the adds during there race highlights. Maybe we should start a petition to ask C4 to stop showing them during the race highlights. I do not mind them before or after it just not during the race itself as it ruins it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

If only they could leave out the adds during the race highlights then it would not be so bad. I do not mind the adds during the qualifying highlights but hate them during the race highlights and never watch them so they are wasted anyway. I wonder is there anyone here that actually watch's the adds during there race highlights. Maybe we should start a petition to ask C4 to stop showing them during the race highlights. I do not mind them before or after it just not during the race itself as it ruins it.

The race is highlights and edited so the adds don't affect the racing anyway. Wether we watch them or not does not matter, it's revenue for a FTA channel. In fairness, when it was live, channel 4 didn't have adds

Ms

The race is highlights and edited so the adds don't affect the racing anyway. Wether we watch them or not does not matter, it's revenue for a FTA channel. In fairness, when it was live, channel 4 didn't have adds

I know its highlights. What I am saying is could they not do the highlights with no add breaks for the race part but they could still have adds during there highlights just during the talking part of it and yes it does effect my enjoyment of watching the race and other people to I am sure.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They can't "pretend it's live". The advertisers pay more for in race adverts then the supporting material because a lot of people will switch on when the race starts and switch off when the race is over. If you give the viewer the chance to not see ads then the advertisers will stay away and Channel 4 will either have to quit altogether or bring in more drastic cost cutting such as commentating from England rather than on site. Ads are a necessary evil in order to to keep the show going. The BBC can't afford it right now.

Ms

flazio wrote: »
    They can't "pretend it's live". The advertisers pay more for in race adverts then the supporting material because a lot of people will switch on when the race starts and switch off when the race is over. If you give the viewer the chance to not see ads then the advertisers will stay away and Channel 4 will either have to quit altogether or bring in more drastic cost cutting such as commentating from England rather than on site. Ads are a necessary evil in order to to keep the show going. The BBC can't afford it right now.

Good point. In that case I will continue to only watch the C4 highlights after they have been recorded and continue to skip the adds.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I know its highlights. What I am saying is could they not do the highlights with no add breaks for the race part but they could still have adds during there highlights just during the talking part of it and yes it does effect my enjoyment of watching the race and other people to I am sure.

Ah yeah but that's precisely the point of putting the ads in the part people are most likely to see and least likely to skip.

I fast forward all the soapy hand job interviews in the coverage. The only bit I watch is the quali recap and race highlights. So I respect the fact that they would put the ads in the bit that I actually watch. I still fast forward the ads during the race but if I were to forget or leave the ads run, it would be during the actual race highlights

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement