Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Waters gone mad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Someone was saying here that Fintan O'Toole was saying in his book that he viewed all pro Brexit voters as deranged. Well; John Waters himself is politically advocating for an Irish exit from the EU while being stringed along with Nigel Farage. You probably remember those meetings for Irexit that were held in the RDS in Dublin and reported by our media in recent months. There is even a thread made somewhere about Irexit on boards.ie. Would Fintan O'Toole actually say in front of John Water's face that he is deranged when they both write their own columns for the same newspaper?

Waters doesn’t write for the Irish Times any more.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Someone was saying here that Fintan O'Toole was saying in his book that he viewed all pro Brexit voters as deranged. Well; John Waters himself is politically advocating for an Irish exit from the EU while being stringed along with the group's supposed leader Nigel Farage. You probably remember those meetings for Irexit that were held in the RDS in Dublin and reported by our media in recent months. There is even a thread made somewhere about Irexit on boards.ie. Would Fintan O'Toole actually say in front of John Water's face that he is deranged when they both write their own columns for the same newspaper?
    That was me. O'Toole didn't describe them as deranged in the article. He described a mentality still rooted in WWII and with weird invasion fantasies, which I described as deranged.

Edit: I reread my post. I'd actually clarified in it that he didn't call them deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

He promised to leave the country if Yes won.
    Several times, if memory serves.

Despite all his protests about marriage laws he wasn't married to Sinea, or even in a long term relationship.
    I am shocked, SHOCKED, that Waters is a hypocryte!!!:D:D:D

He wasn't actively loading when parked illegally and rather than accept a fine went to court.
    He even thought at one stage that they'd forgotten about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

I blame his Eurovision sojourn.

He was a sore-headed crank long, long before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

tawnyowl wrote: »
    He was a sore-headed crank long, long before that.

Whatever about that, his commenting on depression as 'bull****' made me consign him fully to the gob****e category.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Whatever about that, his commenting on depression as 'bull****' made me consign him fully to the gob****e category.
    Probably projection/denial from a man with mental health issues himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I take my hat off to anyone who can force themselves to read that fúcking drivel masquerading as a newspaper article, i got as far as the bit about Katy French being everyones daughter and i just couldn't go on any further.

John Waters is an insufferable gobshíte, always was, always will be - that's about all there is to say about the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There was something about the 80s in Ireland that produced high octane pontificating spoofers like John Waters

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Bambi wrote: »
    There was something about the 80s in Ireland that produced high octane pontificating spoofers like John Waters

Back in the day he produced 600 words of Psueds Corner type verbiage with a vaguely rural Irish twist which for some reason the Irish Time seemed obliged to give space to. It was impossible to discern his world view but you would think he was a persuasive chancer who was eventually unmasked, the Eurovision fiasco being one turning point. Embittered he turned to the last refugee of any scoundrel and he had now a fully crystallised world view for the first time.

He wants to leave the EU and return to the embrace of Mother England by rejoining the UK . The various reasons
    for this include his consulting various arcana to discover that this will lead to the reconversion of the British includeing NI prods to the one true faith. He also believes that things thought quintessentially Irish like GAA are English imports and vice versa and the need to import more English traditional practices in Ireland. You can read all about it in his New soon to be self published book Morris Dancing at the Crossroads.

On a scale of one to crazy, John Waters fathered a child with Sinead O'Connor.

He's always been pushing the limit.

It increasingly looks like,she was the sane one in that relationship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I take my hat off to anyone who can force themselves to read that fúcking drivel masquerading as a newspaper article, i got as far as the bit about Katy French being everyones daughter and i just couldn't go on any further.

John Waters is an insufferable gobshíte, always was, always will be - that's about all there is to say about the man!

Ah in fairness that article was absolutely gas.

What I love about Waters is how he's positioned himself as forgotten rural Ireland's voice, railing against the cosy D4 establishment Liberal consensus ... From his big gaff in Dun Laoghaire paid for by being an Irish Times columnist along with various sinecures on the likes of RTE after he batted for FF when it was all powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This thread only started a year ago which is surprising because that thread title would have been as fitting 20 years ago.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Ah in fairness that article was absolutely gas.

What I love about Waters is how he's positioned himself as forgotten rural Ireland's voice, railing against the cosy D4 establishment Liberal consensus ... From his big gaff in Dun Laoghaire paid for by being an Irish Times columnist along with various sinecures on the likes of RTE after he batted for FF when it was all powerful.

Forgotten rural Ireland thinks he's a fruitcake too believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Paranoid Personality Disorder, could it be related to that.

How does someone start out reasonably rational and over the years get completely paranoid, is is personality, something that happened to them or what?

mariaalice wrote: »
    Paranoid Personality Disorder, could it be related to that.

How does someone start out reasonably rational and over the years get completely paranoid, is is personality, something that happened to them or what?

Pretty much this.

Waters has clearly struggled with some kind of mental illness off and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

No google so much harder to check facts made it much easier for them plus hotpress gave them an outlet.

The late late show from the 80s also is also intersting.

Ah, I kind of like John Waters.. His worldview (which was everyone else's up until 10 years ago..) just isn't hip really anymore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Pretty much this.

Waters has clearly struggled with some kind of mental illness off and on.

I wouldn't be a fan of John Waters but do you have anything to back up a history of him suffering from mental illness. If not you might want to consider retracting your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Ah, I kind of like John Waters.. His worldview (which was everyone else's up until 10 years ago..) just isn't hip really anymore..

No....they weren't.

He's been a d-bag for a lot longer than 10 years, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

holyhead wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan of John Waters but do you have anything to back up a history of him suffering from mental illness. If not you might want to consider retracting your post.

In case he gets sued?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

When the blasphemy law stuff first reared its head I went to a meeting about opposing it. Nothing too hardcore, I just thought it was bad legal precedent and wanted to see if there was a way of opposing it.

Anyway, so Waters shows up early and seats himself up the front, half turning his chair around like he's the star of the show, stretching up out of his seat so everyone can see him. Typical Irish "celebrity" stuff, apart from he looks genuinely dirty - not just scruffy but actually dirty.

Makes a big deal of knowing he's been recognized, makes a point of pantomime villain sneering everything anyone says, including a fairly frail older lady who made her point clearly but a little inelegantly, or doing a big cartoon "this is my listening face" to any suggestion of protest, as if to say he's "spying" on the whole thing. Essentially playing "not touching, can't get mad!" and drinking free tea. He blew his whole afternoon like that, IRL trolling a fairly small, fairly informal meeting for people with genuine concerns about stuff like extradition precedent, because he wanted to feel like the big famous bad boy in the building and that's how he gets his kicks.

It always stayed with me because it was such a small, harmless little meeting, but he seemed to be getting such a huge rush from making a big deal of it and making it a kind of ego trip thing, and this was when he was fairly high profile, so theoretically he had far better things to do.

In conclusion, on a very personal - rather than political - level, I think John Waters is an absolute prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

unless being an arsehole is a mental illness i dont think it is correct to say that waters has a mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is that a typo? You meant 50 years ago, right?

Is that a typo? You meant 50 years ago, right?

Ok.. we'll say 20..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ok.. we'll say 20..

20 years ago was the year 2000. waters is still in the last century.

No nothing to hand, but you never know what's going on inside a persons mind.

I think it's fair to say his behavior of late has been, well, odd. Much like his partner in crime who really needs help at this stage.

Waters has always been conservative in his outlook, which is fine, but in recent years it has gotten quite extreme.

Was never a fan of the man personally.

In case he gets sued?

John is in for quite a let down if he saw my bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

eagle eye wrote: »
    This thread only started a year ago which is surprising because that thread title would have been as fitting 20 years ago.

Same here. I thought it was one of those old thread as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think we were starved for celebrity and people of note in the media environment. It's how Priests became columnists and TV personalities and in bred D4 types RTE stars on over sized salaries. We were told their opinions mattered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Any official word back on why these idiots weren't moved on straight away by the Guards during their protest? It cant be because of "who he is", as he hasn't been relevant or even current for donkeys years. I can understand the boys in blue being a bit slow off the mark if ,say, Matt Damon suddenly decided to protest but these people are nobodies, strange there wasn't anything done..

Advertisement