Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to rid the world of protesters ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ELM327 wrote: »
    You never mentioned wife beating in the prior quote, just neo nazi.

Seeing a neo Nazi punched was funny, given who it was. Is it ok to punch a wife beater but not a neo Nazi in your book?
    It's a good example of the dichotomy that the liberal left has, it masquerades as "inclusion" but in reality it just changes what is ok from what I deem it to be, to what you deem it to be.

No. It’s not. It’s a fine example of what I find funny. That’s it really.

The “liberal left” is a meaningless phrase. I’m not liberal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

ELM327 wrote: »
    You never mentioned wife beating in the prior quote, just neo nazi.
    It's a good example of the dichotomy that the liberal left has, it masquerades as "inclusion" but in reality it just changes what is ok from what I deem it to be, to what you deem it to be.
    So we should be more inclusive of Neo Nazis? I'm grand, ta...
    Or if someone organises a himtoo rally to highlight false accusations against men, Antifa types will turn & chants " nazis go home " as to how highlighting false accusations is relevant to nazism is beyond me- but another example of left wing protesters of loosely thrown labels around.

Except false accusations are incredibly rare so it's more annoyance at legitimate accusations coming to the fore as of late. In this instance it's more the likes of the Red Pill tends to have a heavy overlap with the likes of the alt right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

batgoat wrote: »
    Except false accusations are incredibly rare so it's more annoyance at legitimate accusations coming to the fore as of late. In this instance it's more the likes of the Red Pill tends to have a heavy overlap with the likes of the alt right.

Personally I find that completely amazing. As soon as women, gays or ethnic/religious minorities highlight discrimination against them, up spring groups of white blokes who start screaming "what about me!!!!!"
    Well, what about you. You're a male of the right religion and skin colour and you happen to be born in the global top 10%, you have all the possible advantages and the deck is stacked heavily in your favour.
    You need to accept that the world isn't always about you and you alone.

Personally I find that completely amazing. As soon as women, gays or ethnic/religious minorities highlight discrimination against them, up spring groups of white blokes who start screaming "what about me!!!!!"
    Well, what about you. You're a male of the right religion and skin colour and you happen to be born in the global top 10%, you have all the possible advantages and the deck is stacked heavily in your favour.

I'd suspect in part it's because their existing questionable behaviour is finally being called into question.

• Advertisement

If men want to protest false accusations then let them. Doesn't affect you.

If a group wishes to counter protest, they're as entitled to do so... It's a fundamental right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

That gowl in Cork protesting in her bra and knickers in November :rolleyes: The thing is nobody takes a blind bit of notice of protests they will change nothing. Ok the water protest worked but water charges are coming soon.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    That gowl in Cork protesting in her bra and knickers in November :rolleyes: The thing is nobody takes a blind bit of notice of protests they will change nothing. Ok the water protest worked but water charges are coming soon.

The 8th amendment, same sex marriage and actually the demos on the case in Cork have resulted in our government promising to look further into the issue so we could see changes on how such trials are conducted. So public demonstrations can help in terms of pushing for changes... Other international examples of public demonstrations that had an impact. Anti-Vietnam War, Civil Rights Movement protests and the LGBT March on Washington in 1993 was hugely influential.

So protest can bring political change, this is proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Half agree with your point in that there have been some stupid protests. Stupid protests over decisions that are basically saying "we weren't bothered to sort this out when it was an issue cos u know like politics is boring? and I'm too busy being a full time hypocritical idiot to put a modicum of attention into current affairs until it's too late"

But it is very important to show that you can and should protest. Because that's a trend you want to keep going. Showing that a galvanisation of people can still occur. That you're not alone and together with enough effort then there can come about change. I mean let's look at the water charges as a small example. Collectively most said no and marched/protested in some form and lo and behold water charges are essentially being thrown out the window

So yeah. Agree with you on the idiots marching but don't agree with you on the act of protests being a thing that should go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

batgoat wrote: »
    The 8th amendment, same sex marriage and actually the demos on the case in Cork have resulted in our government promising to look further into the issue so we could see changes on how such trials are conducted. So public demonstrations can help in terms of pushing for changes... Other international examples of public demonstrations that had an impact. Anti-Vietnam War, Civil Rights Movement protests and the LGBT March on Washington in 1993 was hugely influential.

So protest can bring political change, this is proven.

Fair enough but a woman in her bra and knickers in November reeks looking for attention. They also don't know what happen at the trial and I very much doubt the jury were swayed by a thong but the media ran with it and women's rights activists ran with it and made a complete arse of themselves in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fair enough but a woman in her bra and knickers in November reeks looking for attention. They also don't know what happen at the trial and I very much doubt the jury were swayed by a thong but the media ran with it and women's rights activists ran with it and made a complete arse of themselves in the process.

Not familiar with the specific incident, but if a protest is not attracting attention, then something's gone wrong with the protest.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

In UCD they built a big lake to fill in space to stop students protesting.
    I'm not sure if the same idea is behind the reflecting pool in Washington DC.
    Some sort of water feature seems to be the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    In UCD they built a big lake to fill in space to stop students protesting.
    I'm not sure if the same idea is behind the reflecting pool in Washington DC.
    Some sort of water feature seems to be the way to go.

Yes. UCD is completely devoid of open spaces all right. Its why they they didnt build any car parks, sports facilities, or leave any space between the buildings.

The issue that the case highlighted was the highly inappropriate way in which the complainant treated and includes how the defence plays on rape myths. Eg that her clothing shows that she wants to have sex. So you are misrepresenting the concerns that were raised as a result...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Brian? wrote: »
    Here’s a challenge: organise an anti immigration, anti Islam or anti refugee protest. See who shows up.

Or you can save yourself the time and see who shows up at previous protests of this type. Notice anything about them?

Anyone who has done has been ended up with a life of misery look at Geert Wilders for example. His life is under threat from Islamic savages and is under 24/7 protection. Left wings thugs would shout abuse at you all for exercising your democratic right.

There is a growing backlash against mass immigration even here in Ireland look at the protests in Wicklow against turning a local hotel into a direct provision centre and in Lisdoonvarna.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The crazies are already among us..

They're waiting for instruction from twitter on the next cause for outrage.

Rennaws wrote: »

No, that's just you feeding your confirmation bias!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The crazies aren't just on the left though. The far left has become absolutely ruined by maniacs but that doesn't legitimise or mitigate the mania on the other side.

No, that's just you feeding your confirmation bias!

Are you suggesting there won’t be another “cause” along shortly to satisfy the mobs quest for drama, finger pointing and outrage ?

History would indicate otherwise. We’re already seeing it with this #himtoo nonsense..

And you seem so completely oblivious to the fact that as humans we’re all affected by confirmation bias to some extent.

None of us are unique in that respect.

I haven’t been on FB, Instagram or Twitter for the last 4 years in part because I’m so aware of the confirmation bias when using these social media platforms. I follow multiple news outlets for the same reason although they’ve all become one of the same at this stage.

Anyway, the only difference I can see is that I'm actually aware of it enough not to go around wagging my finger at others for it in the manner in which you’re doing.

In my biased experience, that kind of hypocrisy and lack of self awareness appears to be very much the reserve of the left..

The crazies aren't just on the left though. The far left has become absolutely ruined by maniacs but that doesn't legitimise or mitigate the mania on the other side.

Agreed. There will always be extremes on both sides but just now the left seem to have both the media and the government backing them and political correctness is very much the main stream ideology.

I fluckin hate political correctness.

I consider the left as a far greater risk to my personal freedoms just now then I do any right leaning movement. I know I’m not alone in that..

• Advertisement

Did you pay your water tax this year?... oh wait!

no.of course not

clean water is free now because of our heroes

theres no cost to the state at all in providing this service and as a citizen there is definitely no way in which that service was paid for from other sources or in other services not provided

no sir. definitely not.

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

People these days seem bored and unable to occupy spare time productively? We were always far too busy getting food etc to go on demos...

Maybe a spin off from some aspects of the welfare state? Just a thought.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭circadian

I am sick of them. Protests about everything these days. By people so deluded they think they are making a difference. Just go home. Snowflakes are a serious part of the problem........

Hi there Donnie. I'm guessing the job as president isn't quite what you thought it would be. Don't worry, I'm sure your buddies will figure a way out to make baton charging these pesky protesters perfectly legal and above board.

Just sit tight and enjoy your fillet o fish power meal and wash it down with that refreshing diet coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

My noble friend surely understands the mob exists to cause anarchy so that the senate can carry out business for the benefit of the republic. Of course fiends will always attempt to buy influence using these dogs to carry out their own personal business and when not sanctioned will be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Do you really want a world where the "powers that be" are in total control and beyond reproach, and no one is allowed to say anything to the contrary!
    Go to North Korea, you'll feel right at home there.

Yes, I'm tired of not being able to decide what watch on Netflix.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, I'd rather have the left than the right.
    The left will demonstrate for 17 gender pronouns for broccoli while the right are usually a bunch of skinheads shouting "Heil Hitler" and chasing any dark skinned people they come across.
    I know which I will prefer.
    It will be tough on some, all this tolerance for gays, women, brown people, other religions and being environmentally aware, but it's better than hatred and bigotry, I couldn't devote my time to the auld bigotry meself, just don't have the time for it

Are you suggesting there won’t be another “cause” along shortly to satisfy the mobs quest for drama, finger pointing and outrage ?

History would indicate otherwise. We’re already seeing it with this #himtoo nonsense..

And you seem so completely oblivious to the fact that as humans we’re all affected by confirmation bias to some extent.

None of us are unique in that respect.

I haven’t been on FB, Instagram or Twitter for the last 4 years in part because I’m so aware of the confirmation bias when using these social media platforms. I follow multiple news outlets for the same reason although they’ve all become one of the same at this stage.

Anyway, the only difference I can see is that I'm actually aware of it enough not to go around wagging my finger at others for it in the manner in which you’re doing.

In my biased experience, that kind of hypocrisy and lack of self awareness appears to be very much the reserve of the left..

You haven't been in Twitter in four years, and yet you know exactly what seems be there... Interesting.

And what do you mean by 'the left'? Everyone left of your stance? Everyone left of center? Everyone left of moderate left?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Not always though. There are working class boys who are white who are doing badly at school, have little employment opportunity etc. I have mates in the midlands of England who have degrees but the only jobs they can get are zero hours, minimum wage sh*t in warehouses while they live at home.

Do black people and women etc face specific problems. Yes of course. Does that mean that all straight white men are living the high life? Does it b*llocks. This privilege theory craic is one of the most annoying things to emerge in recent years.

The left will demonstrate for 17 gender pronouns for broccoli while the right are usually a bunch of skinheads shouting "Heil Hitler" and chasing any dark skinned people they come across.
    I know which I will prefer.

I'd prefer somewhere in the middle where people are just left to be themselves without interference by a mob from either side on some form of "righteous" crusade..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Cool initials, T.R.O.L. lots of responses here.

Advertisement