Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to rid the world of protesters ?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You haven't been in Twitter in four years, and yet you know exactly what seems be there... Interesting.

Believe me, don't believe me whatever, i don't care.

If your accusing me of lying because I referred to #himtoo, I actually read about that on here somewhere.

Unfortunately this moronic hashtag nonsense does make it outside the twitter bubble.
    And what do you mean by 'the left'? Everyone left of your stance? Everyone left of center? Everyone left of moderate left?

The hashtag herd..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,168 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Rennaws wrote: »
    Believe me, don't believe me whatever, i don't care.

If your accusing me of lying because I referred to #himtoo, I actually read about that on here somewhere.

Unfortunately this moronic hashtag nonsense does make it outside the twitter bubble.

The hashtag herd..

I'm accusing you of confirmation bias. Your last two replies to me have enforced my belief

And you are getting extremely wound up about things for someone who doesn't care.

As for your definition of "left" - "the hastag herd"...? Think you need to review that one. Politically speaking and etymologically speaking.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'm accusing you of confirmation bias. Your last two replies to me have enforced my belief

And you are getting extremely wound up about things for someone who doesn't care.

As for your definition of "left" - "the hastag herd"...? Think you need to review that one. Politically speaking and etymologically speaking.

Accuse me of whatever you like. I said I don’t care whether you believe me or not.

And I don’t.

As for my definition of left, well we’re not going to agree so let’s not go down that rat hole..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Accuse me of whatever you like. I said I don’t care whether you believe me or not.

And I don’t.

As for my definition of left, well we’re not going to agree so let’s not go down that rat hole..

You do realise that it was the left that hold a large degree of the responsibility for Ireland's two incredibly historical referendums as of late.... So call them a hashtag herd if you wish but they've brought about positive change in this nation.

batgoat wrote: »
    You do realise that it was the left that hold a large degree of the responsibility for Ireland's two incredibly historical referendums as of late.... So call them a hashtag herd if you wish but they've brought about positive change in this nation.

I think you do both of those campaigns a major disservice by aligning them to some of the nonsense that’s being spouted on social media lately.

As for the left claiming any victory, they were referendums therefore it was down to the people who voted on the day and they did so with their conscience regardless of any right or left leanings.

The people won on both occasions.. not the left.

• Advertisement

I think you do both of those campaigns a major disservice by aligning them to some of the nonsense that’s being spouted on social media lately.

As for the left claiming any victory, they were referendums therefore it was down to the people who voted on the day and they did so with their conscience regardless of any right or left leanings.

Did you miss all those public demonstrations on both of the issues that brought national attention to the issues and very much so influenced the referendums coming about. The large amount of campaigning on the issue was also primarily from the left. The organisations opposed in both instances tended to fall heavily towards the right.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And not the right either by your logic.

Did you miss all those public demonstrations on both of the issues that brought national attention to the issues and very much so influenced the referendums coming about. The large amount of campaigning on the issue was also primarily from the left. The organisations opposed in both instances tended to fall heavily towards the right.:rolleyes:

But, but, but....it was the Government who called these referendums. And it’s Paul Murphy demanding the word “woman” be removed from the wording of the abortion bill, forgetting that only the female of the species can get pregnant!

That's not what he did - that's what YOU did when you defined everything politically left as the "hastag herd". And as for accuracy, it wasn't the socially conservative right who decided on change. Last I saw, they were campaigning for a no vote.

Or are we to believe that, by your standards, anything NOT "hashtag herd" is automatically right wing?

Did you miss all those public demonstrations on both of the issues that brought national attention to the issues and very much so influenced the referendums coming about.

Look, the people voted as they saw fit. They didn't need you or any movement to tell them how to vote. In fact i remember a lot of people getting really hacked off at being preached at by the left and being told how to think and vote. The right were a non entity. Nobody took them at all seriously and they were a tiny minority.

The people voted in favour despite the crazies on the left screaming in their ears all the way to the ballot box. Despite them, not because of them and conflating #metoo, #himtoo and #whateverthe****elsetheythinkofnext with referendums as important as the SSM and Abortion referendums is doing them a major injustice imo.

Also worth nothing that the left didn't do so well in the presidential election where there was a strong right wing tone to that 23% swing in favour of Peter Casey.

People will vote for their own reasons and as they see fit, not how you see fit.
    Or are we to believe that, by your standards, anything NOT "hashtag herd" is automatically right wing?

It can be whatever you want it to be. As i've said, we're not going to agree on this so let's not go there..

• Advertisement

Look, the people voted as they saw fit. They didn't need you or any movement to tell them how to vote. In fact i remember a lot of people getting really hacked off at being preached at by the left and being told how to think and vote. The right were a non entity. Nobody took them at all seriously and they were a tiny minority.

The people voted in favour despite the crazies on the left screaming in their ears all the way to the ballot box. Despite them, not because of them and conflating #metoo, #himtoo and #whateverthe****elsetheythinkofnext with referendums as important as the SSM and Abortion referendums is doing them a major injustice imo.

Also worth nothing that the left didn't do so well in the presidential election where there was a strong right wing tone to that 23% swing in favour of Peter Casey.

People will vote for their own reasons and as they see fit, not how you see fit.

It can be whatever you want it to be. As i've said, we're not going to agree on this so let's not go there..

You're rewriting history somewhat in relation to those referendums. The results were greatly related to the largescale campaigning and demonstrating that occurred.

It was your answer you suddenly don't seem to agree with, so I'm not surprised you don't want to go there. So be it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You’re tying yourself in knots here. The left didn’t do “so well” in the presidential election? Michael D won in a land slide.

You’re basically saying there no point in anyone campaigning for anything, people will simply make up their own minds. Which is completely untrue. There’s an entire industry built on guiding peoples opinions.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I dont think snowflakes are to blame for everything

Lots of people want what they cant afford. Many whinge about air quality while driving their kids to school in a hugh gas guzzling monstrosity that they can barely manage to drive.

Some just love showing up at whatever protest is the latest one - like to be seen im guessing.

I dont think snowflakes are to blame for everything

Lots of people want what they cant afford. Many whinge about air quality while driving their kids to school in a hugh gas guzzling monstrosity that they can barely manage to drive.

Some just love showing up at whatever protest is the latest one - like to be seen im guessing.

Oh, there's definitely a strong element of that at some protests, I agree.

The problem starts when people think that that's the mindset of EVERY person who ever attends ANY protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I am sick of them. Protests about everything these days. By people so deluded they think they are making a difference. Just go home. Snowflakes are a serious part of the problem, and seem to be the fuel on the fire in the proliferation over the last decade or so.

The price of houses (cop on, and accept the fact that you cannot afford the standard and location of house that you think you are entitled to folks), insurance premiums, judges opinions on court evidence, the environment (REALLY want to do something for it ? Cancel the family holiday flight next year and stay at home), etc, etc.

And the same nonsense every weekend in other modern countries: regretting a decision you made in a referendum (you should have discussed the issue and voted as responsible adults the first time), upset at a rise in fuel prices and the elimination of polluting cars from cities (yet, next weekend you will probably be out marching for clean air), the implementation of migrant policies (by a government you only just elected to do just that), the appointment of a judge (by a President you elected and a legislature you elected to approve them).

Stop with the 'witty' slogans, roll up your flags, wash the paint off your faces and stop looking like junior infants. You live in democratic countries and have various forms of suffrage to determine the governance of your country. Use it correctly, and cut out the group hug nonsense that if you dont like something about the world, if you can just get enough people to walk down a street together or block a bridge, the problem will be cured.
    Am fed up with the lot of you.

How do we rid the world of this scourge ? I am almost torn between organising a march or a rally.

I've said this before on threads. Many protestors throughout Irelands history weren't popular at the time the most famous being the rabble of trouble makers that destroyed Dublin city in 1916. These men were considered scum by the average Irish person at the time. They were jeered & had things thrown at them as they were marched through the streets. Not by British people but by Irish people. It took their deaths to sway public opinion.

Womens votes, womens rights to work, Divorce, abortion, same sex marriage. None of these were popular protests when they started out. All of these were seen as annoying winging groups.

For the most part people only jump on the band wagon when the hard work is done & the campaign gets trendy

You're rewriting history somewhat in relation to those referendums. The results were greatly related to the largescale campaigning and demonstrating that occurred.

Both were backed by the government and supported by the people in the main. The reason they passed is because they were backed by the government and supported by people in the main. If you were actively involved good on you.. You may have influenced some votes on the edge but you didn't change the outcome no matter how much you claim you did.

If you want an example of how protests can actually force change, look no further then Irish Water.
    Brian? wrote: »
    You’re basically saying there no point in anyone campaigning for anything

Nice try Cathy but that's not what I said :rolleyes:
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've said this before on threads. Many protestors throughout Irelands history weren't popular at the time the most famous being the rabble of trouble makers that destroyed Dublin city in 1916. These men were considered scum by the average Irish person at the time. They were jeered & had things thrown at them as they were marched through the streets. Not by British people but by Irish people.

Indeed. Just like those of us who campaigned against Irish Water. We had the government actively working against us at every turn. It's the only time in my life that i've ever been called scum but there ye go..

Such was the average Irish persons desire to hand more of their hard earned cash over to DoB.

I assume you've received your refund :p

You're welcome :D

Both were backed by the government and supported by the people in the main. The reason they passed is because they were backed by the government and supported by people in the main. If you were actively involved good on you.. You may have influenced some votes on the edge but you didn't change the outcome no matter how much you claim you did.

Tell me - who do you think influenced the government? And what do you think the people who supported it were doing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Nice try Cathy but that's not what I said :rolleyes:

You're repeatedly saying protests haven't meant anything, aren't you?

So you think protests are pointless or not?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I am sick of them. Protests about everything these days. By people so deluded they think they are making a difference. Just go home. Snowflakes are a serious part of the problem, and seem to be the fuel on the fire in the proliferation over the last decade or so.

The price of houses (cop on, and accept the fact that you cannot afford the standard and location of house that you think you are entitled to folks), insurance premiums, judges opinions on court evidence, the environment (REALLY want to do something for it ? Cancel the family holiday flight next year and stay at home), etc, etc.

And the same nonsense every weekend in other modern countries: regretting a decision you made in a referendum (you should have discussed the issue and voted as responsible adults the first time), upset at a rise in fuel prices and the elimination of polluting cars from cities (yet, next weekend you will probably be out marching for clean air), the implementation of migrant policies (by a government you only just elected to do just that), the appointment of a judge (by a President you elected and a legislature you elected to approve them).

Stop with the 'witty' slogans, roll up your flags, wash the paint off your faces and stop looking like junior infants. You live in democratic countries and have various forms of suffrage to determine the governance of your country. Use it correctly, and cut out the group hug nonsense that if you dont like something about the world, if you can just get enough people to walk down a street together or block a bridge, the problem will be cured.

How do we rid the world of this scourge ? I am almost torn between organising a march or a rally.

Tbh id be more in favor of getting rid of all people that bitch and moan to anyone that will listen, but wont actually lift a finger to do anything about it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Protestors are fine, It is the damn activists I have an issue with, they are comparable to the religious zealots trying to convert people to their religion. Look I do not care about you perceived injustices in the world as life is a struggle for everyone and we will choose to live life as best we can on our own terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Offer a wage and tell them protesting is work??

Advertisement