Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to rid the world of protesters ?

Options

Comments

dulpit wrote: »
    This. Literally stopped reading the second I saw this.

No, you didn’t.

You continued reading, then quoted a comment as part of your own reply.

So you didn’t ‘literally’ stop reading the ‘second I saw this’.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    You have the democratic right to protest according the left if you're protesting about gender issues, housing issues, discrimination issues, abortion issues etc. But it's not at all okay if you want to protest against immigration issues, refugee issues or Islam issues as you're a sick racist nazi if you do that.

Here’s a challenge: organise an anti immigration, anti Islam or anti refugee protest. See who shows up.

Or you can save yourself the time and see who shows up at previous protests of this type. Notice anything about them?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Stephen15 wrote: »
    You have the democratic right to protest according the left if you're protesting about gender issues, housing issues, discrimination issues, abortion issues etc. But it's not at all okay if you want to protest against immigration issues, refugee issues or Islam issues as you're a sick racist nazi if you do that.

You're a sick racist nazi if your beliefs align with what the nazi's would want. Not for protesting.

I'd say that someone was a hardline communist if their beliefs align with the beliefs aligned with Stalin's. It's your beliefs that get you those labels, not the fact that you protest.

btw, you're fully allowed to organise a protest. As someone already said, go ahead and do it. See how many people turn up. Maybe it'll be better than this.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/hot-topics/brexit/ukip-meps-brexit-protest-fails-big-crowds/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

nope

but let them stay the fcuk off the roads when having their morally superior tantrums

Did you pay your water tax this year?... oh wait!

I’m glad that I live in a society where protests, peaceful or not, are allowed. What I would like to see are people who act the boll**, as seen at some water meter protests, dealt with immediately. Marching is one thing but the behavior of some towards innocent workers was unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Oh, I am glad to and want to live in a country that has no restrictions on protests too.
    My issue is not with that at all.

It is with the hair-trigger protest culture - todays protesters themselves - that has become less protest, more group whinge slash tantrum, combined with an infantile attitude that if they 'do something' (protesting is an expressing of unhappiness, it isnt really doing anything to solve a problem - but they like the illusion that it is) and express that dissatisfaction, then the problem will go away. Like a crying baby having the soother put into its mouth.

It used to be an undergrad sorta thing, which was as much a chance to hang out together, drink, and flirt with the opposite sex (can I even say that these days, or does it date me?), as a lets-change-society idealism.
    Now it seems grown adults are protesting in the same manner, for all manner of topics. When they should actually be the responsible ones truly trying to solve the issues, not standing around holding up banners.

Protests are a legitimate free society, democratic lever. But to be used judiciously. And not just as an end in themselves for every problem out there. That just devalues protesting itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh, I am glad to and want to live in a country that has no restrictions on protests too.

It is with the hair-trigger protest culture - todays protesters themselves - that has become less protest, more group whinge slash tantrum, combined with an infantile attitude that if they 'do something' (protesting is an expressing of unhappiness, it isnt really doing anything to solve a problem - but they like the illusion that it is) and express that dissatisfaction, then the problem will go away. Like a crying baby having the soother put into its mouth.

It used to be an undergrad sorta thing, which was as much a chance to hang out together, drink, and flirt with the opposite sex (can I even say that these days, or does it date me?), as a lets-change-society idealism.
    Now it seems grown adults are protesting in the same manner, for all manner of topics. When they should actually be the responsible ones truly trying to solve the issues, not standing around holding up banners.

Protests are a legitimate free society, democratic lever. But to be used judiciously. And not just as an end in themselves for every problem out there. That just devalues protesting itself.

and not forgetting the "rent a crowd" lot who just turn up regardless.... we saw that here with the Shell to Sea protests. It invalidates the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

En masse protesting is still the most effective way to influence government policy.

The more people protesting the more scared ministers get about re-election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

En masse protesting is still the most effective way to influence government policy.

I would say voting is more effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Do you really want a world where the "powers that be" are in total control and beyond reproach, and no one is allowed to say anything to the contrary!
    Go to North Korea, you'll feel right at home there.

Or After Hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I am sick of them. Protests about everything these days. By people so deluded they think they are making a difference. Just go home. Snowflakes are a serious part of the problem, and seem to be the fuel on the fire in the proliferation over the last decade or so.

The price of houses (cop on, and accept the fact that you cannot afford the standard and location of house that you think you are entitled to folks), insurance premiums, judges opinions on court evidence, the environment (REALLY want to do something for it ? Cancel the family holiday flight next year and stay at home), etc, etc.

And the same nonsense every weekend in other modern countries: regretting a decision you made in a referendum (you should have discussed the issue and voted as responsible adults the first time), upset at a rise in fuel prices and the elimination of polluting cars from cities (yet, next weekend you will probably be out marching for clean air), the implementation of migrant policies (by a government you only just elected to do just that), the appointment of a judge (by a President you elected and a legislature you elected to approve them).

Stop with the 'witty' slogans, roll up your flags, wash the paint off your faces and stop looking like junior infants. You live in democratic countries and have various forms of suffrage to determine the governance of your country. Use it correctly, and cut out the group hug nonsense that if you dont like something about the world, if you can just get enough people to walk down a street together or block a bridge, the problem will be cured.
    Am fed up with the lot of you.

How do we rid the world of this scourge ? I am almost torn between organising a march or a rally.

You must have very little to do with yourself Rape dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I am sick of them. Protests about everything these days. By people so deluded they think they are making a difference. Just go home. Snowflakes are a serious part of the problem, and seem to be the fuel on the fire in the proliferation over the last decade or so.

The price of houses (cop on, and accept the fact that you cannot afford the standard and location of house that you think you are entitled to folks), insurance premiums, judges opinions on court evidence, the environment (REALLY want to do something for it ? Cancel the family holiday flight next year and stay at home), etc, etc.

And the same nonsense every weekend in other modern countries: regretting a decision you made in a referendum (you should have discussed the issue and voted as responsible adults the first time), upset at a rise in fuel prices and the elimination of polluting cars from cities (yet, next weekend you will probably be out marching for clean air), the implementation of migrant policies (by a government you only just elected to do just that), the appointment of a judge (by a President you elected and a legislature you elected to approve them).

Stop with the 'witty' slogans, roll up your flags, wash the paint off your faces and stop looking like junior infants. You live in democratic countries and have various forms of suffrage to determine the governance of your country. Use it correctly, and cut out the group hug nonsense that if you dont like something about the world, if you can just get enough people to walk down a street together or block a bridge, the problem will be cured.
    Am fed up with the lot of you.

How do we rid the world of this scourge ? I am almost torn between organising a march or a rally.
    Does anyone else cringe when they see this username? What kind of weirdo sees a name like that and thinks it would make a good name for a forum account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

As pointed out, large scale marches on the 8th and ssm helped both referendums to pass as they made it a front line issue. You're also assuming that adults who are protesting aren't making additional efforts outside of that to try to improve the situation... They do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thargor wrote: »
    Does anyone else cringe when they see this username? What kind of weirdo sees a name like that and thinks it would make a good name for a forum account?

You see it worked, it got a reaction from you, exactly what these people want. Better to ignore such juvenile crap and pass it bye.

The thread is a joke, protesting is an important part of any democracy, people faught and died so we would have the right to protest, it’s so take for granted that idiots start posts against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’d say Paul Murphy gets sexually aroused at the thought of a good protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Protests are not enough when it comes to climate change. Changing personal consumption habits is definitely not enough. We are facing impending cataclysm and seem too passive to try to stop it.

Globally, too many of the elite - the people with real access to power - have their fortunes intertwined with environmentally destructive practices. This prevents sufficient change happening quickly enough.

Meanwhile even those among the elite whose interests lay elsewhere seem focused on adapting to disaster, not preventing it. They build huge mansionlike bunkers all over the world.

The only hope is if great numbers of people mobilize and and act as a group, focused specifically on the core issue of annihilation.

Hippie culture as we know it today hijacked the effective protest counterculture of the 60s. Angry active and successful protesters suffered violence from the state, then turned inwards on apathetic stuff like drugs and meditation. That's what we usually think of now when we think of activists from the sixties - and by extension the image of environmentalists today - **** talking people up their own asses. Not sharp articulate and angry people capable of achieving significant social change.

Does anyone else cringe when they see this sickos username? What kind of weirdo sees a name like that and thinks it would make a good name for a forum account?
    A one second google produced this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_Lucretia

I know what it is, just because it has a Wikipedia entry doesn't mean its not a completely repulsive thing to choose as a username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

Protests are not enough when it comes to climate change. Changing personal consumption habits is definitely not enough. We are facing impending cataclysm and seem too passive to try to stop it.

Globally, too many of the elite - the people with real access to power - have their fortunes intertwined with environmentally destructive practices. This prevents sufficient change happening quickly enough.

Meanwhile even those among the elite whose interests lay elsewhere seem focused on adapting to disaster, not preventing it. They build huge mansionlike bunkers all over the world.

The only hope is if great numbers of people mobilize and and act as a group, focused specifically on the core issue of annihilation.

Hippie culture as we know it today hijacked the effective protest counterculture of the 60s. Angry active and successful protesters suffered violence from the state, then turned inwards on apathetic stuff like drugs and meditation. That's what we usually think of now when we think of activists from the sixties - and by extension the image of environmentalists today - **** talking people up their own asses. Not sharp articulate and angry people capable of achieving significant social change.

And in 100 years when history looks back, we will be looked upon as idiots who fell for the world's greatest con.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I would say voting is more effective.

Really? How do you explain the fall of the Berlin Wall and East European communism then?

If you vote for a party and said party does not get in, or does an about turn and decides not to implement the policy you based your vote on, what then? Happily sit back and endure for another five years?

It's commonly - and correctly - said that if voting changed anything, we wouldn't be allowed to do it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

How dare the homeless people be upset that they are homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

cordy1969 wrote: »
    And in 100 years when history looks back, we will be looked upon as idiots who fell for the world's greatest con.
    That idea makes no sense.

We are already seeing the effects of climate change.

The evidence to support that it is manmade and approaching catastrophe comes from multitudes of unrelated sources. The assertions that it is not comes from those who have interest in it being ignored.

I've heard of it being called a Chinese conspiracy, yet China are one of the worst offenders, so it is not in their interest to do any such thing.

I know what it is, just because it has a Wikipedia entry doesn't mean its not a completely repulsive thing to choose as a username.
    There are some here who would be offended if he called himself "king billy", so why criticise his choice of username?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The evidence to support that it is manmade and approaching catastrophe comes from multitudes of unrelated sources. The assertions that it is not comes from those who have interest in it being ignored.

I've heard of it being called a Chinese conspiracy, yet China are one of the worst offenders, so it is not in their interest to do any such thing.

Climate change being a hoax is a large part of the con.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

You are seeing what they have fabricated to make you believe, all part of the scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You should go tell the feminists..

You can all get outraged together..

You can make this your next cause of the hour

I’d say Paul Murphy gets sexually aroused at the thought of a good protest.

Look here. It’s Sunday. A day of Rest. My imagination has conjured up a picture that I cannot remove from my brain. I’ll try a Rosary.

There are some here who would be offended if he called himself "king billy", so why criticise his choice of username?
    This sentence is honestly so stupid I cant even come up with a reply to it, Ill let you get back to your global warming denial and Trump support.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

cordy1969 wrote: »
    You are seeing what they have fabricated to make you believe, all part of the scam.

What is the goal of the scam?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

How to rid the world of protesters ?....
    How do we rid the world of this scourge ?

If we could just get rid of all you war-glorifying, poppy-wearing Brexiters and your eternal Europhobic protests at the decline of Britain's world power that would be a decent start.

Advertisement