Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Movie Scene?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The diner scene in Reservoir Dogs discussing the true meaning of Like A Virgin is a standout too.

If we're talking about scenes we wait for though, its got to be Mr. Oranges recruitment and in particular "the commode story". Roth just sells it so well

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

One from the childhood but when john candy gives both barrels to the school principle....

Here's a quarter. Go down town and have a rat GNAW that thing off your face. Good day to you ma'am.

It's worth waiting for every time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

SeaFields wrote: »
    Goodfellas "what the fcuk is so funny about me"

This +1, only saw it recently enough, what an awesome movie !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Goodfellas I loved back in the day but I really don’t think it has aged that well. Scorsace is a bit of a one trick pony and the voiceovers with music sort of gets tired after a while. He really showed himself up with gangs of New York and I have as a result been more critical of his other work since to the point where I’m not that big a fan anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Higgins and Condor's final confrontation in Three Days Of The Condor:

Higgins: It's simple economics. Today it's oil, right? In ten or fifteen years, food. Plutonium. Maybe even sooner. Now, what do you think the people are gonna want us to do then?
    Joe Turner: Ask them?
    Higgins: Not now - then! Ask 'em when they're running out. Ask 'em when there's no heat in their homes and they're cold. Ask 'em when their engines stop. Ask 'em when people who have never known hunger start going hungry. You wanna know something? They won't want us to ask 'em. They'll just want us to get it for 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Ipso wrote: »

If it were possible to thank a post x 1000 I would :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Nobody opting for the 'most fist-pumping in the air scene ever' in the history of cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Car chase scene from the second Matrix movie.

'Biggus Dickus' scene from Life of Brian.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

The best set up line ever; "He has a wife you know...."

The guffawing like a 4 year old starts there cos you know what's coming!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

John Tuturro shining up his balls in The Big Lebowski in the bowling alley to the soundtrack of the Gypsy kings Hotel Calafornia.

The slowdown and cut to the tight pink lycra clad Tutturo when he scores a strike and does his victory dance and his strut back to his seat to the individual grimaces from messers Goodman,Bucemi and Bridges is classic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

tipptom wrote: »
    John Tuturro shining up his balls in The Big Lebowski in the bowling alley to the soundtrack of the Gypsy kings Hotel Calafornia.

The slowdown and cut to the tight pink lycra clad Tutturo when he scores a strike and does his victory dance and his strut back to his seat to the individual grimaces from messers Goodman,Bucemi and Bridges is classic.

Turturro is a very very underrated actor. Made Quiz Show for me. And I'm a huge Feinnes fan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Turturro is a very very underrated actor. Made Quiz Show for me. And I'm a huge Feinnes fan.

I couldn't believe it was the same guy playing the simple escaped convict in 'O Brother Where Art Thou?'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I couldn't believe it was the same guy playing the simple escaped convict in 'O Brother Where Art Thou?'

"I'm gonna keel you !!!"

More than a few scenes from that are worth a post in here TBH.

Certainly Clooney's best work as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

one of my all time favourite movies.
    i could have chosen any one of 20 scenes, all hilarious.

what the heck here's another,

even better ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Not the greatest ending, but one I always remember

"To late the hero" with Cliff Robertson and Michael Kane

I you haven't seen it it's a decent ww2 movie with a great ending

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0066471/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I should narrow the question down, a film you'd re-watch just for one scene, one where the hairs on your neck stand up every time? To top the first two films (arguably making it the most perfect cinematic trilogy ever) was an achievement in itself, it also contains one of film's greatest moments.... the Ride of the Rohirrim:

I much prefer the editing for this scene from the theatrical edition which leads into your video. The pacing is much more appropriate. In the theatrical cut, the city is breached and there is a montage of the Orcs over running the city. All seems lost, the world of men will fall but then Gandalf in the midst of the desperate fighting hears the horn from the Rohirrim off in the distance and he stops in his tracks. The scene then cuts to hundreds of horses cresting the hill and you get the swell of emotion with the rohan theme playing and the Orcs blindsided completely.

It just doesn't have the same impact in the extended edition. The same Orcs over running montage is kept but the exact same footage of Gandalf reacting is again used except this time it's Pippin alerting him that Denethor is going to burn Faramir alive. The scene then has a jarring cut to them approaching the citadel but they get stopped by the Witch King. After a brief scuffle, Gandalf is about to get his ass handed him but it's then we hear the horn from the Rohirrim, the Witch King flies off to investigate and it plays out as before.

Interesting how the same footage of Gandalf 'reacting' to two different events but for me the theatrical cut sways it every time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The café scene between Pacino and De Niro in Heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The Thin Red line

Lead up to and the climax of a classic war movie bunker scene. Shines out for the sense of impending doom in the lead up to the assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

The manhunt in the DIY warehouse in The Equalizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭yuridwyer

Yep, definitely should be in here, great scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Stwike him, centuwion. Wather woughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

"Murderer........."

I would make another case for this scene which has an entirely computer generated character with a split personality having a heated argument with itself.

Andy Serkis in the digital effects age redefined what acting has the potential to be. His on-set performance was extrapolated by the effects teams and through such a collaborative effort you watch with suspension of disbelief and accept the performance and the emotions pertaining to it. In the case of this scene, humour, manipulation, vitriol, bullying, submission and ultimately defiance.

You don't think that you are watching a special 'effect' but rather a character helping to tell the story. The Smeagol personality becoming dominant again but who will ultimately feel betrayed by Frodo allowing 'Gollum' to return. For me it was no more different than John Hurt's pre-digital era performance as John Merrick in The Elephant Man. He 'performed' through the heavy duty make up prosthetic's which themselves were so good that it lead to the creation of the Make Up category at the Academy Awards. Serkis himself was effectively snubbed by the Academy for his performance as Gollum/Smeagol in what is arguably one of the best supporting performances in cinematic acting. No doubt if he became emaciated (think Christian Bale in The Machinist thin) and wore a prosthetic's for the role he would have had swept the board at every award ceremony. His digitally 'rotoscoped' performance negated the need to do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Has anyone mentioned Misery, the hobbling scene? Watching it right now on Netflix, yikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’m sure it’s been said multiple times in the thread but Roger Kint leaving the police station in the usual suspects.

Advertisement