Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Movie Scene?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Not the greatest film but this scene from 3000 miles to Graceland stuck in my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Deliverance. One for the boys!

One in a similar vein to Deliverance would be Southern Comfort (1981) about a platoon of soldiers out training in the wilds who have inadvertently upset the locals. I must add there is a lush ambient soundtrack with the amazing Ry Cooder on lap steel guitar.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Another one from Fortress of War, WW2 movie about the German attack on the Russian held fortress at the start of operation Barbarossa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4qQtWjXPv4

Jack Palance setting a benchmark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

One in a similar vein to Deliverance would be Southern Comfort (1981) about a platoon of soldiers out training in the wilds who have inadvertently upset the locals. I must add there is a lush ambient soundtrack with the amazing Ry Cooder on lap steel guitar.

Southern comfort was a great film. From memory they were on a training exercise in the swamps around Cajun country and only had dummy ammo. Fired at some hicks for a joke and all hell broke loose. I watched this when I was quite young and the sense of dread at the end was immense. The great powers booth and one of the carradines starred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

This intense scene from Straight Time (1978).
    Dustin Hoffman and M Emmett Walsh
    Explodes around 1:18 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

Always liked this "you die first, get it?" scene from 'Tombstone', Doc Holiday shpinnin his two guns backwards lol

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

can't account for taste but srsly offering marvel movies and superman fight scenes and lotr itt......cmon ppl watch a few movies with some actual emotional heft as opposed to some special-effects over-scored crowdsourced marketing exercises....do yourselves a favour

• Advertisement

manchester by the sea.....affleck meets williams and her baby.....as good as acting and writing gets and if you watched this without your stomach turning then hats off... incredible scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

can't account for taste but srsly offering marvel movies and superman fight scenes and lotr itt......cmon ppl watch a few movies with some actual emotional heft as opposed to some special-effects over-scored crowdsourced marketing exercises....do yourselves a favour

The best thing about these type threads is that everyone has a different opinion/definition otherwise they would be pointless. Always handy to remember that rather than just criticising when those opinions don't conform to yours. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

timthumbni wrote: »
    Southern comfort was a great film. From memory they were on a training exercise in the swamps around Cajun country and only had dummy ammo. Fired at some hicks for a joke and all hell broke loose. I watched this when I was quite young and the sense of dread at the end was immense. The great powers booth and one of the carradines starred.

Yeah. That was Keith Carradine.
    A young Fred Ward was there too.

Powers Booth, as always, was fantastic playing as he often did, the strong introverted type.

Brilliant score from Ry Cooder.

In addition we also had the Balfa brothers, a real life Cajun band, who are playing in that clip you posted.
    John Creedon on Radio 1 still plays their music occasionally.

The Director Walter Hill was on a roll back then.
    He made The Driver before this.
    And The Warriors too.

And his next film 48 Hours was huge.

But I’d still say this is his best film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Probably the best acting i’ve ever seen and I mean in an understated way was in Captain Phillips at the end when the pirates get shot and he (Tom Hanks)is shaking uncontrollably while being treated by medical staff. If just so what you’d expect in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Dont be puttin Lord of the Rings in that bracket, that triology was done superbly and at the time we hadnt seen anything like it. Head and shoulders above many films before and after

bazz26 wrote: »
    The best thing about these type threads is that everyone has a different opinion/definition otherwise they would be pointless. Always handy to remember that rather than just criticising when those opinions don't conform to yours. ;)

i regret nothing, a fella has to call these things out!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah, even leaving aside personal tastes lumping LotR in with the marvel movies is a case of someone not being as knowledgeable as they’re pretending to be.

The opening credits of Cross of Iron is pretty powerful as well mixing in an innocent children's song with images of Hitler and the third Reich with images of the defeated army appearing towards the end of it. The film lives up to the introduction with being possibly one of the best anti-war war films.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Yeah, even leaving aside personal tastes lumping LotR in with the marvel movies is a case of someone not being as knowledgeable as they’re pretending to be.

well

if the defence is "all is subjective" then your implied critique falters in the same way

but lookit, that's enough on it. or we could start a dedicated thread in which i list the issues with lotr 😎

back on topic and apologies for prompting derail

death of mufasa

never got over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

The boat/tunnel scene in Willy Wonka. Gene Wilder is so eccentric and creepy. Apparently he scared the **** out of the actress who played Violet cos she thought he was genuinely losing his mind and had her in tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

When Renton walked into his bedroom and the piece of hash he hid under his bed 20 years ago was still there

You fookin dancer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I agree. It's probably why cinema has slid down the pot. The Lotr's scene posted earlier is nothing more than a feckin cartoon scene, A total and absolute SFX scene created on a computer. That's not filmmaking in any shape or form. I used to be a Peter Jackson fan, The guy had some real ingenuity when he made Bad Taste and the next two movies including Brain Dead. He's a mere producer with a computer now.
    bazz26 wrote: »

Yep. And opinions on filmmaking change all the time. However you have to admit that the craft has gone to pot with the explosion that is CGI and the resulting style in filmmaking. The new Stella is full to the brim with youngsters watching real films that relied on technique rather than technology. That said I love CGI but it needs to be reined in and used where it has a purpose and not as a replacement for actual filmmaking techniques. Sadly, we are ingrained in it now along with remakes and crappy so called original stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

For 1973 Westworld was a pretty good watch, quite ahead of its time, who would have thought that Yul Brynner could play such a cold and calculating robot. Was it the same director who also directed the The Terminator.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I agree. It's probably why cinema has slid down the pot. The Lotr's scene posted earlier is nothing more than a feckin cartoon scene, A total and absolute SFX scene created on a computer. That's not filmmaking in any shape or form..

Most of the Marvel films and LOR are still excellent works of filmmaking, there mega popular for a reason. Thers nothing wrong with sfx, I recently rewatched Shindlers list and it has a few unforgettable scenes including the girl in the red jacket but id still put the t-rex introduction in Jurassic park as Spieldbergs best film moment and one of the best film moments ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Except Brad Pitt's in that scene.

Advertisement