Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Movie Scene?

Options
  • 16-11-2018 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭

I should narrow the question down, a film you'd re-watch just for one scene, one where the hairs on your neck stand up every time? To top the first two films (arguably making it the most perfect cinematic trilogy ever) was an achievement in itself, it also contains one of film's greatest moments.... the Ride of the Rohirrim:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Oh Hi Mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The end of The Last of the Mohicans. The chase, music, landscape, photography, actors, everything about it is what film making should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I should narrow the question down, a film you'd re-watch just for one scene, one where the hairs on your neck stand up every time? To top the first two films (arguably making it the most perfect cinematic trilogy ever) was an achievement in itself, it also contains one of film's greatest moments.... the Ride of the Rohirrim:

Good will hunting. Any scene.
    /thread

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The nightmare sequence in Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo (1958). Which also happens to be my all time favorite film.

A close second would the amazing unknown voyage sequence in Stanley Kubrick’s incredible 2001: A Space Odessey (1968), which revolutionized the sci-fi genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its still the scene from True Romance for me, All Sicilians are part eggplant aka the Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken showdown.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

In terms of heavyweights and impact (coupled with simplicity) possibly Heat's coffee scene.

Obviously, highly subjective.

Other candidates:
    Gettysburg - BAYONETS
    Saving Private Ryan's opening battle scene, where the troop ship's front drops and men start getting chewed up. That was sobering.
    Usual Suspects - the final realisation scene. Favourite film of all time.
    True Romance - Hopper pissing off Walken. Up there with Heat for heavyweights.
    Sicario's border crossing scene deserves an honorable mention for tension building.
    Gladiator's opening battle scene. Superb. No other words required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Tears in Rain-Blade Runner

https://youtu.be/HU7Ga7qTLDU

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaintyDavy

i knew 2001 would show up in posts fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Another one that stands out for me is the Terminator first searching for Sarah Connor in the nightclub scene, first time I seen that I was blown away.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaintyDavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

The suspense gets me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Matrix 1"He's beginning to believe"

Unforgiven "If he was going to decorate his shop with my friend he should have armed himself"

Gladiator The Massacre of Carthage

Stardust When yer man realised Claire Danes is going to turn to dust (guilty pleasure)

LOTR Shelob's Lair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

The opening scene from Indina Jones Radiers of the lost Ark . Adventure, suspence and comedy brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

elias death scene in platoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The USS Indianapolis scene in Jaws

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There will be blood

Bowling alley scene.....

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Train station scene in Untouchables gets me every time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Batman Begins, closing scene, "a taste for the theatrical ... he leaves a calling card".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Just a few.

The shining.
    Full metal jacket.
    Jaws.
    No country for old men.
    Mostly anything with Clint Eastwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The Godfather part II, the senate committee scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Goodfellas "what the fcuk is so funny about me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

So many great movie scenes.

One that sticks in my mind is the final scene for the father in Life Is Beautiful, where he does a funny march for his hidden son, to make it seem like the final elimination is part of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Another one that stands out for me is the Terminator first searching for Sarah Connor in the nightclub scene, first time I seen that I was blown away.

Tech Noir, rocking on a Friday night.

A highlight for me is when Arnie goes shopping for new guns and shoots the guy from Gremlins. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not the best film or anything but a film I'll watch every so often is Pulp Fiction and the scene is the Ezekiel 25:17 scene.

When I first saw it I was 14/15 and thought it was the best film ever cos it was so different to anything I'd seen and there's probably an element of nostalgia.

But I love that scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

EDit wrote: »
    Train station scene in Untouchables gets me every time

yup, surprised to see it get only one mention (so far)

and the ending of Apocalypse Now (or the whole movie really)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Shawshank Redemption Ending Scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I was blown away by the powerful performances in this tense scene from the 1991 action classic "Samurai Cop".

A masterpiece!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Growing up there were the usual films such as Jaws, Raider's, Star Wars etc but when I was 12 I watched JFK and the courtroom scene where Garrison recounts "So what really happened that day" and the scene then segues into a superb, mad cap recap of the conspiracy plot was when my love of movies began in earnest.

Costner at the top of his game, John Williams' score which was more nuanced than his epic themes, some of cinema's best ever editing and cinematography coupled with an intelligent but bat siht crazy plot. It's just pure cinema, utterly kinetic.

Advertisement