Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

healy1835 wrote: »
    Hang in there mate. You're a great example to anyone who is nursing a niggle or two :)

+1 on this. Great to see someone dealing with a niggle/injury the right way rather than seeing as an excuse to skive. Will stand to you long term

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

A very Sunny Thursday 4 July
    Plan: 3m Easy, 6m Tempo, 3m Easy
    Actual: 5k Easy, 6.5k Tempo, 5k Easy, total 16,500m, hr 131avg 167 max, time 1:10:00

Basically baked under the afternoon sun. I drank 1.5L fluid during and after the session. Give me 10m running any day over 10m on the rower. There was no breeze to cool down either. I didn't exactly need the 3m or 5k warm up but I wanted to match the effort of the session if I was running. Within minutes I knew 6m or 10k was off the cards. I settled on 6.5k (about 4m) for the tempo at a very modest pace but the cardiac drift was faster in the heat. I backed off a bit once the heart rate hit the mid 160s. The sweat was running off me.

My heart rate barely dropped 10-15 beats for the "easy" 5k after the work but held it together for a good quality 70min aerobic session. I had to fly back to work so the mat and sun salutations will have to wait for later. Day 6 of no running. So looking forward to feeling the breeze in my face clocking up some miles.

Friday 5 July
    Plan:
    8m Easy
    Actual: Day off on docs orders.

No harm in another day for recovery. Went for a walk with my teenager for Noodles and all fine with the hip/glute

Saturday 6 July
    Plan: 10m Easy with strides
    Actual: 10.8m @8:31, with 8x20 sec strides, hr 136, time 1:32:00

A Run! Took it very easy under an incessant misty rain for the first few miles and felt good. The legs creaked a little but not unexpected after full week of no running. I kept the heart rate under 130 as much as I could as a control. It was the only metric on the watch. I did sense the left glute was working a tad harder but by the time I hit quiet country roads at mile 5 it had evened out. A week ago I was pushing through the pain but to the detriment of my gait and putting pressure on the opposite hip as a result. I felt more balanced today. When the rain stopped the roads dried out quickly. A mile from home I got into the strides. I focused on form and the felt good and more controlled than last time.

20 minutes on the mat afterwards focused on the hips, glutes and quads. I felt great. Not counting my chickens though. Last week I was getting through runs only for my hip to hurt walking around afterwards and the next day. If it feels good in the morning I'll run again. So happy to be running but will not let up on the mobility, flexibility and strength stuff.

Sunday 7 July
    Plan:
    16m Steady Long Run
    Actual: 16.15m @7:23, hr 152, time 1:59:14

I wasn't sure how I'd get on with this. Took the first mile easy then pushed on to a steady rhythm. Just heart rate on the watch again for control. I allowed myself a bit over steady on some hills but brought it back. The route was the bones of the first half of the GLR route. Warm and very humid. Felt grand up to 11m then niggles, effort, breathing all came on. Considered walking back home after 12m but struggled on. It was likely more dehydration than anything. Plus up late the last few nights watching Stranger Things 3 on Netflix. I don't watch much TV outside news and sport but love this series.

I stopped a couple of times on the last 4m but kept going with the steady effort.
    Overall I'm off the target pace (7:17) but hit it on 8 of the 16 miles and overall pace was not far off. As I get fitter I should get there naturally for the same effort. Gasping by the time I got home but a long run in the bag and despite a few tight spots the legs are ok. Significantly the left hip/glute is ok.

A few hours later I did Day 1 of the Kinetic 30 day challenge. It took 25mins focusing on mobility for hips, hammers and adductors and then 3x balance exercises. It wasn't exactly easy.

Overall a good week considering the no running start. Happy to be running again. Now onto the plan. I'll go back to last week and redo it.

Summary
    4hrs rowing and 30m
    3.5hrs running and 27m
    2hrs Yoga/S&C/Mobility

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Why run 16 miles at that pace coming off a week down time with a niggle?

Doesn’t make sense to me really, 16 miles at easy pace to see how the hip/glute held up would have made more sense to me. Great run & not knocking you one bit but wondering the thought process behind it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

A few hours later I did Day 1 of the Kinetic 30 day challenge. It took 25mins focusing on mobility for hips, hammers and adductors and then 3x balance exercises. It wasn't exactly easy.

Such a copycat :)

OOnegative wrote: »
    Why run 16 miles at that pace coming off a week down time with a niggle?

Doesn’t make sense to me really, 16 miles at easy pace to see how the hip/glute held up would have made more sense to me. Great run & not knocking you one bit but wondering the thought process behind it?

The niggle was always at me for the first few steps then I'd push it away. Then it was hurting post run and I'd ignore it. This week the rowing and mat work hit the spot. Test was how it would feel this morning after running yesterday with strides. It felt fine. Took mile 1 easy today and no warning sign so pushed on to the planned effort. Only used hr to keep a lid on it. As per the log I felt good to 12m but should have run easy from there. I gained little struggling on. I'll monitor daily and keep the daily mat work up plus use hr to control. Thanks for checking in!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Such a copycat :)

Lol I was getting bored of my own routine. May not do it all but this mobility week is exactly what I need right now. Mad on the hamstring reps how much more I could stretch them after 20 reps. The alphabet balance exercise was tough after the first two balance ones.

The niggle was always at me for the first few steps then I'd push it away. Then it was hurting post run and I'd ignore it. This week the rowing and mat work hit the spot. Test was how it would feel this morning after running yesterday with strides. It felt fine. Took mile 1 easy today and no warning sign so pushed on to the planned effort. Only used hr to keep a lid on it. As per the log I felt good to 12m but should have run easy from there. I gained little struggling on. I'll monitor daily and keep the daily mat work up plus use hr to control. Thanks for checking in!

As I said not having a pop, you seem to be nursing it since Limerick as Kate pointed out previously. As a man who tried running through a hip issue, not worth it. Strength & band exercises were a must for my issue.

Don’t jeopardize your main yearly goal by being stubborn.

OOnegative wrote: »
    As I said not having a pop, you seem to be nursing it since Limerick as Kate pointed out previously. As a man who tried running through a hip issue, not worth it. Strength & band exercises were a must for my issue.

Don’t jeopardize your main yearly goal by being stubborn.

Pop away lol I ran through it long enough and Kate called me out. I was nearly there so her feedback was timely. I did take 7 full days off running. I appreciate the interest honestly. It's what makes this community great plus I'm delighted you are still around. I enjoyed your log immensely like the rest.

As for main yearly goal. I already hit it ;-) Anything else is gravy baby! Half Marathon might fall if I can stay in one piece

• Advertisement

Pop away lol I ran through it long enough and Kate called me out. I was nearly there so her feedback was timely. I did take 7 full days off running. I appreciate the interest honestly. It's what makes this community great plus I'm delighted you are still around. I enjoyed your log immensely like the rest.

As for main yearly goal. I already hit it ;-) Anything else is gravy baby! Half Marathon might fall if I can stay in one piece

Race you to a HM PB if I can stay in one piece to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Lol I was getting bored of my own routine. May not do it all but this mobility week is exactly what I need right now. Mad on the hamstring reps how much more I could stretch them after 20 reps. The alphabet balance exercise was tough after the first two balance ones.

You're only supposed to do one balance exercise per day. It's in the instructions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Back to back 10/16 mile runs in week 2, after a short injury break?

Would you consider that this 'Hanson Upgraded' risks deviating so far from the schedule that it no longer applies the principles or the method? I know you're not starting from nothing, but if you want to peak in October, should you not step back now, not pile on? The hip/niggle issue makes this even more important.

There's no escaping you guys n gals :D

V - I printed it off to remind me. It goes to 2x balance drills day 5 and 3x on day 6. Now, having printed it off and reading the 30 days, what have I signed up to.. :eek:

B - Race me? Or yourself? Or you are doing Charleville too? Or you just meant your HM is due an update soon? :pac:

D - You make a good point, as always and thank you. The 10/16 was on schedule and its week 4 of the 20 week schedule . In the context of the short injury break I should have at least run the LR easier :rolleyes: I did a 12m and 13m LR in weeks 1 and 2 and missed a 15m last week. Even if fresh the 16m was a jump. I felt it afterwards. In terms of the method. Its still 6 days and follows the same SOS format. I fully expect to be balancing the cumulative fatigue even sooner this time around. I'm acutely tuned into the hip/glute now and the mat and band are priority.

I’ll see how much improvement mine needs after you run Charleville!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry (maybe missed this), but where is this 20-week version coming from?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sorry (maybe missed this), but where is this 20-week version coming from?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18X0gYbYObfeBX1Vufk66Zk1sSd-DILnb/view?usp=drivesdk thanks to AMK

Monday 8 July
    Plan
    : 10m Easy
    Actual: 1hr17 Yoga, mobility & balance

I missed the morning opportunity, busy in work and Caz had her own class after work. Youngest not well so no run today. Very late breathy stretchy hatha yoga with Adriene 49mins and day 2 of the Kinetic 30 day challenge 28mins. Struggled a bit to concentrate on the balance drill. Just sleepy is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Just sleepy is all.

How is your sleep these days? It's funny you mention it as I've literally just read this tweet from Brad Stulberg:
    "Just a reminder that if you are worried about any kind of performance "hack" and are not sleeping at least 7.5 hours a night you should probably stop worrying and go to sleep."

Tuesday 9 July
    Plan
    : 12x400m Intervals
    Actual: 1hr00 Yoga, mobility & balance

Sigh... missed my morning window to run again. Caz out this evening so just Day 2 of Yoga with Adriene Dedicate 30 day yoga journey and Day 3 of the Kinetic 30 day challenge. Better on the balance this time. I wanted to run. My legs feel good. Small lower hamstring niggle behind the left knee but the hips and quads feel good from the S&C. I have a much quieter day tomorrow so the session will get done!

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »
    How is your sleep these days? It's funny you mention it as I've literally just read this tweet from Brad Stulberg:
    "Just a reminder that if you are worried about any kind of performance "hack" and are not sleeping at least 7.5 hours a night you should probably stop worrying and go to sleep."

Not wonderful. Starting a new job in a few weeks so super busy with handover stuff at work. Kids sweating and waking during the night so in and out of their room. I rarely get 7.5hrs unless I'm in bed before 10pm. A few rare nights of late night Netflix recently has caught up with us. At least once a week I crash at about 8pm straight after the kids are down and sleep through to the morning. It's all just organisation. Get run done in the morning. Get family fed, kids to bed, jobs done, lunches made, gear ready in time to catch the news at 9. Then hit the sack and read a few pages of an actual book or the paper. Brexit a sleepy enough topic to send me off! It takes the whole week to get through the Sunday Times

When I get a chance to nap I take it. I'd sleep anywhere. Lucky that I can drop off quickly. I probably average 6.5hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Fair play for getting the running in with all of that. Sometimes we forget just how much a lot of people have to deal with in real life while at the same time keeping the running ship going.

On the late night TV series I recommend less Netflix and more chill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

It's tough when the kids are young, but it does get easier!

Wednesday 10 July
    Plan:
    Day Off
    Actual: 3m Easy, 12x400m, 3m Easy, 12.01m total, time 1:30:21

A session :D Moved forward from yesterday but the extra days off and mobility sessions made a difference. I felt great! I missed the rain but it was oh so humid. I did 25 mins of Mobility (Day 4/30) and after the warm up into town admiring an Aston Martin stuck in traffic, I got into the reps along the Condell Road. The first 2 reps were laboured. It was the first outing for the NB 1500v5s and while the fit was good, the paths were greasy and there was a little slipping. I thought it was going to be an uphill battle.

I really noticed the difference when I hit a dry patch and suddenly more grip and the shoes took off. Easily the best I have felt on a run since before the marathon. Bouncing off the road. The 400m jogging recoveries felt generous until the last 2 reps where I worked hard into a slight breeze. Next time I do this session the recovery will be halved so that should be interesting.

I fell into step with a lad on the cool down back home and we chatted. He is training for 4hrs for DCM and we were running along at 8:10 pace chatting, hmmm :rolleyes: When I got home I actually felt good and despite a bit of fatigue and a grumbling belly, no body parts were giving out , for once :D

Earlier this morning pre breakfast I did 57mins Yoga covering Day 3 and 4 of Adriene's Dedicate journey. Its now in sync with the Kinetic challenge. I'll press on with both as something is working. I noticed on my usual leg swings outside the door before I ran that my hamstrings were looser and the first mile subsequently was not awful.

12x400m w/400m recovery
    Target rep pace 5:52
    rep#|rep time|avg pace
    1|1:28|5:54
    2|1:29|5:58
    3|1:27|5:50
    4|1:27|5:50
    5|1:27|5:50
    6|1:27|5:50
    7|1:27|5:50
    8|1:26|5:46
    9|1:25|5:42
    10|1:28|5:54
    11|1:25|5:42
    12|1:28|5:54

Nice consistency on those reps!

I'm gonna assume you ran the pedestrian path (can be very slippy). I have to guiltily admit I use the bike path off the road when I'm running Condell.

Nice consistency on those reps!

I'm gonna assume you ran the pedestrian path (can be very slippy). I have to guiltily admit I use the bike path off the road when I'm running Condell.

Yep. Slippy where its covered by trees. Ok I get if its wet but why use the road instead of the path?

Yep. Slippy where its covered by trees. Ok I get if its wet but why use the road instead of the path?

I came across a group of unsavouries there before and tend to stick to the road.

Thursday 11 July
    Plan:
    8m Easy
    Actual: 8.64m @8:49, hr 128, time 1:16:06

I did Day 5 of the Kinetic Mobility Challenge at 0530. It included 2x balance drills. Standing on one leg first thing in the morning with your eyes closed is not easy.

Out the door at 6 for the usual leg swings and lunges. The first mile in miserable drizzle was slow and sleepy. All the body aches and niggles were present and the legs felt reluctant. I had the 2fm breakfast show on and by mile 3 I was laughing out loud at bits. Brought some positive energy to the run. It was one of those runs where I was in my mind. I had only heart rate on the watch to keep it under 130 and sort of lost track of distance. It was only with a mile to go did I realize where I was and it was only a mile to go. The rain had stopped and my legs felt better.

Straight onto the mat for 30 mins Yoga (Dedicate Day 5) which was perfect to stretch tight calves and bring my mind back to the present.

Friday 12 July
    Plan
    : 8m Easy
    Actual: 55min Yoga, mobility & balance

Sigh... yet another missed run. I'm doing something everyday just not running as the plan. Been waking up at 2-3AM every night this week. Mind turning over. I was on the mat for 5AM for Day 6 of the Yoga journey and Day 6 of the Kinetic journey. Core focus so it was sweaty. Then the last 4 mins were lying still and I very nearly drifted off. Back to bed and slept through the usual morning madness. Woke up just in time to hug my kids heading out the door. The work day then crawled away from me. I'd be flogging a dead horse if I ran late this evening so I'll opt for a rare glass of wine and chill. Caz working in the morning so need to get up and out first thing.

Obviously stressing about enough. I've made a deal with myself. Life is life. Work will wind down next week and Zoe just gave me the world's best hug!

• Advertisement

Saturday 12 July
    Plan:
    10m Steady inc 6x30sec builds
    Actual: 10.39m@7:24 inc 6x30sec builds

What a gorgeous sunny evening to be running! Let the Thursday Tempo go finally. I'll carefully reorganize but won't chase sessions. The first mile was easy but just 5 minutes into it I had to step off a curb to avoid a gang of Spanish students and went over on my left ankle. It hurt and I cursed everything :mad: I walked a bit and loosened it out. Thankfully just a little stiff. I pressed on to a steady aerobic effort from mile 2 and felt so good. It felt like a sweet spot just below MP and while the heart rate climbed on hills (it was still pretty warm) I kept a lid on it.

The 30 sec builds were a longer gradual acceleration to stride out the last 10 secs. Finished feeling good. Guzzled a pint of electrolytes and pulled out the mat.

Day 7 of the Challenge and Yoga Dedicate journey
    15 mins S&C
    Split squat 2x10 reps each leg
    Raised hip thrusts 3x10 reps
    Single leg deadlifts 2x10 reps each leg
    2x24 mountain climbers

17 mins Yoga
    Shurya - Easy but quick postural changes keeping a good stretch engaged.Nice end to the overall session.

Advertisement