Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Monday 17 June
    Plan: 8m Easy
    Actual: Day Off - Hip was at me and work busy

Tuesday 18 June
    Plan: 10m Easy with strides
    Actual: 8.55m Easy @8:11 - Didn't want to push strides yet

Wednesday 19 June
    Plan: Day Off
    Actual: Day Off - I'll start to appreciate these more and more as the plan evolves :)

Thursday 20 June
    Plan: 10m with 4m Tempo
    Actual: 10.45m with 4m Tempo

Beautiful dawn. Crisp and calm. Got this in before the rain came. I didn't know if I'd do the tempo but the hip felt fine. Got the cadence up to 170 on a longer warm up and then got stuck in after the Raheen Church on the way up to Patrickswell. 6:32 first mile and the lungs were open after the first little drag. Mile 2 had a longer hill but I attacked it for a 6:26. Much of mile 3 was back down the hill and flat so I actually cruised to 6:20. The 4th mile had a steeper hill and again I attacked it, breathing hard but maintaining the effort after it for a 6:18. With the work done I got my heart rate down over the next mile to run home easy. Breakfast earned! Shredded Wheat with granola and fresh berries, avocado and cheesy scrambled eggs on brown bread, OJ, Coffee and a pint of electrolytes :)

Tempo Miles
    6:32, 6:26, 6:20, 6:18

Just one session on the plan this week and it was a good one.

Friday 21 June
    Actual: 5m Easy

Short on time today. I didn't get it done this morning so jogged very easy around the quays between meetings. The Boston 7s arrived today but I didn't have time to fix the laces for this one. No way I could wear them out of the box as I have to widen all the laces. I was worried trying them on they were too narrow despite going a half size up but after loosening the laces seem ok. I'll take them for an easy one in the morning. The run itself was a shuffle in on a muggy afternoon. Its supposed to get very humid next week.

Saturday 22 June
    Plan: 8m Steady
    Actual: 8.17m Steady @7:11, hr 154

First run in the Boston 7s and wow they make my NB 880v8s 2E look and feel like buckets. Light and responsive. I kept up a solid steady pace and felt I held better form for longer. They felt better than my first run in the Nike Pegasus 35s but perhaps I didn't loosen the lace enough on those then. Good run on a cool evening pushing the last mile up town in 6:47.

Sunday 23 June
    Plan: Easy LR 15m
    Actual: Easy LR 13.61m, hr 143, time 1:47:32

I'm not ready yet for 2 hours running and was not really in the mood for this. It was raining all day and Sunday evening is my least favourite time to run. I figured an hour or so would be better than nothing. Grey, muggy and after half an hour the soft incessant rain returned to soak me. Managed to keep up a 174 cadence for an hour than just fell back off my toes into a wind and struggled to keep it up. I upgraded the target to 90 mins and then again to 13m with the last 2m steady. When I finished it felt worse to walk than it did to run. Legs tight all over, still adapting.

Overall 46m again for the week, short of the target but not awful. I need to keep tomorrow easy easy.

Monday 24 June
    Actual: 9.37m Easy @8:23, hr 144, time 1:18:32

The body was reluctant. Stiff everywhere, legs, core and even my shoulders. A long lap of the town was a bit longer than planned but felt like a marathon in the warm muggy conditions. At 6m I lost my breathing rhythm and shallow breaths raised my heart rate. It was pleasant in spots of shade as I plodded around the city landmarks. Needed the inhaler and a cold shower when I got back. 440m on the NB 880v8s, probably time to circulate in another easy/general miles shoe. Its only supposed to get warmer and more humid this week so mornings may be marginally better (still forecast to be 18 degrees at dawn).

Tuesday 25 June
    Plan: 10m Easy with strides
    Actual: 10.43m @7:44 inc 8x20sec strides, hr 150

What a gorgeous sunny balmy evening it was for a run. It was to be the last run for the Nike Pegasus 35s. Short life at just 289m over 23 runs. Poor bang for buck. I did get the sub 3 in them at a cost to some toenails. Managed to maintain a 172 cadence for an hour on an undulating route that ducked in and out of shade. The first 10mins felt awful but I actually felt good from there.

Elevated hr again in the heat. On the last mile I did the strides but hit them much too hard (4:20-4:40 pace) instead of focusing on good form. The intensity seemed to wake the legs up though and they feel better now than they have in a while.

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Would you try overnight oats to avoid the heat of porridge in the summer?!

Hey V - Thank you again for this! My kids LOVE the overnight oats :D

Oats, Greek yoghurt, berries, a spoonful of strawberry jam and topped up with lots of coconut milk. Left overnight...

Then in the morning we sprinkle banana, seeds and granola on top... NOM! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hey V - Thank you again for this! My kids LOVE the overnight oats

I may not know much about running but I sure know plenty about food :D

Thursday 27 June
    Actual: 10.31m with 4m tempo, hr 146-177, time 1:14:49

2:30am - too warm, mind turning over, doze
    3:30am - still not asleep, mind turning over, count sheep
    4:30am - still not asleep, get up, ninja down the stairs, coffee and slice of toast
    5:30am - sitting on couch looking at runners yawning, don't want to run, sleepy
    5:50am - Won mental battle round one, shoes on, out the door
    6:10am - <2m done, stopped, everything ached, turned back for home, no keep going, no back for home, no keep going, no... 5mins of 20 metre shuttle runs and why the hell did I wear a singlet, it was chilly! :rolleyes:
    6:15am - Won mental battle round 2, gave out to myself and got on with it :cool:

Really struggled with motivation this morning, I was out of sorts. To boot, my hammers were tight, left hip sore and blisters still fresh from the last Pegasus 35 run on Tuesday. Thought since I was out I'd reduce it to a few easy miles, better than nothing right? It would be too warm later and anyway I have stuff to do for my dear mum this evening.

The next mile brought me into the Industrial Estate and 2 steady miles before the work. The Boston 7s felt better on steady. Needed a bush before the work. Why did I drink coffee? :rolleyes:

Into the work in anger, like last week, only I wasn't wearing a stupid singlet then. First mile 6:16 was nippy but I had a slight breeze behind me and it was generally downhill. I swore to attack every hill I meet on this plan (sessions only, easy will stay easy). and did just that on the long drag up to Patrickswell for mile 2 in 6:15. Touched the red zone but knew I would be turning around and coming back down that hill straight away. The Boston 7s were liking the Tempo even more than steady.

Started back down the hill but needed a bush again, seriously. Had to stop a couple more times before I got home, bowels not happy this morning. Mile 3 was 6:09, too fast but felt good. Mile 4 was mostly uphill and into a breeze. It hurt like the second last mile of a 10k. All of it was at the top of Zone 4 and dipped into Zone 5 at the end, proper work but a 6:12 :eek: The whole piece under 6:20 pace, I'll take that from where I was at mile 2 and a 6am! If I could hold that for 13 miles in September it would bag a lifetime half marathon PB.

Tempo Miles
    6:16, 6:15, 6:09, 6:12

The 2m "cool down" felt awful. Hips and hammers in bits, parched, Boston 7s not happy about falling back to the heels but it was warm and glad I wore the singlet :pac: Really fought demons to get this one done this morning but what a way to start the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

You're mad! Haha

I saw the HR on Strava but wanted to see the log update first as I thought it didn't look like tempo effort. But context is important given the mental (and bowel) state this morning. Haha

Thank Crunchy its Friday! 28 June
    Actual: 8.18m Easy, hr 141

Much less dramatic run today. Straight out and back country roads in new shoes. Switching over to Adidas as I wore them a lot years ago and remember loving the Supernova Sequence particularly. I got the Boston 7s first 2 weeks ago as switching brand you need to check sizing. I learned my lesson with Nike. Anyway knowing I needed to size up for Adidas, a pair of Solar Glide arrived yesterday and got their first run today. Swashbuckler had kindly offered to try his pair weeks ago but I was wary of sizing after the Nikes and apparently you had to size up in Adidas. Of the few different shoes I've got since I started back running, these fit the best out of the box. I got them for easy miles. A pair of NB 1500v5 arrived today too and they are nice. Might get a spin on some reps next week.

Overall the run was meh, like the grey, muggy weather. My left leg is in a jock. Sometimes ok but then the hip and outside of the quad hurt when walking. The first few steps of a run hurt but then once I get running its fine. Strange but need to go back to the physio after I do a few days of rolling and exercises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry that I haven’t been keeping up, but why the 4m tempo? Haven’t seen that version of the plan, or are you just adding it (and if so, why)?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sorry that I haven’t been keeping up, but why the 4m tempo? Haven’t seen that version of the plan, or are you just adding it (and if so, why)?

Just adding

Im doing a hybrid of the advanced and 60-80mpw plan.
    Tuesday changes
    Adv plan = 9x speed and 7x strength sessions
    60-80 plan = 6x speed and 6x strength but mixed up the weeks including a 10x400 on race week!
    Hybrid = staying with Adv plan but 8x speed block and 8x strength block.

Thursday changes
    Adv = 6,6,6,7,7,7,8,8,8,9,9,9,10,10,10 = 120m total MP
    60-80 =5,6,8,8,8,8,8,10,10,10,10,10 = 101m MP plus 3x progression runs and there is 30m MP within 5 of the LRs so total of approx 140m MP miles
    Hybrid = 4,4,6,6,8,8,8,8,8,race,10,10,10,10 = 100m MP plus the 30m MP in LRs plus Charleville.

The overall mileage of the plan is increasing by about 20% but mostly easy to steady miles.

More frequent LRs and some with MP stuff in them

Same 6 day 6 runs pattern
    I'm going to focus the tempos on Charleville if I can. Then do the longer 10m tempos at MP leading up to DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

This plan seems to suit lots of the posters on the thread. I'm not convinced it's for everyone. Has Luke H or the brothers ever addressed why they use distance rather than time? I don't understand why some peoples tempos should be so much longer than other's when it's asking more tempo running from slower runners than faster.

Just adding

Im doing a hybrid of the advanced and 60-80mpw plan.
    Tuesday changes
    Adv plan = 9x speed and 7x strength sessions
    60-80 plan = 6x speed and 6x strength but mixed up the weeks including a 10x400 on race week!
    Hybrid = staying with Adv plan but 8x speed block and 8x strength block.

Thursday changes
    Adv = 6,6,6,7,7,7,8,8,8,9,9,9,10,10,10 = 120m total MP
    60-80 =5,6,8,8,8,8,8,10,10,10,10,10 = 101m MP plus 3x progression runs and there is 30m MP within 5 of the LRs so total of approx 140m MP miles
    Hybrid = 4,4,6,6,8,8,8,8,8,race,10,10,10,10 = 100m MP plus the 30m MP in LRs plus Charleville.

The overall mileage of the plan is increasing by about 20% but mostly easy to steady miles.

More frequent LRs and some with MP stuff in them

Same 6 day 6 runs pattern
    I'm going to focus the tempos on Charleville if I can. Then do the longer 10m tempos at MP leading up to DCM

Fair enough - are you sure you need this level of adjustment/complication though? I’ve always liked the ‘keep it simple’ rule, especially when applied to a method that’s difficult enough to execute to begin with (if simple enough looking in design).

Either way, all the best with it, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    This plan seems to suit lots of the posters on the thread. I'm not convinced it's for everyone. Has Luke H or the brothers ever addressed why they use distance rather than time? I don't understand why some peoples tempos should be so much longer than other's when it's asking more tempo running from slower runners than faster.

Tempo is MP, though? So the longest MP run is 10 miles and it’s an advanced plan. The longest MP run in the Boards novices thread is only a small bit shorter at 9 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I don't understand why some peoples tempos should be so much longer than other's when it's asking more tempo running from slower runners than faster.

In the Hanson method the tempo run is a pace run (whether that's marathon or half marathon pace). The distance gradually increases but you keep the pace the same. A fast or slow runner still has to cover 26.2 on the day regardless of pace.

Having said that I think I prefer plans that have runs by time rather than distance!

I agree with S. I don't particularly get it either. Someone who's tempo pace is 8min/mile will spend 48mins at tempo for a 6miler compared to someone who's tempo pace is 6min/mile who will spend 36mins. So the slower runner is being asked to work harder? In my mind it should be the other way around.

I agree with S. I don't particularly get it either. Someone who's tempo pace is 8min/mile will spend 48mins at tempo for a 6miler compared to someone who's tempo pace is 6min/mile who will spend 36mins. So the slower runner is being asked to work harder? In my mind it should be the other way around.

Well technically, MP ('tempo' for Hanson) should be the same level of effort for everyone, though, and it is a marathon plan after all. I think one of the plan's strengths is the amount of race pace running it contains. Don't slower runners have to become accustomed to keeping up relatively equal effort levels for longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sorry for posting my comment here. It was meant for the Hanson thread but I mixed up this thread and that one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hey V - Thank you again for this! My kids LOVE the overnight oats :D

Oats, Greek yoghurt, berries, a spoonful of strawberry jam and topped up with lots of coconut milk. Left overnight...

Then in the morning we sprinkle banana, seeds and granola on top... NOM! :D

Thanks to yourself and V for this... I've only used regular milk so far but it's top notch!

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote:
    Well technically, MP ('tempo' for Hanson) should be the same level of effort for everyone, though, and it is a marathon plan after all. I think one of the plan's strengths is the amount of race pace running it contains. Don't slower runners have to become accustomed to keeping up relatively equal effort levels for longer?

Same as skyblue I didn't realise I was posting in the training log. That being said it would make more sense to be if it was 40mins tempo for example rather than in miles. Not saying it's wrong. I just don't understand it

Fair enough - are you sure you need this level of adjustment/complication though? I’ve always liked the ‘keep it simple’ rule, especially when applied to a method that’s difficult enough to execute to begin with (if simple enough looking in design).

Either way, all the best with it, again.
    I get you. The advanced plan is simple but tough, why complicate. I'm keeping the same format. Tuesday basically the same, Thursdays I found up to 7m Tempo very doable at MP then 8-10m was pretty tough later in the plan. Adv plan has 9 weeks on 8-10m and I still have 9 weeks at 8-10m. I brought the 4m Tempo into the 2 introductory weeks as the base is there from the recent GLR cycle and I didn't want the 12x400m to be the first bit of intensity. I'll keep the LRs flexible and play by feel as the first few weeks Tempos will have a bit more spice to get closer to HMP.

And Kipcheoge would have his 6m MP done in about 26mins. It's all relative. The slower runner is being asked to work as hard for longer at their own MP. Time is arbitrary. I think time reps are good for segments within a M or HM focused LR though. Like 4x15min, 3x20min etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Huzzah! wrote: »

Tempo is MP, though? So the longest MP run is 10 miles and it’s an advanced plan. The longest MP run in the Boards novices thread is only a small bit shorter at 9 miles.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    In the Hanson method the tempo run is a pace run (whether that's marathon or half marathon pace). The distance gradually increases but you keep the pace the same. A fast or slow runner still has to cover 26.2 on the day regardless of pace.

Having said that I think I prefer plans that have runs by time rather than distance!
    Same as skyblue I didn't realise I was posting in the training log. That being said it would make more sense to be if it was 40mins tempo for example rather than in miles. Not saying it's wrong. I just don't understand it
    And Kipcheoge would have his 6m MP done in about 26mins. It's all relative. The slower runner is being asked to work as hard for longer at their own MP. Time is arbitrary. I think time reps are good for segments within a M or HM focused LR though. Like 4x15min, 3x20min etc...

An interesting topic within the thread

FWIW I can see where Skyblue and Swashbuckler are coming from with regards the basis on time. If it was prescribed as HM effort I would agree that it is overkill and probably working too hard however if it was MP then anything up to about 75 minutes I reckon would be hard without crossing that threshold off too hard to adequately recover from within the structure of the overall week.

Having said that I do think it brings up a good point regarding time based effort.I would say that it is not all relative (MP being MP no matter what the level) a slower runner working for longer would have to take that into account for cardiac drift so might be a couple of seconds slower that true MP to be working at the right level however if a slower runner doesn't have the same aerobic base (i.e they are novice as opposed to slower capabilities) then there Aerobic Threshold might out weight endurance so that there is minimal cardiac drift as the legs give out before the aerobic fitness however these athletes would have to take bio-mechanical fatigue and risk of overuse injuries into account.

Likewise 6 miles at MP for Kipchoge would be a poor session as would provide little to no stimulus (which is why you see him run 40km Tempos but scale back marathon pace to what is viewed as slightly steadier pace) He effectively is running a 2hr 10 tempo due to having the aerobic base to support the effort but running at a pace which means that effort wise he is probably only creeping into the Aet area for the last 1hr so effectively running similar enough equivalent at a higher level that what many of us would run 8-10 miles at MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Friday 10 May
    Recovery 4.87m @9:10

The body in general was ok but the left quad and hip flexor that went through all the pain are still a little tender. .

Sunday 12 May
    Row 10,000m in 44:02
    Recovery 5.5m @9:02, hr 133, time 49:39
    Core & Flexibility 30mins

Tight spots on my left hip and right lower calf.
    Subday 19 May
    Easy 8.14m @7:56, hr 134

I felt great aerobically but a bit of a dead left leg made an awkward stride.
    Wednesday 22 May
    10.66m as 3m wu,

Left quad still dead. figured a shake out might loosen the quad. It didn't.

On the body. Lungs fine, right leg fine, left leg not fine. Just an annoying sore spot on the outside of the quad.
    Thursday 30 May
    Fasted Run 4/8
    8.56m @8:30, hr 133, time 1:12:45

The first couple of miles were stiff and creaky. Niggles are still niggles.
    Friday 31 May
    Fasted Run 5/8
    8.57m Easy @8:10, hr 138, time 1:09:56

Hmmm ropey.
    I stopped running after the last update. The body was giving me signs that I was pushing it. Work too was taking its toll so I had to back off. Plus my hip was not improving.

The hip is annoying though. I've taken a few complete rest days and it feels worse than when I was running!
    Weekly roundup
    June
    3-9

Thursday: Hip sore at slow paces.

Saturday: Felt good on the run but hip sore later in the evening carrying a tired little boy.

Sunday: However the hip was in a jock. Hobbled through the first 2m hoping it would loosen but it was sore even after a good stretch. Turned and hobbled back to the hotel. Physio booked for Wednesday so hope he finds the trigger point as I want to build the miles up to the start of the plan.
    Tuesday 11 June
    8.1m as 2m Easy, 5m Progression, 1m Easy, HR 139-168
    My hip was a bit sore later walking through airports though

Wednesday 12 June
    Physio - Dry Needling the Glute Med - Ouch! He prescribed Glute strengthening exercises so I need to get the S&C going regularly. Advised 2 days off too as it would be tender.

Thursday 13 June
    Day off on Physio's orders. Needed it as it was achy

Friday 14 June
    Steady 7.53m @7:34 in the pouring rain!

The hip/Glute felt ok, still a little tender but better. y.
    Saturday 15 June
    8.73m Easy AB @8:18 No significant effort in this run but I felt wrecked afterwards.

Sunday 16 June
    Happy Fathers Day to all the early morning Daddy runners!

12.37m LR with some progression with my buddy Niall
    As we ran easy back up town my hips and glutes were pretty tight as they were yesterday.
    Monday 17 June
    Actual: Day Off - Hip was at me and work busy
    Thursday 27 June
    Actual: 10.31m with 4m tempo, hr 146-177, time 1:14:49

hammers were tight, left hip sore

Hips and hammers in bits,
    Thank Crunchy its Friday! 28 June
    Actual: 8.18m Easy, hr 141

My left leg is in a jock. Sometimes ok but then the hip and outside of the quad hurt when walking.

I don't want to be a killjoy but do you think this left hip/quad/leg thing is something that needs to be sorted?

Cheers Kate. You are right. It's been at me since the marathon. Suppose I'm just used to the pain and pushing through it.

So this week, reluctantly, no running. Yoga, strength exercises and then maybe rowing. Needs to not hurt walking first, then very easy running. If it's the same after a week of no running, back to the physio cause I'm not buying the weak glutes line again!

Monday 1 July
    Plan: 10m Easy
    Actual: 16km Easy Row, hr 124, time 1:10:57

Similar aerobic replacement for a 10 mile easy run, 10 miles indoor rowing. With no impact the hip was fine on the Concept 2. A lot more boring and sweaty than running though. Zoe arrived down around 7am to play with dolls beside me asking me questions now and then. It made 20 of the last 30 minutes more interesting. I didn't have time to stretch and do the strength exercises so I'll get those done later. Very easy effort capped at 140 heart rate.

Tuesday 2 July Its life Jim but not as we know it
    Plan: 3m Easy, 12x400m Reps, 3m Easy
    Actual: 5k Easy, 12x400m Reps, 5k Easy, total 17,385m, 1:19:45

No running this week or at least until the hip feel ready to run. I looked at the plan and thought hmmm how about an indoor rowing version? The pace on the erg is not far off running. It took 22 minutes to do the 5k easy warm up, then the reps

12x400m off 90 sec target 84 secs

1. 83.9 hr 159
    2. 82.9 hr 161
    3. 82.7 hr 164
    4. 82.5 hr 168
    5. 82.1 hr 171
    6. 82.0 hr 174
    7. 82.4 hr 175
    8. 82.8 hr 176
    9. 81.9 hr 176
    10. 83.3 hr 176
    11. 81.7 hr 177
    12. 82.4 hr 179

I hit a max of 180hr but I was over 170 after 4 reps. By rep 6 I was hitting the red zone. By rep 8 I was suffering and growling or shouting at the flywheel. The last few reps I was literally hanging on for dear life. It has been a long long time since I've done reps on the erg and this was no joke. The reps were roughly the same as they would have been running less a few seconds but this was really really tough. No impact though so nothing on the hip. It was fine. The 5k easy "cool down" was a sweaty mess but the body was happy to be aerobic again washing out the lactate accumulation. Wrecked afterwards. Necked a shake, had a shower and did 20 mins on the mat with a band. It wasn't running but it was similar enough quality of a session as planned.

The recovery shake if anyone interested. Lob the following into your nutri bullet or blender
    1 frozen banana (always keep one peeled cut into thick slices in the freezer)
    1 tbsp of hemp protein powder
    1.5 tbsp of raw cacao powder
    2-3 heaped tbsp of greek yogurt
    1 tbsp almond or peanut butter
    1/4 tsp of cinnamon
    Top it all up with coconut or almond milk
    Blend and drink immediately

Wednesday 3 July
    Plan: Day Off
    Actual: 45 mins Yoga

I slept the sleep of the dead after that rowing session last night. Woke up at 6 fresh as you like. The wifi was acting up so instead of the TV I had Yoga with Adriene on a little phone screen at the end of my Manduka Yoga mat. About time I started to use it.

Good early morning stretchy routine that got the hip flexors, calves and core working. I have zero issue with the quad or hip on the rower or mat so its specifically running orientated. Got it done just as the kids got up so didn't have Evan delighted to see me in a plank or down dog so he could drive a noisy truck over like a bridge :pac:

The sun is shining today and I'm mad to go for a run. 3 new pairs of shoes in front on me going out the door. I jogged a few steps between the car and work but the niggle is still there, though not as bad. Day 5 of no running.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Hang in there mate. You're a great example to anyone who is nursing a niggle or two :)

Advertisement