Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House for life for 55 euro a week.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kneemos wrote: »
    Who the **** built those? You can literally see what they're having for dinner.

And wearing to bed.

You have heard of blinds and curtains right? Fairly standard fare in almost every house in this country :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

begbysback wrote: »
    No scrounger here, pay a mortgage on a nice home, have a good job, third level education, money on the bank - I've been on welfare, and come from a working class background in a rough neighbourhood where social housing is the norm - I've seen how the majority of people in social housing live, little or no work, some can't even read or write, jails addiction and illnesses are common, medication for anxiety is rampant.

You can oversimplify it to "55 a week housing for the rest of your life" and get a good hate on, but remember, it's a package deal - and I wouldn't begrudge them or wish it on anyone.

happy xmas

It’s not even Christmas ffs.its the first of November.just a normal p1ss ant day.
    On away with your happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Unfortunately we have a country where being lazy and refusing to get off your arse and get a job results in free houses and hand outs for everything. You can blame fianna fail and fine gael for this.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

lawred2 wrote: »
    You have heard of blinds and curtains right? Fairly standard fare in almost every house in this country :confused:

Dermot Bannon effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

lawred2 wrote: »

Dermot Bannon effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Unfortunately we have a country where being lazy and refusing to get off your arse and get a job results in free houses and hand outs for everything. You can blame fianna fail and fine gael for this.

We are nearly at full employment by all objective measures.....

You still wanna blame FF and FG for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I would rather a larger emphasis is put on affordable houses as opposed to social housing

I've seen how the majority of people in social housing live, little or no work, some can't even read or write, jails addiction and illnesses are common, medication for anxiety is rampant.

It must be a really, really bad estate if that's the 'majority'? In my local council estate the people were just poorer and less educated, and there were definitely more broken homes there at a time when that wasn't really spoken about. Most people worked at some menial job, though, and there was far less emigration from that estate in the 80s compared to from everywhere else. It was also really the only place where the local soccer team came from. Smoking and drinking was much more common, and playing pool in the bar. And parents there went to the pub, which was no-no for most parents from other areas. That was about the extent of the socio-economic difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Why are we all working and paying mortgages?

https://www.fm104.ie/news/housing-agency-in-homes-plegde/

Homes for life for 55 euro a week and these people’s kids get the same??

Listen to the audio it’s only 19 seconds long.

Don't forget that they won't be turfed out if they don't actually pay it - the rent is, in effect, an optional payment. And as the council arrears figures show, many, many people are not paying - in Dublin a majority of council houses are in rent arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

naughtb4 wrote:
    I would rather a larger emphasis is put on affordable houses as opposed to social housing

What if people still can't afford affordable housing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

PapaOscar wrote: »
    Its not though, most of these poxbottles will never get to step foot out of Ireland. I cant imagine not having a couple of holidays a year or having money there to do whatever with..

I can quite easily imagine it - I've been doing it for quite a while - ever since I bought a house in fact.
    Now if that house was costing me 50quid a week and only ever would cost that, I would certainly consider summering in the Algarve and wintering in Lanzarote.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Don't forget that they won't be turfed out if they don't actually pay it - the rent is, in effect, an optional payment. And as the council arrears figures show, many, many people are not paying - in Dublin a majority of council houses are in rent arrears.

They’re not paying rent to the council. Tenants are paying rent to the housing organisation which actually owns the properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Did you listen to the audio?

Those houses were built and are owned by the Respond organisation. They can do what the fcuk they like with them, including taking €55 a week in rent.

Respond are funded by the County Councils as are Cluid the other housing agency who is snapping up €500,000 houses and charging rent similar to the above. Being given a €500,000 having never paid tax is akin to winning the lottery as most working people would have to pay tax on their earnings and high interest rates to buy a house of that value. Also if you get a Respond or Cluid house you do not have to pay the property tax nor the management company fees.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Then they should go the pond rat route and apply for every “entitlement” going, stop going to work,start making regular court appearances on free legal aid,breed like rabbits,stay in bed all day scratching and watching Jeremy Kyle,and if all that fails go on the sick with a bad back or else “the addiction” and hound doctors for prescription drugs for you’re imaginary bad back on your free medical card until you actually develop a genuine addiction to the tablets you demanded.free house guaranteed then.might cost you an optional tenner a week.
    And if you think that’s far fetched,every town and village in Ireland is full with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

They’re not paying rent to the council. Tenants are paying rent to the housing organisation which actually owns the properties.

Exactly but the County Councils and Government fund the purchase of the houses. The rent paid by the tenants is used to pay the wages of the employees of the housing organisation/quango.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

No scrounger here, pay a mortgage on a nice home, have a good job, third level education, money on the bank - I've been on welfare, and come from a working class background in a rough neighbourhood where social housing is the norm - I've seen how the majority of people in social housing live, little or no work, some can't even read or write, jails addiction and illnesses are common, medication for anxiety is rampant.

You can oversimplify it to "55 a week housing for the rest of your life" and get a good hate on, but remember, it's a package deal - and I wouldn't begrudge them or wish it on anyone.

happy xmas

Very occasionally there is a well written post on AH that is compassionate and thoughtful. This is one of them.

Well done begby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I never said to completely abolish Social Housing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

A few sheets of corrugated iron does wonders.

doylefe wrote:
    A few sheets of corrugated iron does wonders.

Yeah, this is actually the 21St century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

wellwhynot wrote: »
    Exactly but the County Councils and Government fund the purchase of the houses. The rent paid by the tenants is used to pay the wages of the employees of the housing organisation/quango.

What you will also find is that some people are refusing housing offers from these associations/agencies, one reason is that you cannot furnish these houses to the specification you desire, unlike a council house which is deemed for life and you can effectively do what you like to it once the planning/H&S laws aren't breached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm always wondering why all the people begrudging here aren't boarding the gravy train themselves?
    Because every single on of them knows how miserable this life is being an outlaw with little to no perspective. Life is about so much more than just having a house for marginal rent for life. Long term unemployment is nothing to aspire to. You'll always be at grace of the state and these people are comfortable within the small wiggle room they have. These people are understimulated, have no drive, some are mentally ill as a result of this monotonous life of watching soaps, sleep long, going to Tesco and eat chipper food.
    Yeah they might not work and are sorted because some loopholes exist (which is a topic in itself) but it's a pretty miserable life and I'd prefer paying big rent but have actual control over my life and got taught the right values to progress and taking care of myself.
    The people getting all the hate here can't take care of themselves, they depend on mammy state and never evolve beyond their tiny estate they grew up and live in. Throw in addiction, mental illness and the defense mechanism of being an arseh0le to everyone who is an intellectual threat for you.

For me not worth giving up my independence and perspective for a life of small rent.
    And people in social housing working pay more rent anyway but are still restricted since the vast majority earns a low wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

LeBash wrote: »
    We do need social houses. There are people who genuinely are living in hotels and on the street.

The 1 annoying thing about it is, people working in Dublin (I'm sure other cities are similar) end up having to move 50+ km away from where they work because they can't afford to compete with their own tax money.

If someone is in need of social housing and isn't working, then they don't need to be inside the M50 or even Dublin. The person contributing to the social housing ends up with a 3 hour commute each day. That's just plain wrong.

Because the scrounger class needs a "Support Network" so cannot move away from "da Mammy".

But if you work and live 50 kms away from your parents? Hey...**** you. You don't need no stinkin' support network. Just continue to pump 2k a month into Creche fees if you have kidsand after school care and keep the system ticking over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

LirW wrote: »
    I'm always wondering why all the people begrudging here aren't boarding the gravy train themselves?
    Because every single on of them knows how miserable this life is being an outlaw with little to no perspective. Life is about so much more than just having a house for marginal rent for life. Long term unemployment is nothing to aspire to. You'll always be at grace of the state and these people are comfortable within the small wiggle room they have. These people are understimulated, have no drive, some are mentally ill as a result of this monotonous life of watching soaps, sleep long, going to Tesco and eat chipper food.
    Yeah they might not work and are sorted because some loopholes exist (which is a topic in itself) but it's a pretty miserable life and I'd prefer paying big rent but have actual control over my life and got taught the right values to progress and taking care of myself.
    The people getting all the hate here can't take care of themselves, they depend on mammy state and never evolve beyond their tiny estate they grew up and live in. Throw in addiction, mental illness and the defense mechanism of being an arseh0le to everyone who is an intellectual threat for you.

For me not worth giving up my independence and perspective for a life of small rent.
    And people in social housing working pay more rent anyway but are still restricted since the vast majority earns a low wage.

Because more and more of our income taxes are being taken to pay for these "useless eaters".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Plenty of things I'd blame FF and FG but the majority of the blame lies with the hard left here.
    They d hardly have addiction problems, would they?

All of these people have addiction problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Because more and more of our income taxes are being taken to pay for these "useless eaters".

I'm not saying that the way it is at the moment is right, there's a lot of improvement that needs to be done, but I don't get the whole glorifying of a wasteful lifestyle.
    We had to move quite far out too and it is frustrating to see how it goes on. But I'd rather live far away and commute than living a life like that. It seems darn unattractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

Try_harder wrote: »
    Not a life I want or desire. But I dont begrudge those that need it

what about thoes that dont NEED it but just WANT it?

what about thoes that dont NEED it but just WANT it?

Proportionally, how many of these exist?

We hear about the extreme cases but there are always chancers stealing a living at every level of the pyramid.

Do we want a society who makes it very difficult/impossible for x number because a smaller y number will also benefit.

Berserker wrote: »
    Plenty of things I'd blame FF and FG but the majority of the blame lies with the hard left here.

All of these people have addiction problems?

Addiction is only an easy go to excuse for lazy scroungers to justify their lifestyle. If they wanted to overcome their addiction there are plenty of treatment options open to them.a simple google search will tell you this

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Social welfare (i include housing in this) needs an overhaul in this country imo. It's a great service, and is absolutely required in all countries, as there are always people who will need help to get themselves and their families out of tough situations. I may well end up in that category at some stage in my life, and am happy that there is a small safety net there for if it happens.

It should never be a choice though. You shouldn't be able to just sign up for a free house at 18 years old. You shouldn't be allowed to choose where you live, or turn down your free house for a better one. And you sure as hell shouldn't be getting anything from the state if you have shown yourself to be incapable of following the law (multiple previous convictions).

Social welfare needs to be managed better, monitored better, and there needs to be penalties for people who abuse the system.

• Advertisement

Addiction is only an easy go to excuse for lazy scroungers to justify their lifestyle.If they wanted to overcome their addiction there are plenty of treatment options open to them.

Yes, I'm off to get a drug addiction in order to justify my lazy lifestyle to all the anonymous people online. Jesus wept.

Advertisement