Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House for life for 55 euro a week.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

screamer wrote: »
    Ah you won't get much support on here....seems to be a lot of scroungers around
    For what it's worth, agree with you. It's not people who need help from time to time it's the put nothing in ever, get everything free forever brigade that books my blood.
    Anyways another scrounger should be along any second with a scarcastic remark to try to quieten your valid point.....

No scrounger here, pay a mortgage on a nice home, have a good job, third level education, money on the bank - I've been on welfare, and come from a working class background in a rough neighbourhood where social housing is the norm - I've seen how the majority of people in social housing live, little or no work, some can't even read or write, jails addiction and illnesses are common, medication for anxiety is rampant.

You can oversimplify it to "55 a week housing for the rest of your life" and get a good hate on, but remember, it's a package deal - and I wouldn't begrudge them or wish it on anyone.

happy xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

begbysback wrote: »

happy xmas

Jaysus, it's a bit early for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

1st Nov - it officially begins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

What happens if someone gets a job while paying the 55 a week?

He states that’s for life.

This to me is blatant discrimination against people paying mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Once Halloween is over it’s Christmas!

Thems the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Rent is means tested. Your income increases then so does your rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

No it is means tested your income increases your rent increases m. I do believe there's a max limit on how much it can be increased but couldn't tell you at how much. And I'm not sure of how they know if someone's circumstance has changed. If it's voluntrey disclosure or if there tied into revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

PapaOscar wrote: »
    Its not though, most of these poxbottles will never get to step foot out of Ireland. I cant imagine not having a couple of holidays a year or having money there to do whatever with.Despite what you may think, the free house, dole life is no life at all its a sorry existence. I wouldnt swap places.

Average household income in Ireland is just over 50K.. in a high cost country

If you think people are buying homes, raising children and still having multiple foreign holidays a year; you're living in some delusion.

Obviously some people are. And good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Shenshen wrote: »
    So the begrudgery in this thread is actually people kicking themselves that they're not clever/capable/crafty enough to "play the system to the max", and therefore have less quality of life than those on benefits?

They are kicking themselves because they are working long hours and paying tax to fund those who "play the system"

We need to bring in "workfare", plenty of things that could be done to improve our towns and cities. Pay at minimum wage so a single person may just need to work about 20 hours/week if married with lots of dependent then they might have to work 48 hours/week.
    The "work" could even be attending courses, subject to them passing tests every few months, if not they should revert to real work.

But giving people money without them having to do anything in return is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like the people who give out about the cushy lifestyle teachers have etc if it's so great why don't you try being a dole jockey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Rent is means tested. Your income increases then so does your rent.

Did you listen to the audio?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

LeBash wrote: »
    We do need social houses. There are people who genuinely are living in hotels and on the street.

The 1 annoying thing about it is, people working in Dublin (I'm sure other cities are similar) end up having to move 50+ km away from where they work because they can't afford to compete with their own tax money.

If someone is in need of social housing and isn't working, then they don't need to be inside the M50 or even Dublin. The person contributing to the social housing ends up with a 3 hour commute each day. That's just plain wrong.

I assume this is a legacy issue in that there is a lot of existing social housing stock in the city centre already, therefore that is where people are housed. I presume any new social housing stock coming on line now is not in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Its not though, most of these poxbottles will never get to step foot out of Ireland. I cant imagine not having a couple of holidays a year or having money there to do whatever with.Despite what you may think, the free house, dole life is no life at all its a sorry existence. I wouldnt swap places.

Don't be making me laugh it's too early.

Lets be honest, being on various welfare handouts does not stop all recipients from having a holiday...not in the slightest.

Im sure a lot of us know people who are long term "unemployed" who work cash in hand jobs.

Again, it must be emphasised that there are different catagories of welfare recipients. Generally, nobody has issues with the genuine cases, I know I dont.

Its the able bodied, long termers who have the hand out and abuse the system that frustrate people.

Id like to see the €55 per week houses go to people who actually need and deserve it, not the perpetual lazy grabbers of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Tenants should never be able to buy their council house

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if you've ever been on a plane to Alicante or Lanzarote you know that people on social welfare do indeed go on foreign holidays.

screamer wrote: »
    They don't..... Working is not seen as bettering yourself, and most will just follow in parents footsteps.Generational scrounging, it's alive and thriving.

Most? Evidence? Fintan O'Toole was writing the other day about how he was raised in a council house in Crumlin. He pointed out that since the foundation of the state, and especially since De Valera started an enormous house building programme in the 1930s, millions of Irish people have been raised in council homes.
    More than 300,000 houses have been built by local authorities in the history of the State – an achievement we should be proud of. If each of those houses has been home to an average of 10 people, that’s three million Irish products of these allegedly terrible places. (Fintan O'Toole, 'Snobbery is at root of housing crisis')

So, your evidence for tarnishing a whole section of our society like this is what, precisely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

Well, that's a lie.

If you are talking of boards.ie of 2001, you may have a point, but boards has and is being taken over by a right wing mentality.

Most contentious threads will have 2/3 people defending a liberal viewpoint, while the majority of the rest will be attacking it.

You may say that is representative of Irish Society, but that is blatantly untrue. Look at the boards exit poll of the recent presidential election. https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057923419

Boards has changed from its nice, socially conscious internet forum, to something much worse. But it is a window into how a minority think.

People become more conservative as they grow up, get richer, become contributors to society.

Unfortunately you are right, we are in a minority in wider society.

Ultimately a nation where contributors can be outvoted is in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Those houses were built and are owned by the Respond organisation. They can do what the fcuk they like with them, including taking €55 a week in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well, that's a lie.

If you are talking of boards.ie of 2001, you may have a point, but boards has and is being taken over by a right wing mentality.

Most contentious threads will have 2/3 people defending a liberal viewpoint, while the majority of the rest will be attacking it.

You may say that is representative of Irish Society, but that is blatantly untrue. Look at the boards exit poll of the recent presidential election. https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057923419

Boards has changed from its nice, socially conscious internet forum, to something much worse. But it is a window into how a minority think.

What rock were you living under while the abortion threads were going on?

stevek93 wrote: »
    Sitting in work now thinking why am I here :confused:

You could give up work. Your choice. Ah, you've decided to stay working? I wonder why...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Here’s a Respond purchased development in Coolock village (Artane side) 10 minutes from Dublin 1, close to all amenities.

Seriously nice houses in a good area. There’s some photos of the houses in the thread, even in Coolock these are worth €500k @ 1,650 sq ft, 4 bed, 3 bath.

https://www.respond.ie/events/16-families-including-69-children-move-into-their-new-homes-in-chanel-in-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

AmberGold wrote: »
    Here’s a Respond purchased development in Coolock village (Artane side) 10 minutes from Dublin 1, close to all amenities. It was originally built as private housing but the developer got into trouble (I could be wrong on this one).

Seriously nice houses in a good area. There’s some photos of the houses in the thread, even in Coolock these are worth €500k.

https://www.respond.ie/events/16-families-including-69-children-move-into-their-new-homes-in-chanel-in-dublin/

Who the **** built those? You can literally see what they're having for dinner.

And wearing to bed.

Nermal wrote: »
    People become more conservative as they grow up, get richer, become contributors to society.

Yes. Perhaps the unionists of Derry had it right back in 1967, where the unionists, eh ratepayers, could get 6 votes and the nationalists, eh non-ratepayers, could get none?

It should be fun when Roy Foster, Ruth Dudley Edwards, Kevin Myers and the Sunday Independent get to revising that history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

if you've ever been on a plane to Alicante or Lanzarote you know that people on social welfare do indeed go on foreign holidays.

Fcuk you Ryanair and your cheap flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Why should the children get these homes in succession? That's madness...sure why would they try better themselves...

Because they learn from their parents. If your parents are hard working, honest people, you will probably follow in their footsteps. Ditto for the children of long term unemployed people. Stats have shown that they'll spend their life on the dole, as a rule.

They do step out of Ireland. They go to Spain religiously, year in year out. Had the misfortune of spending three days beside some of them in Grand C. a few years back. They sit by the pool, get drunk and head to the pub, Irish pub of course and drink some more. The next day is the exact same.

Also, the cheap house, dole, pub, bookies etc lifestyle is a hell of a lot more comfortable than going out to work in a minimum wage job or any job that these people are qualified to do. There are plenty of working people who cannot afford a foreign holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Try_harder wrote: »
    Not a life I want or desire. But I dont begrudge those that need it
    Need it? Of course. Doubt many would begrudge people who need it
    Slanty wrote: »
    Most of the working class don’t have there couple of holidays a year or surplus money sitting around.

Most are living week to week paying thousands a month to rent and working 40+ hours a week.
    Working class people aren't being referred to here though, seeing as they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Berserker wrote:
    Also, the cheap house, dole, pub, bookies etc lifestyle is a hell of a lot more comfortable than going out to work in a minimum wage job or any job that these people are qualified to do. There are plenty of working people who cannot afford a foreign holiday.

They d hardly have addiction problems, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

I had a chat with a friend of mine a while ago just after i bought a house and he said because him and his wife work full time now they have to pay 150 a week for a three bed flat.

i was like that is cheap. but i just think its a cycle that the lifelong social housing occupants are use to paying **** all rent and just will wait ten years or more on the list which you get told to go on as soon as your born!! to get a house or flat in a hotel or ****ty housing because really who wants to pay 2k a month rent compared to 600 a month!!.

It is annoying but unless there is mass protests like the stupid water protests nothing will go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

AmberGold wrote: »
    Here’s a Respond purchased development in Coolock village (Artane side) 10 minutes from Dublin 1, close to all amenities.

Seriously nice houses in a good area. There’s some photos of the houses in the thread, even in Coolock these are worth €500k @ 1,650 sq ft, 4 bed, 3 bath.

they are some serious properties right there...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Nermal wrote: »

I'm in my mid-forties, reasonably comfortably off, have paid taxes for well over 20 years and am in the process of paying off a mortgage.

How old an rich is the average boardsie? :eek:

Advertisement