Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Firearms 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Emmersonn wrote: »
    East Cork and not just mine. A few lads that have rifles locally went through the same rigmarole. The FO is sound.

I'm in East Cork too, my licence was held up "because as a .308 it's a restricted firearm"

I have to drop down a picture , I'm applying for a new licence Remington 700. I already have a licence for a .22

I've been asked "if it looks like a gun?"

then "if it had a magazine of 10 or more because that'd make it restricted"

I explained it's a floor plate, so now it's getting processed as non restricted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

BryanL wrote: »

Since when?

Ten round limits apply to rimfires, but the Act nor either SI (21/2008 or 337/2009) limit the magazine capacity for cenrtrefire rifles that are bolt action.

All centrefire semi autos are automatically restricted so the mag issue is moot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Cass wrote: »
    Since when?

Ten round limits apply to rimfires, but the Act nor either SI (21/2008 or 337/2009) limit the magazine capacity for cenrtrefire rifles that are bolt action.

All centrefire semi autos are automatically restricted so the mag issue is moot.

Sorry cads is it only semi auto rime fires? Is it legal for a bolt action rim fire to use a 25 round mag?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Oddly, no.

The SI says:
    (ii) single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds,
    So regardless of the action type if its a rimfire then the mag can only hold ten under an unrestricted license. Anything over ten and it's restricted.

They either missed or didn't care enough to limit centrefires. As said above semi auto centrefires are restricted by their very nature so there is no way to own a semi auto centrefire under any other license than restricted. So perhaps it was an oversight, but neither SI limits the mag size of a bolt action, single shot, etc. centrefire rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BryanL wrote: »
    I
    I've been asked "if it looks like a gun?"

I explained it's a floor plate, so now it's getting processed as non restricted.

Oh dear...Someone in that station is confused all right.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Just got my FC Grant letter. This year I asked for permission for a moderator. This was granted with the condition that when firing while using the moderator I must notify all householders within 1000 meters.(phone is acceptable) Is this condition normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Just got my FC Grant letter. This year I asked for permission for a moderator. This was granted with the condition that when firing while using the moderator I must notify all householders within 1000 meters.(phone is acceptable) Is this condition normal.

It might be normal where you are, but it's rather odd. The point of having a moderator is to reduce the sound made by firing the gun, not for you to run up a phone bill telling people that '...just letting you know that the sound you can't hear is me shooting my rifle with a sound moderator on it...' It also assumes that you know the phone numbers of all these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

There must be something doing the rounds for all of these bizarre conditions to suddenly start emerging this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

tac foley wrote: »
    It might be normal where you are, but it's rather odd. The point of having a moderator is to reduce the sound made by firing the gun, not for you to run up a phone bill telling people that '...just letting you know that the sound you can't hear is me shooting my rifle with a sound moderator on it...' It also assumes that you know the phone numbers of all these people.

And are you supposed to phone them up at 5am if you are going out early during the Summer?

What if you try phoning them and they aren't home? Does that mean you can't go out shooting? Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

You could put it in the parish newsletter, and announce to the whole area you have guns and will be out of your house at these times.
    That is a joke of a condition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Sounds a bit "Father Ted" to me. The whole point is you are not disturbing people while shooting, not ringing them up mithering them. What happens if someone is home and won't answer the phone ? Do you have to pack up and go home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

THAT is the strangest one yet!!
    I thought CliveJ's lad being allowed one pistol mag was weird,or me being restricted to using my 22 silencers on a range or on my own property,but not on my let. But please bang away with a silenced .308 at all 3locations is fine.But this...???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What if you have a halting site or some other undesirable within 1km of you? Or someone who is anti-shooting? You've to go down and let them know you have firearms? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What if you have a halting site or some other undesirable within 1km of you? Or someone who is anti-shooting? You've to go down and let them know you have firearms? :confused::confused::confused:

Perhaps a large neon sign of a cowboy shooting six guns and an arrow pointing to the words "Free Guns Here !" would satisfy the Guards and make more financial sense in the long term than all those phone calls....
    Letting every person in the area know you own firearms is the most patently stupid way to go. It is reckless and unsafe and the Guard recommending this is either incompetent or stupid. How incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

The motto of the Guards is “Working with Communities to Protect and Serve”, yet decisions like the above do not protect anyone else living in that persons vicinity and it makes the firearm holder less easy to protect!!! I have had to deal (and friends of mine locally) with repeated issues with firearm licences vis a vis Garda mistakes and holdups, loss of applications, sent to wrong station etc etc. It has become the norm, not the exception it seems. I just read on Facebook from IrishShootingSports of a Guard ringing him up to ask if a .410 was a rifle or a shotgun....

Advertisement