Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir lose BT Sport from next summer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

With the games on in Japan how many of them will be on at a reasonable hour?

I am happy enough with eir because of the pro14 but I am debating whether or not I will sign upto another 12 month contract. The incentive is smaller and maybe they will be forced to offer a better deal.

They really need to up their app so it provides catch up of content.

Sky are just incredibly expensive when the English channels are on freesat.

The good thing about BT was having the Champions League as well. Next year that will be gone too.

To get BT on Sky you could be talking about €80 p/m excluding the sky sports, as you have to sign upto the basic tv package.

I might be looking into rugbypass yet. It is covered under my dns service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

Does rugbypass show every game live?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

With the games on in Japan how many of them will be on at a reasonable hour?

I am happy enough with eir because of the pro14 but I am debating whether or not I will sign upto another 12 month contract. The incentive is smaller and maybe they will be forced to offer a better deal.

They really need to up their app so it provides catch up of content.

Sky are just incredibly expensive when the English channels are on freesat.

The good thing about BT was having the Champions League as well. Next year that will be gone too.

To get BT on Sky you could be talking about €80 p/m excluding the sky sports, as you have to sign upto the basic tv package.

I might be looking into rugbypass yet. It is covered under my dns service.

Most of the games are 16:15-19:45 kick off times, the odd game or two a bit earlier like a couple of the NZ games at 14:15 and Australia, but all the Ireland games will be 7:15am at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Buer wrote: »
    Ah. I'm with Eir so this doesn't apply to me.

I wouldn't say it's worthless at all. It just doesn't appeal to you, necessarily. The Pro14 is by far the single biggest draw of any sporting competition for me. In addition to that, they have all of the below live which are big crowd pullers (although the F1 is going elsewhere I believe too):

- GAA Allianz league in both football and hurling
    - Rugby World Cup
    - Rugby JWC
    - US Masters
    - Wimbledon/French Open
    - Formula One

I could see many rugby fans holding off on cutting their Eir subscriptions for a good while yet if it means missing the RWC which is a massive draw.

Rugby World Cup and the tennis are available free on other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

lertsnim wrote: »
    Rugby World Cup and the tennis are available free on other channels.

Not all RWC games are. ITV have the rights in England and I recall they didn't bother showing a good few pool games in 2015. FTA in Ireland can show 13 pool games from 40. I would imagine there will be a decent few games that Eir will be the only station showing.

Also, French Open tennis is on Eurosport which I don't think everyone has, to my knowledge.

EDIT: 4 matches from Ireland's pool were on ITV4 or ITV Player in 2015, not the bog standard ITV channel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I wouldn't say it's worthless at all. It just doesn't appeal to you, necessarily. The Pro14 is by far the single biggest draw of any sporting competition for me. In addition to that, they have all of the below live which are big crowd pullers (although the F1 is going elsewhere I believe too):

- Rugby World Cup
    - Rugby JWC
    - US Masters
    - Wimbledon/French Open
    - Formula One

I could see many rugby fans holding off on cutting their Eir subscriptions for a good while yet if it means missing the RWC which is a massive draw.

Many rugby fans are also football fans though and if you're paying for both Sky and Eir, you'll more than likely drop Eir and just subscribe to Sky. Eir will need to drop to Premier Sport price levels without BT.

Obviously it will be a bit different for Eir TV / broadband subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bennyl10

from the 42
    Irish customers who have a TV subscription will gain access to both Sky Sports and BT Sports through a single package, or can purchase the BT Sport package on a standalone basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Not all RWC games are. ITV have the rights in England and I recall they didn't bother showing a good few pool games in 2015. FTA in Ireland can show 13 pool games from 40. I would imagine there will be a decent few games that Eir will be the only station showing.

Also, French Open tennis is on Eurosport which I don't think everyone has, to my knowledge.

EDIT: 4 matches from Ireland's pool were on ITV4 or ITV Player in 2015, not the bog standard ITV channel.

And even then, you need a satellite dish to get ITV so it's no use to a large number of people here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And even then, you need a satellite dish to get ITV so it's no use to a large number of people here.

Isn't ITV available on Virgin Media?

Isn't ITV available on Virgin Media?

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

- Rugby World Cup
    - Rugby JWC
    - US Masters
    - Wimbledon/French Open
    - Formula One

It's losing F1 to Sky.

The rest of that list is all short events, not things that will keep people subscribed. Aside from the Allianz League of course, which nobody cares about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Mc Love wrote: »
    We might not even have Sky in Ireland after March 29th

You misread it. We won't have THE sky after March 29th.

Because it'll fall in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    It's losing F1 to Sky.

The rest of that list is all short events, not things that will keep people subscribed. Aside from the Allianz League of course, which nobody cares about.

In terms of an additional subscription, not enough, no. But then again, I would never take a subscription to another set of channels over a longer period when I have the main matches I want under my standard package. It's easier just to stream for far less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Dbu wrote: »
    Can you get BT sports, without a sky sports subscription on Sky platform?

yes

you don't need to have sky sports to get BT (via Eir Sport package)

But you need an active Sky TV package

If you are not an Eir subscriber it is 27 per month to get the sports

just to be pedantic you can pay an annual fee which makes it a bit cheaper

on the other hand if you have multi room with sky you need to pay a further fee to have BT/Eir also on multi room - so if BT and Sky are on same package this may be dropped

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To be honest I wish Sky would just take back everything and we could end this charade every year or two. Bring back the days of one single subscription getting you everything you want.

Eir's streaming option for non-Eir customers is garbage. Uses Silverlight via a website so it doesn't work on iPads, a bizarre limitation.

Riskymove wrote: »
    yes

you don't need to have sky sports to get BT (via Eir Sport package)

But you need an active Sky TV package

You don't need an active sky package.
    I have an old sky box in my room and I got a card from eir to show eir/bt sports.

However, with Sky/BT I feel sky will make you at least take the basic package and possibly hd too so you could have to fork out a good bit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The more I read about this, the more I'm thinking Eir really isn't the right option for BB, Phone and TV package. I can't ****ing stand Virgin TV'sUI, though.

Going by the 42.ie article the rights may not be exclusive. That would be good news for eir sports but not much good to Virgin unless themselves and eir strike a deal.

We shouldn't be in a situation where providers have exclusive access.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm telling you all. RugbyPass and VPN. All these providers can get stuffed.

• Advertisement

I have an old sky box in my room and I got a card from eir to show eir/bt sports.

that's interesting to know thanks

I didn't know Eir could issue a card

Riskymove wrote: »
    that's interesting to know thanks

I didn't know Eir could issue a card

They can't, you need to have an old sky card and box anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ITV 1, 2, 3 and 4 are available to anyone with a satellite dish so yes all games are available. ITV's rights aren't just for England, they are for the whole of the UK.

The French Open is also on ITV. They show the same one court coverage that Eir Sport show, again it is available to anyone who puts up a dish.

Yes some people can't have a dish but the option is there for most.

They can't, you need to have an old sky card and box anyways.

Well I got one. Many others did.

Well I got one. Many others did.

Yeah. But eir don't send you the card, you've to get one off adverts/eBay if you don't have one already.

Yeah. But eir don't send you the card, you've to get one off adverts/eBay if you don't have one already.

I did get it off eir. Last time I will post on that.

They used to do it, not anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

davo2001 wrote: »
    Dropped you a PM.

Could you pm that info to me too please if you dont mind, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Triboro wrote:
    Could you pm that info to me too please if you dont mind, thanks.

And me please

• Advertisement

You don't need an active sky package.

However, with Sky/BT I feel sky will make you at least take the basic package and possibly hd too so you could have to fork out a good bit.

Any white Sky card (active or not), as long as it was for an Irish subscription will do. If you have an online account set up with your Eir package, all you have to do is/was to login, go to the appropriate section to register for Eirsports, enter the the card number and bingo, takes about a minute for the card to activate. At least we'll get until the end of July next year with the current set up.

Advertisement