Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir lose BT Sport from next summer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I was a massive HC supporter from the get-go - but the constant tV greed , means i rarely watch it now - just the later stages in pubs - sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

So prices for BT if you add these channels to a Sky Sports pack aren't known yet.

yes I know but people here are speculating that you will still pay the same for sky sports and then the same for BT as you would at present in the UK

if there is no financial advantage to having both via sky I do not see what all the fanfare on the new deal is about.

Maybe not. Available on a standalone basis according to this Indo piece.

at least that would mean people could sign up to BT Sport without having to sign up for sky sports if that's what they wanted

still need a basic sky package though

Riskymove wrote: »
    yes I know but people here are speculating that you will still pay the same for sky sports and then the same for BT as you would at present in the UK

if there is no financial advantage to having both via sky I do not see what all the fanfare on the new deal is about.

Apologies, I probably should have said the prices in the UK still aren't known yet, despite the deal for the UK being announced last December. You get BT on the Sky platform at the moment but its a separate sub. It might become a bit cheaper (then again it might not) to add BT to an existing Sky Sports sub as an incentive under the new arrangement.
    at least that would mean people could sign up to BT Sport without having to sign up for sky sports if that's what they wanted

still need a basic sky package though

Would you? That would make BT bloody expensive if that were true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Buer wrote: »
    It will be disappointing to lose BT and the games they have but, to be honest, I'm likely to stick with Eir still. They'll still be cheaper for all the Pro14 games than Sky/BT combined unless people want to specifically watch the Premiership or all the European games and that isn't the case for myself given the European games are only 6 weekends with on on FTA and I'm attending a few also; of any televised competition, the Pro14 is by far the biggest attraction for me.

I don't see a huge number of people dropping Eir for Sky on this basis. I reckon the biggest selling point for most people was the price, to be honest. I'm paying €60 for television (with multi-room), broadband and home phone. That simply won't be touched even after it goes up to €80 next summer.

Would you still pay €27 a month just for the Pro14? They'll have to slash the prices if they don't have BT. That's been driving their subscriptions rather than their own channels.

• Advertisement

Would you still pay €27 a month just for the Pro14? They'll have to slash the prices if they don't have BT. That's been driving their subscriptions rather than their own channels.

yes I doubt they could keep prices at that level for just 2 Eirsport channels

Would you? That would make BT bloody expensive if that were true.

well I don't think you can just have sky sports for example without basic sky so I imagine the same would apply to a BT sub

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

We might not even have Sky in Ireland after March 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Mc Love wrote: »

I hear we all have to start talking in Irish.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nobody is going to pay 27 quid for what’s left on Eir Sport after it loses the premier league, champions league and champions cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Mc Love wrote: »

Of course we will. Sky split their operations into Sky Ireland and Sky UK several years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

You'll need to be subscribing to BT on Sky I'd say.

Just being a Sky or Sky Sports customer won't be enough I expect.

Can you get BT sports, without a sky sports subscription on Sky platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dbu wrote: »
    Can you get BT sports, without a sky sports subscription on Sky platform?
    Not sure. You need a valid Sky Card number to subscribe to it in the first place, so you'd probably need the basic Sky package.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

If you are Eir broadband customer with a basic sky package you can get Eir and BT.
    Or an old viewing card number with a sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Statement from Eir
    We are aware of today’s announcement from Sky and BT and from an eir Sport perspective, there is no immediate change for our valued customers and the BT Sport channels remain part of the eir sport pack for the foreseeable future.

eir Sport is in constant dialogue with rights holders and will continue to invest in delivering the very best in sports content to our customers in the 2018/19 season and beyond.
    foreseeable future = August 2019 then

Also, for a company in "constant dialogue" they seemed to have been left out in the cold with this one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not sure. You need a valid Sky Card number to subscribe to it in the first place, so you'd probably need the basic Sky package.

I have sky q with a sports package currently, but as rugby is now effectively all on BT, I would like to cancel the Sp package and just get BT SPORTS.
    I have a funny feeling I will need both:(

Eir are panicking on how to message this because it is going to hit them hard. Eir Sport by itself is not worth much at all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You'll need to be subscribing to BT on Sky I'd say.

Did BT just buy Pure telecom?

Would make sense to move the sports to sky

• Registered Users Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If you've a stable internet connection with decent speeds, you'd be mad not to have an IPTV service. When I worked for one of the mentioned ISPs I had the full package which was grand, but after I left the bill came to like 180 a month. Cancelled the lot and got an IPTV service for a tenner a month, full HD picture and no issues with buffering etc.

We sorely need something like RugbyPass to launch in Ireland, or even a more affordable version of NowTV with the sports pass.

Not everyone has a stable good connection or want to do anything that is illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

prawnsambo wrote: »

thats just to subscribe to eir, i imagine this time it'll be included with sky sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I await digifriendly's post.

Apologies for coming late to the party on this one. But as I live north of the border this probably doesn't affect me as much as the majority of rugby viewers on the island. At present I subscribe to Sky Sports and get BT Sport on reduced subscription price due to having BT broadband. My son agreed to pay Premier Sports subscription (includes Eir Sport 1 on EPG) so I have all the rugby covered at present.
    Unsure where the new agreement between Sky/BT Sport leaves customers like me. Will I still have to pay 2 subscriptions as at present or just one to Sky that will get me BT sport as well? If it is the latter how much will the full subscription cost? Will it include reduced tarriff for BT Sports as at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

As an aside to the issue with BT Sport's, does anyone know what the position is with Eir Sports F1 coverage in 2019. Will they still be covering all races live as they did this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

As an aside to the issue with BT Sport's, does anyone know what the position is with Eir Sports F1 coverage in 2019. Will they still be covering all races live as they did this year?

Formula 1 is exclusive to Sky Sports from next next season.

I'm somewhat confused. Where is the €27 coming from? Eir Sports is part of their basic television package.

I'm somewhat confused. Where is the €27 coming from? Eir Sports is part of their basic television package.

Anyone who gets Eir Sport via Sky pays 27 quid a month for it.

The only reason this has any value is because of BT Sport. The Eir Sport channels themselves are close to worthless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If you are not an Eir subscriber it is 27 per month to get the sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I've a paid streaming service I use for all sports. Won't name it or anything but it gets me any sport I want from around the world often on a variety of channels from different countries. Don't have a tv subscription at all. It beats the socks off any tv package out there. Don't think it's illegal for me to use either to be honest, but I could be open to correction on that one. Don't really care though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

awec wrote: »

The only reason this has any value is because of BT Sport. The Eir Sport channels themselves are close to worthless.

Eir sport show the Pro 14 games...BT sport only shows Heineken cup

awec wrote: »

Ah. I'm with Eir so this doesn't apply to me.

I wouldn't say it's worthless at all. It just doesn't appeal to you, necessarily. The Pro14 is by far the single biggest draw of any sporting competition for me. In addition to that, they have all of the below live which are big crowd pullers (although the F1 is going elsewhere I believe too):

- GAA Allianz league in both football and hurling
    - Rugby World Cup
    - Rugby JWC
    - US Masters
    - Wimbledon/French Open
    - Formula One

I could see many rugby fans holding off on cutting their Eir subscriptions for a good while yet if it means missing the RWC which is a massive draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

Internet version of the old dodgy boxes back in the day that used to piggyback off Sky viewing cards.

That statement is just so, so wrong.... :rolleyes:

However, we're not allowed talk about IPTV on Boards, so all I'll say is that anyone who is paying a tenner a month for it is being ripped off.

And now, back to your scheduled presentation - Eir lose BT Sport from next summer.

Advertisement