Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir lose BT Sport from next summer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

"Sky will become BT's exclusive distribution partner in Ireland."

This statement makes it sound like BT will only be available through Sky over here. If that's the case, it's extremely disappointing.

ya they'll either lump it in witht he sky sports pack

or we'll have the eir situation just with sky

The bog standard charge for BT in SD via the Sky platform in the UK is £27.99pm. In HD it is £34.49pm.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/sport/sky/

However the wholesale BT/Sky arrangement is only starting early next year. It will be interesting to see will the prices go down or not. No doubt this will be a guide for the RoI when the similar arrangement kicks in next Summer.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/get-bt-sport-on-sky

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I just signed up for another 12 months with Eir yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

So, from next year it will cost me:

€30 per month for BT sports
    €27.50 per month for Eir Sports (I'm not an eir broadband customer)
    €40 per month for Sky sports
    €30 for standard sky subscription (needed for sky sports)

Total: €127.50 per month.

Thank christ i have a decent IPTV subscription and get all these channels for a tenner a month. You'd want to be mad to pay that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,970 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sky and BT in the UK are joining forces from early 2019, where you can get full Sky Sports on BT box (via Full Now TV App, the app currently only allows Movies on the BT Box and not all movies are available) not just Sky Sports Main event with BT selling Now TV. You will be able to pay Sky directly for BT Sports instead of having two bills your sky bill and a BT bill, all they are doing is making it easier to pay more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

davo2001 wrote: »

Thank christ i have a decent IPTV subscription and get all these channels for a tenner a month. You'd want to be mad to pay that much.

Sky will surely just lump bt in with it here?
    bring sky sports up to 50 and they'll sell both

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Sky will surely just lump bt in with it here?
    bring sky sports up to 50 and they'll sell both

Doubt it, BT will want the full revenue for it and Sky aren't going to take a hit on the costs of their sports channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The wholesale agreement in the uk means that you can get all channels on bt or sky but just subscribe to either.

We don't know yet if they will keep their sports packages separate or try to put them together. You would think they would give a sweetener to sign upto all.

I think Sky and BT are feeling the pinch and hoping this agreement will entice subscribers to take out both.

I believe Disney (same gang as Eurosport) are in the running to put the golf on a streaming service - I presume one of the tours.

I wasn't tempted by iptv upto this but gosh they are pushing people towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭CONSI

It really is getting far too hard to watch sport....Sky sports is gone to the dogs...3 channels most nights have the same thing on...Main event, premier league, football all often have the same thing on...I cant get Sky or Virgin where I am so get it through Vodafone TV but also have a NOW TV box for some of the sky channels...all too complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

They are definetly the masters of their own destruction. People will only be willing to pay so much before "obtaining" the viewing ability elsewhere.

It's actually funny that a monopoly was better for the consumer when Sky was the only pay TV sports broadcaster in the market. The addition of all these new players has ruined it for everyone.

Sky has been steadily losing sports rights, but not adjusting their subscription cost and justify it by adding crap no one wants to watch.

I'd much prefer a sports pass type of subscription. Some of us don't care about soccer, but in order to watch rugby the majority of your subscription cost goes to funding soccer rights.

I would love to be able to by a Rugby and Golf pass and **** the rest.

• Advertisement

If you've a stable internet connection with decent speeds, you'd be mad not to have an IPTV service. When I worked for one of the mentioned ISPs I had the full package which was grand, but after I left the bill came to like 180 a month. Cancelled the lot and got an IPTV service for a tenner a month, full HD picture and no issues with buffering etc.

We sorely need something like RugbyPass to launch in Ireland, or even a more affordable version of NowTV with the sports pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

I wasn't tempted by iptv upto this but gosh they are pushing people towards it.

What is iptv?

Is it legal?

What is iptv?

Is it legal?

Internet version of the old dodgy boxes back in the day that used to piggyback off Sky viewing cards.

Doubt it, BT will want the full revenue for it and Sky aren't going to take a hit on the costs of their sports channels.

Wouldn't be surprised. Standalone Eir BB is currently €53pm. No doubt quite a few rugby fans signed up knowing the BT channels were available for the European rugby at no extra cost, not forgetting the Premier League coverage as well. Eir will probably continue to offer their own Eir channels to Eir BB subscribers at no extra charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

What is iptv?

Internet Protocol TV
    Is it legal?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Who do you subscribe to because this seems like a no brainer !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

sure what is the point of this big announcement then (both previously in UK and now Ireland)

In the UK you pay for Sky Sports and then you can add on BT separately so you can watch via Sky Box

If there is no reduction in price in getting it all on one subscription under the new deal then basically nothing has changed so who cares

Likewise here - if the result really is that I will have to pay more than at present to have BT and Sky via Sky - why the fanfare? I would have thought they'd be more low key

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Simple solution: Cut the Cord.

Squiggle wrote: »
    Who do you subscribe to because this seems like a no brainer !

Dropped you a PM.

Riskymove wrote: »
    sure what is the point of this big announcement then (both previously in UK and now Ireland)

In the UK you pay for Sky Sports and then you can add on BT separately so you can watch via Sky Box

If there is no reduction in price in getting it all on one subscription under the new deal then basically nothing has changed so who cares

Likewise here - if the result really is that I will have to pay more than at present to have BT and Sky via Sky - why the fanfare? I would have thought they'd be more low key

The announcement is more that you won't be able to get it anywhere else now. Not that you'll get it all as the one package. Just that it's exclusive to sky now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The announcement is more that you won't be able to get it anywhere else now. Not that you'll get it all as the one package. Just that it's exclusive to sky now.

Is this actually confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dropped you a PM.

Same for the solution I use. :pac:

Riskymove wrote: »

The Sky/BT wholesale agreement announced last December for the UK is only starting early next year. So prices for BT if you add these channels to a Sky Sports pack aren't known yet.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/get-bt-sport-on-sky

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I already have Sky Sports and Eir Sports so I presume this means no change for me.

awec wrote: »
    I already have Sky Sports and Eir Sports so I presume this means no change for me.

Any match that is on BT sport you will lose, you will need to take out another subcription specifically for BT sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It does if Sky don't make the BT channels available as part of their standard sports pack. You'll lose them from the standard Eir package but have to pay extra for them on Sky, in that scenario.

Any match that is on BT sport you will lose, you will need to take out another subcription specifically for BT sports.

Depends if BT Sport channels are lumped in with Sky Sports. I think they will be. Sky will want people to subscribe to Sky Sports.

All of a sudden the Pro14 moving to Pay TV is looking a lot less rosy for Irish customers. Won't be able to get all rugby on one subscription any more, moving closer to the same deal the UK customers have.

This will be interesting for Eir and the Pro14. Now, Sky is looking like the better value subscription for anyone who cares about football (a sizeable chunk of rugby fans I would imagine). Will people give up their pro14 subscriptions for lots of football and European rugby?

Depends if BT Sport channels are lumped in with Sky Sports. I think they will be. Sky will want people to subscribe to Sky Sports.

Maybe not. Available on a standalone basis according to this Indo piece.
    This will be the first time Sky is able to provide BT Sport to its customers directly as part of a Sky bundle or on a standalone basis and across all Sky platforms including Sky Go.

https://www.independent.ie/business/media/good-news-for-sports-fans-sky-and-bt-extend-content-crosssupply-deal-in-ireland-37477537.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

All of a sudden the Pro14 moving to Pay TV is looking a lot less rosy for Irish customers. Won't be able to get all rugby on one subscription any more, moving closer to the same deal the UK customers have.

It will be disappointing to lose BT and the games they have but, to be honest, I'm likely to stick with Eir still. They'll still be cheaper for all the Pro14 games than Sky/BT combined unless people want to specifically watch the Premiership or all the European games and that isn't the case for myself given the European games are only 6 weekends with on on FTA and I'm attending a few also; of any televised competition, the Pro14 is by far the biggest attraction for me.

I don't see a huge number of people dropping Eir for Sky on this basis. I reckon the biggest selling point for most people was the price, to be honest. I'm paying €60 for television (with multi-room), broadband and home phone. That simply won't be touched even after it goes up to €80 next summer.

Advertisement