Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    that's actually an excellent idea. I usually leave out chicken breasts to defrost in a bowl with a plate on top. I'm always worried our cat will have a go at getting into it. She wouldn't go near the microwave.

Had a res cue cat once who could open the fridge door. Watched her and she would leap up, get her claws in the rubber seal and lean back until the door opened. I applied white sticky tape and that fooled her!

The oven works too even with this wee madam. Love seeing the feistiness of her..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

That is one clever cat! Forget necessity, hunger is the mother of invention!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Got word of a couple of small kitten hanging around a cafe on the main road here. I've spoke with the cafe and I'm gonna go and have a look this evening and see if I can catch them. I'm really nervous though, there's no one to help and it's really daunting on your own, especially as it's on a main road, I'm scared they'll run out and get killed.

There's no cat rescues here and when I've contacted the <snip>in the past I've not gotten a reply. I've sent them a message today but not holding out much hope.

I'll take full responsibility for them, just need help catching them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Got word of a couple of small kitten hanging around a cafe on the main road here. I've spoke with the cafe and I'm gonna go and have a look this evening and see if I can catch them. I'm really nervous though, there's no one to help and it's really daunting on your own, especially as it's on a main road, I'm scared they'll run out and get killed.

There's no cat rescues here and when I've contacted the <snip> in the past I've not gotten a reply. I've sent them a message today but not holding out much hope.

I'll take full responsibility for them, just need help catching them!

You could ask your local vet if they would loan you a trap?
    Your local <snip> or POUND might be able to help - or at least have a trap?

Bring some nice kitten food - and maybe something nice and smelly like tinned tuna and some bowls - dress warmly and be prepared to spend time sitting on the ground.

GOOD LUCK! Let us know how you get on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Guys you cannot name rescues in this forum under any circumstances. It really is extremely tiresome constantly snipping posts. Im going to be more inclined to just start deleting the whole post where they've been named or someone has come along and quoted the post above theirs were they've been named. It's a lot easier and less time consuming.

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    You could ask your local vet if they would loan you a trap?
    Your local <snip> or POUND might be able to help - or at least have a trap?

Bring some nice kitten food - and maybe something nice and smelly like tinned tuna and some bowls - dress warmly and be prepared to spend time sitting on the ground.

GOOD LUCK! Let us know how you get on?

I bought 2 humane traps eventually . Got them in Dingle for E40.

see

https://www.maceoinltd.com/cat-cage-trap-mink-trap/

They double as cat carriers.

ask google?

My first "catch" was my own big cat, who looked very very silly sitting in there..
    Be prepared for some wrong catches .

And wonderful of you..all success to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Thanks guys. I have a snap trap but it's not suitable for multiple kittens. We figured out how to use it with a water bottle to make it a manual release, but we've been down to the location they were at 3 times and no sign of them at all. The food we left wasn't even touched.

The cafe haven't seen the at all since Wednesday, bloody typical! They're gonna ring me if they show up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

For the love of god I’ve been waiting 40 mins at the vets... I heard the owner ‘educating’ the nurse on how to ‘come at the dog’.. was expecting something huge/fierce... just an excited lab... he is now hissing at it and giving it kicks to the ribs... I want to scream / ask does he jab his kids in the ribs like that. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

tk123 wrote: »
    For the love of god I’ve been waiting 40 mins at the vets... I heard the owner ‘educating’ the nurse on how to ‘come at the dog’.. was expecting something huge/fierce... just an excited lab... he is now hissing at it and giving it kicks to the ribs... I want to scream / ask does he jab his kids in the ribs like that. :mad:

:mad: :mad: :mad:

KJ wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I have a snap trap but it's not suitable for multiple kittens. We figured out how to use it with a water bottle to make it a manual release, but we've been down to the location they were at 3 times and no sign of them at all. The food we left wasn't even touched.

The cafe haven't seen the at all since Wednesday, bloody typical! They're gonna ring me if they show up again.

Maybe some other kind person has gathered them in? when the cafe was closed?
    Let us hope so. Sounds likely tbh

• Advertisement

fending off the new cat who was so abused and traumatised when she came ... now she is so happy she is trying to get inside me.. lol.... and she has grown! Delighted I am with her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Is anyone else here into meditation or relaxation? If so please support my request for a forum on the topic.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109280342#post109280342

Thanks ;)

My cats are acting hyper with the frost; no snow here..

Early today my 2 lookalike black and white boys were at the the ends of the long drive. They suddenly took off, raced to each other, leaped in the air and " crashed" with huge glee

Another is racing round like a crazy thing.

I put a hot water bottle under the fleece liners & the piggies are lovin’ it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sybil is 8 months and such a lovely dog now, going through the puppy blow right now, which is hard work. Her dad qualified for crufts today, he looks fabulous, hoping one day we'll get through this and see her beautiful coat in all its glory

Being on an sffhore island with Storm erik raging.. one of my cats was still outside when it hit and I could not get the door open. When it eased a little, he yelled at the door, came in and immediately sought refuge hiding in a cupboard.. I know how he feels

Graces7 wrote: »
    Being on an sffhore island with Storm erik raging.. one of my cats was still outside when it hit and I could not get the door open. When it eased a little, he yelled at the door, came in and immediately sought refuge hiding in a cupboard.. I know how he feels

Yep we’re all in for a duvet day here too, piggies happy out with their new bag of hay & mr c still in ‘bed’ ie in ours, under the covers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I lost my Parrotlet yesterday after complications from egg laying. Only a month after my dad passed away. Pretty gutted. I keep having to give my kids bad news.

Knine wrote: »
    I lost my Parrotlet yesterday after complications from egg laying. Only a month after my dad passed away. Pretty gutted. I keep having to give my kids bad news.

So very sorry to hear Knine; my condolences for the loss of your father so soon before, I’ve been there & although I was close to my father, losing our dog 5 weeks later to cancer was somehow worse.

em_cat wrote: »
    So very sorry to hear Knine; my condolences for the loss of your father so soon before, I’ve been there & although I was close to my father, losing our dog 5 weeks later to cancer was somehow worse.

It was like a kick in the face to be honest. The silence without her is deafening.

• Advertisement

It was like a kick in the face to be honest. The silence without her is deafening.

Oh, my heart is breaking, we get so use to the sounds of our pets that we are lost without them. One of our piggies is a screamer so if I don’t hear her in the morning I worry. Have you always had birds? I’ve never had them but know they can be ‘vocal’...

Have always had birds. The minute I walked into the sitting room I was greeted by silence. I knew.

Normally she always let you know her presence. We have a Ringneck Parrot too but my daughter owns him & he is rather anti social

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh Knine I'm so sorry to hear that. As you know, I have one budgie, her mate passed away just over a year ago, and it's just not the same without their chirping. Ivy is incredibly loud and I dread the day I don't hear her chirp :(
    So sorry to hear about your dad aswell. Life is just so unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Oh no sorry to hear that knine, your having a tough time of it :-( I had Rio for secret santa a few years ago too :-(

Question for you cat-gurus

We have a second rescue cat here, an ex-feral, that is now more of an indoor cat.
    Shes indoors from about 7am until we go to bed at night (after which she is put out in a workshop with supper and a heat pad in a cosy igloo) When she arrived, she had a pretty horrible abscess with complications on her jaw which required surgery etc. Shes completely recovered and is fat and sleek and wonderful now. The most affectionate and loving cat imaginable :) So this cat sleeps all day long :rolleyes: and at night when we're all sitting down for the evening, the purring and chirping this cat makes when asleep is DEAFENING! Really its so loud, its pretty irritating. It cant be normal to purr/chirp so loud - Im wondering if its something to do with the jaw/abscess surgery?? Our other cats purrs are nothing in comparison - this cat is like 100 times louder. Shes a bit of a wreck in general - wonky eyes, and a wonky pelvis, but the happiest cat - huge appetite, and just loves her lot. Cant be taken back to the vet to be checked though (not that she needs it) - putting her in a carrier and the car wont be happening - I know theres nothing we can do about it - we're mad about her - it would be nice to know WHY she is so noisy/loud though. Any ideas

She is thanking you the only way she can! I have one here the same, wraps round my hand and deafens me when I am trying to type... Just love her as you do, hard things and all! And you have worked miracles with her. Thank you! An inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Attempt 4(ish) to get our cat to eat better quality food. We're on day 3 now and have taken to hiding the new food under the old food. She'll nibble a bit but as soon as she gets a whiff of the new food she's done. It's so frustrating. How long do we wait for her to reach the 'starving so I'll eat anything' stage?

Graces7 wrote: »
    She is thanking you the only way she can! I have one here the same, wraps round my hand and deafens me when I am trying to type... Just love her as you do, hard things and all! And you have worked miracles with her. Thank you! An inspiration.

Shes really extraordinary - arrived feral, and now shes completely tame and an indoor cat. The vets reckoned she might have been around 4 years old, so maybe she was an owned cat once :( Sad to think of it if she was - having become feral and in such dreadful condition, to meet another human who she very very very slowly began to trust again - our gain - we're so fond of her

Here she is:

She looks like mine only mine is black,,,, same glued to the arm pose!

Mine actually joined the rest for an early walk down the quiet lane y;day! A first. Has taken since late October. I had all five of them scattering after me..

• Advertisement

Somewhat... cross. When I moved here was soon aware of a tomcat who thought he owned the place.
    The island cats had recently been " sorted" but the owner of this one refused,

I learned that he used to live here and was known for his vicious ways, and his Medusa stares.. attacks on my cats, stinky spraying on fuel....

Recently he had been quieter then this week he was here all the time and sounded different. Last evening I had a rare face to face with him and learned from that that he is not being fed properly if at all. Sheer hunger. And he has hurt a foot and is limping.

We talked and he stayed where he was. So of course I fed him. He wolfed it . So now he will be fed here and nothing said. Nothing I can do re his paw .
    How can anyone do this? I wondered a while back and checked that the owner was OK and maybe that got back to him!

All that matters is that he gets food and he will now

Advertisement