Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In the gloaming last evening, as I was letting my younger cats out, I did a double take as I realised there were three small black shapes and I have only 2... then saw small white patches where neither of mine have white patches... new cat froze as they do then we stared at each other and he went fast into the shed clearly knowing ihis way round.. NB this was not stinkertom who haunts the place...

This being an island of course, strays are not an issue . I gathered ( did not ask details, thank you) that there was a situation re cats not too long ago but they sorted it, and i was quizzed to make sure mine were "fixed" as I crossed with them the first time.

Emerged that stinkertom's owner refused.. nasty tom cat it is..

Found out only recently that my neighbour did not bother to get his tom fixed as there were no females left!

either the strange cat is his or we got problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Graces7 wrote: »
    In the gloaming last evening, as I was letting my younger cats out, I did a double take as I realised there were three small black shapes and I have only 2... then saw small white patches where neither of mine have white patches... new cat froze as they do then we stared at each other and he went fast into the shed clearly knowing ihis way round.. NB this was not stinkertom who haunts the place...

This being an island of course, strays are not an issue . I gathered ( did not ask details, thank you) that there was a situation re cats not too long ago but they sorted it, and i was quizzed to make sure mine were "fixed" as I crossed with them the first time.

Emerged that stinkertom's owner refused.. nasty tom cat it is..

Found out only recently that my neighbour did not bother to get his tom fixed as there were no females left!

either the strange cat is his or we got problems!

are there many cats on your island?
    and dogs?
    presumably you dont have an issue being an island, with ferals or strays?

I was interested to read that there is a new invasive species of Shrew in Co. Kildare now - Greater White Toothed Shrew -

Do you have a lot of rats/mice/squirrels on your Island? Is your island ferry or bridge accessed?

aonb wrote: »
    are there many cats on your island?
    and dogs?
    presumably you dont have an issue being an island, with ferals or strays?

I was interested to read that there is a new invasive species of Shrew in Co. Kildare now - Greater White Toothed Shrew -

Do you have a lot of rats/mice/squirrels on your Island? Is your island ferry or bridge accessed?

For cats; mine and two others have one each. both entire toms!
    everyone knows my cats now as they follow me when I walk. all five of them!

Dogs are working collies and few. My neighbour here has a beautiful blue merle collie with silver eyes . There are maybe a couple of pets at the other end

No, no ferals or strays; they sorted that out a while ago. Islands can be bad for overpopulation of cats when folk to not spay and neuter. and the resulting cats are inbred and puny

On another island a lady came home to tackle that

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/humaninterest/the-cat-woman-of-cape-clear-comes-home-223046.html

a few other web sites on her. she died after a year at home

Rats we have. This place had been empty years and since i came my cats have worked hard and well. one of the dead rats they brought me was the size of a half grown cat... No native trees as the winds are too fierce, no rabbits as the ground is pure rock and they cannot burrow, but a healthy hare population.. and we are a true island ...ferry only and frequently cut off which I love

oh a fox has been seen.

a bird paradise of course. I love it! and my cats are safe here which means a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:pac::pac::pac::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was possible sightings of those coypu things in our park at the weekend... before it was announced it was a false alarm lol!! eejits! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was possible sightings of those coypu things in our park at the weekend... before it was announced it was a false alarm lol!! eejits! :p

so what was sighted??!? :D
    A hoax, or someone saw something a said "Its a Coypu!!"?????????????

Just googled it - it was an otter!

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    so what was sighted??!? :D
    A hoax, or someone saw something a said "Its a Coypu!!"?????????????

Just googled it - it was an otter!

Yeah it was otters in the park too. I’ve haven’t seen one yet :( but others have

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I am crying laughing!

I'm starting to try and shape weave poles (2x2 Susan Garrett method in case anyone is wondering) and my GSDx was trying different things that might be right (weaving through my legs etc) when she decided just to grab one of the weave poles and wrench it out of the ground to give it to me. I'm not sure my hysterical giggles persuaded her that she was entirely wrong... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Choc Chip wrote:
    I'm starting to try and shape weave poles (2x2 Susan Garrett method in case anyone is wondering) and my GSDx was trying different things that might be right (weaving through my legs etc) when she decided just to grab one of the weave poles and wrench it out of the ground to give it to me. I'm not sure my hysterical giggles persuaded her that she was entirely wrong...

Haha I love this! We had something similar recently, was trying a bit of nose work with one of mine. Had a treat hidden under a cone(idea was to sniff it out and indicate which one it was under) but we've done so much targeting that he came over sat in front of the cones batted each one over with his paw, found the treat and swiftly gobbled it up! Was trying to set it up again, hadn't even put anything under them and he knocked them all over again! So now it's back to the drawing board

Bells21 wrote: »
    Haha I love this! We had something similar recently, was trying a bit of nose work with one of mine. Had a treat hidden under a cone(idea was to sniff it out and indicate which one it was under) but we've done so much targeting that he came over sat in front of the cones batted each one over with his paw, found the treat and swiftly gobbled it up! Was trying to set it up again, hadn't even put anything under them and he knocked them all over again! So now it's back to the drawing board

Was it your terrier that knocked over the cones? I have a puzzle feeder that the others will use and it's great. My terrier lifts the entire thing up, dumps it upside down and just eats all the food...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Was it your terrier that knocked over the cones? I have a puzzle feeder that the others will use and it's great. My terrier lifts the entire thing up, dumps it upside down and just eats all the food...

Depends on the puzzle feeders in ours...Mr C noses & paws the wobbler. Walks & licks the kong while Esmae lies down & tries to pick hers up while on her back. She also likes the gyro thing as she takes it to her bed and paws it like a cat...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I have an 8 year old king Charles who is completely gone off food at the mo. Dropped a kilo in the last month. Allergic to beef, chicken, turkey and lamb. Any idea what food to give her. We were boiling plain white fish for a while, but she seems bored of that now too. Originally had her on pd duck and rice. But I think it's too hard for her to digest now.

Choc Chip wrote:

Yes it was my Terrier....how could you guess haha! That scenario sounds familiar in our house too!

beertons wrote: »
    I have an 8 year old king Charles who is completely gone off food at the mo. Dropped a kilo in the last month. Allergic to beef, chicken, turkey and lamb. Any idea what food to give her. We were boiling plain white fish for a while, but she seems bored of that now too. Originally had her on pd duck and rice. But I think it's too hard for her to digest now.

Have you had her checked at the vet?
    Not eating at all?
    If shes ALLERGIC to beef, chicken, turkey and lamb, thats a tricky one - what are the symptoms of her allergy?

If you have had her checked at the vet, and she is indeed allergic to all these meats, you will have to find an alternative diet - in the meantime have you tried her with eggs - scrambled are good, add a bit of cheese. Tinned fish is quite tasty - and good too - sardines, salmon, you could boil some brown rice, and mix in a tin of fish, add some finely chopped veggies etc.

Dogs can survive on a vegetarian diet :

TOP 5: Best Vegetarian Dog Food and Best Vegan Dog Food
    1 Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Formula.
    2 V-Dog Vegan Kibble Dry Dog Food.
    3 Nature's Recipe Healthy Skin Vegetarian Recipe Adult Dog Food.
    4 Purina HA Hypoallergenic Vegetarian Dog Food.
    5 Halo Vegan Garden Medley Stew for Dogs.

This is interesting:

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnuggets/jcoates/2014/jan/can-dogs-stay-healthy-on-a-vegetarian-diet-31188

Watched my oldest cat, at least 14, playing with the youngsters. Stalking, creeping up, then POW! Wonderful sight.

Planning waaaay ahead.. airbnb booked for halloween night. It's just too stressful and exhausting for everyone - both dogs and humans!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Guys looking for some advice on what I can post here please.

15 years ago on mother's day I bought my mother a westie

He was put to sleep yesterday having been her best friend for 15 years

Anyway she's heartbroken. I believe a dog is a great companion.

I'd like to get her a dog in a little bit, but she wouldn't be able for a pup as she is elderly

Ideally I'd get her a placid dog between 4 and 7 years old

I don't want to open a can of worms, but she won't want or be able for a dog with a lot of baggage so nothing with a child free alert on it, or single dog home, even though it would be a single dog home

A couple of years ago my friends mam took in a little dog who's owner became sick and couldn't look after him.

He'd some adjusting to do but went from one good home to another. That's the type of situation that would suit the dog and owner best here.

Can I post asking to see how to find such a dog here ? Or look for advice.

I have looked on <snip>. There was one suitable dog but he was reserved.

Planning waaaay ahead.. airbnb booked for halloween night. It's just too stressful and exhausting for everyone - both dogs and humans!

We seriously considered doing the same, but given we have them going for 6-7 weeks before and after :( I can’t see us being able to go away for that long.

How did Baily do with the mutt muffs?

em_cat wrote: »
    We seriously considered doing the same, but given we have them going for 6-7 weeks before and after :( I can’t see us being able to go away for that long.

How did Baily do with the mutt muffs?

Same here. I'm sure last year they started in August :( and it was awful the closer it got to Halloween but I wasn't prepared for how bad it was on the 31st! One thing that went off was 20-30 bangs in a row and he was so afraid! And then they were going off well into the night and I had to keep getting up to him.

The muffs were no use on Halloween but worked wonders on New Years when I secured them with vet wrap... But I wouldn't risk it for Halloween. OMG the thought of it :( not being able to get him out for an evening walk for months and him afraid to even go out to the loo!

Stoner wrote: »

I'd like to get her a dog in a little bit, but she wouldn't be able for a pup as she is elderly

Ideally I'd get her a placid dog between 4 and 7 years old

You might be better posting in a separate thread, but if you get contacting rescues there'll be an abundance of that type of dog. The smallies go quicker, as do certain breeds, but if you're flexible as to the breed of dog and stick to specific qualities, you'll have an influx of options.

P.S. We can't name specific rescues on thread so ask for PMs if you start a new thread. :)

• Advertisement

Same here. I'm sure last year they started in August :( and it was awful the closer it got to Halloween but I wasn't prepared for how bad it was on the 31st! One thing that went off was 20-30 bangs in a row and he was so afraid! And then they were going off well into the night and I had to keep getting up to him.

The muffs were no use on Halloween but worked wonders on New Years when I secured them with vet wrap... But I wouldn't risk it for Halloween. OMG the thought of it :( not being able to get him out for an evening walk for months and him afraid to even go out to the loo!

We’ve been trying to increase mr c’s tolerance to them but like last year they are probably going to be louder & longer than last year. Same here, got some vet wrap too for mr c’s and that worked better to secure them and worked well for New Years, we still have to use Sileo though as he is so terrified of them.

I know what you mean, once last year he had a very upset tummy because of the stress and ran out to go & a barrage of them went off so he had issues pooping outside for a while.

em_cat wrote: »
    We’ve been trying to increase mr c’s tolerance to them but like last year they are probably going to be louder & longer than last year. Same here, got some vet wrap too for mr c’s and that worked better to secure them and worked well for New Years, we still have to use Sileo though as he is so terrified of them.

I know what you mean, once last year he had a very upset tummy because of the stress and ran out to go & a barrage of them went off so he had issues pooping outside for a while.

my old collie was like that; thunder and those dratted crowbangers

It is cold here today but three of my cats have it sorted.

They are together atop my bed. The oldest of my cats has his head neatly tucked between the heads of two younger..... hotheads.

neat...

Am just back in from a quick walk as there's dark clouds rolling in. Had both dogs with me, one either side. As we passed a group of teenage boys one of them bent down to rub Bella, didn't ask or hesitate just seemed to think it was perfectly acceptable to do. He had a gear bag on which slid around his shoulder and frightened the crap out of her so she jumped and backed away. The rest of the group thought her reaction was hilarious so began kicking stones and stamping feet to try and scare her again. Thankfully she can shake things off pretty quickly and they didn't get their wanted reaction but I'm so flipping annoyed. Absolute idiots!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

That's awful. You really would wonder what goes through people's heads!

Milo just had some round mince and mashed potato. I'm making cottage pie. He's a happy dog :D

Bells21 wrote: »
    Am just back in from a quick walk as there's dark clouds rolling in. Had both dogs with me, one either side. As we passed a group of teenage boys one of them bent down to rub Bella, didn't ask or hesitate just seemed to think it was perfectly acceptable to do. He had a gear bag on which slid around his shoulder and frightened the crap out of her so she jumped and backed away. The rest of the group thought her reaction was hilarious so began kicking stones and stamping feet to try and scare her again. Thankfully she can shake things off pretty quickly and they didn't get their wanted reaction but I'm so flipping annoyed. Absolute idiots!!!

I had similar last year passing the shop on our road ..some guy approached and towered over Bailey going to pet him and freaked him out so he strarted to bark.. rather than back off the guy started waving his arms / dancing bending over B ... Kids were howling with laughter and I couldn’t get past as their bikes were all on the ground and there was parked cars around so we were kind of trapped.. Kept asking the guy to back off as he was freaking B out and well I ended up being less polite and he stepped aside. Since then Lucy does like to pass the shop if there’s a crowd outside :(

tk123 wrote:
    I had similar last year passing the shop on our road ..some guy approached and towered over Bailey going to pet him and freaked him out so he strarted to bark.. rather than back off the guy started waving his arms / dancing bending over B ... Kids were howling with laughter and I couldn’t get past as their bikes were all on the ground and there was parked cars around so we were kind of trapped.. Kept asking the guy to back off as he was freaking B out and well I ended up being less polite and he stepped aside. Since then Lucy does like to pass the shop if there’s a crowd outside

Poor Bailey. Thankfully my other lad was well away from them, on the other side of me, we've been doing so well lately I wouldn't want something like that to set him back. Fair play to you for standing up for your puppers!

That stinks Bells, we’ve a heap of drug dealing types here and funny enough they are the ones who stand up for Mr C when the little scrotes stamp and fling about trying to get a rise out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I've been sleep deprived lately, largely because I've had a cluster headache for 48 hours so I haven't been getting proper deep sleep...

...I had a dream last night I made a post where I was trying to incite violence on Boards. I remember in the dream thinking "jeez... my response was a bit intense, why did I do that?" Haha. Hopefully I get to sleep tonight.

Also, I need to try and figure out which one of my 7 animals has started peeing in the shower.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

VonVix wrote: »

Also, I need to try and figure out which one of my 7 animals has started peeing in the shower.

Can't stop laughing at the thought of one of them climbing in the shower to pee - mine avoid any hint of a bath at all costs!

Advertisement