Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

The mind boggles!!

That's so frustrating tk! :(

I was just on the Greenway with the dogs and someone had left mostly unopened roses all along the grass verge at regular intervals and some on top of poles. What the heck? A child maybe but how would they reach the poles unless it was an older child who should have more cop on?

I had no pockets and a limited number of poop bags so I had to wait until the dogs were all pooped out and then start gathering. I got a whole bag full but there's still loads.

I'm just worried about the little animals eating them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Merry Christmas to you all and your furred, feathered and scaley family members. Enjoy your day. :)

May all our "animal companions" be happy! And us too; blessings for Christmas from.... Boycat, Jacob, Bella, Selkie and Smudge... safe and free on a tiny island..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Happy Christmas everyone!

EUREKA!

Heard the sound of running water, leaped out of bed to find one of the new cats on the litter tray having a really good pee!

These were street cats and training them has been arduous, especially the boy. The day I caught him peeing on my pillow.. and earlier, he was starting to water my wellie...

So has been a case of watching and offering them OUTSDE if they are looking that way

They sleep in the kitchen, door closed and perforce use a tray in there.

Made my morning!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Overheard today, said by someone describing their black mutt as half bichon half Westie - "only Scottish Westies are white"

A whole new level of stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Overheard today, said by someone describing their black mutt as half bichon half Westie - "only Scottish Westies are white"

A whole new level of stupid.

Wonder if it was breeder marketing...

On a stupid note, I recently heard someone advise giving onion gravy to a Bichon with IBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

We had a Westie for years, I don't know how many times people commented 'oh it's a white Scottie dog'!

• Advertisement

Bells21 wrote: »
    We had a Westie for years, I don't know how many times people commented 'oh it's a white Scottie dog'!

I wouldn't mind but they don't even look alike in anyway. Totally different shape, different face etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Ugh, just brought back one of my dog's from the vet, I hate seeing his range of motion being tested, particularly his neck! Felt so bad for him. It looked so unnnatural.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

VonVix wrote: »
    Ugh, just brought back one of my dog's from the vet, I hate seeing his range of motion being tested, particularly his neck! Felt so bad for him. It looked so unnnatural.

Oh hope he’s ok!

Lucy was actually in for a checkup last week... everything was fine - I think a change for the vet as she’d be dealing with dogs in pain where Lucy has full range everywhere. She was licking the vet and giving the paw lol.. unlike her bro who was giving death threats a few days before :rolleyes: still hasn’t forgiven her for giving him and injection in the bumbum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

tk123 wrote: »
    Oh hope he’s ok!

Lucy was actually in for a checkup last week... everything was fine - I think a change for the vet as she’d be dealing with dogs in pain where Lucy has full range everywhere. She was licking the vet and giving the paw lol.. unlike her bro who was giving death threats a few days before :rolleyes: still hasn’t forgiven her for giving him and injection in the bumbum!

He had a bad limp for nearly 4 days (over the Christmas period, of course), and the day he goes to the vet he is basically all back to normal. :p I still brought him to the vet regardless (my boys are my pride and joy on top of me being an overprotective owner). He got a week's worth of anti inflammatories and a month's worth of love and affection squeezed into an hour after his ordeal with the vet manhandling him! :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

My cats are furious with me and one of them is racing loudly up and down on the roof ( demountable dwelling ie a glorified mobile home so the roof is aluminium and not soundproof.. :eek:

Smudgie was yelling to be let in and when I opened the door he raced in followed by the other 4 cats - with something in his mouth.

I realised it was alive so made him drop it, whereupon Jacob grabbed it so I grabbed him. I will not let them maul even a rat.

Made HIM drop it; then ejected the lot of them... It is a bird, very much alive, bright eyes... safe in a small box in a dark cool room until the cats are in this evening.

Hopefully it will be fine; I think maybe a wren but was not about to stress it by checking too much.

Graces7 wrote: »
    My cats are furious with me and one of them is racing loudly up and down on the roof ( demountable dwelling ie a glorified mobile home so the roof is aluminium and not soundproof.. :eek:

Smudgie was yelling to be let in and when I opened the door he raced in followed by the other 4 cats - with something in his mouth.

I realised it was alive so made him drop it, whereupon Jacob grabbed it so I grabbed him. I will not let them maul even a rat.

Made HIM drop it; then ejected the lot of them... It is a bird, very much alive, bright eyes... safe in a small box in a dark cool room until the cats are in this evening.

Hopefully it will be fine; I think maybe a wren but was not about to stress it by checking too much.

Very happy to report that when I went outside to a large fuchsia bush and opened the box ,the bird erupted out and flew away . wonderful to see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I'm on my holidays abroad. I'm near a load of forests that allow dogs off-lead (under control). I've barely had to leash my german shepherd for the past week and we're out in woodland every day for hours.

People out walking sometimes smile at her, and if they talk to her she sometimes goes over for a rub.

It's SO NICE!!! :)

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I'm on my holidays abroad. I'm near a load of forests that allow dogs off-lead (under control). I've barely had to leash my german shepherd for the past week and we're out in woodland every day for hours.

People out walking sometimes smile at her, and if they talk to her she sometimes goes over for a rub.

It's SO NICE!!! :)

Ohh that sounds so nice...

Hope all have a peaceful & happy paws New Years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Our vets have posters in their surgeries (we have 2 vets we visit) - typical anti-dog-obesity type charts. Blah Blah Blah - our dogs get treats, we feel guilt but being softies our dogs a bit plump, but hey....

DISGUSTED to go into the vet the other day to see an anti-CAT-obesity type poster :rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D One of the cats is fat (1 very uninterested in food) - so the chart lists stuff like
    1x of cheese = equivalent of 1 doughnut
    1x of yogurt = equivalent of 1.5 doughnuts
    1X of ham = equivalent of 2 doughnuts
    etc
    I had just given our FAT cat, a spoon of yoghurt and a slice of ham before I left the house!!! oh the SHAME!!!!!!

• Advertisement

yeah i remember our old vets used to have one and it was in hamburgers - they're moving with the times and using doughnuts now lol :p. My two have lost weight since i switched from minces to chunks because i'm cutting the fat off the tripe - my dad keeps saying they're too skinny but vet is happy with them. She said at most she'd put 1kg on Lucy but their weight goes up and down so i'll leave their portions as they are for now and weigh again in a few months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Lol - that's brilliant! My dogs aren't too bad right now, but only because I'm measuring food stringently for the wee one. Literally yesterday:

I put wormer on food:
    GSDx and foster lurcher are a bit suspicious of their dinner and eat it slowly and carefully.
    Border terrier bolts his food as fast as possible from supposed slow feeder. I open the door when everyone is done and he races out, sticks his paw in the next bowl to hold it still, and licks round the bottom and sides in case anything is left (spoiler alert: the leftovers were tiny smears of wormer). Rinse and repeat with the second bowl.

He is a glutton.

oooooooh :mad: Somebody has shared one of these 'It's not ok to let your dog approach others' posts on the local FB page like everyone else is a terrible owner... Her dog has tried to attack my two when they were on lead and HE was off on more than one occasion and he's that reactive that he should be kept on lead and muzzled for everyone's safety :mad: I'm so tempted to reply. The other evening I saw her up ahead with the dog (she had her back to me) I had to go into somebody's driveway until she crossed at the lights because Lucy won't walk past him!

EDIT - Well that backfired on them as people are responding who's dogs were attacked by theirs!

Awh lads it's just never ending with pets. My poor mam was minding Milo for literally half and hour and the fecker stole a chicken kiev she was about to put in the oven. She's up the walls with worry but I rang our vet who said he'll be grand. Will keep an eye on him.

jellybear wrote: »
    Awh lads it's just never ending with pets. My poor mam was minding Milo for literally half and hour and the fecker stole a chicken kiev she was about to put in the oven. She's up the walls with worry but I rang our vet who said he'll be grand. Will keep an eye on him.

Naughty Milo, hope he doesn’t feel too poorly later :)

em_cat wrote: »
    Naughty Milo, hope he doesn’t feel too poorly later :)

We're preparing for a stinky night ahead!!

We're preparing for a stinky night ahead!!

Ohhh how I know those only too well :) We had to get an air purifier in the sales earlier this year between the piggies & Mr C’s picky gut I just couldn’t take it anymore!

One of my new cats is a crafty one. I left a chicken defrosting in the closed microwave thinking it would be safe from her .. came into the kitchen next morning to find the breastless chicken on the floor...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Graces7 wrote:
    .. came into the kitchen next morning to find the breastless chicken on the floor...
    I may be sleep deprived but when I read that sentence I had a picture of a chicken covering it's boob-less chest with its wings in my head !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Graces7 wrote: »
    One of my new cats is a crafty one. I left a chicken defrosting in the closed microwave thinking it would be safe from her .. came into the kitchen next morning to find the breastless chicken on the floor...

that's actually an excellent idea. I usually leave out chicken breasts to defrost in a bowl with a plate on top. I'm always worried our cat will have a go at getting into it. She wouldn't go near the microwave.

Advertisement