Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

aonb wrote: »
    Question for cat experts: we've been adopted by a third cat - in the process of taming her - shes a sweetheart... Question is whether I can do something to prevent rescue #2 (ex-feral) from bullying the newcomer? She chases the new cat off the property every chance she gets. Can I "chastise" a cat for unwanted behaviour????? :D I shout at the bully if she starts throwing shapes or I stand between her and the new arrival before anything escalates. Ive stroked the bully while the new one is around, and will take her in for food etc. Ive stroked the new arrival while the bully is around to show (hah!) that I think shes welcome... I can leave them to work it out themselves, but I dont want any injuries (to either) and I dont want #2 to drive the new one away permanently.

There are some cats who, like us, are just never going to get on. Oliver, one of the last intake, has taken exception to Jacob who is rightly terrified of him, and there is nothing to be done except when they are in the house allow them space. It may be Jacob reminds him of a cat in his past life? Rescues are such an unknown quantity.
    I was on the phone y;day when Oliver came in and caught sight pf Jacob and his expression was murderous. Oliver is a rumbustious teenager and has been trained to obey when I say " OUT". I yelled "OUT OF MY HOUSE!" and he went and stood by the door..
    Came back in later for a cuddle. lol..

OP cats are very territorial and it is early days yet there? Let time pass?

Ferals and rescues are even more territorial than home raised cats; they have had to be to survive. So different rules apply..It is at base how the cats are with you? YOU are their lynch pin. This is not like introducing in a non feral way! Needs time and patience as it is here with these two. I think you are doing all you can for now; let time pass and don't rush it. Bravo! It is food that matters most now for the outdoor folk.

It is blowing a gale out here …. I like to know where all my cats are ( I know; fussy owner! ) so when the tide flowed in seeking food I did a headcount... One short; where is Boycat?

Called and called at the door, then ventured out in the melee; Tonto endangering life and limb by wrapping round my ankles... Went to the gate... No Boycat.... OK: I will HAVEto venture to the ocean facing back... Deep breath... Called loud and long.... No Boycat…

Just as I was turning away? There he was, snug in the grassy bed atop the ruined cowshed, gazing soulfully out to sea like an old mariner. No thank you, he said when I offered him chicken... He looked totally at ease and comfy. They always know the best places... The wind is from the southwest and where he is faces north and east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kattunge

Graces7 wrote: »
    AAAARRRGGGHHH!

SOMEONE peed in my shoe. I needed the bathroom in the night and when I pushed my foot in... YUKK!

There was only one cat in..

This post made me smile - we’ve all been there Graces. I’m currently rescuing a family of cats (Mum & two kitties) and they have captured my heart. We were doing great with the toileting until my pet store ran out of the cat litter I (or they) had been using. They rejected the prettier perfumed pink cat litter and having cleaned up the mess, I went straight to town to get the trusted litter. Rookie mistake on my part. Your cat looks dotey!

Kattunge wrote: »
    This post made me smile - we’ve all been there Graces. I’m currently rescuing a family of cats (Mum & two kitties) and they have captured my heart. We were doing great with the toileting until my pet store ran out of the cat litter I (or they) had been using. They rejected the prettier perfumed pink cat litter and having cleaned up the mess, I went straight to town to get the trusted litter. Rookie mistake on my part. Your cat looks dotey!

lol... I am blessed in that there is wild space outside and unless in dire straits they go outside. There is a large washing up bowl near the door with turf ash therein and they do use that at need, but that is rare. They ask OUT. But that time as I was fast asleep...Most of mine were street cats and trays are alien..

Lovely is rescuing.. I have six such altogether. Each different, each a part of my heart.

Not well this last time and at a loose end re knitting. So I decided to make some catnip toys.. Drawstring sachets filled with some I got from Fred's Catnip Farm, then knitted a furry mohair yarn ball..

I offered it to the newbies,,, not much reaction. then threw it into the hall and forgot it

Wondered why sedate old Jacob was rolling around the floor! Sheer ecstasy! The others looked at him as if he were crazy but he had a ball! Made me chuckle, and you know what they say about laughter being the best medicine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My three cats are gone off on their holidays for a week. I always worry dropping them off somewhere new, especially with peach and cream being older and even more so now since cream has started to develop seizures. But when we got to the cattery, after an hour of listening to moose sing to us in the car and a quick pit stop to clean out the carrier after peach being sick, they hopped straight out of their carriers and acted like they were at home.
    Peach was straight up to the bed she slept in the last time, moose was strutting around as if he owned the place until another cat hissed at him, and I even got some kisses from cream before we departed.
    I always worry when I’m away from them (thanks anxiety) but even after not being there for a year they still seemed so happy to be back in the cattery. It really helps knowing we’ve chosen the right place for them.

My three cats are gone off on their holidays for a week. I always worry dropping them off somewhere new, especially with peach and cream being older and even more so now since cream has started to develop seizures. But when we got to the cattery, after an hour of listening to moose sing to us in the car and a quick pit stop to clean out the carrier after peach being sick, they hopped straight out of their carriers and acted like they were at home.
    Peach was straight up to the bed she slept in the last time, moose was strutting around as if he owned the place until another cat hissed at him, and I even got some kisses from cream before we departed.
    I always worry when I’m away from them (thanks anxiety) but even after not being there for a year they still seemed so happy to be back in the cattery. It really helps knowing we’ve chosen the right place for them.

So glad they settled. We all suffer from AMS; Anxious Mum Syndrome , on such occasions.

Enjoy YOUR week ;)

Boycat, my huge furry one, has become a therapy cat; I am abed and he has tucked himself gently under my very sore knees.. Bliss!

Just eaten my Sunday dinner, my one big meal of the week, with three pairs of covetous and reproachful eyes following every mouthful.

And yes, they had been fed!

Boycat would get the world record for not blinking. This is " the stare"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

So Sybil had an accident a few weeks back and popped her knee out, we tried meds and rest but it turned out she has an issue (luxating patella)and it keeps popping out. Vet was very surprised as she's a medium sized dog and it's very rare in what he referred to as a straight legged dog. From asking around and speaking to her breeder it seems unheard of in her breed, so after realising how bad it was, she couldn't run and even walking to the end of the road it popped out, or playing in the garden, we decided to have the op the vet offered.
    I'm on day 5 of sleeping on the sofa with her in an old baby playpen (thankfully I'm not working at the moment), she's been so good (once she got the cone off and then broke my inflatable one) and hasn't touched wound, and doesn't mind being carried in and out to pee.
    5 more days until stitches come out and we can let her loose in the house, then the slow rehab starts. I'll be glad to get out walking again even if only for short walks.

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    So Sybil had an accident a few weeks back and popped her knee out, we tried meds and rest but it turned out she has an issue (luxating patella)and it keeps popping out. Vet was very surprised as she's a medium sized dog and it's very rare in what he referred to as a straight legged dog. From asking around and speaking to her breeder it seems unheard of in her breed, so after realising how bad it was, she couldn't run and even walking to the end of the road it popped out, or playing in the garden, we decided to have the op the vet offered.
    I'm on day 5 of sleeping on the sofa with her in an old baby playpen (thankfully I'm not working at the moment), she's been so good (once she got the cone off and then broke my inflatable one) and hasn't touched wound, and doesn't mind being carried in and out to pee.
    5 more days until stitches come out and we can let her loose in the house, then the slow rehab starts. I'll be glad to get out walking again even if only for short walks.

((HUGS)) , and look after YOU too please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Graces7 wrote: »
    ((HUGS)) , and look after YOU too please.

I'm good thanks, started college today, Sybil is doing well, wanting to get out and walk around a little.
    Good day so far

The first really cold morning out here. It really is chill..

Who opined that dogs give you exercise and cats do not? My felines take it in turns to ask in and out... I am still much abed so that is five times up and to the door... lol..

Just Selkie in with me now; she has her own strange "routine" whereas the others just fly around out there. She prefers to be inside. it is her ancestry of part Oriental.

Stinkertom keeps trying to muscle in but between Oliver and I ? Not a chance!

Hoping all are warm and safe out there..

I just had to take my Newfie's special cushion off him because he was ripping a hole in it. It's a big floor cushion we got for him in Aldi. We're there going "Don't rip it Frasier! That's not what it's for!". Should I mention what's it's actually for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Too funny, Esmae has a special teddy for her love buddy, that’s what it’s called. It’s nearly twice her size but she loves it, carry’s it’s with her to bed, onto the sofa and outside. Not to mention, I’ve carried out trauma surgery numerous times on him...

GOTCHA!

Just caught Oliver as he was mounting the coal bucket with clear intent to anoint it; either knowing I could see him clearly or just plain stooopid.

The bucket is right by the door so he has some sense..

There is no …. aroma...to match cat-peed-coal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kattunge

Just in the door from what can only be described as a piggy in the middle walk - one dog wanted to go further, the other wanted to go back. Cats have the right idea napping in their beds. Hope all pets are safe and sound in this miserable weather.

Lost a message to the boards gremlin; sorry.

No idea where 5 of my 6 cats are. Not in their beds though! "Strong gale " out here and sheeting down but not cold.

stay safe.. tomorrow will be a better day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I just had to take my Newfie's special cushion off him because he was ripping a hole in it. It's a big floor cushion we got for him in Aldi. We're there going "Don't rip it Frasier! That's not what it's for!". Should I mention what's it's actually for?

If we're on the same page... no? :pac:

My terrier has one for that and it finally bit the dust this year (he is 7) after a lot of repairs. He loves a teddy about 5 times bigger than himself to wrestle into position and bite down and.... "cuddle" then fall asleep. :D:D

(I may have immediately bought him a new one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Choc Chip wrote: »
    If we're on the same page... no? :pac:

My terrier has one for that and it finally bit the dust this year (he is 7) after a lot of repairs. He loves a teddy about 5 times bigger than himself to wrestle into position and bite down and.... "cuddle" then fall asleep. :D:D

(I may have immediately bought him a new one)

The funny thing is it’s the Pom Pom that ''special'' hugs her teddy, not Mr C, he'll take it and gnaw on an ear but won’t use it for anything else. It’s very funny because she tosses it, throws it around, gives it a special hug then sleeps on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My dog turned 16 years and 6 months old today. I honestly doubt he will make it to 17.

But he is honestly doing fine despite his hearing not what it used to be and down one eye ball and about 25% sight left in his one and only eye. His walks into things fairly frequently and sometimes if he is out the back for a while and I start to wonder what he is doing I would go out and find him just standing at the gap between the fence and conservatory and I would have to guide him back into the house.

My dog turned 16 years and 6 months old today. I honestly doubt he will make it to 17.

But he is honestly doing fine despite his hearing not what it used to be and down one eye ball and about 25% sight left in his one and only eye. His walks into things fairly frequently and sometimes if he is out the back for a while and I start to wonder what he is doing I would go out and find him just standing at the gap between the fence and conservatory and I would have to guide him back into the house.

My collie went blind too; so heartaching to see it.

All hopes for the next while.

Well, loud cat squabble outside which means Stinkertom is around. Too tired to shout then I saw the old dog whistle hanging by the door... WOW! Instant stunned silence..

NB My nearest neighbours are five fields away.. ;)

My cats were fighting in the street. It went on too long so decided to go out and sort it. The three of them were at a neighbours house, wailing and roaring at a cat who i know lives on the road around the corner. When he saw me he started walking off. My three were all suddenly Mel Gibson in Braveheart and started running behind me like "Yeah! You run away! This is our street!" So when he meowed and strolled over to me, rubbed against my legs, this wasn't part of the plan! I felt awful but I ran him. Same lad tried to move in with me last year when he was a kitten. My three were sitting by the door going "You sent him away? Right?"

Got a lovely surprise today, I was spying on the people doing roadworks outside my house today and noticed they had a Rottie with them. We went out to see if we could say hello to her and she came bounding up to us full of licks, cuddles and giving big muddy paws to us. I may work with dogs all day every day but getting an extra surprise cuddle from an unexpected dog is always a huge bonus in my book :D

The post-gale silence is broken by Jacob snoring... I was roused from blissful slumber by a pounding on the door and howling.. Tonto demanding food.

It gets quite busy here ;)

Got a lovely surprise today, I was spying on the people doing roadworks outside my house today and noticed they had a Rottie with them. We went out to see if we could say hello to her and she came bounding up to us full of licks, cuddles and giving big muddy paws to us. I may work with dogs all day every day but getting an extra surprise cuddle from an unexpected dog is always a huge bonus in my book :D

I am not even sure why Rotties are on "the list". I have never seen one in use as a working dog and they've only ever been slobbery cuddles to me. The other dogs on the list I might say ok.. my experience with a Staffie was great until she got I to a neighbours garden and killed their dog. But Rotties I have never heard not seen a thing about.

FEEDING FRENZY!

The cats are desperately hungry with the colder weather, and mobbed me as I was cutting up the raw chicken joints..

You would think they had never been fed, ever... and Oliver wolfed his, then went round stealing - or trying to... When I opened the door to evict him, Tonto who had already devoured his piece, sped in and stole Boycat's. I mean, stealing off a pensioner-cat !

I grabbed him by the scruff until he dropped it, growling, then evicted HIM....

COFFEE!

And the silence now!

I am not even sure why Rotties are on "the list". I have never seen one in use as a working dog and they've only ever been slobbery cuddles to me. The other dogs on the list I might say ok.. my experience with a Staffie was great until she got I to a neighbours garden and killed their dog. But Rotties I have never heard not seen a thing about.

They really do have such an unwarranted bad name. Granted, they are very strong and I wouldn’t want to see one in the wrong hands, but any I have met have just been big lovable idiots. The one I posted about yesterday came into the garden again today, up to the door of my grooming parlour and waited patiently for me to come out and love on her some more. I think I’m going to end up getting a rottie at some stage :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’m going to end up getting a rottie at some stage :pac:

Don't you say this about every breed?!?:pac::pac:

Advertisement