Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Has anybody seen a list all "the most-successful table arcade unit of the year" from Japanese magazine "Game Machine".

I see it mentioned on wiki pages a bit on games I had not heard of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramble_Formation
    In Japan, Game Machine listed Tokio on their May 15, 1986 issue as being the most-successful table arcade unit of the year.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Commando
    In Japan, Game Machine listed Captain Commando on their December 1, 1991 issue as being the most-successful table arcade unit of the year, outperforming titles such as Street Fighter II: The World Warrior and WWF WrestleFest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Swordsman
    In Japan, Game Machine listed Great Swordsman on their September 1, 1984 issue as being the most-successful table arcade unit of the year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Ninja
    In Japan, Game Machine listed Sega Ninja on their May 1, 1985 issue as being the most-successful table arcade unit of the year.

I can see a list of highest grossing but would be interested in seeing stuff I have not heard of before.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_game#List_of_highest-grossing_games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Gradius wrote: »
    I actually quite liked altered beast. Interesting about the pressure buttons. I got a pneumatic Street fighter game which is quite weird looking.

Street fighter came out in 1987, altered beast in 1988. I wonder did Sega get the idea off Capcom? Maybe Capcom owned the patent, who knows.

Okay so curiosity got the better of me, had to try out the pneumatic controls. It didn't work very well, like every 20th attempt at blowing registered.

IMG-20200820-145042-4.jpg

Here are the magic inputs here...

IMG-20200820-145117-0.jpg

I'm maybe the only person in the world to play Street fighter using hot air, and there's something very satisfying about that in a "what am I doing with my life" kind of way.

Now, some more practice is needed to achieve that Zen state of skill...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,476 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How did I not know this was a thing????

Okay so curiosity got the better of me, had to try out the pneumatic controls. It didn't work very well, like every 20th attempt at blowing registered.
    I remember they had one of these in Bray and it used to get an awful hammering.

Am I right in thinking it effectively gives you the same moves and strength as the 6 buttons? i.e. push the punch or kick button lightly, medium or strongly and it acts like it would with 6 buttons.

I remember at the time hearing people talking about it like it was a one of those punching machines, so people had it in their head that if you absolutely hammered the button then it would take more energy off your opponent.

1280px-Streetfighter_Console.jpg
    https://crappygames.miraheze.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_(1987)
    Early deluxe cabinets of the game used a control scheme that gave each player a pair of pressure-sensitive "punch pads" that they had to hit harder to carry out stronger attacks. While this might have sounded neat and innovative, in practice this version of the game was impractical due to the cabinets beginning to break down over time and was quickly replaced by the more conventional six-button system that would be carried over to Street Fighter II and beyond.
    There were accounts of people injuring themselves while playing on these cabinets.
    It is a little-known fact that Atari had actually developed the deluxe cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

rubadub wrote: »
    I remember they had one of these in Bray and it used to get an awful hammering.

Am I right in thinking it effectively gives you the same moves and strength as the 6 buttons? i.e. push the punch or kick button lightly, medium or strongly and it acts like it would with 6 buttons.

I remember at the time hearing people talking about it like it was a one of those punching machines, so people had it in their head that if you absolutely hammered the button then it would take more energy off your opponent.

Yeah, light, medium or heavy attacks depending on pressure applied. Later cabs ditched the pneumatics for the 6 button layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

haha, i have images in my head now of lads absolutely hammering the **** of the machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

After exhausting my lungs, it seems maybe one of the pneumatic buttons isn't working, but then again it's a really wonky "test" I'm doing :p

Using the test screen (which overall is one of the most thorough I've ever seen in a game) you can see the difference in how hard you blow. It's funny! Unsure what those "vr" pots do, sensitivity maybe?

The game works fine without the pneumatics anyway, just button controls. But it's a rare thing to find the pneumatic board as very quickly they removed the option once people probably started breaking wrists and fingers on the thing.

So maybe that's what they had in mind for altered beast?

IMG-20200820-155929-8.jpg

IMG-20200820-160754-4.jpg

But that's enough of that anyway before this happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I see shinobi was ported to the megadrive
    It is the same guy that did the sonic demo, he also was working on a Street fighter port.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Inviere

^^ I haven't watched the videos yet, but how is he porting them? Is he decompiling them, does he have the source code, or using voodoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

13 more games announced for Sega's Astro City Mini.......no surprises really

Announced 20th Aug 2020:

Bonanza Bros
    Columns
    Cotton
    Crack Down
    ESWAT
    Gain Ground
    Ichidant-R
    Puyo Puyo
    Shadow Dancer
    Shinobi
    Wonder Boy
    Wonder Boy in Monster Land
    Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

Already announced:

Alien Syndrome
    Alien Storm
    Golden Axe
    Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
    Columns II
    Dark Edge
    Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
    Virtua Fighter
    Fantasy Zone
    Altered Beast

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

good stuff there all the same but would have been nice to have gotten more surprises and model 1/2 stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Inviere wrote: »
    ^^ I haven't watched the videos yet, but how is he porting them? Is he decompiling them, does he have the source code, or using voodoo?
    From a quick look, seems the SF1 hardware is quite close to the MD/Genesis hardware so maybe source/code hacking voodoo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So Hot Take about a game people love:

So watching to a few Kim Justice videos lately and Kim loves Columns.

IMO Columns is a boring puzzle game and there's far better out there. The gem matching is basic and the combo potential is there but so limited and difficult to pull off that it's not worth it.

Ultimately it's not a patch on tetris. And even worse is that Puyo Puyo exists which is columns but fun and with depth. It's a much better take on the columns formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Retr0gamer wrote: »

IMO Columns is a boring puzzle game and there's far better out there. The gem matching is basic and the combo potential is there but so limited and difficult to pull off that it's not worth it.

Ultimately it's not a patch on tetris. And even worse is that Puyo Puyo exists which is columns but fun and with depth. It's a much better take on the columns formula.

My thoughts exactly, theres much better options, dr robotniks mean bean/puyo puyo was miles ahead of it between the soundtrack and better gameplay

Master of the Universe

Columns is absolutely rubbish. I even thought it was rubbish back when the Megadrive was still in production - once you'd played Tetris at the time there was no going back.

I remember having Tetris Blast/Super Bombliss for my Gameboy and it literally blew things like Columns out of the water in the fun department.

The game works fine without the pneumatics anyway, just button controls. But it's a rare thing to find the pneumatic board as very quickly they removed the option once people probably started breaking wrists and fingers on the thing.

So maybe that's what they had in mind for altered beast?
    When I read about the altered beast thing I did not picture it being big gimmicky smash buttons like SF, just regular size. What I find strange is that they did not just add extra buttons instead, sounds like they had developed the game around it so why ditch it. Even if they wanted to stick to the 3 they could have had a 2 button simultaneous kick & punch to give another.
    He had hoped to implement the pressure-sensitive button for the Genesis port, but could not due to tight development time and the lack of the button in Genesis hardware

I found a book that goes through all the classic sega games.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-Arcade-Revolution-Horowitz-author/dp/1476672253

https://books.google.ie/books?id=eDcutAEACAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

On that link I cannot read bits about altered beast & shinobi, I could last night on another link. The head guys apparently did not like shinobi, sounded like it was possibly going to be ditched or reworked. I think the designer was new & young and some older guy spoke up for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Wow, rubadub that mega drive port of Shinobi is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Reached out to Masahiro Ito, the creature designer for Silent Hill 1-3, to see if he had any drawings, sketches or prints for sale. Unfortunately he doesn't due to copyright.

Interesting avenue to potentially go down. The lesser known talent, for lack of a better word, are generally humbled when people have an interest in their work. Might have a think about some games and see if I can track down the respective artists.

Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Reached out to Masahiro Ito, the creature designer for Silent Hill 1-3, to see if he had any drawings, sketches or prints for sale. Unfortunately he doesn't due to copyright.

Interesting avenue to potentially go down. The lesser known talent, for lack of a better word, are generally humbled when people have an interest in their work. Might have a think about some games and see if I can track down the respective artists.

A massive wall you're going to run into is the fact that Japanese concept/comic artists tend not to sell their artwork.

Japan views artwork and copywrite in that regard a bit differently. They kind of see selling original works as selling the copywrite with it too.

Hence why all the greats like Otomo and Muira are impossible to buy and if you ever get lucky enough to find one for sale, you'll need to get a second mortgage.

Only Japanese artist I've managed to get some stuff from is Toshio Maeda, but he tends to go to comic cons all over the world selling his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Both are different but good, I like tetris but also columns, I once had a game where I was in the zone and it felt so good keeping the screen from filling up with large combos at such a fast pace. Like tetris the music is the driving force and is catchy, with out the iconic gameboy music I cant play tetris as it just does not have the same feels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

o1s1n wrote: »
    A massive wall you're going to run into is the fact that Japanese concept/comic artists tend not to sell their artwork.

Japan views artwork and copywrite in that regard a bit differently. They kind of see selling original works as selling the copywrite with it too.

Hence why all the greats like Otomo and Muira are impossible to buy and if you ever get lucky enough to find one for sale, you'll need to get a second mortgage.

Only Japanese artist I've managed to get some stuff from is Toshio Maeda, but he tends to go to comic cons all over the world selling his stuff.

Good to know. Sure I'll see what happens! It never occurred to me to use social media to reach out to people but I see so many people in the entertainment business are big into engaging with the fans. It would be great to have some concept art or sketches of something. Now the question is, is there anything outside of Silent Hill that I'd be interested in pursuing...

Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Good to know. Sure I'll see what happens! It never occurred to me to use social media to reach out to people but I see so many people in the entertainment business are big into engaging with the fans. It would be great to have some concept art or sketches of something. Now the question is, is there anything outside of Silent Hill that I'd be interested in pursuing...

Check out www.comicartfans.com for some inspiration. There are some guys over there with absolutely amazing videogame art, like original painted Nintendo covers.

Most of its not Japanese though and tends to be American localisation covers of games given the problem noted above.

I still can't believe someone owns this:

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1359178

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My god, that's the worst designed site I've seen in a while.

Master of the Universe

RasTa wrote: »
    My god, that's the worst designed site I've seen in a while.

Haha, I know right??

It host some of the best comic artwork you'll ever see online, but jesus trying to use it is a nightmare.

I used to stick my stuff up for a while, but it's such a pain in the arse to do so I just stopped as it was annoying the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My sons mad into Kirby so I got a friend of mine to draw a picture for his birthday. He's pretty spectacular imo so €100 was a bargain. https://www.instagram.com/p/B2oztpQoj1X/?igshid=j76oth6eidyl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

anyone watch the High Score series on Netflix yet?

some interesting stories from different angles of the business

Master of the Universe

I was far too excited when I noticed someone had added scanlines to the animated intro - people are finally learning! :D

Watched the first couple of episodes, it's alright. Has the usual problem where they regurgitate info we've all heard a million times at this stage, but there are definitely some interesting interviews in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya its good but as Oisin's says its nothing we don't already know being the information hungry nerds we are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

I have no idea of the finer details behind this pic, but I just thought it was neat!

523947.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've been putting a lot of time into Flight Sim 2020 over the last few days. After seeing LGR's vid below i feel my setup isn't complete unless i can get this running on some crt's :)

Advertisement