Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The upcoming Sega Saturn 'Satiator' card (a FMV card bay SDCard loader) price has been announced,

260 of your American dollars. Quite a chunk more than the PlayStation PS-IO unit which is semi-similar by the way they don't just replace the drive unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

A lot of folks unhappy with him, making a decent amount on patereon for ages without much of an update then as soon as Fenir & Mode get released he's all business....

Apart from keeping the Saturn stock, unsure the benefits of Satiator over the Fenrir...apart from a lighter wallet.
    Console compatibility maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Apart from keeping the Saturn stock, unsure the benefits of Satiator over the Fenrir...apart from a lighter wallet.
    Console compatibility maybe

I think its the fact you can keep the use of the optical drive thats the main benefit. What he's done is pretty cool, but he's about 80 USD over priced on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I was just reading that he's offering his Patreon subscribers a $15 discount. That's not much of a discount for their support considering the cost of the device. It does seem very expensive at that price point, $260 plus shipping, import duty and the An Post handling fee. You're going to be left with a very expensive Saturn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

15 is pretty poor really, one guy on atari age said he was paying 25 a month to patereon for over two years.

Technically it's a great solution but I'll pass on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

This is the strangest bit of hardware Sega ever released! Even stranger than the Mega CD and 32X!
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    'I think I'll play some Wipeout'

/Find Crash Bandicoot in Wipeout box'

'Ah, it must be in the Crash Bandicoot box'

/Finds Gran Turismo in Crash Bandicoot box'

'Ah, it must be in the Gran Turismo box'

/Finds Metal Gear Solid in Gran Turismo box'

'Ah, it must be in the Metal Gear Solid box'

-> Finally finds Wipeout.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    This is the strangest bit of hardware Sega ever released! Even stranger than the Mega CD and 32X!
    :p

If you want a Lego one for some reason, the Chinese copycats have you covered!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-TOYS-GRAND-PIANIST-FITS-LEGO-IDEAS-21323-PIANO-W-BOOST-STOOL-BLUETOOTH-KIT/283807953358?epid=1640474837&hash=item421445b1ce:g:T60AAOSwV85e~0Dj

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a 60hz Mega Drive 2 that they're looking to sell on? I dont need anything other than the console itself as its for a mod I'm working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a 60hz Mega Drive 2 that they're looking to sell on? I dont need anything other than the console itself as its for a mod I'm working on.

I have spare pal ones is all. You can have one of them or does it need to be stock 60hz

The upcoming Sega Saturn 'Satiator' card (a FMV card bay SDCard loader) price has been announced,

260 of your American dollars. Quite a chunk more than the PlayStation PS-IO unit which is semi-similar by the way they don't just replace the drive unit.
    Professor Abrasive of Satiator fame has updated the Patreon backers discount for the upcoming Satiator units, it will now take into account bigger supporters to give them a larger discount...which is nice. Its now over 100% larger for myself (said the bishop to the nun)

I have spare pal ones is all. You can have one of them or does it need to be stock 60hz

Cheers, But yes ideally it would need to be stock 60hz.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Cheers, But yes ideally it would need to be stock 60hz.
    Tthe mod for a 50Hz to a 60Hz MegaDrive2 is trivial (a chip pin 5V or GND), wonder what project would need a 100% stock 60Hz console :)

Tthe mod for a 50Hz to a 60Hz MegaDrive2 is trivial (a chip pin 5V or GND), wonder what project would need a 100% stock 60Hz console :)

Ah yeah, i know. I have 5 or 6 modded Mega Drives with overclocks and all sorts of stuff. But this mod/project requires a clean system, and I only have untouched PAL machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Nintend-do what Seg-dont?

Sonic the hedgehog has been partially ported to the SNES...

No talking:

Digital Foundry analysis:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Doge wrote: »
    Nintend-do what Seg-dont?
    That makes no sense, it would have to be something like Nintend-do what Seg-do. It is by the same guy that is porting Megaman X to the Megadrive. Except for the low SNES resolution it actually looks like Sonic so fair play to the guy..

Master of the Universe

Well it is Sonic with potentially 256 colours on screen at once, opposed to the Sega version which has up to 61, so I guess that's a 'seg-dont' :D

Watched 'Game Changers Inside The Video Game Wars' last night

Some new stories I hadn't heard before

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well it is Sonic with potentially 256 colours on screen at once, opposed to the Sega version which has up to 61, so I guess that's a 'seg-dont' :D

Who was the Sega Forum (RIP) mod again....

Master of the Universe

You just wait, Sega will be back with a new console, any day now...

We'll reopen that forum and I'll be back with my loose cannon moderation style.

MV5BZDM3YjA2YzYtZTgxNy00ZTExLWJkYTMtMDYzYTUzMGEzNmVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bet you didn't even buy the new Sakura Wars game.

Sega sell out.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bet you didn't even buy the new Sakura Wars game.

Sega sell out.

I'm a Sega purist, I only play Sega games released on Sega consoles.

Anything not released on a Sega console is an abomination.

Master of the Universe

In all seriousness though, I've never played a Sakura Wars game, any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In all seriousness though, I've never played a Sakura Wars game, any good?

Me either :D I hear they are mostly dating sims but the setting is interesting and while there's a lot of dialogue it's broken up with combat so it's well paced unlike a lot of dating sims. Not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

You just wait, Sega will be back with a new console, any day now...

We'll reopen that forum and I'll be back with my loose cannon moderation style.

MV5BZDM3YjA2YzYtZTgxNy00ZTExLWJkYTMtMDYzYTUzMGEzNmVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg
    ?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see shinobi was ported to the megadrive

I always wondered why it was never made at the time. I always thought if the megadrive had been sold with shinobi bundled with it they would have done far better. I do not like altered beast and it was really offputting to see it bundled with it.

I would play altered beast in the arcade but found it very boring. I considered getting a PC engine mainly as it had shinobi and splatterhouse.

Looking up altered beast
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Beast
    Mega placed the game at #10 in their list of the 10 Worst Mega Drive Games of All Time.[
    There were planned features for the game that Uchida did not have the opportunity to implement, namely a pressure-sensitive button. Discussions took place but a deal could not be reached with the owner of the patent of the pressure-sensitive device over the small number to be ordered. The failure to secure the button meant that half of the planned character actions had to be removed. Uchida claims that the reduced complexity of the game caused by this caused players to tire of Altered Beast quickly. Despite this, Uchida was proud of the reactions he was getting from players during play testing.[1]

Altered Beast I never enjoyed either.

It does get points for having a boss that is a crocodile humping a beach ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

I actually quite liked altered beast. Interesting about the pressure buttons. I got a pneumatic Street fighter game which is quite weird looking.

Street fighter came out in 1987, altered beast in 1988. I wonder did Sega get the idea off Capcom? Maybe Capcom owned the patent, who knows.

Advertisement