Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'll never look at Qix the same way again :eek:

Master of the Universe

Heads up to anyone receiving a larger sum on PayPal, they seem to require ID and documents now to verify your identity.

I sold my second Akira tshirt this evening for a healthy sum and have been told the total is on hold for 2-4 days until they verify my ID.

Meanwhile I've someone expecting me to post it tomorrow.

**** you, PayPal!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Heads up to anyone receiving a larger sum on PayPal, they seem to require ID and documents now to verify your identity.

I sold my second Akira tshirt this evening for a healthy sum and have been told the total is on hold for 2-4 days until they verify my ID.

**** you, PayPal!

It should only take 12-24 hours to verify once they have everything. I had to send them on a bunch of stuff last year when my website started taking in a decent amount.
    I really wouldn't be sending that shirt until everything is nice and cleared with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah I had to do that a few years ago for Lazer Steak, actually had to change over to business page aswell.

I had a nightmare trying to verify on the site and it wasnt happening. Just rang them in the end and guy on the phone had it sorted out pretty fast

Yeah I had to do that a few years ago for Lazer Steak, actually had to change over to business page aswell.

I had a nightmare trying to verify on the site and it wasnt happening. Just rang them in the end and guy on the phone had it sorted out pretty fast

I tried just switching over to Stripe and leaving PayPal out of it completely for a few months. But sales dropped about 30-35% so i begrudgingly brought it back as a payment option. Now its about a 70/30 split in PayPal's favour.
    PayPal, a necessary evil it seems :0/

• Advertisement

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I tried just switching over to Stripe and leaving PayPal out of it completely for a few months. But sales dropped about 30-35% so i begrudgingly brought it back as a payment option. Now its about a 70/30 split in PayPal's favour.
    PayPal, a necessary evil it seems :0/

Yeah i use both too. Seems to be a pretty even split for me. Paypals fees are twice as much as stripe for me though. Absolute robbers.

Master of the Universe

Steve X2 wrote: »
    It should only take 12-24 hours to verify once they have everything. I had to send them on a bunch of stuff last year when my website started taking in a decent amount.
    I really wouldn't be sending that shirt until everything is nice and cleared with them!

That's reassuring!

Actually to give you a bit of a laugh, I've had that Paypal account since approx 2001. I was only 17 at the time, so set it up with my mam's name and credit card. When I got my own credit card a couple of years later, I switch it all over to my details.

Apart from one thing, the first name. They refuse to change it. I've tried over and over again many times (even told them I had undergone a sex change at one point!) but they just won't do it. So for almost 20 years, my Paypal name has been Orla.

Wasn't an issue until last night, when suddenly I'd to send ID scans and proof of address!

Queue a very confused and angry mother at 10:30pm trying to send me scans of her passport and address details! :D

So we're all in agreement to call him Orla now yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Lol that is a quality story hahhahhaa

After that story, I don't think we really have any choice :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope
    We call him Or1a...

Have to maintain the previous nomenclature, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Never came across the Arcade Game Wing War before,

Looks amazing, can't wait to emulate in MAME

Wing War is a 1994 flight/combat simulation developed for the Sega Model 1 arcade platform by Sega. the object of the game is by where the players fight head-to-head in airplanes trying to shoot the other players out of the sky. Running on the same hardware as Sega's Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing, the game features 3D polygon graphics.

It was available as a two-player sit-down unit as well as a rotating R-360 arcade cabinet, the second and last title to support the cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

o1s1n wrote: »

**** you, PayPal!

How much you sell that for?

I used to work for PayPal. EU receiving limit. You can send as much as you like but need to verify a few things when getting money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Just had a nice cup of coffee and a chat with mrs trout, we both agree that my "hobby" has gotten out of control, and is taking up far too much space in the house. Not quite at the "marriage or hobby" stage yet ... but it's getting there

long story short ... i have to make space, or move out ... i think the HUGE Naomi cab + "spare" 29in CRT and the 2 trinitrons, and maybe the JAMMA boards over the summer have brought us to this point (she hasn't spotted the N64, so that's staying)

so, why am i (long time lurker, sporadic hoarder, and non-seller) posting this?

(i) some of you have been in this position, for sure
    (ii) i will have to sell some of this stuff, and i want to be straight up & not gouge anyone, especially the guys here who sold me the stuff in the first place
    (iii) it's important to me that this stuff goes to an enthusiast, for a fair price ... not mad money on adverts to people who should know better
    (iv) i would rather take a hit than be seen as a profiteer

Before I put up anything on the marketplace ... any advice/thoughts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everdrives.

Also I think when you get into PCBs and Arcade stuff your space starts to disappear fast.

I've kind of had to go totally digital with this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭geotrig

trout wrote: »
    Just had a nice cup of coffee and a chat with mrs trout, we both agree that my "hobby" has gotten out of control, and is taking up far too much space in the house. Not quite at the "marriage or hobby" stage yet ... but it's getting there

long story short ... i have to make space, or move out ... i think the HUGE Naomi cab + "spare" 29in CRT and the 2 trinitrons, and maybe the JAMMA boards over the summer have brought us to this point (she hasn't spotted the N64, so that's staying)

(ii) i will have to sell some of this stuff, and i want to be straight up & not gouge anyone, especially the guys here who sold me the stuff in the first place
    (iii) it's important to me that this stuff goes to an enthusiast, for a fair price ... not mad money on adverts to people who should know better

do you really need a mrs trout ?:p or just start counting her coats , shoes and handbags that are all over the place !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I don't think you're allowed to sell disgruntled spouses on the marketplace.

Master of the Universe

RasTa wrote: »
    How much you sell that for?

I used to work for PayPal. EU receiving limit. You can send as much as you like but need to verify a few things when getting money.
    `
    Got 650 bones in the end! Had a back and forth haggling match with a guy on ebay via the offer function, it's actually pretty useful for that.

I wanted to get about 800 but in the end it's hard to say no to sending someone an old tshirt for that much cash.

Still waiting for Paypal to confirm my (mam's!) identity, will get in touch with them a little later today if there's still no word.

Ah yes, I know this pain!

I moved from a three bedroom house into an apartment in the city centre about 5 years ago. One thing I'd suggest is utilising the attic space in your house to the max, thankfully my apartment has an attic so I was able to floor it and do just that.

Still, I'd say half of the things I owned still had to go. Most of the videogame collection wasn't impacted though, mainly consoles I had doubles on and broken bits and pieces I'd been hoarding 'just in case' - getting rid of backups is definitely another good way to resolve this.

CRTs are the difficult one. I absolutely love them and find it incredibly difficult to give them up seeing as it's now a lost technology. If I ever get a garage I'll probably wall myself in with them :D

prolly should have mentioned, the attic is literally groaning with 8 bit micros, various classic Macs, a "Compaq Portable" that weighs at least 2000 lbs, and every comic book i ever read

i may have a condition

Master of the Universe

Comics are a pain alright, the weight of them alone!

I've a run of 2000ADs from about 1983 up to 2015 and feel like the roof is going to collapse under them at any moment :eek: really can't get rid of them though, they're hugely sentimental.

One thing I would recommend, if you are getting rid of stuff, sell the things that you bought recently and not things you bought new, years ago. I always find that's the stuff I regret selling, the newer things not so much.

• Advertisement

right ... Naomi cab (it's HUGE) and the two monitors. Paid 400 this summer ... will let go for 300 for quick sale, boardsie price, no haggling, buyer collects

that seem fair enough?

obvs I'll make a proper Marketplace post ... just trying to be a square dealer here

Vulture.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

right ... Naomi cab (it's HUGE) and the two monitors. Paid 400 this summer ... will let go for 300 for quick sale, boardsie price, no haggling, buyer collects

that seem fair enough?

obvs I'll make a proper Marketplace post ... just trying to be a square dealer here

Very good deal. You (or buyer) should check the monitors. Odds are against it, but some of them camewith tri-sync.

Also, if anyone has a killer instinct cabinet, do let me know. 1 or 2. Have rare things for trade, stranger! Or money of course...

387637594fd0b6a25d25c99906abd9b4.png

Posting this for o1s1n.

525233.jpg

Now I'm trying to figure out if its a coincidence or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    Posting this for o1s1n.

525233.jpg

Now I'm trying to figure out if its a coincidence or not!

Hah, deadly! Not a chance is that a coincidence.

Master of the Universe

That is a thing of absolute beauty and impossible to pass up at that price. Just have to remember to preorder one now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pre-ordered it from Nintendo yesterday, as well as the Super Mario 3D Allstars physical cart and Mario Kart Live.
    These look the business!

I would hope that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is going to join the rest as DLC later, hopefully of the free variety!

Speculation that, as the G&W has a usb cable to charge it, that it might be possible to install more NES/Famicom content... we will await the release and the hacking to commence!

Only 1 per customer for the Game and Watch. I guess it'll keep a few scalpers out, but they'll still end up with a load of them to sell for silly money.

I did want 2 myself though :0/

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

'Sorry, this product is currently out of stock.'

For the love of... I didn't realise they were up for preorder already!

Advertisement