Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I really enjoyed the Daytona Model 2 port that we got on the previous gen of consoles.

I got it the first week it came out but online play sadly quickly dried up. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd love to see Sega Rally but there's licenses that need to be cleared up with that game.

License? Sega Rally?

For one of the cars?

I bet it's Subaru.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MrVestek wrote: »
    License? Sega Rally?

For one of the cars?

I bet it's Subaru.

Toyota and Lancia. Probably other licenses as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sega Rally would be pure ledge... as da kidz say

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sega Rally would be pure ledge... as da kidz say

Da kidz?

About 20 years ago maybe :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did I see 'Online Play' in that video? Worth picking up for that alone!

boards.ie VR Racing Marathon? :P

o1s1n wrote: »
    Did I see 'Online Play' in that video? Worth picking up for that alone!

2 player online.....

And 8 player on one switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There is a Grand Prix mode, not sure how many online players that opens the field to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

For those of you who are fans of a particular series, where do you draw the line with collecting?

I have every game in the Silent Hill series apart from the PSP movie promotion thing and the GBA playable novel which is something like €200...

I have SH3 on Xbox and part of me wants the PS2 version for consistency. Part of me also wants the Japanese versions as they're cheap enough...

I may look into getting the strategy guides if they aren't too expensive. I'm not into figurines or anything and the soundtracks are too pricey. I'm not bothered about the comics as they're ****e!

So I'm not venturing too far down the rabbit hole :D
    Doge wrote: »
    You won't get similar ones to the ones used for gameboxes I think. Just the normal transparent plastic sleeves you see in record shops.
    You can get picture frames for vinyl alright but you wouldn't want to be playing the record you put it in as it would be fiddly to take out and put back in.

I'm after getting back into vinyl again lately, just ordered a Reloop direct drive DJ turntable from eBay in the last hour!

It has usb and selectable phono/line out. I'm going to compare the quality of 3 output options when it comes as the ADC converters are probably cheap in the built in ones.

And possibly the built in preamp is cheap also. I can always buy am external pre amp afterwards and use the phono out.

Still though it's probably the best turntable one can get for 130 second hand, as the headhsell can take a wide range of needles from cheap DJ ones to the ridiculously expensive!

Ordered some sleeves off eBay, just looking for something to stick the vinyls on display without damaging them. We'll see how they fare!

Master of the Universe

I draw the line at actual videogames now. Did a serious declutter of all my gaming related things like figures, plushies, game branded stuff - most of it was just useless clutter and tat tbh.

Would much rather fill the space I have with actual games.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    For those of you who are fans of a particular series, where do you draw the line with collecting?
    Hotline Miami. Got the vinyl, the collection with the comics. the ps4 physical release and the Jacket and Biker figures in the Soaked variant. The line was forced on me when the third figure didnt meet the Kickstarter minimum. Glad in a way because it was a bit crap but I know I'd have bought it anyway for the set:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm allergic to clutter. I'm a chuck the boxes and use a DVD wallet guy, sacreligious as that sounds. Buy most stuff digitally bar cheapo second hand stuff nowadays anyway. I've had to move around too much back in my parents house now with a kid means I've no space indulge any collectory habits.

Don't like streaming stuff though still rip/download all my content back it up.

I got rid of all my retro stuff and now exclusively play games on my phone....

Yeah... right!

Room full of everything from the boxed soundtrack of GTA:VC to a Virtual Boy, and all stops in between!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Speaking of Virtua Racing inspired games, the Racing Apex developers have been very quiet since Christmas. Not a peep out of them and they havent replied to any inquiring if the game is dead on their facebook page.

Doge wrote: »
    Speaking of Virtua Racing inspired games, the Racing Apex developers have been very quiet since Christmas. Not a peep out of them and they havent replied to any inquiring if the game is dead on their facebook page.

Yeah, very disappointing.
    90s Super GP is another that's disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm so pissed about 90s Super GT getting shelved I've tried various arcade racers since playing Sonic Racing Transformed to death and none of them are scratching that same itch.

I leurve Scud Race and there's a ****ed cabinet sitting on location 20mins from my house for the last 20 years they've never fixed. Whoever the distributor is for Clare/Limerick/Galway is he never fixes anything the amount of zombie cabs they've still accepting credits is nuts.

At least my favourite RTS designer Chris Taylor (Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander) announced a new RTS yesterday. Feels sometimes like the games I like never get any financial backing.

Master of the Universe

Bit of a random one, have any of you guys tried to watch Shrek recently? Haven't watched it in years so threw it on this evening.

I can't believe how much the CGI has dated! It's like watching a PS2 era videogame intro for an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Bit of a random one, have any of you guys tried to watch Shrek recently? Haven't watched it in years so threw it on this evening.

I can't believe how much the CGI has dated! It's like watching a PS2 era videogame intro for an hour and a half.
    I had that a few months ago, throw on Monster House, genuine I couldn't deal with it, some of characters look so out of place and I loved that movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I had that a few months ago, throw on Monster House, genuine I couldn't deal with it and I loved that movie

Monster house is brilliant. I think my rose coloured glasses help me think it still looks okay.

Toy Story to Toy Story 3 is quite jarring, seeing the humans in the first one compared to three.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Monster house is brilliant. I think my rose coloured glasses help me think it still looks okay.

Toy Story to Toy Story 3 is quite jarring, seeing the humans in the first one compared to three.
    I do love it too but some of them are like, they've the wrong proportion head for their body for the face they have (if that makes sense?), it just weirded me out especially the babysitter and the bpyf, I was deva it distracted me so much.

Yes, that too, Andy looks so weird in TS1

I do love it too but some of them are like, they've the wrong proportion head for their body for the face they have (if that makes sense?), it just weirded me out especially the babysitter and the bpyf, I was deva it distracted me so much.

Definitely know what you mean but I always thought that was a style/design choice!

Yes, that too, Andy looks so weird in TS1

At Christmas I watched Polar Express, which is two years older than Monster House and by the same Robert Zemekis production company Imagemovers, and it was still fantastic looking!

Definitely know what you mean but I always thought that was a style/design choice!
    It probably is ! It used to not weird me out as much before. They're like funko pops or something
    At Christmas I watched Polar Express, which is two years older than Monster House and by the same Robert Zemekis production company Imagemovers, and it was still fantastic looking!
    Did you think so? I never saw it all, tried to around the time it was out but never got into it.

Master of the Universe

The Polar Express still looks kind of okay, you are talking 3 years of CGI tech advancements between that and the original Shrek though.

I think a large part of the problem is that these older CGI movies were designed for standard definition. So as much as they've aged, it's accelerated even more sowhen it's upscaled to HD. You're seeing the flaws becoming a lot more apparent. Things like tessellation are non existent, so you can really tell that they're simply models with textures creating the illusion of surfaces.

Must throw one of them on a CRT at 480i as a matter of interest and see how it looks!

I have Polar Express on Blu so it's warts and all, but I still think it's a cracking picture and I find little wanting in the visuals.
    I think, like early pen and ink animation, you have to accept that fidelity is going to be different from what you are accustomed to, but not unwatchable.
    Like subtitles, I cease to notice and just enjoy it.

Checking to see what else came out the same year as Monster House, Over the Hedge aged better? Or are those my rose tinted glasses now? I love that soundtrack. Surprised Cars was that year too.

Just going back to this a sec to say my Leaving Cert Art Exams last question was comparing Ratatouille to Shrek

Over the Hedge has that relentless humour though, from Willis' great performance to, well, everyone is bringing their A game to that one, including seminal pairing of Eugene Levi and Catherine O'Hara, not to mention Gary Shandling, Wanda Sykes and Steve Carell.
    Plus, it has the benefit, compared to more recent efforts, of not being fast tracked into a sequel.
    I thought Megamind was great fun as well, around that time, not to mention Monsters Vs Aliens, which was a blast too.

• Advertisement

Over the Hedge may look better, but Monster House is still a better film imo.

Over the Hedge soundtrack is great though, love Ben Folds (but prefer his 'five' years tbh).

Also love the Curious George soundtrack!

Advertisement