Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Who had a GamesMaster revival on their 2021 bingo card?

E4 is rebooting the cultural phenomenon GamesMaster and is seeking a Brand Partner.
    GamesMaster will be a social first show, followed by an E4 TX and All 4 box set. The sponsorship opportunity with E4 combines social, digital and linear TV.

https://www.4sales.com/latest/2021-02/news/gamesmaster-returns-seeking-brand-partner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Still working on my judge dredd pinball machine and I usually like to play YouTube videos while I do it.

Tonight I had a run of 16 Bit Gems by Roo from Clan of the Grey Wolf. We've talked about them here before...but TLDR his videos are great.

Checked the channel and it's pretty much dead...same goes for their Twitter. No activity in years and the website is gone.

Just a bit **** to see someone who's videos I enjoyed so much just drop off. Happened to a ton of channels I follow on YouTube. Makes me feel old lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Maybe someone on here knows.

I remember playing a game called Crush Roller in a local arcade and being very good at it.
    Now, this version had a jump button. i.e. when you pressed it you jumped backwards and behind any pursuers.
    If you were smart you could jump past them and past the "roller", so you could then paint over them ...
    Also, there were special places you could jump (bugs?) where you'd end up teleporting from e.g. the top of the maze to the bottom ...

Now, I've never ever seen this version again, and when I google/search (images, videos, text) I can't find/see any mention of that jump button.
    None have this jump button. Also, I think the main character is changed slightly to a fat paint rag rather than a more defined brush.
    I've downloaded it on e.g. MAME too ...

Is this some special hack version that was running in the local arcade. A one of a kind ?
    I know some companies in the US would mod games etc etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭dav09

YoshiSays wrote: »

I remember playing a game called Crush Roller in a local arcade and being very good at it.
    Now, this version had a jump button. i.e. when you pressed it you jumped backwards and behind any pursuers.
    If you were smart you could jump past them and past the "roller", so you could then paint over them ...
    Also, there were special places you could jump (bugs?) where you'd end up teleporting from e.g. the top of the maze to the bottom ...

Now, I've never ever seen this version again, and when I google/search (images, videos, text) I can't find/see any mention of that jump button.
    None have this jump button. Also, I think the main character is changed slightly to a fat paint rag rather than a more defined brush.

Is this some special hack version that was running in the local arcade. A one of a kind ?
    The Crush Rollers here don't have a jump button as far as I know nor anything I've played on mame. I know it was called "Make Trax" in the states, exact same game but probably mods exist of it, it'd be a peculiar mod as most of the 1981 games that had major mods (i.e not just speed up mod) were the big "blockbusters", Ms Pacman started as a mod and.got licensed, could it maybe have been a similar game to Crush Roller/ Make Trax?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Dave Perry rematch imminent. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

542491.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

Still working on my judge dredd pinball machine and I usually like to play YouTube videos while I do it.

Tonight I had a run of 16 Bit Gems by Roo from Clan of the Grey Wolf. We've talked about them here before...but TLDR his videos are great.

Checked the channel and it's pretty much dead...same goes for their Twitter. No activity in years and the website is gone.

Just a bit **** to see someone who's videos I enjoyed so much just drop off. Happened to a ton of channels I follow on YouTube. Makes me feel old lol

I really enjoy his videos too. As far as I remember, he was either deep in research, or is an actual scientist of some form, & just hadn't the time to continue (I could be completely wrong, but he was briefly involved with the Game Chasers at one point where something like that was said.) I've gone and archived all his videos anyway, because as you say the channel does seem very unfortunately, to be dead now.

Check out The Gaming Historian which is similar in vein (without the humorous jibes etc, it's a fantastic channel. Norm is an actual researcher/historian too I believe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm finding it the same as well. My subsription list is pretty bare bones most days whereas a few years ago I'd be guaranteed something to watch everyday. It's mostly just Jeremy Parish with a video every week and maybe another when someone else comes out of the wood work.

The big money just doesn't seem to be in youtube anymore. It's all about streaming which honestly I don't know how anyone can find enjoyment out of watched. And it also is totally different to the historical discussion or discourse that I'm actually interested in.

At least retronauts have been pumping out episodes on their patreon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Inviere wrote: »
    I really enjoy his videos too. As far as I remember, he was either deep in research, or is an actual scientist of some form, & just hadn't the time to continue (I could be completely wrong, but he was briefly involved with the Game Chasers at one point where something like that was said.) I've gone and archived all his videos anyway, because as you say the channel does seem very unfortunately, to be dead now.

Check out The Gaming Historian which is similar in vein (without the humorous jibes etc, it's a fantastic channel. Norm is an actual researcher/historian too I believe.

Yeah the gaming historian is great too. He's definitely involved in the education system anyway I remember him talking about being a teacher or something at one point.

Even the game chasers have slowed down a lot in recent years.

HVGN is now Stop Skeletons From Fighting and going strong so that's good.

Anybody remember ACE magazine and its "Predicted Interest Curve graph where the game was given a line graph predicting the long term interest in the game over many months." ? Actually think that curve was a good idea. You could see where a game hooked you in and for how long. It was also a kind of precursor to EDGE magazine. Note: I didn't have the cash for any of the games or hardware at the time but at least I could read about them :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACE_(magazine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Maybe it was Korosuke Roller

eddhorse wrote: »
    Maybe it was Korosuke Roller

Thank you !

Yep, that looks like it. Certainly the colours and characters match. Now can you jump in this version. Time to crack out Mame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a fantastic neo geo pocket port.

Yep, that is the game ..

"This version of the game adds a button to teleport to a random spot on the board - restricted to a spot that has already been painted."

https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=korosuke-roller&page=detail&id=1319

You could also jump backwards ...

Anyway , thanks everyone. It's a great version of the game.

Thanks eddhorse!

Watching that video now and yes the jump is clearly there.

We had so much fun playing that game back in the day. Gang of kids all ages lined up to play. Who said video games are not social. Miss that time. Golden age!

Thanks eddhorse!

Watching that video now and yes the jump is clearly there.

We had so much fun playing that game back in the day. Gang of kids all ages lined up to play. Who said video games are not social. Miss that time. Golden age!

Great news , enjoy

Check out the arcade in this house.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=qXZ1shsTkEu&brand=0

The kingkong pinball is worth around 80k$ alone.
    Loads of super rare pinballs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

OK that guy knows how to spend his money. The cinemas are pretty sweet as well.

Wouldn't be mad on the rest looks like a bit mid-budget hotel, which I suppose happens easily when your house is hotel sized.

Yeah its a bit naff for my taste but i like the pool bar and arcade parts.

• Advertisement

Oh it's 100% no taste .
    Looks like a theme park ��

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I casually strolled around the corner moving away from the pinball games only to be hit smack in the face with a Sega R360 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Master of the Universe

Ah here, there's a Wing War sit down beside that R360.

Wing War is one of the R360 games. So it looks like he has the full R360 version of the game connected up to the sit down version so you can have two player dogfights, with one person spinning in the full machine.

Serious collector, shirley the house doesnt come with that?

Master of the Universe

I was thinking the owner might have died maybe? You'd imagine a collector who owned a collection like that would know exactly how much the expensive items could go for.

If you even think back to the Neverland ranch, all of the games were sold off separately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

One not for Retr0, but the rest of us just might be interested in a sequel to RType Final...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    One not for Retr0, but the rest of us just might be interested in a sequel to RType Final...

I am actually really interested. R-type is one of my favourite series of all time and I love a lot of what Irem/Granzella do. I'll main-line this if it's a R-type game that lives up to the likes of R-Type Delta. R-type Final just wasn't a good game and badly designed but looking at videogames of this it looks like a far better designed game than Final.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow,
    You'll be looking forward to a reboot of Legend of Dragoon next!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Wow,
    You'll be looking forward to a reboot of Legend of Dragoon next!

Let's not get silly now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

Anyone have any recommendations for decent EU sites to buy retro games from? I'm looking for Dreamcast games mainly, and options are limited on Irish sites.

Advertisement