Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB [and other platforms] to be effectively outlawed in high demand areas

Options

Comments

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/short-term-lets-2-4555639-Mar2019/?utm_source=shortlink

This ruling doesn’t change anything, but further supplants the understanding that short term letting of a residential property is a change of use

We can only hope that the ruling is enforced.

Is this actually going to be law by 1st June?

When it was announced back in October they said they wanted it through by the end of 2018. It involves changes to primary legislation but it doesn't even appear to have gone through committee stage yet with two months to go to when its supposed to be enacted.

Am I missing something or does this not have an awful lot of legislative steps to go through.

AirBnBs to face extra fees, water, insurance and commercial rates.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/extra-charges-set-for-airbnb-homes-in-clampdown-on-regulations-917260.html

Extra charges set for Airbnb homes in clampdown on regulations

By Daniel McConnell
    Political Editor

Mod Note

Please don't post entire articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The absolute cheek of the government to do this. i would rather leave my house empty than rent it to long term tenants because they want me to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The absolute cheek of the government to do this. i would rather leave my house empty than rent it to long term tenants because they want me to.

How is requiring commercial enterprises to act as such "cheek" exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Okay... I'm going to assume that you are curently AirBNB'ing the place... do you have the appropriate planning? Are you currently running it within regulation? Are you competing as a hotel & what standards are you operating under?

It seems the government are just elaborating on the current legistlation and are applying business practices to what is a business. I suggest you just apply for planning and if you recieve it you'll be free to run your business in a professional manner... No worries.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How is it cheek to introduce legislation to strengthen already existing laws that are being ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Amirani wrote: »
    Depends on how short term lets are defined really. If you have a place and rent it out for 9 months a year to Dublin college students and then 3 months to foreign students on a working holiday then I can't see this being a problem under proposed legislation.

Correct. Anything over two weeks is not considered a short term let from what I can gather.

If you are air bnb'ing your property in a residential area or building then I am happy with this legislation, not for the government or rental sector but for the sheer lack of respect you show to the neighbours of that Airbnb house you have. Imagine trying to raise a family in a residential area with houses on Airbnb where you don't know whose coming and going with new people every week.

Imagine the parties, imagine the lack of respect of the houses like slamming doors etc., I bought a holiday house 2 years back and while most are now owner occupied there is a let next to mine and it's a nightmare. Now I knew it was a holiday village originally but I can assure you the people renting it don't care for the house or residents, they are there for a week or 2 and wont see us again so it slamming doors, parties, etc.. it's like the luck of the draw who is going to rent it. Cant wait for it to be sold.

Now that's a holiday area, I would hate to live next to a house where the owners Airbnb it and couldn't care less about those living there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you are air bnb'ing your property in a residential area or building then I am happy with this legislation, not for the government or rental sector but for the sheer lack of respect you show to the neighbours of that Airbnb house you have. Imagine trying to raise a family in a residential area with houses on Airbnb where you don't know whose coming and going with new people every week.

Imagine the parties, imagine the lack of respect of the houses like slamming doors etc., I bought a holiday house 2 years back and while most are now owner occupied there is a let next to mine and it's a nightmare. Now I knew it was a holiday village originally but I can assure you the people renting it don't care for the house or residents, they are there for a week or 2 and wont see us again so it slamming doors, parties, etc.. it's like the luck of the draw who is going to rent it. Cant wait for it to be sold.

Now that's a holiday area, I would hate to live next to a house where the owners Airbnb it and couldn't care less about those living there

Holiday village has short term holiday makers regularly?

And to be fair, I doubt many of us know what is going on in our neighbors house. Would you be happier if the house next door was rented to a nightmare tenant on a long term tenancy? I have been letting a house on Airbnb for over a year, we used to live in it so we know the neighbors for years. Never once have we, or they, had an issue with a guest, I’ve asked.

Does anyone know is the text of the proposed law available anywhere? I've looked in all the usual places and can't find it.

Even with moving it back to either 1st of July as some places are reporting or 11th of July like RTE is saying, it would be remarkably fast for this to be in place in time before the summer recess.

Can't believe it looks like we'll have to put up with another summer of this at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

But you won't do that, because you, and every LL, don't act based on moral convictions of any calibre. So save your song and dance, if you were happy to lose money based on moral principles you wouldnt be doing what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Am I right in thinking this new legislation will only effect homes in rent pressure areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Am I right in thinking this new legislation will only effect homes in rent pressure areas?
    Yes, but you will still be required to seek appropriate planning permission irrelevant of location.

Yes. And complete properties. No change if someone wishes to AirBnB their spare room.

https://www.thejournal.ie/airbnb-laws-no-delay-4595003-Apr2019/

"HOUSING MINISTER EOGHAN Murphy has told politicians to “hold their nerve” and not take heed of representations made to them calling for a “grace period” in the new short-term let laws.

TheJournal.ie understands that an email from Airbnb has been sent to a number of hosts asking them to contact politicians about the proposed regulations and request a postponement."

"The correspondence from Airbnb seen by TheJournal.ie state that the company is seeking a “grace period from government”, and mentions that the Housing Committee will be considering the regulations today. "

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭Kidkinobe

https://www.thejournal.ie/airbnb-laws-no-delay-4595003-Apr2019/

"HOUSING MINISTER EOGHAN Murphy has told politicians to “hold their nerve” and not take heed of representations made to them calling for a “grace period” in the new short-term let laws.

TheJournal.ie understands that an email from Airbnb has been sent to a number of hosts asking them to contact politicians about the proposed regulations and request a postponement."

"The correspondence from Airbnb seen by TheJournal.ie state that the company is seeking a “grace period from government”, and mentions that the Housing Committee will be considering the regulations today. "
    Wonder who the politicians will listen too...The Airbnb owners or the people desperately searching for a rental they can afford...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

https://www.thejournal.ie/short-term-lets-2-4555639-Mar2019/?utm_source=shortlink

This ruling doesn’t change anything, but further supplants the understanding that short term letting of a residential property is a change of use

Those guys kicked my friend out of an apartment in smithfield to turn it into Airbnb. One of them had to leave the apartment so they refused to allow anybody else to move in knowing the remaining tenant couldn't pay for a 2 bed place on their own, saying they'll make more money from Airbnb. Rent was already really high.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,135 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Airbnb speaking out of one side of their mouths saying its unenforceable; yet sending out message templates to long term lettors on their platform looking to lobby politicians to postpone / cancel the legislation.

Must be very enforceable so...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's much more enforceable in Dublin than somewhere like NY but even there there are inspections and guests are thrown out. Here there aren't skyscrapers of people, you know if your neighbour is airbnbing and people will be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,135 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I agree. I know which apartments on my corridor are constantly let out short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Those guys kicked my friend out of an apartment in smithfield to turn it into Airbnb. One of them had to leave the apartment so they refused to allow anybody else to move in knowing the remaining tenant couldn't pay for a 2 bed place on their own, saying they'll make more money from Airbnb. Rent was already really high.

That was the sensible thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I see the date on this has moved from 1st June to 1st July based on the below article

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/regulation-of-short-term-letting-sector-belated-but-welcome-918174.html

"From July 1, potential rental homes will no longer be available short-term, except with planning permission and even then rarely, says Eoin Ó Broin (SF)

After much delay, the Government has finally introduced regulations for the short-term letting sector. Last week, the Oireachtas Housing Committee unanimously passed Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy’s amendments to the Planning and Development Act 2000, which are set to become law before the summer.

The new rules will only apply to properties within rent-pressure zones and, as with the 4% cap, will expire at the end of 2021, unless extended by further legislation.

Based on proposals made by the Housing Committee in October 2017, the regulations will operate on three levels and will apply from July 1, a month later than originally announced."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

machalla wrote: »
    I see the date on this has moved from 1st June to 1st July based on the below article

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/regulation-of-short-term-letting-sector-belated-but-welcome-918174.html

"From July 1, potential rental homes will no longer be available short-term, except with planning permission and even then rarely, says Eoin Ó Broin (SF)

After much delay, the Government has finally introduced regulations for the short-term letting sector. Last week, the Oireachtas Housing Committee unanimously passed Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy’s amendments to the Planning and Development Act 2000, which are set to become law before the summer.

The new rules will only apply to properties within rent-pressure zones and, as with the 4% cap, will expire at the end of 2021, unless extended by further legislation.

Based on proposals made by the Housing Committee in October 2017, the regulations will operate on three levels and will apply from July 1, a month later than originally announced."
    The 90 days will then take it up to October meaning the whole summer season will be comprehended.

The 90 days will then take it up to October meaning the whole summer season will be comprehended.

Thats only if you're letting out your principal private residence which I presume you would have to prove by showing that you are taxed there etc.

I'm delighted these regulations are being brought in but I feel sorry for the tourists who have booked in good faith who will inevitably get caught out because of chancers who were well aware that this was coming in this summer and took bookings regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

I agree. I know which apartments on my corridor are constantly let out short term.

what will come after i should worry more at least you could be sure any noise was temporary stick one bad tenant its long term no enforcement of any antisocial laws.

my argument is more fact based
    have lot of airbnb north inner city + streets are cleaner no shouting scumbags
    - no accommodation for scumbags there litter is missing
    Reason i have a place there used 2 pick up there rubbish + needles thrown into my basement recent check was spotless.
    Laws for AIRBNB, no laws for the scumbags it replaced, not right
    Fcuk those who claim its for the social good that includes mcverery they are hypocrites who wont have in there area...
    Free homes for everybody but not beside me..
    end of rant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

what will come after i should worry more at least you could be sure any noise was temporary stick one bad tenant its long term no enforcement of any antisocial laws.

my argument is more fact based
    have lot of airbnb north inner city + streets are cleaner no shouting scumbags
    - no accommodation for scumbags there litter is missing
    Reason i have a place there used 2 pick up there rubbish + needles thrown into my basement recent check was spotless.
    Laws for AIRBNB, no laws for the scumbags it replaced, not right
    Fcuk those who claim its for the social good that includes mcverery they are hypocrites who wont have in there area...
    Free homes for everybody but not beside me..
    end of rant

Because it's a binary option between scumbags and tourists. There are two types of people in Dublin; scumbags and German/French tourists. Which one are you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod

Seriously??

overkill602/Yurt, stop posting so early in the morning. It makes you both cranky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

How could they stop him getting a new flatmate? I don’t think you can do that, so I am sceptical to say the least. Unless his tenancy was less than 6 months? Or was it an owner occupier who was renting to him, in which case the new law will make no difference.

Advertisement