Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dafuq is this bollox?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Odhinn wrote: »
    Well reasoned and mature argument. I can see you've put much thought into this.

I was having a Kanye moment?

mad muffin wrote: »
    Oh here we go… the bleedin lefties are out in force… :rolleyes:

Round them up into boot camps and detox the **** out of them. They’ll be much better for it and happier.

Sure they won’t be happy going in but they will definitely be happy coming out the other side.
    See. This is the misunderstanding. People take heroin because they have a **** life. If you grow up with no prospects. The relief from doing heroin takes you away from the misery of your day to day life. You detox but then go back to no job, no home, no life and it's very easy to slip back to heroin. Drug addiction is a social and public health problem rather than a criminal one. The wheel has to be reinvented. The war on drugs stopped and a policy similar to Portugal developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

What is the difference between these clinics and 1880's Opium dens in China? Heroin is a powerful weapon to break the west. Much the same as the British used to destroy China. Stamp it out hard and fast.

An opium den would be more akin to a modern day pub/bar.

These centres would be more interested in an end goal of helping addicts to stop using. Very different to a pu/bar in that sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

See. This is the misunderstanding. People take heroin because they have a **** life. If you grow up with no prospects. The relief from doing heroin takes you away from the misery of your day to day life. You detox but then go back to no job, no home, no life and it's very easy to slip back to heroin. Drug addiction is a social and public health problem rather than a criminal one. The wheel has to be reinvented. The war on drugs stopped and a policy similar to Portugal developed.

Thats a load of bollocks. I grew up in an area of high unemployment, in an unemployed household. I went to the worst school in the area because we couldnt afford to get the bus into the city. I still applied and got onto college (STEM) without a diagnosis of HFA, Qualified and live a productive life in stable relationship. All while other dopes around me did drugs at college and failed. I never used drugs or have been curious about them.

So, that holds no water with me. I despise illegal drug use. Heck I avoid going to the see the Quack (Doctor), if I can. You also know they take a strong disposition to illegal drugs in the UAE and have a low crime rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Keeps people alive or keeps addicts enabled? Big difference.

In that building on the quays , a multitude of services of provided not solely for addicts , everything from medical , dental services , info and advocacy , showers , basic food as well as supporting addicts.

The basis of harm reduction is keeping people safe .
    Absolutely nothing to do with enabling an addict.

• Advertisement

Thats a load of bollocks. I grew up in an area of high unemployment, in an unemployed household. I went to the worst school in the area because we couldnt afford to get the bus into the city. I still applied and got onto college (STEM) without a diagnosis of HFA, Qualified and live a productive life in stable relationship. All while other dopes around me did drugs at college and failed. I never used drugs or have been curious about them.

So, that holds no water with me. I despise illegal drug use. Heck I avoid going to the see the Quack (Doctor), if I can. You also know they take a strong disposition to illegal drugs in the UAE and have a low crime rate?

Ah you should read up on it more if you are interested in it.

I grew up in similar situation to you, but I realise that many factors made me who I am. And luckily made me not to go down those paths. Nobody aspires to be an addict.

There's a lot of research from many experts in the field and it makes for some interesting reading. And the facts and studies support the opposite of your, its all a load of bollocks, assertion.

The basis of harm reduction is keeping people safe .
    Absolutely nothing to do with enabling an addict.

Keeping who safe from whom? Many Addicts have hepatitis C, HIV and what not. Dont get me started on the price of disposing of needles (€90 a litre years ago). Then there is the Bio Hazzard clean ups. They are filthy and its not fair to have them thrust upon the public. Why are we encouraging this behaviour?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I grew up in similar situation to you, but I realise that many factors made me who I am. And luckily made me not to go down those paths. Nobody aspires to be an addict.

I saw Trainspotting when I was 15 and again at 22 (I was a late bloomer). One look at that should scare the crap out of any teenager not to get involved in drugs (my favourite scene is Renton is the filthiest toilet in Edinburgh). That sorted all my interests in taking drugs.

Keeping who safe from whom? Many Addicts have hepatitis C, HIV and what not. Dont get me started on the price of disposing of needles (€90 a litre years ago). Then there is the Bio Hazzard clean ups. They are filthy and its not fair to have them thrust upon the public. Why are we encouraging this behaviour?

The idea behind needle exchanges / injection centres is prevention of blood bornes diseases .It's to encourage IV users to use clean parphenalia and not share.Thats what keeping people safe means.

The idea behind needle exchanges / injection centres is prevention of blood bornes diseases .It's to encourage IV users to use clean parphenalia and not share.Thats what keeping people safe means.

What about the innocent people who want nothing to do with Drug users? Dont they have a right to be kept safe from them? When I lived down in Waterford I used to cut across the park to go to college and had the pleasure of wondering what those disposable spoons were. What about my rights? Drug addicts dont care about clean needles or needle exchange all they care about is drugs. Why do I have to put up with that?

• Advertisement

I saw Trainspotting when I was 15 and again at 22 (I was a late bloomer). One look at that should scare the crap out of any teenager not to get involved in drugs (my favourite scene is Renton is the filthiest toilet in Edinburgh). That sorted all my interests in taking drugs.

I love that movie.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on it's potential uses. Have a good one dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Also a lot of the addicts are people who had ordinary, normal lives who got addicted to prescription pain killers and turned to heroine after the prescription ran out.

Now they are homeless and destitute. The last thing they need or want is a “safe ” place to shoot up. They would rather get off the drugs and be pain free.

A lot of the junkies I knew were scumbags long before they were junkies, not all, but a lot.

I'd be happier to see us treating heroin as seriously as the government did foot and mouth, emphasis on making damn sure its contained and those who would spread it are taking out of circulation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

These rooms have had success in various parts of the world, reducing OD's, less needles on the streets, referals to treatment facilitirs etc.
    https://adf.org.au/insights/medically-supervised-injecting-centres/

What about the innocent people who want nothing to do with Drug users? Dont they have a right to be kept safe from them? When I lived down in Waterford I used to cut across the park to go to college and had the pleasure of wondering what those disposable spoons were. What about my rights? Drug addicts dont care about clean needles or needle exchange all they care about is drugs. Why do I have to put up with that?

Of course you have a right to be safe and you don't have to put up with that behavior , at the moment it's about the best option.

I don't condone the bad behavior of addicts that you highlight , but you yourself seen some of the suggestions here , right now it what's available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Like I said. Spend the money and effort to get them off the stuff in the first place. Hiding them in a “safe” place isn’t going to fix the problem.

It’s not like they won’t be on the street drugged up anyway.

Shoot up… off you go. NEXT!

A blinkered view. You obviously have put no thought into your ramblings in any way shape or form. Would you favor Duterte's approach?
    Also a lot of the addicts are people who had ordinary, normal lives who got addicted to prescription pain killers and turned to heroine after the prescription ran out.

Now they are homeless and destitute. The last thing they need or want is a “safe ” place to shoot up. They would rather get off the drugs and be pain free.

I'd say that you are the last person to know what they need or want... ;)

These rooms have had success in various parts of the world, reducing OD's, less needles on the streets, referals to treatment facilitirs etc.
    https://adf.org.au/insights/medically-supervised-injecting-centres/

Define success......
    Mine would be lower addiction rates, faster rehabilitation schemes, higher participation in education, community service .......that is never going to happen is it?

I wonder how the Chinese broke their Opium addiction trade? There are no benefits to propagating this lifestyle choice

A blinkered view. You obviously have put no thought into your ramblings in any way shape or form. Would you favor Duterte's approach?

I'd say that you are the last person to know what they need or want... ;)

Actually… As a former addict I might know a thing or two ;)

Not heroine, but drug addict none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What you see on the streets today is not pure smack it tablets from our home grown pharmaceuticals

.... at the moment it's about the best option.

I don't condone the bad behavior of addicts that you highlight , but you yourself seen some of the suggestions here , right now it what's available.

"At the same time, pressure was placed on the dealers. Those who surrendered were accepted by the community, re-educated, trained for meaningful work and given jobs. The rest were packed off to prison, and the worst offenders were executed. By 1956, the People's Republic of China had virtually eliminated its drug problem."

http://www.sacu.org/opium.html

I like to think of the Communist Peoples Party idea of "re-education" rather than sending drug dealers and addicts to FAS for a 6 month course. Spike Island is supposed to be nice this time of year.

Actually… As a former addict I might know a thing or two ;)

Not heroine, but drug addict none the less.

So you know what's involved in getting an appropriate treatment ? Medical or therapeutic ? Aftercare too ?

• Advertisement

So you know what's involved in getting an appropriate treatment ? Medical or therapeutic ? Aftercare too ?

Actually I went cold turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

The scheme works well in Portugal

"At the same time, pressure was placed on the dealers. Those who surrendered were accepted by the community, re-educated, trained for meaningful work and given jobs. The rest were packed off to prison, and the worst offenders were executed. By 1956, the People's Republic of China had virtually eliminated its drug problem."

http://www.sacu.org/opium.html

I like to think of the Communist Peoples Party idea of "re-education" rather than sending drug dealers and addicts to FAS for a 6 month course. Spike Island is supposed to be nice this time of year.

I struggle to " cut and paste" but I'm going to try .

"By the end of 2017, there were 2,553,000 known drug addicts in China, a growth of 1.9 per cent year-on-year. Those aged 18-35 made up 55.6 per cent of that population, with the 36-59 age group a further 43 per cent."

THIS CONTENT IS PRODUCED AND PUBLISHED BY CHINA DAILY, PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA, WHICH TAKES SOLE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ITS CONTENTS

Try_harder wrote: »
    The scheme works well in Portugal

Define well? has it reduced the number of addicts? rehabilitated addicts etc etc?
    IT has just moved them indoors.

enough of this Namby Pamby wet nurse approach. Take a leaf out of the Chinese book and deal with it head on like they did in the 1990's in New York under Guiliani and Thimony did and take the battle to the drug dealers and addicts

Actually I went cold turkey.

I wonder from what.

I struggle to " cut and paste" but I'm going to try .

"By the end of 2017, there were 2,553,000 known drug addicts in China, a growth of 1.9 per cent year-on-year. Those aged 18-35 made up 55.6 per cent of that population, with the 36-59 age group a further 43 per cent."

THIS CONTENT IS PRODUCED AND PUBLISHED BY CHINA DAILY, PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA, WHICH TAKES SOLE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ITS CONTENTS

That is why you have to keep up the war on drugs. find them question them and process the information and re-educate them. That is how you get stuff done.

I wonder from what.

Nicotine. I was a smoker for twenty years. Haven’t smoked for almost 8 years now.

Nicotine. I was a smoker for twenty years. Haven’t smoked for almost 8 years now.

They say the fags are as hard an addiction to break as heroin.

They say the fags are as hard an addiction to break as heroin.

They truly are.

• Advertisement

are you comparing nicotine to herion? Is this real life?

Advertisement