Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

This post has been deleted.

You were banned before on the forum - you are on boards long enough to know how you should and shouldnt carry on (as should everyone else). Seems though you prefer to ignore that. Continue to do so and you will be banned again. You replied via pm and I send you one back, if you have a problem discuss it there. You know where the report button is if you have an issue with a post. PS I am not your mate..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RoryMac wrote: »
    Well he also said "from a fight standpoint the first round is mine."
    Meaning Khabib won under the rules of MMA. He won by controlling the round. But he didn't do much with it. I don't think anyone can really argue with that. There was very little striking in rd1 (from both). And even though Khabib dictated where the fight took place, I'm not sure if he even passed Conor's guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    Meaning Khabib won under the rules of MMA. He won by controlling the round. But he didn't do much with it. I don't think anyone can really argue with that. There was very little striking in rd1 (from both). And even though Khabib dictated where the fight took place, I'm not sure if he even passed Conor's guard.
    Stayed triangling Conor's legs for the most part from what I remember.
    Conor had good control of Khabibs hands, so he couldn't do a whole lot or advance much.
    Conor also kept popping a leg out of the triangle, that generally doesn't happen.

I think he surprised Khabib a bit, being able to negate his advance like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

MCG wrote:
    ...before being blessed with a right hand that changed the course of the round, and the fight. ....

isn't this the nature of fighting such a dominant grappler? being hyper aware of the take down to the determent striking defense?

And I wouldnt say khabib got blessed with that right hand...look at it here, perfectly executed feint going low then lightening quick strike...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It was fairly telegraphed as he swung it from his rear ankle somewhere, but Conor missed it as he was too concerned with watching for take downs.

It was a very fast punch though I have to say, although fair play to Conor for not actually going down fully and recovering immediately. It deffo swung the balance in that round firmly to Khabib.

• Advertisement

Conor didn't register that incoming shot at all. His reactions were just not on point.

Even if he was expecting a takedown, even if the shot was crafty and fast (which it was) - you'd still think that Conor at his best would have seen it coming. It's like he was frozen. Even Khabib wasn't expecting it to land, you can see him brace for the counter that never comes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'm not arguing any of that and yes Khabib did very little in that round but he did more than McGregor in whatever way I look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Yeah there's a shade of the Diaz brothers when he talks about from a "fight" standpoint as opposed to the rules. Also in a real fight there'd be no ref to stand them back up.

I think Conor isn't giving Khabib enough credit. He had no energy in the later rounds because he was worn down defending all the grappling and it's almost debatable that he won the 3rd round even when it was mostly standing so he shouldn't be patting himself on the back too much about that one.

Not sure if he fully believes all this or whether he's being purposely dismissive of Khabib's efforts to stoke the fires for a rematch down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

RoryMac wrote: »
    Since when are there different 'standpoints' in a bout?? He lost the first round on every conceivable standpoint

Not really true, Conor landed double Khabibs amount of strikes in round 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Surely all the fouls, fence grabbing, gloves/shorts pulling etc were preventing Khabib from getting in better positions?

I've still yet to re-watch it so maybe the fouls weren't as bad as I first thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I thinking you are projecting a subtext on to it that doesn't exist.
    If he said "Relax, it's only business", "back off, it's only business" or similar. Then I'd agree that the 'I was only messing' parallel applies. But that wasn't what he said or the context.

The survival mode doesn't really apply either. The video clip that was circulated show Khabib ground and pounding, and Conor getting up to say it's only business. But that's a composite of different parts of the fight and not what actually happened. He didn't say it after getting battered, be said it after round 3, the round he won where Khabib failed to land a takedown. Khabib was getting frustrated after that round and shouting to Herb Dean. He says something to Conor. Conor pushes Khabibs head away with his head and says “it's only business” or whatever. I think people are making a mountain out of molehill here.

I'll be honest with you. I had to go back to what I'd posted as I'd an evening of food & whiskey tasting and had a few too many (Jameson Caskmates Stout Edition, beautiful with Roguefort blue cheese) then a meal of wild mushrooms & black garlic risotto & white wine (yup, I certainly over done it lol).

Certainly people are making a mole hill out of the whole thing and people will believe what they want to hear (to the point of delusion).

Yeah there's a shade of the Diaz brothers when he talks about from a "fight" standpoint as opposed to the rules. Also in a real fight there'd be no ref to stand them back up.
    The funny thing is that after getting beaten by Floyd he was going on about "limited ruleset" and how he was glad to be going back to his own sport of unrestricted fighting.

He can't make his mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

xtal191 wrote: »
    Surely all the fouls, fence grabbing, gloves/shorts pulling etc were preventing Khabib from getting in better positions?

I've still yet to re-watch it so maybe the fouls weren't as bad as I first thought.

Shhhhhhh don't mention these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

darced wrote: »
    Not really true, Conor landed double Khabibs amount of strikes in round 1.

It wasn't a boxing match! Khabib clearly won the first round

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mmmayonaise

Extremely disappointing statement.

Deluded.

He got whopped fair and square. He keeps changing the goalposts "I lost the bout but won the fight etc" whatever that means.

He seems to take digs at his own coaching team.

Very strange to post a photo of him hitting Khabib, his best punch in the fight, and it did not affect Khabib at all.

We are about to witness the downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Deluded.

He got whopped fair and square. He keeps changing the goalposts "I lost the bout but won the fight etc" whatever that means.

Very strange to post a photo of him hitting Khabib, his best punch in the fight, and it did not affect Khabib at all.

It didn't affect khabib at all yet khabib moved his arms up and down 3 times after it landed as if he lost control of his limbs, then immediately shot for a takedown. It definitely stunned him. There's no downfall for Conor until he retires if he continues to be smart about which fights he chooses. He has surpassed winning/losing being important as long as he gives a decent showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Deluded.

There was undoubtedly some ego massaging going on in his interpretation of the fight but that's to be expected from Conor. He has a reputation to try to protect. Point is though that he seems to recognise where he went wrong and what he has to do to improve for next time. So that, and his indication that he will fight again soon make it a positive statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'll be honest with you. I had to go back to what I'd posted as I'd an evening of food & whiskey tasting and had a few too many (Jameson Caskmates Stout Edition, beautiful with Roguefort blue cheese) then a meal of wild mushrooms & black garlic risotto & white wine (yup, I certainly over done it lol).

Certainly people are making a mole hill out of the whole thing and people will believe what they want to hear (to the point of delusion).

Al Iaquinta was on Ariels show today talking about how he’s lost a bit of respect for Conor after his “it’s only business” remark. So it’s not just Irish “begrudgers” that hears that.

Also seen Khabib met the Russian minister for sport about fighting Mayweather in Moscow’s “legendary” arena, presumably the Luzhniki??

spix wrote: »
    It didn't affect khabib at all yet khabib moved his arms up and down 3 times after it landed as if he lost control of his limbs, then immediately shot for a takedown. It definitely stunned him. .

This is getting bizzare

Al Iaquinta was on Ariels show today talking about how he’s lost a bit of respect for Conor after his “it’s only business” remark. So it’s not just Irish “begrudgers” that hears that.

Also seen Khabib met the Russian minister for sport about fighting Mayweather in Moscow’s “legendary” arena, presumably the Luzhniki??

You do realise most people including Al obviously don't listen properly, they read the subtitles that were included on the video and just believe it.

Khabib meeting any Russian about a Mayweather fight is a complete waste of time, he must be doing it to make news or not to be rude when they express interest in talking about it. Mayweather will never fight outside Vegas and definitely not in his opponents country, and one known for sporting shenanigans at that. You think he'd trust Russia with potentially over 100 million dollars? He has talked about fighting in other countries before but again that's just to be nice to the people approaching him in said country.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    This is getting bizzare

Hmmm yeah, a punch to the chin which resulted in an immediate takedown attempt most definitely 'did not affect him at all'. Believing that is bizzare. There are many ways to spot when someone gets hurt by a punch, they don't need to drop to the ground or do a chicken dance.

This is the punch just in case you were uncertain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm-MUXnzxXs&t=119s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Its funny that you put those words into quotation marks, when he clearly never wrote those words. You're just making that up, try re-reading the analysis.

yet khabib moved his arms up and down 3 times after it landed as if he lost control of his limbs, .

No it's this part that's bizzare.

It's like saying everytime McG put his hands up he wasn't doing it to defend against punches no he in fact had lost control of his limbs.

And then saying Khabib shot in for a takedown as if it was a sign he was in trouble, that's kinda what Khabib does.

JJayoo wrote: »
    No it's this part that's bizzare.

It's like saying everytime McG put his hands up he wasn't doing it to defend against punches no he in fact had lost control of his limbs.

And then saying Khabib shot in for a takedown as if it was a sign he was in trouble, that's kinda what Khabib does.

That wasn't normal arm movement, it was from him being stunned, watch the link. It wasn't what he done in any other part of round 3 and when he failed the takedown attempt was happy to hold onto Conor for a good few seconds, he was recovering from the punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

That wasn't normal arm movement, it was from him being stunned, watch the link. It wasn't what he done in any other part of round 3 and when he failed the takedown attempt was happy to hold onto Conor for a good few seconds, he was recovering from the punch.

I think the arm movement is a moment of being indecisive thinking "Do I strike back or attempt a Take down"

I dont think conor Inflicted alot of damage. He also done very well to limit the damage that Khabib usually inflicts on the ground with slicing elbows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Some of the delusion i have read in here today is worse than what Mcgregor wrote this morning.

Anyway if Kevin Lee was to beat Al in December it would be a fight i would like to see next for Mcgregor. The build up would be fun.

ricero wrote: »
    Some of the delusion i have read in here today is worse than what Mcgregor wrote this morning.

Anyway ifKevin Lee was to beat Al in December it would be a fight i would like to see next for Mcgregor. The build up would be fun.

And the new leader for todays most delusional post, there being a possibility of mcgregor fighting kevin lee next :P

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

And the new leader for todays most delusional post, there being a possibility of mcgregor fighting kevin lee next :P

Of course Lee is a more than worthy contender, but it'll be Diaz or Poirier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How is that delusional? That would be a great fight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Gintonious wrote: »
    How is that delusional? That would be a great fight!

Well, it's delusional in the sense that Lee is a chump on the mic...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement