Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Wouldn't mind seeing Aldo/McGregor rematch at 155.

https://twitter.com/josealdojunior/status/1049482801211482112

Interests me far more than the Nate trilogy fight anyway and I feel Aldo deserves it more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wouldn't mind seeing Aldo/McGregor rematch at 155.

Aldo has talked a lot about moving up to 155. Indicated to the UFC that he was open to it. But he was offered a fight at 155 (vrs Cowboy Cerrone) and turned it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mellor wrote: »
    Aldo has talked a lot about moving up to 155. Indicated to the UFC that he was open to it. But he was offered a fight at 155 (vrs Cowboy Cerrone) and turned it down.

To be fair to Aldo, he’d have to be absolutely nuts agreeing to a fight on short notice with Cerrone, a seasoned veteran of short notice fights (it’s an advantage, however small it may be) and a much bigger man than him, currently competing two weight classes above Aldo. He was never going to sign up for that, and I couldn’t blame him. It’s a bad career move for him at this stage.

Fighting Conor at 155 as proposed by Outlaw Pete is a different story altogether. He’d accept that fight in a heartbeat, it’s not comparable to a short notice fight with Cowboy IMO.

martyos121 wrote: »
    To be fair to Aldo, he’d have to be absolutely nuts agreeing to a fight on short notice with Cerrone, a seasoned veteran of short notice fights (it’s an advantage, however small it may be) and a much bigger man than him, currently competing two weight classes above Aldo. He was never going to sign up for that, and I couldn’t blame him. It’s a bad career move for him at this stage.

Fighting Conor at 155 as proposed by Outlaw Pete is a different story altogether. He’d accept that fight in a heartbeat, it’s not comparable to a short notice fight with Cowboy IMO.
    I don't blame him for not taking a short notice fight. He would be stupid to. Any top fighter is stupid to move up on short notice imo.

But he actually agreed to the short notice fight. They declined when they suggested Cowboy.
    I don't think that Cowboy is any more difficult an opponent than any other plausible LW they could have given him, he's an easier fight than anyone in the top 10 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I don't blame him for not taking a short notice fight. He would be stupid to. Any top fighter is stupid to move up on short notice imo.

But he actually agreed to the short notice fight. They declined when they suggested Cowboy.
    I don't think that Cowboy is any more difficult an opponent than any other plausible LW they could have given him, he's an easier fight than anyone in the top 10 imo.

I don’t think he’ll come up to 155 for any opponent not named Conor McGregor tbh. I agree he’d struggle to crack the top 10 there, but if he couldn’t get the Conor rematch, he could definitely beat Diaz in a 3 rounder.

I’d also be intrigued to see him fight Khabib, not that it’d ever happen of course. Best TDD versus the best offensive grappling in the sport and Aldo is a much better striker, Khabib’s size advantage probably wins it but it wouldn’t be as one-sided as him fighting a brawler like Ferguson, Gaethje or Poirier. I’d like to see Jose get one more payday and hang up the gloves, always enjoyed watching him since the WEC merger, and the few fights of his I’ve seen before it.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    I don’t think he’ll come up to 155 for any opponent not named Conor McGregor tbh.
    He jumps up instantly for the rematch. But I'm not sure he's interested in fighting Max again either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Just on McGregor getting clipped by Khabib and some comments about "peak McGregor doesn't get caught with that".

Is that necessarily true? His striking is of course absolutely elite but is his defence? He has always taken shots, even in the Aldo and Alvarez fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What do you mean you can't argue with that? Sure it's laughable.

He says Khabib stood the whole round with McGregor to make a point, but if that's the case, why was he trying to take McGregor down? :p

The boys are just trying to get as much money for the rematch (whenever it happens) as possible and sure why wouldn't they.

Not a hope that it doesn't happen if they don't get the $100m though. Bluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

100 mil? And Conor is the delusional one, is he?

Conor needs to fight Tony next, put himself back in the number 1 contender spot, and then Khabib is cornered like a rat ;) .

He then either vacates, retires or has to take the rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ricero wrote: »
    The champ responded to Mcgregors instagram post by writing:

“It’s only business.”

Physically and mentally beaten Mcgregor.

He mustn’t have been listening properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭xtal191

Haha I doubt the UFC would give a **** if Artem left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

"You can't fire me, I quit!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Rumble replied and said he would drop weight for 100 mill :D

Eddie Alvarez has come out and said if Zubaira is kicked out, Khabib leaves and Artem quits...then he's not stayin either.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Well if Artem leave, the UFC can forget about signing me up on a 10 fight deal. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Eddie Alvarez has come out and said if Zubaira is kicked out, Khabib leaves and Artem quits...then he's not stayin either.

If Alvarez, Zubaira, Khabib & Artem are gone I'm quitting Judo :pac:

xtal191 wrote: »
    Haha I doubt the UFC would give a **** if Artem left
    Artem is cheap (for the UFC) and if they let him go he would bring a lot of promotional value to other organizations. They'd get a lot of mileage out of him being Conor's mate, Conor might even attend events etc.

For that reason UFC wouldn't be keen on letting him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Artem could probably do better ppv buys than some champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Is eddie not gone already?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭xtal191

Come on, I honestly like Artem, he's a top top bloke but the UFC would not give a single toss if he quit. If he loses against Johnson he'll be 2-5 (including TUF finale) in the UFC, he's just as likely to get cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

spix wrote: »
    Artem could probably do better ppv buys than some champions

Nonsense. Artem sadly is a walking meme in the mma world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Commanchie wrote: »
    Is eddie not gone already?

I think that may be the essence of the joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Cringe. Now khabib himself is even posting that fake quote, hilarious when you realise mcgregor never even said that. How many people in this world actually have functional ears? Khabib has previously said he can't understand mcgregors english so he gets a pass for not having a clue what was said to him in the cage, and instead relies on what he reads on articles he finds whilst googling himself.

Proof that Khabib reads boards so.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Proof that Khabib reads boards so.

How so? There were stories about that quote being posted on nearly every mma and tabloid news site "Mcgregor apologizes to khabib!!!"

How so? There were stories about that quote being posted on nearly every mma and tabloid news site "Mcgregor apologizes to khabib!!!"

I was taking the piss.

Chances are though, that Khabib might have heard him...considering that he was right there.

Gintonious wrote: »
    I was taking the piss.

Chances are though, that Khabib might have heard him...considering that he was right there.

There's a difference between hearing and understanding. I heard most fighters don't have much memory from fights though... they got to watch it back to see what happened, too much adrenaline.

• Advertisement

There's a difference between hearing and understanding. I heard most fighters don't have much memory from fights though... they got to watch it back to see what happened, too much adrenaline.

Really? I've never heard that one before.

At better excuse you could have come up with was that Khabibs cauliflower ears hindered his ability to hear McGregor say anything. You can use that one if you want, I'll let you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement