Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The only disappointment from an athletic point of view is that he should have been in his prime.

Instead he took 2 years off.

Shame.

He fought Floyd Mayweather in that two years to be fair. Set himself up for life too.

He had an insane 2015 and 2016 and became a father in 2017, it was understandable to take a bit of time off. He's human too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

JJayoo wrote: »
    McG did say just business

I don't get why people are trying to defend him, there is nothing to defend, he was basically telling Khabib to shut the fcuk up with his "let's talk now" crap.

I really don't get this need to 'defend' McG, he is an incredibly successful elite athlete, he's doing ok and he couldn't give two ****es about what randomers on the internet think.

The flipside is from those saying it was an apology in "plz don't kill me " kind of way.......is that not equally laughable?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I just watched back the Notorious movie.

Obviously nothing in there that would paint him even in a semi-bad light given he was the Executive Producer of it, but I really don't think he gets enough credit for what he did in the build up to that Mendes fight.

Scheduled to fight Aldo, a crazy press tour and then Aldo pulls out two weeks before the fight, matched up against a completely different style of opponent and then he does his knee again when preparing. I don't think people appreciate what he went through and overcame in those months, whilst there's also quite a few who have no idea what even happened!

The fact that Conor hasn't made a big deal of any of the injuries he has really had is testament to him (and it's not just that Mendes fight where injuries have been an issue for him), but I genuinely can't think of another fighter on the roster who would have taken that Mendes fight all things considered. The aftermath was the only time we've ever seen real emotion from Conor, and it's no wonder he broke down in tears afterwards given what he had gone through in the months and weeks previous.

Of everything he has achieved it will probably barely get a mention when all is said and done, but taking the interim belt that night at UFC 189 might well be his best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I just 're watched the fight and think mc Gregor done ok...but he should never fight Kabib again...ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

I watched the khabib fight again and i must say he did a hell of a lot better than i thought, snuffed a lot of takedowns and outboxed him in round 3 and took a round off khabib which has never been done before, IF and it’s a big IF he gets his sharpness back, fights a few other fights then I genuinely think he could beat him in a rematch, the gifs online make it look like he was slaughtered but there was hope there and certainly didn’t embarass himself, it’s basically the best in the weight class fighting the second best who’s been off on a almost year bender, if he knuckles down i can see him clawing back, be interesting to see khabib fight tony then conor fight tony to build up to a rematch, he has to earn it and ditch diaz 3 etc and win his way to a rematch with khabib I wouldn’t write him off just yet, trash talk aside he is still a great fighter albeit a rusty/distracted one by being a whiskey salesman/party animal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Katie Taylor will get a lot of the press but nice to see the pics of him with Carl Frampton also. Carl takes a lot of **** for his stance against sectarianism. Big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Katie Taylor will get a lot of the press but nice to see the pics of him with Carl Frampton also. Carl takes a lot of **** for his stance against sectarianism. Big fan.

From who?! Pretty much nobody has a bad word to say about the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't get why people are trying to defend him, there is nothing to defend, he was basically telling Khabib to shut the fcuk up with his "let's talk now" crap
    Agree completely.
    I don't get how "it's just business" is somehow embarrassing for reflects badly on him. It's a fairly common phrase.
    I just 're watched the fight and think mc Gregor done ok...but he should never fight Kabib again...ever.
    If he gets himself into the position of being the clear No.1 in the LW. THen he should get the shot.
    On what basis should he never fight Khabib again? Would you apply that to every fighter who loses by a wide margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I don't get why people are trying to defend him, there is nothing to defend, he was basically telling Khabib to shut the fcuk up with his "let's talk now" crap.

I really don't get this need to 'defend' McG, he is an incredibly successful elite athlete, he's doing ok and he couldn't give two ****es about what randomers on the internet think.

He really didn't say it though. I'm not saying that from a 'I dont want that to be what he said' point of view, I'm saying it from a factual point of view. I've listened to the audio properly and there is literally 0 chance those are the words that came out of his mouth. The only way you can think that's what you hear is if you have those words in your head whilst listening to it, such as reading subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

spix wrote: »
    He really didn't say it though. I'm not saying that from a 'I dont want that to be what he said' point of view, I'm saying it from a factual point of view. I've listened to the audio properly and there is literally 0 chance those are the words that came out of his mouth. The only way you can think that's what you hear is if you have those words in your head whilst listening to it, such as reading subtitles.

So you have no idea what he said but you are 100% what he didn't say?

And yes I have watched it and listened to the audio IMO it's exactly what he said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mellor wrote: »
    Agree completely.
    I don't get how "it's just business" is somehow embarrassing for reflects badly on him. It's a fairly common phrase.

Its embarrassing because he was getting battered and knew it, he was in survival mode.. Like a school yard bully who's having his arse handed to him and makes the plea 'I was only messing'.

Its embarrassing because he was getting battered and knew it, he was in survival mode.. Like a school yard bully who's having his arse handed to him and makes the plea 'I was only messing'.

You realise that was the end of round 3 he said that? Then he came out confident at start of round 4.

If he had that mindset you are stupidly trying to argue, he wouldn't have made it out of round 2 and would've apologised at end of that round or tapped out to strikes. Actually if he had that mindset he would never got to the point where he was a 2 weight ufc champion.

Your name seems familiar, weren't you posting similar nonsense in the other thread? Hard to let your hatred of him go, is it?

So you have no idea what he said but you are 100% what he didn't say?

And yes I have watched it and listened to the audio IMO it's exactly what he said.

Here's improved audio https://streamable.com/7gdyc

Do not look at the subtitles, and listen with a open mind. You will not hear "its only business" It is not possible thats what he said. I do know what he said, why don't you say what you think it is and not just stick with the first thing told to you.

Do not look at the subtitles, and listen with a open mind. You will not hear "its only business" It is not possible thats what he said. I do know what he said, why don't you say what you think it is and not just stick with the first thing told to you.

Did you miss the part in my post, the part you quoted, where I said IMO he did say it? Yano in the bit that you quoted.

Did you miss the part in my post, the part you quoted, where I said IMO he did say it? Yano in the bit that you quoted.

This is different audio, try have another listen

This is different audio, try have another listen

What would you like me to think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah I'm fairly sure he's saying throwing kisses, he defo isn't saying 3 words anyway and I defo don't hear the word only

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fine clinches, as suggested earlier in the thread by someone is what it sounds like to me.

I thinking you are projecting a subtext on to it that doesn't exist.
    If he said "Relax, it's only business", "back off, it's only business" or similar. Then I'd agree that the 'I was only messing' parallel applies. But that wasn't what he said or the context.

The survival mode doesn't really apply either. The video clip that was circulated show Khabib ground and pounding, and Conor getting up to say it's only business. But that's a composite of different parts of the fight and not what actually happened. He didn't say it after getting battered, be said it after round 3, the round he won where Khabib failed to land a takedown. Khabib was getting frustrated after that round and shouting to Herb Dean. He says something to Conor. Conor pushes Khabibs head away with his head and says “it's only business” or whatever. I think people are making a mountain out of molehill here.

Fine clinches, as suggested earlier in the thread by someone is what it sounds like to me.

I'm the one who suggested fine clinches but after breaking down the audio the last word is 100% kisses. Fine kisses is what I think it is, kisses being slang for punches. Could be complimenting khabib on the punches he landed or just his reaction to the end of a round which was all on the feet.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    yeah I'm fairly sure he's saying throwing kisses, he defo isn't saying 3 words anyway and I defo don't hear the word only

I agree, only is nowhere to be heard and kisses is without a doubt the last word he said.

• Advertisement

Watching audio with subtitles is a waste of time, and it affects your brain processing the sounds from your ears. I believe it's called the McGurk effect.

I'm the one who suggested fine clinches but after breaking down the audio the last word is 100% kisses.

I agree, only is nowhere to be heard and kisses is without a doubt the last word he said.

So you know what McG sounds like when he is exhausted?

I mean maybe he was talking about kissing Khabib as he was under him, all sweaty, grinding on him....I mean maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And now I’m hearing “flying fishes” every time.

I won’t die happy until this riddle is solved.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm the one who suggested fine clinches but after breaking down the audio the last word is 100% kisses. Fine kisses is what I think it is, kisses being slang for punches. Could be complimenting khabib on the punches he landed or just his reaction to the end of a round which was all on the feet.

I disagree. I can't hear kisses at all there. Plus I don't think I've ever heard McGregor use the work kiss as slang for punch, he'd be more likely to say slap or something instead so I think it's reaching a little to say it's kisses. Regardless, it's difficult to make out exactly what he is saying so it's all speculation and guess work.

I disagree. I can't hear kisses at all there. Plus I don't think I've ever heard McGregor use the work kiss as slang for punch, he'd be more likely to say slap or something instead so I think it's reaching a little to say it's kisses. Regardless, it's difficult to make out exactly what he is saying so it's all speculation and guess work.

Press play/pause over and over the K and S are very apparent but there's no L

Press play/pause over and over the K and S are very apparent but there's no L

Once again I have to disagree. The L sound is faint but I can hear it and same with an NCH sound after it. However, there could be a lot of confirmation bias and hearing what you want to hear (that goes for me, you and every one arguing this) so I don't think it's worth expending too much time on it. I agree that regardless of what he is saying, even if it's 'It's only business' it isn't pathetic or a sign of weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

I hear Yanny

Once again I have to disagree. The L sound is faint but I can hear it and same with an NCH sound after it. However, there could be a lot of confirmation bias and hearing what you want to hear (that goes for me, you and every one arguing this) so I don't think it's worth expending too much time on it. I agree that regardless of what he is saying, even if it's 'It's only business' it isn't pathetic or a sign of weakness.

Just noticed the video has a 0.5x playback speed option, try that. The thing about 'its only business' is that bias can't come into it since there simply isn't enough words/syllables being spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I think his shorts are green, and anyone who sees blue is blind

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I think his shorts are green, and anyone who sees blue is blind

They are clearly white and gold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement