Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mellor wrote: »
    Copy and paste for the lazy.

Fairly fair assessment there imo. Concedes he made mistakes. That he wasn't switched on. He knows he only took the 3rd. and that the 2nd was the worst round of his career.

I said more or less the same thing about the big shot in the second. I really think it had a huge impact on the fight. Led directly to the mauling in the second. And the domino effect there is huge. Feel that a lot of people disregarded it beyond being a big shot.

No mention of his consistent rule breaking in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Acidogusto wrote: »
    Are you incapable of reading, he said Khabib won the first round.

Well he also said "from a fight standpoint the first round is mine."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

cliggg wrote: »
    Ah I don't know about that, he says I the whole time. It's well established at this stage that Conor does what he wants and doesn't like being told no by anybody. If he wanted to train more standup then he would tell John that and they would. They didn't speak for a few weeks after the Aldo fight either so I'd say it's normal for them. John had 2 or 3 fighters on the Bellator cards a week after the fight and Conor almost immediately went on his whiskey tour thingy so texts were probably the best way for them to communicate.

To be honest, I felt like Kavanagh was unhappy with the camp from what he said on Rogan's podcast. He said something along the lines of "If we do it again, we have to get back to an old-school training camp." In my head I imagined Conor was just coming and going as he pleased and basically setting the rules of the camp himself. When you see Roddy's vlogs I always found it a bit weird that there seems to be such separation between him an his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭505_

Nice honesty from mcgregor there at least. Some clinging to the fact khabibs huge right hand wasn’t a knockdown or didn’t do that much damage dispelled by mcgregor himself. The criticism of Kavanagh is interesting. Anyway hopefully he can come back more focused and give the rematch a better go whenever it may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Standman wrote: »
    To be honest, I felt like Kavanagh was unhappy with the camp from what he said on Rogan's podcast. He said something along the lines of "If we do it again, we have to get back to an old-school training camp." In my head I imagined Conor was just coming and going as he pleased and basically setting the rules of the camp himself. When you see Roddy's vlogs I always found it a bit weird that there seems to be such separation between him an his team.
    True that's a good point, it did seem like John wanted it to change. After the first Diaz fight I remember the same thing, John talked about how he'd be leaving the gym at 11 pm and Conor would just be arriving to train and when he lost they went back to how it used to be. Hopefully the same thing happens again. Also I liked the fact that Conor said his next fight doesn't have to be the rematch, if he is willing to fight Tony for the number 1 contender spot then that could be a cracker of a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He left out one glaring detail, something all the fans want to know. Was it:

It's only business
    Throwing kisses
    Fine clinches
    Flying fishes
    Washing dishes

Or something else completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

RoryMac wrote: »
    Well he also said "from a fight standpoint the first round is mine."

I read that as meaning that while Khabib won the round in the context of how it would be scored. the way the round played out isn't so binary because he felt he engaged and nullified Khabib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

'Listen to nobody but yourself on your skill set.'

Is Conor implying that the strategy was wrong from his team? And that his own skills were underestimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Yeah more than a little, pretty clear he feels the training camp & gameplan nullified his qualities and played into Khabib's hands.

In JK's interview with Ariel he said he didn't speak to McGregor after the fight and a week later hadn't spoken to him aside from a few texts, that surely can't be normal for a coach & fighter

Kavanagh said much te same on Joe Rogan a few days after the fight ...they went into the fight too defensive minded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

It comes back to conor simply was so focused on Khabibs TD ability all other areas where neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

djPSB wrote: »
    'Listen to nobody but yourself on your skill set.'

Is Conor implying that the strategy was wrong from his team? And that his own skills were underestimated.

It does seem to imply that he perhaps tempered his natural attacking instincts somewhat in favour of a more defensive plan by his team. I don't think it implies a problem with them necessarily but it does suggest he won't temper what he wants to do going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Wasnt there one of the round breaks in the fight where JK said dont stand with him which he ignored so it kind of answers those questions of not believing in his own skillset ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I will be back with my confidence high.
    Fully prepared.
    If it is not the rematch right away, no problem.
    I will face the next in line.
    It’s all me always, anyway.

Sounds like he's realised that the rematch ain't happening which is great.

So who's next in line for him?

Assuming Tony is out of the picture as he's (hopefully) getting a title shot that leaves Kevin Lee (who has an upcoming fight), Poirier (injured) or a rematch with Aldo or Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That is probably the most sensible post I've ever seen him write. His assessment isn't far wrong either which is nice to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Sounds like he's realised that the rematch ain't happening which is great.

So who's next in line for him?

Assuming Tony is out of the picture as he's (hopefully) getting a title shot that leaves Kevin Lee (who has an upcoming fight), Poirier (injured) or a rematch with Aldo or Diaz.

I'd like to see an Aldo rematch or Kevin Lee, I dont think fighting Diaz again is really going to do anything for him, Diaz will trade with him standing up & its just a case of having good cardio for Mcgregor then.

Aldo because there is a lot of history there and I dont think we ever got to see what a fight between them could be really like, id be very interested to see if Aldo tries to use any of his Ju-Jitsu & what his approach to the fight would be like.

Kevin Lee would be interesting also and would probably be the best preparation for him if he is likely to get another chance at Khabib.

Of course, this is only if Ferguson is being lined up for Khabib, if not, then absolutely that fight is the one to make imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

That's the kind of post alot of us have been waiting for. Good to read. Very honest. It's been said to death but he needs the camp of a lifetime to beat Khabib and he obviously didn't have that the first time around. Ring rust was definitely a factor, a fight in mid 2019 against a Pettis or someone leading into a rematch this time next year is what I hope happens.

And it clearly wasn't a fight standpoint that matters, it's the sport standpoint which matters and he gave the win to Khabib.

Since when are there different 'standpoints' in a bout?? He lost the first round on every conceivable standpoint

dulux99 wrote: »
    That's the kind of post alot of us have been waiting for. Good to read. Very honest. It's been said to death but he needs the camp of a lifetime to beat Khabib and he obviously didn't have that the first time around. Ring rust was definitely a factor, a fight in mid 2019 against a Pettis or someone leading into a rematch this time next year is what I hope happens.

It's a very positive comment from McGregor, it seems his hunger is back and rather than looking for the money fights as I had expected him to he intends on proving himself to be worthy of a title shot and to correct the mistakes he made first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Since when are there different 'standpoints' in a bout?? He lost the first round on every conceivable standpoint

He lost on points, but realised from a confidence point of view that he could spend a decent amount of time on the bottom of Khabib without taking much/any damage or have his cardio affected too badly.

He's just taking the positive as a win which is important for a fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Wasnt there one of the round breaks in the fight where JK said dont stand with him which he ignored so it kind of answers those questions of not believing in his own skillset ?

John said dont chase him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

John was right as well, walking him down was a bad move.

Even that looping overhand right which Conor got caught with, 99 times out of 100 he doesnt get hit with that in a fight. Look at his distance control v eddie and aldo, one of his greatest assets. Yet he was so intent on getting in on Khabib he neglected to notice that thing come from miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I think his next fight should be the likes of Iaquinta, someone like that. Someone that he'll probably beat. He could easily lose to Kevin Lee or Ferguson. He doesn't want two losses in a row.

Ah would you quit. 1 loss, and you want him fighting outside top 10 ranked fighters, that he'd "probably" beat?

Couple of little comments few of you have picked up on regarding "you know your own skillet", along with some small comments made by John on both Joe Rogan and the Helwani interview... Maybe all is not rosy in the garden between those two?

I think it's pretty obvious at this stage John Kavanagh is a small, decent level coach who coaches mostly pretty average fighters, and has been blessed with one star pupil. Apart from McGregor, at the top level (UFC and Bellator) SBG have had a torrid few years.

It would be fascinating to see McGregor go somewhere else for a camp. He'd have to swallow his pride in a big way to do that though, as he's often lambasted people who shift from camps to camp.

For me I think that's reading too much into what has been written.

For me I think that's reading too much into what has been written.

Probably.

But we're gossips. :D

Probably.

But we're gossips. :D

:pac:

I can't see him ever walking away from JK or SBG especially this late in his career, if he was going to do it the time was after Diaz 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Couple of little comments few of you have picked up on regarding "you know your own skillet", along with some small comments made by John on both Joe Rogan and the Helwani interview... Maybe all is not rosy in the garden between those two?

Kavanagh made similar comments when talking about the loss to Diaz before. He said that that before the loss their training patterns had changed. He said he'd be leaving the gym in the evening and Mcgregor would be coming in and there wasnt much contact, but they realized this and sorted it out before the rematch.

He is saying similar stuff this time around about their lack of contact e.g. being stopped by Conor's security staff when trying to approach and that his fame/business interests were taking up lots of time.

I also think the scene in Roddy's vlog was telling, when McGregor walks in and straight past them with a camera crew behind him. When you compare this to the scenes from Khabib's camp with the whole lot of them together singing. I know these are only 2 short scenes , but they show how the fame side of things impacts on his relationship with those around him and causes a separation that cant possibly be good for his training.

I wonder if they will be able to review things again as they did before Diaz 2 and come back strong. Hope so, but not sure they will.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads considering how long most of you are on boards this shouldnt need to be said but it seems some of you arent aware of the basics - if you are going to respond to someone attack the post, not the poster. Its quite easy to have civil discussion without needing to make comments towards a person just because you dont agree with what they wrote or think you are right and they are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement