Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Shows that he's rewatching the aftermath of the fight though.

I'd rather see him reflect on fight itself, and own it.

How do you know he's not? People project things on social media. It's like the entire idea of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

$500,000 fine for Khabib was pretty big, how much was his purse for the fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

All these jokes, smart comments from Mcgregor seem a bit hollow now after his pretty poor performance overall against Khabib. Instead of getting his head down and working harder to improve himself, he seems to just be interested in promoting himself.

I never liked him to be honest but I did respect what he achieved but he seems to be very lost at the moment. Caught up in making money instead of being the kind of man people fell in love with in the first place.

I think his own self belief, pride & arrogance has in a way been one of his greatest strengths but also one of his greatest weaknesses. His inability to listen and take proper advice from the right people around him has led him down a path of self destruction & after all, he is still a fairly young man at 30. To be honest, in a number of ways, he seems actually quite immature both emotionally & professionally. Yes, he has made a lot of money but I think its gone to his head and I think it will lead him down a road where he will regret it forever.

He seems to be lacking any sort of role model in his life & looking at his pops sometimes, its no surprise he has gone the way he has.

It probably took him a out 2 min to post that, are you suggesting he should be just training literally every min of every day?

He was actually a lot more active on social media and doing a lot more promotional stuff when he was on the way up KO'ing everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I don’t think he did as bad vs khabib as most think. 1st round he started off on the offense and got a few shots and kicks in. It’s hard not to get taken down by khabib and he defended the first few well. When he did he took no damage in the 1st. In 2nd seems the punch from khabib that landed changed everything, and after the inevitable take down he was lucky the fight wasn’t stopped after taking such a pounding. 3rd round was a non event with both of them catching their breath. But then in 4th he just couldn’t withstand the sheer power of khabib when taken down. Anyone would have tapped with their jaw being squeezed to the point of getting crushed. If they fight again who knows what might happen. Remember we win or learn. I hope to see them fight again with the belt on the line. 3 Mcgregor fights a year would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Muahahaha wrote: »
    $500,000 fine for Khabib was pretty big, how much was his purse for the fight?

Very heavy fine. His purse was $2m they withheld half so will give him back 500k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

and then let’s see you squirm

What're you a fúcking Bond villain? It's a load of lads on a message board, nobody is squirming

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 mistearious

D'Agger wrote: »
    What're you a fúcking Bond villain? It's a load of lads on a message board, nobody is squirming

that's fairly funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Effects wrote: »
    McNugget/McTapper fanboys.

I really thought mods banned people from using them names as they make the poster come across as an asshole.....which is true!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

All these jokes, smart comments from Mcgregor seem a bit hollow now after his pretty poor performance overall against Khabib. Instead of getting his head down and working harder to improve himself, he seems to just be interested in promoting himself.

I never liked him to be honest but I did respect what he achieved but he seems to be very lost at the moment. Caught up in making money instead of being the kind of man people fell in love with in the first place.

I think his own self belief, pride & arrogance has in a way been one of his greatest strengths but also one of his greatest weaknesses. His inability to listen and take proper advice from the right people around him has led him down a path of self destruction & after all, he is still a fairly young man at 30. To be honest, in a number of ways, he seems actually quite immature both emotionally & professionally. Yes, he has made a lot of money but I think its gone to his head and I think it will lead him down a road where he will regret it forever.

He seems to be lacking any sort of role model in his life & looking at his pops sometimes, its no surprise he has gone the way he has.

He's trying to sell whiskey before the arse falls out of it

Khabib fires back on insta with the clip of him tapping and captions "everything after doesn't matter". Well see that rematch before the year is out I think. Conor should have to beat Tony first.
    I see Porrier isn't happy with who they're offering him, , saying he only wants conor or tony, or hell fight Al if he gets paid more,,so maybe tony v conor is in the works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ideally it'd be a straight 4 man tournament, Khabib v Ferguson and McGregor vs Poirier, winners and losers face each other. Things are rarely that simple in the UFC anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

it's supposed to be pretty poor by all accounts.

I'd only try it if it was free lol.

if you want a decent whisky for cheaper the other bushmills -> black bush is a good choice imo
    Kinda ironic to call proper 12 piss then to recommend Bushmills as a decent whiskey. Just saying.

There's obvious a premium attached to McGregor's name. And Bushmills own is better "value". But I've no idea how people think Bushmills turns into pisswater in a proper 12 bottle.

I suppose that's the power of suggestion. The association with McGregors is so polarising, that the content doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

dulux99 wrote: »
    Ideally it'd be a straight 4 man tournament, Khabib v Ferguson and McGregor vs Poirier, winners and losers face each other. Things are rarely that simple in the UFC anymore though.

True. The simple answer to all this - and it's the one nobody here wants to hear - is that Khabib vs Conor is the biggest PPV they can promote right now, bar none. Maybe Conor V GSP would do more, Diaz would certainly run close, but will all this latest hysteria, it is the money fight.

Just saying, hoping it's not the case. But who here has faith in the UFC...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rob316 wrote: »
    Very heavy fine. His purse was $2m they withheld half so will give him back 500k.

I was thinking that alright. He has lost 25% of his purse so its a fair hammering. Defintely a very expensive 30 seconds for him and his corner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 mistearious

Mellor wrote: »
    Kinda ironic to call proper 12 piss then to recommend Bushmills as a decent whiskey. Just saying.

There's obvious a premium attached to McGregor's name. And Bushmills own is better "value". But I've no idea how people think Bushmills turns into pisswater in a proper 12 bottle.

I suppose that's the power of suggestion. The association with McGregors is so polarising, thstvthe content doesn't really matter.

Proper 12 is as I understand it, related to normal basic bushmills (which I don't like).
    Black Bush is a superior whisky.
    Just because it's related in some way to the same company doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

I was thinking that alright. He has lost 25% of his purse so its a fair hammering. Defintely a very expensive 30 seconds for him and his corner

Well to be fair it was all on him,he jumped the cage, he started a brawl and his "family" got involves and attacked Conor.

Whatever about Dillon but McGregor just tapped out,to go for a guy after that is low so repercussions should be sever

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If they fight again who knows what might happen.

80% chance Conor gets beaten again.

Never think so many people on this thread drank so much whiskey. Explains some of the absolute drivel being posted at times tho

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Never think so many people on this thread drank so much whiskey. Explains some of the absolute drivel being posted at times tho

I'd say most of them couldn't tell the difference between a good Irish whiskey and a cheap scotch that had been filtered through a horse..

Who am I to get in the way in a good internet 'discussion' though.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just because it's related in some way to the same company doesn't mean anything.
    What are you talking about. That means everything.
    Bushmills put that new make spirit in barrels to age in 2014 or so. At the time, they had no idea it would become proper 12. It would have been intended for original blend, or black bush, or whatever. They distil one type of spirt, that's it.

I also prefer Black bush over white label tbh. If could bet on it, I'd guess P12 is more towards that blend. But I doubt they'll ever release details.
    You're basically proving my point, preception is more important than content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Steve wrote: »
    I'd say most of them couldn't tell the difference between a good Irish whiskey and a cheap scotch that had been filtered through a horse..

Who am I to get in the way in a good internet 'discussion' though.. :D

Well for one thing Scotch is peaty, so if you can't taste that there's something seriously wrong with you

I suppose that's the power of suggestion. The association with McGregors is so polarising, that the content doesn't really matter.

What are you talking about. That means everything.
    Bushmills put that new make spirit in barrels to age in 2014 or so. At the time, they had no idea it would become proper 12. It would have been intended for original blend, or black bush, or whatever. They distil one type of spirt, that's it.

I also prefer Black bush over white label tbh. If could bet on it, I'd guess P12 is more towards that blend. But I doubt they'll ever release details.
    You're basically proving my point, preception is more important than content.

It's my understanding Proper 12 is a blend, not single barrel, or same batch of barrels at leas. Also, even though it is technically 3 years and 1 day old, which it has to be to be called Irish whiskey, there is a lot of caramel colouring added to it. So while in theory it's a whiskey, it's a cheap mongrel of a mix with the blend and all that colouring added.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

**** off lads, I'm off the drink at the minute so will ye piss off to the beer and spirits forum :pac:

**** off lads, I'm off the drink at the minute so will piss off to the beer and spirits forum :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

He made probably 3 times that in PPV money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Shows that he's rewatching the aftermath of the fight though.

I'd rather see him reflect on fight itself, and own it.

He already did that though. He gave his analysis of the fight in a social media post after and admitted being beaten fair and square.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭The Rooster

evil_seed wrote: »
    It's my understanding Proper 12 is a blend, not single barrel, or same batch of barrels at leas. Also, even though it is technically 3 years and 1 day old, which it has to be to be called Irish whiskey, there is a lot of caramel colouring added to it. So while in theory it's a whiskey, it's a cheap mongrel of a mix with the blend and all that colouring added.

FFS, most Irish whiskey adds caramel colouring! It's no big deal, doesn't impact on the taste at all.

I know Midleton premium doesn't add caramel, but definitely the majority do.

Same with scotch. More add than don't, e.g.
    Glenmorangie 25 year old - adds caramel
    Glenffidich 18 year old - adds caramel

In the states, you can't add it to Bourbon, but you can to Rye and other types. Although if it's called straight rye, that means no added colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

evil_seed I couldn't give a ****e about Proper 12 and will never taste a drop of it, but **** away off if you're going to spout ****e about stuff you clearly have no idea.

"Scotch is peaty"

No it's not. Some Scotch is, if they use peat in the drying process. So is some Irish if they do the same.

"It's my understanding that Proper 12 is a blend, not a single barrel, or same batch of barrels at least"

Almost all Irish whiskey is a blend of one sort or another. "Single" (either malt or pot still or whatever) means it comes from one distillery, not one barrel or one distillation batch.

Very little whiskey will be the product of a single distillation.

Proper 12 likely ain't great, but stop ****eing on as if you have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

evil_seed wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Ya big bag of gees :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

dulux99 wrote: »

Why would you seed the two lower ranked fighters against each other? That's idiocy.

There's no need for a tournament, there's a champion in place. Ferguson is next, anyone else can earn a shot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement