Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭xtal191

Khabib, Ferguson and Conor are a good few levels ahead of the rest of that division imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

xtal191 wrote: »
    Khabib, Ferguson and Conor are a good few levels ahead of the rest of that division imo

Khabib is a good level above McGregor and Ferguson too, i reckon. For such a stacked division i think it would all play out as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Khabib is a good level above McGregor and Ferguson too, i reckon. For such a stacked division i think it would all play out as expected.

Think it's Khabib and Tony then a fairly significant gap to Conor and Dustin. Tony's streak is more impressive than anything either Dustin or Conor have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

This has been published in national media now, so should be open for discussion.

Check out @IrishMirror’;s Tweet: <mod snip>

Mod Edit: Anything that is the subject of an ongoing legal case is not up for discussion, especially as it is not even MMA related.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tony's streak is more impressive than anything either Dustin or Conor have done.
    Conor hasn't done anything noteworthy recently. But I think people are in danger of forgoting that he was legitimately two division champ (back when he actually fought in MMA).
    Tony's streak is impressive purely because it's 11 fights. But there's a lot of mediocre fighters in there. His stand out wins are RDA, Lee and Pettis. Thos fights were pretty close at times. His fights didn't have the same kinda of dominance that Max or Khabib had in their insane streaks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads im out at the minute but needless to say there will be bans handed out when I get back. Some of you really need to cop yourselves on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Closing this for review,

You knew the rules, was your choice to break them..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Dante7 wrote: »
    This has been published in national media now, so should be open for discussion.

Check out @IrishMirror’;s Tweet: <mod snip>

Mod Edit: Anything that is the subject of an ongoing legal case is not up for discussion, especially as it is not even MMA related.

For the benefit of all:

Don't ever assume this.
    If it is not MMA related or if it is in any way on dodgy grounds as regards a potential court case, either don't post it or pm the mods to get permission.

OK Folks,
    I have removed the entire recent conversation for 2 main reasons:

1 - It has nothing to do with MMA and is not relevant to this forum at all.
    2 - It is the subject on an ongoing legal action and speculation / discussion is not allowed under site rules.

If you wish to read what the fuss was over, you can do so here.

NO FURTHER DISCUSSION OF IT HERE.

There may be further action taken on some of the comments posted, I am discussing that with the local mods.

Please be aware that deleted posts are still visible to MMA Mods, Sports CMods, and Admins.

Thread re-opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I think if Conor has a rematch with Khabib he’ll get taken to the ground and mauled. If that doesn’t happen then McGregor will knock him out in either the first or second round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Effects wrote: »
    I think if Conor has a rematch with Khabib he’ll get taken to the ground and mauled. If that doesn’t happen then McGregor will knock him out in either the first or second round.

I think he'd have a slightly better time second go round if he feared the wrestling a bit less and focused on keeping him at a distance to frustrate him into doing something rash, so he could punish him for it.

Then again, Khabib only needs to get hold of you once, usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,602 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think the whole 'he won the 3rd round' thing is actually a bad thing to be spouting. It showed how wrecked Conor was from being wrestled in R1 and 2, his power was gone in 3 and Khabib knew it. Like above, only way he wins is if he manages to keep distance and keep shooting a jab but I think Khabib will land a TD at some point in R1 and that will be it.

Fire the record, I think Conor has great wrestling and ground game but EVERYTHING goes out the window once the cardio is gone and I can't see him miraculously getting Diaz style cardio ever.

I would absolutely love to see Conor KO Khabib stiff but just can't see it happening.

There is absolutely a chance he can knock him out, he hits hard and accurately.

He also has great wrestling and BJJ but Khabib is relentless.

That's the problem when facing Khabib though, you're always focusing on the takedowns, hence how he landed that overhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Why are we rehashing all this again? We already know what would happen if conor fought khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He's fighting nobody

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Why are we rehashing all this again? We already know what would happen if conor fought khabib.

Would you prefer we turned back into TMZ and discuss all the other crap again?

It's an MMA thread, we're discussing MMA possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Conor could fight Khabib 50 times and be lucky to win 2 or 3. Khabib completely dominated the fight and there's nothing to suggest subsequent rematches would go any differently, no matter how much some people will look to cling into the "He won Round 3" stuff.

At this point, Conor would be an underdog against Ferguson. However, Conor's best shot at 155 gold is probably through Tony.

Tony's style is the best kind of style to combat Khabib. If he DOES beat Khabib, I'd expect him to go on and beat McGregor but it would be a closer fight than a McGregor v Khabib rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think the whole 'he won the 3rd round' thing is actually a bad thing to be spouting. It showed how wrecked Conor was from being wrestled in R1 and 2, his power was gone in 3 and Khabib knew it. Like above, only way he wins is if he manages to keep distance and keep shooting a jab but I think Khabib will land a TD at some point in R1 and that will be it.

Fire the record, I think Conor has great wrestling and ground game but EVERYTHING goes out the window once the cardio is gone and I can't see him miraculously getting Diaz style cardio ever.

I would absolutely love to see Conor KO Khabib stiff but just can't see it happening.

Neither could I ......Khabib will always get him down and sap the life out of him and the viewers ......boring as hell, like watching an anaconda squeeze the life out of a gazelle on the National Geographic cha for 25 mins (or 4 and a bit rounds)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Neither could I ......Khabib will always get him down and sap the life out of him and the viewers ......boring as hell, like watching an anaconda squeeze the life out of a gazelle on the National Geographic cha for 25 mins (or 4 and a bit rounds)

Some gazelles deserve it.

In fairness, Khabib is the absolute worst match up for Conor, but there is always a chance Conor wins.
    A small one, mind, but still a chance. MMA is funny like that. Only takes one clean punch/kick/elbow etc to change everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

Guys I’m just passing here and probably don’t have the knowledge of mma that a lot of you may have. I watch it a lot but I’m not in the ring doing what they do so everything I say about these lads is meant in a respectful manner.

Connor deserved the fight with khabib because of his past achievements. If the first time I seen connor was the khabib fight I’d say he had no stand up game and little wrestling game. He was in no state to be fighting a championship fight against one of the worlds best.

Khabib slack of boxing is touted as his week point but he outboxed the man who was once famed for his striking. I think there comes a time in every fighters career where they arnt that bothered anymore. I’m not sure he ever gets back to the level he was at where his reactions were hair trigger. I’m not sure he wants to be.

If he wants to knock it on the head and party for the rest of his life that’s up to him. I’d be surprised to see him fighting for the next few years unless he does organizes something fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Yup without the illegal knee in the second round Khabib would have got the submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd watch that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Khabib slack of boxing is touted as his week point but he outboxed the man who was once famed for his striking.
    Khabib landed the biggest punch of the fight. But there's a difference between that and out boxing somebody, imo. Out boxing, to me, implies superior stand up, striking, footwork for a reasonable amount of time and not just a big shot of a takedown feint.
    His fight with Tony is still wrestler v striker. And strikingbis still his weakness.

Somebody mentioned Tony's style being awkward for Khabib. I honestly think the opposite. Khabib is a terrible match up for Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

The man tweets after every event now just to stay relevant, im surprised he didnt call out page after the armbar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

Mellor wrote: »
    Khabib landed the biggest punch of the fight. But there's a difference between that and out boxing somebody, imo. Out boxing, to me, implies superior stand up, striking, footwork for a reasonable amount of time and not just a big shot of a takedown feint.
    His fight with Tony is still wrestler v striker. And strikingbis still his weakness.

Somebody mentioned Tony's style being awkward for Khabib. I honestly think the opposite. Khabib is a terrible match up for Tony.

I never said khabibs stand up was good. I said it was better than connors on the night. Big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

I'm no expert but didn't McGregor cheat in the Khabib fight? He was using the fence and kneed Khabib in the faced while on the ground? Wasn't Khabib going to break McGregors arm or something before the illegal knee?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭xtal191

Looks like he's at the Superbowl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

He's fighting nobody

Next opponent might be the DPP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement