Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Don't be surprised if he goes back to 145, lots of people going down in weight these days, same people who had to move up a while ago, you can make your own conclusions about why or how.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Mellor wrote: »
    Calories in, calories out
    Water in, water out

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

spix wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if he goes back to 145, lots of people going down in weight these days, same people who had to move up a while ago, you can make your own conclusions about why or how.

I would be surprised if he did go back to 145. He looked like a corpse the last couple of times he fought at 145.

Plus I don't think he has the will and the drive to diet down to that weight anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

It does it shows Khabib was the better fighter, no? Getting dropped by Khabib also? Getting sub'd?

Well I think we knew khabib was going to maul him if Conor didn't find his chin early, it was hardly a suprise. Didn't expect him to get hit with a haymaker .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Well I think we knew khabib was going to maul him if Conor didn't find his chin early, it was hardly a suprise. Didn't expect him to get hit with a haymaker .
    In fairness, even Khabib didn't expect it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Effects wrote: »
    Really?

Camps are high intensity. So it's just a case of auto regulating calorie intake over 12 weeks to hit a target pre-cut weight.
    I graph my weight change in the weeks leading up to comp to make sure I'm on target.

Once you're on target. The last week is simply a case of water manipulation. Water looks as, drop carbs and salts, piss away water weight, s d dehydrate yourself in the bath or sauna.
    It's pretty simple. The likes of Johnny Hendricks cock it up bevause that don't stick to the simple plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The likes of Johnny Hendricks cock it up because that don't stick to the simple plan. he loves burgers

FYP #JohnnyBurgers

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

derfderf wrote: »
    If you haven't seen a Justin Gaethje fight, go watch a Justin Gaethje fight. Absolute mayhem.
    Ok, watched his highlight reel ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viL-Zac-_Jw ) and he's certainly a crazy fighter hahah...

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

DeVore wrote: »
    Ok, watched his highlight reel ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viL-Zac-_Jw ) and he's certainly a crazy fighter hahah...

Gaethje with some mythical takedowns - I'd heard he could wrestle alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭cletus

Gaethje with some mythical takedowns - I'd heard he could wrestle alright!

Yeah, he was Division I All American

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

cletus wrote: »
    Yeah, he was Division I All American

He must be one of the dumbest fighter's in the UFC ,the way he fights makes zero sense when he is such a good wrestler,
    He won't be around much longer with the damage he takes , can't be good for his long term health ,

If he was just another wrestler he wouldn't be as popular or as well paid as he is.He won a bonus in all his UFC fights. He says numerous times he knows fans want exiting fights and wrestling doesn't fans. Fair play to him I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If he was just another wrestler he wouldn't be as popular or as well paid as he is.He won a bonus in all his UFC fights. He says numerous times he knows fans want exiting fights and wrestling doesn't fans. Fair play to him I say.

He lost 2 of his last 3 by ko only got his win as he dropped back down in competition ,

He won't be making much money if he loses every time he steps up to elite level ,
    Refusing to use his strengths to his advantage is stupid, even more stupid when it means you get punched in the face,
    His chin won't get any better with his style and its already giving up on him ,

He lost 2 of his last 3 by ko only got his win as he dropped back down in competition ,

He won't be making much money if he loses every time he steps up to elite level ,
    Refusing to use his strengths to his advantage is stupid, even more stupid when it means you get punched in the face,
    His chin won't get any better with his style and its already giving up on him ,

But he is making good money and hes one of the most popular fighters in ufc. He says he just wants exiting fights an that's what he gives. Taking punches is never a good idea but that's just his style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

He'd make better money by fighting smart. He could genuinely be a championship calibre fighter if he was willing to fight intelligently instead of using his face as his primary defence.
    He's appealing to the lowest common denominator and as a result he's destined to headline fight night cards hoping for fight of the night bonuses instead of getting PPV points.

It's idiocy.

He'd make better money by fighting smart. He could genuinely be a championship calibre fighter if he was willing to fight intelligently instead of using his face as his primary defence.
    He's appealing to the lowest common denominator and as a result he's destined to headline fight night cards hoping for fight of the night bonuses instead of getting PPV points.

It's idiocy.

So being a fan of striking more than wrestling is lowest common demonator? Every fighter has there own style, hes a brawler. He entertains the fans. Hes on what 200k plus 50k bonus? Good money

Ignore what I actually said and focus on one point.
    Make 250k tops getting CTE fighting on fight night cards in butt-fook-nowhere or make millions getting PPV in championship fights.

Yeah he's a genius.

His wrestling is elite tier.
    He's probably the only person on the LW division who could handle Khabibs wrestling but instead he's getting knocked out by Porier and getting tooled up by Eddie and James Vick because his preferred defence is walking face first into punches.

That's the lowest common denominator he's appealing to. He's happy to appeal to the "just bleed" morons instead of doing himself Justice.

Ignore what I actually said and focus on one point.
    Make 250k tops getting CTE fighting on fight night cards in butt-fook-nowhere or make millions getting PPV in championship fights.

Yeah he's a genius.

His wrestling is elite tier.
    He's probably the only person on the LW division who could handle Khabibs wrestling but instead he's getting knocked out by Porier and getting tooled up by Eddie and James Vick because his preferred defence is walking face first into punches.

That's the lowest common denominator he's appealing to. He's happy to appeal to the "just bleed" morons instead of doing himself Justice.

So people who like watching Gathje fights are "just bleed morons" ? You talking some poop here man.

Its that easy isn't it just use the wrestling and hell earn millions beating khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ya he really got "tooled up" by Vick....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So people who like watching Gathje fights are "just bleed morons" ? You talking some poop here man.
    you know that's not what he said.

Just bleed morons like sloppy brawls
    But not everyone that likes a sloppy brawl is a just bleed moron.
    Go back and look at why Gathje was brought up originally.

It's also stupid to group to use Gathje as an example of all striking. There are plenty of great strikers who using striking defense to fight smart.
    Its that easy isn't it just use the wrestling and hell earn millions beating khabib.
    Putting on a show might get you noticed. That's fine when you're a class above. But fighting in the top 10, you can't afford to give up an edge.
    If he had beaten Dustin and Eddie, he'd be in the top 3 calling out Khabib.
    Instead he's calling out Iaquinta.

• Advertisement

you know that's not what he said.

Just bleed morons like sloppy brawls
    But not everyone that likes a sloppy brawl is a just bleed moron.
    Go back and look at why Gathje was brought up originally.

It's also stupid to group to use Gathje as an example of all striking. There are plenty of great strikers who using striking defense to fight smart.

Putting on a show might get you noticed. That's fine when you're a class above. But fighting in the top 10, you can't afford to give up an edge.
    If he had beaten Dustin and Eddie, he'd be in the top 3 calling out Khabib.
    Instead he's calling out Iaquinta.

The doctor is in attendance.
    Thanks for putting to word's what wasn't bothered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The crazy part is he doesn't even use his wrestling as a plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If Gaethje fought smart and wrestled, he would just be another average UFC fighter, former wrestler from butt-f*ck nowhere with no personality, in my opinion. He'd have no fan base and no much leverage with regards to contract negotiations.

Even if he was good enough to wrestle his way to the top and fight Khabib, that fight will never have anything like the interest a McGregor fight would have.

Look at Diaz, I'd say he's been better paid than a huge amount of guys who "fought smart".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ush1 wrote: »
    If Gaethje fought smart and wrestled, he would just be another average UFC fighter, former wrestler from butt-f*ck nowhere with no personality, in my opinion. He'd have no fan base and no much leverage with regards to contract negotiations.

Even if he was good enough to wrestle his way to the top and fight Khabib, that fight will never have anything like the interest a McGregor fight would have.

Look at Diaz, I'd say he's been better paid than a huge amount of guys who "fought smart".

Diaz only got better paid because he fought McGregor. Up until that point he was on 20k show money + 20k win bonus. If it wasn't for the McGregor fights Diaz would still be on rubbish money.

Gaethje can still stand and brawl whilst also using his wrestling to limit some of the damage he takes and still have exciting fights that people want to watch. I hate the wrestle-humping but a bit of wrestling with some proper gnp in a 15/25 minute fight doesn't turn a great fight into a shít one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Diaz only got better paid because he fought McGregor. Up until that point he was on 20k show money + 20k win bonus. If it wasn't for the McGregor fights Diaz would still be on rubbish money.

Yes but his star rose because of how he fights and how he fought McGregor. Casual fans like that style more than grappling, just the way it is.
    Gaethje can still stand and brawl whilst also using his wrestling to limit some of the damage he takes and still have exciting fights that people want to watch. I hate the wrestle-humping but a bit of wrestling with some proper gnp in a 15/25 minute fight doesn't turn a great fight into a shít one.

It has only really started to go wrong for him in the last few fights in the UFC, he was undefeated after the Michael Johnson fight. IIRC he was trying once or twice to instigate wrestling against Poirier but got stuffed.

At the end of the day if a fighter likes to fight a certain way, it's very difficult to get them to change that. Plus there is no guarantee if he was to wrestle more he would do any better. Could end up losing a boring decision or just getting stuffed a lot, who really knows? But it would almost certainly involve less bonuses and less casual fans having an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Ush1 wrote: »

I don't really get your first point, so because he tries to stand he is not an average fighter with no personality?

If he used his wrestling where needed he would be an above average UFC fighter on the cusp of a title fight.

He is a dumb fighter, let's be honest, an all american that doesnt try wrestle to make an extra few quid? why because he has no personality to make money elsewhere except for bonuses. it's like people complaining about Maia always trying to go to ground.

if he beat Eddie and Dustin he wouldnt be fighting James vick next he would have been on a main card on the cusp of a title fight and PPV points, trumping anything he earned from getting rocked every fight

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I must admit that when I was watching the video I was thinking "wow, he swings wild... he'll get picked apart by the top guys". Kinda how Eddie was picked apart by Conor tbh... Its all fun and games until you run into someone clinical and who has power. He's an exciting fighter no doubt but he's not going to be top tier until he tames those wild haymakers. Holloway would kill him for example... and he's a division below him!

Exciting fighter? Definitely.
    Champ? Unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

No one is lasting 5 rounds against those leg kicks. If he used his wrestling to grind out rounds once he has blasted the legs the accumulative damage would leave his opponents in absolute bits by the fifth round

He certainly could fight a lot smarter and seems to have the tools to do so. Fight IQ doesnt seem to be there tho... but hey, he's out there doing it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭clsmooth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement