Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I just read on Facebook that McGregor has received a contract to fight cowboy

Doubtful. They need to sort out the issues with Nevada first I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Interestingly Tony Ferguson says he has some big fight news soon. Either a Khabib title shot or McGregor i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I know we're going off topic but doing 150 in a 100 zone is a conscious decision to not give a ****.

150km even on a motorway is ridiculously fast.

Tell that to the germans, its perfectly safe to drive at that speed on the m50 for example which is a 100 zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,162 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know we're going off topic but doing 150 in a 100 zone is a conscious decision to not give a ****.
    My post, and the post I was replying to, weren't specifically about the speed McGregor was going but speeding/drunk driving generally.

Obviously you can invent a situation where going 250km/h is more dangerous than blowing .055 going 30km.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

VW 1 wrote: »
    Tell that to the germans, its perfectly safe to drive at that speed on the m50 for example which is a 100 zone.

It really isn't.

120 is ok, ish, in the 100 zone but 150 is stand out speed. you come from nowhere and disappear into the distance very quickly. people won't expect you to be moving at that speed so all you need is one person to do something silly, or two as one is speeding, and you're toast. considering the amount of accidents already on that road it's a huge risk.
    Mellor wrote: »
    My post, and the post I was replying to, weren't specifically about the speed McGregor was going but speeding/drunk driving generally.

Obviously you can invent a situation where going 250km/h is more dangerous than blowing .055 going 30km.

ah yeah i know, but the way you phrased how a drunk would drive in my mind is how I would describe how someone doing 150 in a 100 zone would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

It really isn't.

120 is ok, ish, in the 100 zone but 150 is stand out speed. you come from nowhere and disappear into the distance very quickly. people won't expect you to be moving at that speed so all you need is one person to do something silly, or two as one is speeding, and you're toast. considering the amount of accidents already on that road it's a huge risk.

ah yeah i know, but the way you phrased how a drunk would drive in my mind is how I would describe how someone doing 150 in a 100 zone would be

Infairnes at 70/80/90/100 whatever speed all you need is someone to do something silly and your toast.

I'm not sure if you have drove on the continent but if you think 150 in a 100 is shocking then I'd avoid ever driving there. I regularly see cars driving 200kmh not a bother to them when I'm driving to work. In the grand scheme of things 150kmh/90mph isnt that bad on a motorway, nowhere near as bad as drink driving in my opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,162 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I see what your saying. I didn't mean to suggest speeding is not a conscious decision. I was stressing the "in advance" part. Sinking 6 pints at the pub, knowing you're parking outside and driving home takes a special kind of wanker imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I just read on Facebook that McGregor has received a contract to fight cowboy

Needs the money with a 3rd baby on the way

jon1981 wrote: »
    Needs the money with a 3rd baby on the way

Third that we know about :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

You have to feel for the girlfriend, she's getting some abuse on her Instagram page .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,608 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

jon1981 wrote: »
    You have to feel for the girlfriend, she's getting some abuse on her Instagram page .

What is the context to this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Axwell wrote: »
    Lads this is an MMA forum, if you want to talk gossip and tabloid level nonsense then take it to the after hours thread..

Few of you seem to have missed the warning..there wont be another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,085 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not condoning his speeding, but he could probably get to 100 kph in 3rd gear in the cars he drives...

If you have never broken the speed limit in Ireland then you probably have never really driven....some of the limits and roads where the speeds are implemented are ludicrous. It's almost more dangerous in sompe places to stick to the limit.

Bigger point is his absolute contempt for the courts and society as regards these offences. That was shown in his last speeding offence...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

walshb wrote: »

It's almost more dangerous in some places to stick to the limit.

I what situation is everyone sticking to the same limit dangerous? Just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Not condoning his speeding, but he could probably get to 100 kph in 3rd gear in the cars he drives...

The same can be said for most cars, in fact most 90's Hondas would be 130kph+ at the top of 3rd gear. When I got stopped for speeding years ago the Guard said to me, just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you have to drive it fast. Fairly simple but true enough.

What date is the hearing in Nevada? Anybody betting on a fight announcement just after?

I what situation is everyone sticking to the same limit dangerous? Just curious

Well, check some of those 30 kph zones......

There was one, think it has since been changed, off the M50 heading Northbound leading you to Blanchardstown.....fooking 30 kph as you exited the M50.....An absolute deathtrap. Cars going from 100 and 120 to suddenly being asked to hit 30 on a wide open type road with a fair bit of traffic....

We've all been in 50 zones where you are falling asleep trying to do 50.....wide roads and plenty space, and empty at times and there you are struggling to keep it at 50....

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

The benefits/detriments of speed limits has been the highlight of this thread for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Well, check some of those 30 kph zones......

There was one, think it has since been changed, off the M50 heading Northbound leading you to Blanchardstown.....fooking 30 kph as you exited the M50.....An absolute deathtrap. Cars going from 100 and 120 to suddenly being asked to hit 30 on a wide open type road with a fair bit of traffic....

Oh yeah, fair. I was thinking of old country lanes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Axwell wrote: »
    Few of you seem to have missed the warning..there wont be another one.

You have a whole second page of warnings to hand out there so with all that speeding ****e talk and what not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I'm not trying to start up any "it's only business" or "fine kisses" arguments again but these are Khabib's words from an interview yesterday:

Q:there are words exchanged throughout the fight, I'm curious about that and did you meet and have a dialogue with Conor after the fight?

The eagle: " I was the one who talked as usual, you saw it yourself. But he..I don't know. Maybe he forgets the language he speaks. He didn't really want to talk. He's not open for discussion. I said "Let's talk". He only said "it's business" .he only tried to calm me down, that's how I understand this. And we didn't meet after the fight Why should we?"

Q: what did you feel when Conor tapped? Was it the same feeling when the President of Russia called you?

Khabib: "when the President called, I felt happy. But when he tapped, I was frustrated. I will explain why I felt frustrated. You know when you have worthy opponent you enjoy competing with him to share the cage with him. But for that man, thousands people come to support him and he taps in front of them. And then he tries to explain to people how good a fighter he is. After all was said, you can't tap. If you stepped in, then fight till the end. When he tapped I thought "is that who I have been preparing for?" .
    When you have to share with unworthy opponent , you feel frustrated. That's how I feel."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

cliggg wrote: »
    I'm not trying to start up any "it's only business" or "fine kisses" arguments again but these are Khabib's words from an interview yesterday:

Q:there are words exchanged throughout the fight, I'm curious about that and did you meet and have a dialogue with Conor after the fight?

The eagle: " I was the one who talked as usual, you saw it yourself. But he..I don't know. Maybe he forgets the language he speaks. He didn't really want to talk. He's not open for discussion. I said "Let's talk". He only said "it's business" .he only tried to calm me down, that's how I understand this. And we didn't meet after the fight Why should we?"

Q: what did you feel when Conor tapped? Was it the same feeling when the President of Russia called you?

Khabib: "when the President called, I felt happy. But when he tapped, I was frustrated. I will explain why I felt frustrated. You know when you have worthy opponent you enjoy competing with him to share the cage with him. But for that man, thousands people come to support him and he taps in front of them. And then he tries to explain to people how good a fighter he is. After all was said, you can't tap. If you stepped in, then fight till the end. When he tapped I thought "is that who I have been preparing for?" .
    When you have to share with unworthy opponent , you feel frustrated. That's how I feel."

Khabib is basing what he said off what the youtube video quote said, same as everyone else. Of course it also suits him to say that's what he heard so he's obviously going to repeat it when asked in interviews. In the corner that round he asked his coach if it was round 3 or 4, he also said something else to his coach to which his coach replied 'what?' as he was out of it, no way he remembers anything. Even if he could remember, you think he's going to understand something Conor said mid fight when he can barely understand him outside of the fight? Btw, Conor also called him a pussy a few times in round 2 when he was on his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

spix wrote: »
    Khabib is basing what he said off what the youtube video quote said, same as everyone else. Of course it also suits him to say that's what he heard so he's obviously going to repeat it when asked in interviews. In the corner that round he asked his coach if it was round 3 or 4, he also said something else to his coach to which his coach replied 'what?' as he was out of it, no way he remembers anything. Even if he could remember, you think he's going to understand something Conor said mid fight when he can barely understand him outside of the fight? Btw, Conor also called him a pussy a few times in round 2 when he was on his back.
    The other member of the conversation and you are still in denial! Get over it McGregor wanted out of there so bad he was praying to be submitted and was trying to calm Khabib down !

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    The other member of the conversation and you are still in denial! Get over it McGregor wanted out of there so bad he was praying to be submitted and was trying to calm Khabib down !

Want a link to the audio? Sure, just believe what khabib says instead of using your own ears, of course he's telling the truth! Khabib didn't need calming down he had just spent the last minute of that round lying against mcgregor on the cage. Khabib also contradicted himself in the next question, in another interview recently he said mcgregor was right to tap and had no other option, now he has a completely different tone about the submission. That shows how much you can believe the answer to his first question.

And if you check my previous posts I don't just defend mcgregor all the time, just people who bring up this 'its only business' crap are clearly haters.

Conor said that because 1 person who made a video told me so.
    Conor said that cause khabib told me so. The same person who said in an interview before the fight that he can't understand anything mcgregor says due to his accent.

Truth = We want that to be what Conor said because it lets us hate on him. Don't talk about denial please. Anyone who thinks conor said 'only business' after listening to the audio whilst ignoring the subtitles is the most obvious case of denial I've ever seen. It's not even remotely close to sounding like that and that's a fact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah he didn't say "it's only business"

that second paragraph is quite the smack down from Khabib though

yeah he didn't say "it's only business"

that second paragraph is quite the smack down from Khabib though

Its bs though, if that's what he really thought he would've said it in previous interviews as well. Is he actually now trying to blame Conor tapping for his post fight rage + jumping the cage? First it was because of what he said before the fight and now its because he was mad conor let his fans down :D Ok khabib, we believe you!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I don't blame Conor for tapping.

I don't blame Khabib for being frustrated with the outcome either, given all that preceded it.

On the fence, but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Eoinbmw wrote: »

Totally agree. McGregor totally was afraid of Khabib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Jesus Spix let it go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement