Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should old Disney movies be banned in the era of #MeToo??

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hurrache wrote: »
    True, she was only given legs wasn't she, as opposed to being changed into a human?! Might make for an interesting wedding night.

If a man pretended to be a girl to get another girl into bed, there be war in the media!!!!:D:D

I actually can't understand how you can think or imply that having an issue with giving up your voice for a man is a baseless position.

I think my position is that any one of us should be told we can give up anything we want - to get what we want. Because it is _ours_ to give up.

And the idea that giving it up for a man is to be derided rather than anything else one might aspire to get or achieve - is missing the point of feminism entirely.

Because then someone _else_ is making the judgement on _your _behalf on what _you_ should or should not be making _your_ sacrifices for. Looking at a character like that who gave something up for a man - and deciding vicariously on her behalf she should not have done that - is not empowering women. Quite the opposite. It is limiting them by telling them that by virtue of being female - there are things they should not consider making sacrifices for. Even if they _really_ want to.

If someone wants to give up their voice for a man - more power to them. That is their life goal - and only they get to choose what sacrifices they can or will make to attain it. Having someone else come in and say "For a man - puhleeese" and suggest there is something wrong with her choice or goals - well it is _them_ that has the problem. Not the person making their sacrifice by their own consent.

So I would suggest what I "think or imply" on the issue is just fine thanks :)
    smilerf wrote: »
    Bugs Bunny in Africa and guess what there are Africans there. Who would have thunk it.

Hah reminds me of a story from John Hamill recently when he was talking about the blasphemy laws. He wrote an article that got censored by the magazine he wrote it for. Solely because within it he referred to Mary as a carpenters wife.

The editor dropped the article because it might be seen as blasphemous. Which was funny because the bible itself tells us Mary was the wife of a carpenter so the editor suggesting she was _not_ a carpenters wife was more likely to be the one being blasphemous.

I am sure some peoples hearts are in the right place when they worry about Mary and Africans. But their genuine concerns do result in them jumping on or for the most abject nonsense at times and being the ones themselves that are more racist or blasphemous than the thing they thought they were decrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

Back in 2011, Warner Brothers released a two disc Blu Ray set of classic Tom & Jerry shorts. The first volume in what was intended to be three, the cartoons were completely uncensored. All the studio had to do was include a disclaimer at the beginning of each disc, informing you that the films you were about to see were the product of a certain time, attitudes have changed etc etc. They were unanimously praised, and if you look on Amazon US you'll see almost overwhelmingly five star reviews. Just before the 2nd collection was about to be released word got out that two of the more controversial shorts wouldn't be included. There was a petition started to reinstate them, which had the effect of Warners cancelling the whole project - Not because of some imaginary 'PC' backlash, but simply that the studio didn't like the public telling them what to release.
    So this whole thread is the usual AH Daily Express hysteria. We're actually living in an era where uncut, uncensored versions of previously butchered films are becoming more common. Not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Back in 2011, Warner Brothers released a two disc Blu Ray set of classic Tom & Jerry shorts. The first volume in what was intended to be three, the cartoons were completely uncensored. All the studio had to do was include a disclaimer at the beginning of each disc, informing you that the films you were about to see were the product of a certain time, attitudes have changed etc etc. They were unanimously praised, and if you look on Amazon US you'll see almost overwhelmingly five star reviews. Just before the 2nd collection was about to be released word got out that two of the more controversial shorts wouldn't be included. There was a petition started to reinstate them, which had the effect of Warners cancelling the whole project - Not because of some imaginary 'PC' backlash, but simply that the studio didn't like the public telling them what to release.
    So this whole thread is the usual AH Daily Express hysteria. We're actually living in an era where uncut, uncensored versions of previously butchered films are becoming more common. Not the other way around.

that sounds like the studio was self censoring on the back of the perception that there would be a pc backlash. That's the tactic right, instil fear in corporate wonks.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There seems to be an awful lot of men getting all upset over their beloved girly-Disney films being denigrated.

Oh lordy, what a time to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There seems to be an awful lot of men getting all upset over their beloved girly-Disney films being denigrated.

Oh lordy, what a time to be alive.

I never thought they were films specifically for girls in the first place?

But that aside, it’s Ms. Knightley’s interpretation of the film I take issue with, because it’s not just a reinterpretation, it’s a misrepresentation of the film as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

it’s a misrepresentation of the film as a whole.

It's based on a Hans Christian Andersen tale which is suspected to have homosexual undertones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's based on a Hans Christian Andersen tale which is suspected to have homosexual undertones.

Yes but to be fair to her, Kiera Knightley isn’t responsible for that interpretation of the original fairy tale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

#MeToo for that idea!

According to Kristne Bell, the Handsome Prince should have let Sleeping Beauty (or Snow White - whoever) die, because he didn't have written consent for a peck ???

****'s sake love - try protesting Boko Harum or the mass rape of Yazidi girls and women by ISIS.

Not a f**king cartoon. Mad wagons.

Spot on.
    You are becoming my favourite poster on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Jaysus!.......just.....Jaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

If a man pretended to be a girl to get another girl into bed, there be war in the media!!!!:D:D

c9f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Wait till this Metoo movement ever watches the cartoon Johnny Bravo...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Book burner culture further grows

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Some of the banned Warner Bros cartoons can be seen on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She told Parenting Magazine that Snow White sends the wrong message about consent to children.

She spoke about her daughters Lincoln, five and Delta, three and said: "Every time we close Snow White, I look at my girls and ask, 'Don't you think it's weird that Snow White didn't ask the old witch why she needed to eat the apple?

"'Or where she got that apple?'"
    So... woman gives woman poison, and it's the mans fault?

meeeeh wrote: »
    And I have a little girl who was running around with a wand trying to turn everyone into a frog and telling anyone who called her a princess that she is a girl not a princess. It wasn't because we would encourage her, she just never wanted to be a princess. She also laughs at her own farts.

Just because some are all misty eyed about the cartoon they saw when kids, it doesn't mean today's kids will go for the same stuff.

It certainly doesn't. Every child is an individual and regardless of what cartoons and films are popular they will find their own way. I also had a tractor and a box filled with toy cars :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

It certainly doesn't. Every child is an individual and regardless of what cartoons and films are popular they will find their own way. I also had a tractor and a box filled with toy cars :)

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we could just go back to letting kids be kids.

:(

Advertisement